The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Trumpism will endure': NY Times writer warns 'grasping' extremists are using ex-president

By Travis Gettys June 7, 2024

https://www.rawstory.com/msn-uk/donald-trump-crime/

- (FNU) Bouie, New York Times columnist -

“Trump’s illiberal claim to personal authority is the opportunistic grasping of ideologues who see the former president as a vehicle for their aims," Bouie wrote.

"He will help them expel immigrants, destroy the welfare state and roll back the political and cultural settlements of the 1960s, the 1970s and beyond."

Trump governed on behalf of the legitimate people of the United States, who Bouie said are to him a narrow, exclusive group defined by race, religion and ideology, and those Americans have returned his favor with a loyalty that will likely outlive him, the columnist wrote.”

"Among more ordinary supporters of Trump’s authoritarian designs, there is fear at work," Bouie wrote. "Fear that the country has been lost. Fear that elections won’t be enough to win it back. And a belief, fueled by that fear, that democracy is an obstacle to putting the nation back on track."

"Which is just to say, in another form, what we already know to be true: Trump can lose in November, but as long as millions of Americans feel this fear as deeply as they do, Trumpism will endure," Bouie added.”

Steve Thomas

Had to laugh when I saw this headline juxtaposing howler monkeys and Trump fans-- although, admittedly, this heat dome is a serious climate catastrophe.

94 F in windy Denver right now, and we dodged the worst of it.

I've been playing golf from 6-9 AM lately, before the heat gets up to 70.

Many years ago, I was treating a patient who was a very wealthy, arch-conservative businessman here in Denver.

He loved Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, and he told me that he had just attended some sort of local Republican event, for heavy rollers, where Scalia was the keynote speaker and guest of honor.

At the time, I was deeply troubled by this story.  Naturally, I didn't burden or upset my patient by talking about my own political views, but I privately wondered what in the hell a SCOTUS justice was doing at a highly partisan political event.

Geez... I didn't know the half of it...  🙄

Database Reveals 'Staggering' $6.6 Million in Gifts to Supreme Court Justices | Common Dreams