The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

4 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

With those as the choices I’d say Zappa. He was brilliant in his assessments of how societies are organized.

(insert annoying buzzer sound) -  sorry that is not correct  - 1 down 3 to go

I do wish Zappa had hung around to comment on the goings-on in today's world.

Edited by Bill Fite

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

(insert annoying buzzer sound) -  sorry that is not correct  - 1 down 3 to go

I do wish Zappa had hung around to comment on the goings-on in today's world.

I'll go with Hunter.

14 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

I'll go with Hunter.

annoying buzzer noise - nope - 2 down 2 to go -- 

I wish Hunter was around also.  Always enjoyed his articles.

45 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

annoying buzzer noise - nope - 2 down 2 to go -- 

I wish Hunter was around also.  Always enjoyed his articles.

Kurt Vonnegut?

(I know nothing about Margo Kidder.)

P.S.  I met Kurt's son, Mark Vonnegut, at a Harvard Med School dinner in (?) 1979 or 1980.

I had read his book, The Eden Express, about his psychotic break and hospitalization in Vancouver.

He recovered, and graduated from HMS in 1979, then did a pediatric residency at Mass General.

56 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Kurt Vonnegut?

(I know nothing about Margo Kidder.)

P.S.  I met Kurt's son, Mark Vonnegut, at a Harvard Med School dinner in (?) 1979 or 1980.

I had read his book, The Eden Express, about his psychotic break and hospitalization in Vancouver.

He recovered, and graduated from HMS in 1979, then did a pediatric residency at Mass General.

That's the winner. 

Kurt Vonnegut wrote some interesting essays for In These Times magazine where this is from.  Always wanted to meet him, just to say thanks.  Any time I was in NYC I always kept an eye out just in case I might see him on the streets.

The Cold Turkey essay at the link is well worth the 5-10 minutes reading time.  Highly recommended.

Link to articles - Your guess is as good as mine 

Margot Kidder - the actress who played Lois Lane in the 1st Superman movie was a political and environmental activist (& supported Bernie)  & wrote articles on Counterpunch.  She was quite radical.  Wikipedia has a good summary of her activism. 

Edited by Bill Fite

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

I personally think this is the way we should settle things in our Congress"

https://apnews.com/video/turkey-prisons-recep-tayyip-erdogan-a16c6f3c22354bfaa74cd6fa1f532d4d

Steve Thomas

Steve,

I must confess that my schadenfreude would be considerable if I saw any of the following clips;

1) Eric Swalwell punching Matt Gaetz in the mug.

2) Anyone punching Ted Cruz in the mug.

3) AOC punching Lauren Boebert in the mug. 😂

Edited by W. Niederhut

On 8/16/2024 at 7:41 AM, Steve Thomas said:

- Donald Trump -

"We gave her (tMiriam Adelson) the Presidential Medal of Freedom. It’s much better than the Congressional Medal of Honor because soldiers get the Congressional. And they’re in very bad shape because they've been hit so many times by bullets or they're dead. She gets it and she's a healthy beautiful woman, and they're rated equal." 

Bunch of suckers and losers.

Steve Thomas

I'm going to play psychiatrist. Trump's constant mantra is "I haven't done anything wrong." So naturally he has to rationalize his finding a doctor to say he had bone spurs to keep him out of the military. How does he do it? Denigrate the military, of course. It was only right for wrongless Trump to stay out of such a place.

Geez... James Comer, Gym Jordan, and the MAGA stooges in the House have no shame.  None.  🙄

House GOP targets Democratic VP candidate Tim Walz in new probe (axios.com)

Edited by W. Niederhut