The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

- Robert P. Jones -
https://www.salon.com/2023/11/06/apocalypticism-polling-expert-reveals-the-root-of-panic-among-conservative-christians/

"As I document in The Hidden Roots of White Supremacy, most white evangelicals sincerely believe that God designated America to be a promised land for white European Christians. That is not a joke to them. If a person sincerely believes such a thing and the country is changing and is not in agreement with that vision, it opens the door to political extremism and violence to secure that outcome. Many conservative White Christians truly believe that they have a divine mandate and entitlement to the country."

Steve Thomas

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

- Robert P. Jones -
https://www.salon.com/2023/11/06/apocalypticism-polling-expert-reveals-the-root-of-panic-among-conservative-christians/

"As I document in The Hidden Roots of White Supremacy, most white evangelicals sincerely believe that God designated America to be a promised land for white European Christians. That is not a joke to them. If a person sincerely believes such a thing and the country is changing and is not in agreement with that vision, it opens the door to political extremism and violence to secure that outcome. Many conservative White Christians truly believe that they have a divine mandate and entitlement to the country."

Steve Thomas

Steve,

Back in the day, I studied the history of religion in America with Brown University Professor William McGloughlin-- a protege of the late, great Harvard historian, Perry Miller.

One thing that many people don't know is that the (liberal) American Baptist church in America --founded in Providence, Rhode Island by Roger Williams in the early 17th century-- split with the "Southern Baptist" church over the issue of slavery in the 1850s.  In effect, the American Baptists were Abolitionists.  (The Ante-Bellum rift between American Baptists and pro-slavery Southern Baptists persists even today.)

Roger Williams had actually abolished slavery in Rhode Island in his original 17th century charter for the colony, and he was also the first American colonial leader to establish freedom of religion and separation of church and state in his colony-- more than a century before Jefferson and the Bill of Rights.

(The oldest synagogue in the U.S. is the Tauro Synagogue in Newport, Rhode Island.)

Roger Williams-- a Cambridge grad and friend of the English poet John Milton-- was also the first person to translate Biblical scriptures into a Native American language-- Narragansett-- and to publish a Native American dictionary in English, his 1643 opus, A Key Into the Language of America.

A Key into the Language of America - Wikipedia

Roger Williams believed in respect for Native Americans, and the acquisition of Native American land only through legitimate and fair purchase.  He was well liked and respected by Native Americans in Rhode Island.

I mention these things partly because I was raised in the (liberal) American Baptist church and graduated from Brown, (where the graduation ceremonies are still held in Roger Williams' First Baptist Church in Providence.)

So, needless to say, I always cringe when I hear people associate Protestantism with slavery, racism, Native American genocide, and Manifest Destiny.  Sadly, that association is accurate for many "Evangelical" Protestants in U.S. history, and today.   But there is also a "liberal Protestant" tradition in the U.S., which, among other things, played an important role in the 19th century Abolitionist movement to free the slaves.

When I was a teenager, I also participated in a successful movement in which the American Baptist Church in the U.S. divested itself of all stocks in the armaments industry during the Vietnam War.  We were "libs."

Edited by W. Niederhut

My attempt to post a normal size photo, in this case of a group of Palestinians in bombed out Gaza sharing a rare meal, was rejected by the EF for the following reason: " I file would exceed the total allowed size of 222.517kB, and was skipped"  

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

The outrageous behavior that Trump gets away with never ceases to amaze me.

He's like a petulant, conduct-disordered 5th grader who constantly breaks the rules and tests limits.

Two anecdotes about Trump's childhood (and adult) character pathology come to mind.

According to his former elementary school classmates, young Donald would never admit that he had done something wrong-- even when it was painfully obvious to his teachers and peers.

And he once punched his music teacher in the eye, after shouting that his music teacher, "(didn't) know anything about music."

Very similar, in a sense, to Trump's latest inaccurate, insulting attacks on Judge Engoron.

Edited by W. Niederhut

‘Handed a death sentence’: UK doctor forced to return to Gaza from Egypt | Israel-Hamas war | The

Guardian

From the article: 

“I feel like a second class citizen. They dealt with Ukrainians and Afghans better than us.

Speaking through tears, he said he was concerned not just for himself but the thousands of Palestinians who had been killed. He asked: “How can anyone be so heartless as to say the number dead is not accurate. I think the number is understated. There are so many in the rubble. I have been to the hospitals. I know how they work and most medical services have been stopped. People with heart attacks are not being treated. I think the death toll is much higher.”

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Wall Street Journal article today:

"EV Makers Resort to Discounts to Combat Waning Demand"

"Buyers wanting to get a bargain on a new car might consider an electric vehicle.

As sales have slowed for battery-powered models, automakers and dealers are slashing prices and piling on discounts to clear out unsold inventory.

Some automakers, such as Hyundai Motor and Ford Motor, are offering this month cash rebates as high as $7,500 on some models. Others are resorting to aggressive lease deals that offer cheaper monthly payments or shorter contracts lengths to attract buyers. Many car companies are offering low-interest rate promotions to make EVs more affordable."