The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Okay now, here is where my idea has a twist. As I mentioned, changing candidates midstream is usually a bad idea. Wouldn't it be better if we could wait and see how Biden does in the second debate before tossing him out?

By then it would be way too late. It would look desperate. 

So you're actually holding up hope that Biden would kick ass in  second debate, and that's your strategy Sandy?

Come up with something more realistic. 90% of the people who are staunchly Biden probably aren't like you counting on Joe to completely turn around the second debate. You know Trump may not even debate? My guess is if Joe's not having  bad day, even if he won, he'd look like some old guy yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

Part of the problem Sandy, is his lack of urgency since. Ok, next day he had a good teleprompter. Still it took him a week to engage with Stephanopoulus. I would say the polls show him down 2%. But he's going to have to gain at least 5 to have a chance in the Electoral College. Where does he get that? In order to get that he's going to have  to be so much more vigorous, it might kill him, hopefully not, but how is he going to make it through 2028?

We all want to defeat Trump, but Bill's right. I haven't once heard you take in account Biden's health despite the fact that some of us have been telling you about this for over a year.

I would disagree with you about the MSM coverage of this at least in one aspect in that I think they've backed off on the fact that Biden just keeps creating gaffes! He can't help it!

This was in the Stephanopoulos interview. This was an important question I also would have Biden to gauge what was his awareness of how badly he was doing during the debate.

Did you really see the MSM picking on this?

"And Biden’s answer to whether he grasped how badly it was going in real time — well, that could have been typical Biden rambling, something that those of us who have covered him have witnessed for years, or it could have been more."

Biden’s response, in its entirety: “The whole way I prepared, nobody’s fault, mine. Nobody’s fault but mine. I, uh — I prepared what I usually would do, sitting down as I did come back with foreign leaders or National Security Council for explicit detail. And I realized — about partway through that, you know, all — I get quoted, the New York Times had me down at 10 points before the debate, nine now, or whatever the hell it is. The fact of the matter is, what I looked at is that he also lied 28 times. I couldn’t — I mean, the way the debate ran, not — my fault, no one else’s fault, no one else’s fault.”

So do I get labelled as being a  "twitter Biden hater" for just bringing this up?

That's another big part of the problem.

55 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

So you're actually holding up hope that Biden would kick ass in  second debate, and that's your strategy Sandy?

Come up with something more realistic. 90% of the people who are staunchly Biden probably aren't like you counting on Joe to completely turn around the second debate. You know Trump may not even debate? My guess is if Joe's not having  bad day, even if he won, he'd look like some old guy yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

Part of the problem Sandy, is his lack of urgency since. Ok, next day he had a good teleprompter. Still it took him a week to engage with Stephanopoulus. I would say the polls show him down 2%. But he's going to have to gain at least 5 to have a chance in the Electoral College. Where does he get that? In order to get that he's going to have  to be so much more vigorous, it might kill him, hopefully not, but how is he going to make it through 2028?

We all want to defeat Trump, but Bill's right. I haven't once heard you take in account Biden's health despite the fact that some of us have been telling you about this for over a year.

I would disagree with you about the MSM coverage of this at least in one aspect in that I think they've backed off on the fact that Biden just keeps creating gaffes! He can't help it!

This was in the Stephanopoulos interview. This was an important question I also would have Biden to gauge what was his awareness of how badly he was doing during the debate.

"And Biden’s answer to whether he grasped how badly it was going in real time — well, that could have been typical Biden rambling, something that those of us who have covered him have witnessed for years, or it could have been more."

Biden’s response, in its entirety: “The whole way I prepared, nobody’s fault, mine. Nobody’s fault but mine. I, uh — I prepared what I usually would do, sitting down as I did come back with foreign leaders or National Security Council for explicit detail. And I realized — about partway through that, you know, all — I get quoted, the New York Times had me down at 10 points before the debate, nine now, or whatever the hell it is. The fact of the matter is, what I looked at is that he also lied 28 times. I couldn’t — I mean, the way the debate ran, not — my fault, no one else’s fault, no one else’s fault.”

So do I get labelled as being a  "twitter Biden hater" for just bringing this up?

Yeah, Kirk, and a key issue related to Biden's obvious, disastrous debate performance is his prognosis.

If he does, in fact, suffer from early-stage Parkinsonism, as it appears to me, do his supporters think he is going to spontaneously get better this year, or in 2025?

That belief is inconsistent with the natural history of Parkinsonism-- a progressive, neurogenerative disease-- although, treatment with dopamine agonists could, certainly, help.

The 2024 polls, and the horse race, are getting a lot of attention, but there is the larger issue of Biden's fitness for executive office from 2025-29.

Also, notice that there are no references to Gavin Newsom in the mainstream media lately, other than Bill Maher raising the possibility of Newsom replacing Biden as the 2024 Democratic nominee.

My hunch is that the billionaires who own the corporate media really don't want a candidate like Newsom running against their Felonious Orange Taxcutter in 2024.

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I had decided well before the debate that I would not vote for Biden because I give him an A on domestic policy but a F+ on foreign policy. He proudly claims to be a Zionist, which means he splits his loyalty between the U.S. and Israel. No president has ever done something like that. The New York Times today reports he has approved sending more 500-pound bombs to Israel, which is now a pariah in in the international community. The global reputation of the U.S. is not far behind.

I live in Texas, where Trump will win, so my vote for Biden would not make a difference. I shall vote for all the Democratic candidates on the ballot except for Biden. If the Democrats nominate someone else for president, I shall vote for whoever that is.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

- Lyndon B. Johnson -

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Migrants anyone?

Steve Thomas

15 hours ago, Bill Fite said:

So the idea here is that if Biden does well - it's a coin flip whether or not he's functional at any point in the future - 1 good debate performance vs. 1 bad one.  Small sample, but that's all we got.

And then 50% of OK & 50% of incapable of functioning is better than 100% of awful.

OK so far.  But...

Here's the problem: (according to 538)

• While Trump has a 54% unfavorable rating vs 42% favorable
  • Biden has has 57% unfavorable to 38% favorable 
  • People don't like either one but amazingly Biden fares worse

Why does the Democratic Party insist on nominating candidates people do not like?

Well put Bill!, though it is interesting that people who think Biden should continue, completely discount failing health and the progression of his condition.  But It's this.

Bill: Here's the problem: (according to 538)While Trump has a 54% unfavorable rating vs 42% favorable

Biden has has 57% unfavorable to 38% favorable 

• People don't like either one but amazingly Biden fares worse

Why does the Democratic Party insist on nominating candidates people do not like?

That is the great underlying question, the great ocean to sample. How many people are out there who positively won't vote  for either candidate( mostly because they're too old) who would vote for a new candidate purely to be given some new alternative? Most polling says that should make a good difference.
More recent polls say Harris is now outperforming Biden and pulling even with Trump. This is probably based only on the fact that she has the recognition of having a sort of mediocre 4 years as VP.

Here is Gretchen Whitmer last night on Colbert. I've seen her under pressure and death threats in the past and it was nice to see her more relaxed.  I think she did well. 
There are 2 parts to the interview. The second segment is the link below the picture.

I see Biden at the Nato meeting just introduced Zelensky as President Putin!i He did correct himself  soon enough.

The second segment.

https://youtu.be/Ifi_Oi350Dk

I watched a fair bit of the press conference. Right now I'm thinking about the aging effect of the Presidency we've seen on some Presidents, like, say, Jimmy Carter, and now, President Biden. My impression is that the guys that work the hardest suffer the most from the process.

I think Biden's grasp of many things is still exemplary, and without question blows away anything Donald Trump could ever cobble together. But I am concerned that the rigors of the Presidency would be bad for his health. I think it would be better for him to be viewed as an elder statesman now; a close confidant and consultant. My admiration for him runs deep but it might be best for him personally to pass the baton.

10 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

I watched a fair bit of the press conference. Right now I'm thinking about the aging effect of the Presidency we've seen on some Presidents, like, say, Jimmy Carter, and now, President Biden. My impression is that the guys that work the hardest suffer the most from the process.

I think Biden's grasp of many things is still exemplary, and without question blows away anything Donald Trump could ever cobble together. But I am concerned that the rigors of the Presidency would be bad for his health. I think it would be better for him to be viewed as an elder statesman now; a close confidant and consultant. My admiration for him runs deep but it might be best for him personally to pass the baton.

Amen. 

Ever since that horrible debate I keep thinking of those warning signs on the ski slopes--

"KNOW YOUR LIMIT.  SKI WITHIN IT!"

14 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

I had decided well before the debate that I would not vote for Biden because I give him an A on domestic policy but a F+ on foreign policy

To me, Biden's vote to give the Axis of Stupidity (w, Cheney, Rummy, Dr. Condi) the Authority to Use Force in Iraq in 2002 was a clear signal of his lack of good judgement.

Obama picking Biden as VP and Clinton as Sec of State was a disaster as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Bill Fite