The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Supposedly running, as a Democrat, at the behest of Steve Bannon. Very unfortunate.

How did RFK, Jr. get mixed up with these right wing jokers?

Quite a depressing contrast with the old Kennedy/Harvardian brain trust of his father and uncles.

New York judge in Trump arraignment reportedly receives ‘dozens’ of threats

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/06/trump-arraignment-judge-juan-merchan-threats

“Threatening calls, emails and letters to Juan Merchan and his family come following arrest of ex-president in hush money case.”

“Citing two sources familiar with the matter, NBC said the threats, like those recently directed towards the Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, and other officials, had come in the form of calls, emails and letters.”

This is Mexican Drug Cartel stuff.

Steve Thomas

The Supreme Court is such a bad joke anymore.  From Citizens United to McConnell holding a position open for near a year, to Kavanaugh and more.  Like the 2000 presidential election.  I'm no expert on it but from what I remember of it Thomas should have never been confirmed.

Clarence Thomas reportedly received years of gifts from GOP donor, stirring scandal (msn.com)

16 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

The Supreme Court is such a bad joke anymore.  From Citizens United to McConnell holding a position open for near a year, to Kavanaugh and more.  Like the 2000 presidential election.  I'm no expert on it but from what I remember of it Thomas should have never been confirmed.

Clarence Thomas reportedly received years of gifts from GOP donor, stirring scandal (msn.com)

Ron,

By an odd coincidence, I happened to have watched Clarence Thomas's live/televised Senate confirmation hearings back in the day-- a bit unusual because I was usually working long hours in those days, and I rarely watched T.V.

I was aghast, and perceived that the man was, evidently, a sleazeball.  (My local Congresswoman Pat Schroeder coined the term "sleaze factor" in those days to describe GHWB's administration.)

Ultimately, Arlen "Magic Bullet" Specter focused on trying to kill the messenger, Anita Hill, during those hearings, and Uncle Clarence Thomas played the victim by claiming that he was being subjected to a "high tech lynching." 

The Senate, ultimately, brushed off the disturbing allegations about Thomas-- as in the Brett Kavanaugh case--and approved GHWB's flawed SCOTUS nominee.

Thomas went on to cast critical votes in the controversial 5-4 Bush v. Gore, Citizens United, and Shelby v. Holder rulings.

Edited by W. Niederhut

I remember thinking from the little I saw on the news and read in the news paper that Anita Hill seemed much more believable than Thomas.  What woman would put herself through such if it wasn't true?