The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I think we may see a replay of 2011 this year, when the GOP Tea Party House held the country hostage by refusing to raise the debt ceiling for Obama, (after raising the debt ceiling seven times for Bush & Cheney.)

In like manner, these same House Republicans raised the debt ceiling three times for Trump, while giving $2 trillion in tax cuts to billionaires and corporations.

And they are, apparently, willing to sabotage the U.S. economy in order to sabotage Biden.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Will Trump testify?

Updated Apr 27, 2023 - Politics & Policy

Key takeaways from E. Jean Carroll's civil rape trial against Trump

Jeff Knutson, AXIOS

Kaplan previously said Trump was under no legal obligation to testify or attend the trial. The judge said Carroll had indicated she did not intend to call him as a witness.

• Trump's lawyers previously asked Kaplan to instruct jurors that Trump "wishes to appear" at the trial but his presence would be too logistically burdensome on the courthouse and New York City.
  • Kaplan pushed back on the claimed burden of Trump's appearance and denied the request, saying it was "premature."

https://www.axios.com/2023/04/25/e-jean-carroll-civil-rape-trial-donald-trump

Yeah, Ron, Aspen was remote in the early 60s, and Vail was undeveloped. 

Colorado was a vast wilderness area in those days.

I had to look this one up-- they didn't pave Independence Pass until 1967.  (They finally paved Cottonwood Pass a few years ago.)

W, and Leslie.  I didn't want to distract any further from her Lafitte thread but got to thinking about Vail and going past it to Rifle in I think 1964, maybe 63, I was 6 or 7 on that first deer hunting trip with my dad.

In early October 2019 my wife and I stayed four days in Dillon, on the lake.  One day we went to Leadville and rode the train through the changing aspens, another to Vail and Gilman.  Then one past Arapahoe Basin ski area and down the other side of Loveland pass to come back through the Eisenhower tunnel, which I'd never been through before.  The east side of that pass is one hairy bear.  A narrow one lane each way.  I can't imagine eighteen wheelers once having to use it.

This made me think of the trip to Rifle.  We had to have gone over that pass.  The first Eisenhower tunnel opened in 1973.  We must have left after dad got off work.  I dozed off somewhere west of Denver as it got dark.  Woke up and we were in a closed grocery store parking lot.  Dad was putting chains on the truck tires with a flashlight.  I don't know if I asked why or he just told me.  When he came to gaps in the mountains to the north where the full force of the wind hit the truck was sliding (south) on patches of snow or ice on the road.  If this was Idaho Springs, before Loveland pass, I can't imagine going up that road under those circumstances.  Maybe more likely Frisco, before Vail pass, not so hairy?

I think I may have mistook Frisco possibly for Vail on the way back.  Vail was there, it opened in 1962, one gondola and four (?) chair lifts, no "town" to speak of, maybe I missed it.  I remember stopping to eat chili in an A frame restaurant on the side of the road in a heavily forested area I've always thought was Vail.  The Interstate today does not go through the forest.  Maybe the highway did then.  Maybe dad said we'll stop and eat after we get over Vail pass.

Enough personal memories on a thread about national, international, state or even local issues.

I do think outside of Aspen in the mid 60's would have been a good pace to stash Vosjoli in spite of the Aspen Institute's presence.

11 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Yeah, Ron, Aspen was remote in the early 60s, and Vail was undeveloped. 

Colorado was a vast wilderness area in those days.

I had to look this one up-- they didn't pave Independence Pass until 1967.  (They finally paved Cottonwood Pass a few years ago.)

W, and Leslie.  I didn't want to distract any further from her Lafitte thread but got to thinking about Vail and going past it to Rifle in I think 1964, maybe 63, I was 6 or 7 on that first deer hunting trip with my dad.

In early October 2019 my wife and I stayed four days in Dillon, on the lake.  One day we went to Leadville and rode the train through the changing aspens, another to Vail and Gilman.  Then one past Arapahoe Basin ski area and down the other side of Loveland pass to come back through the Eisenhower tunnel, which I'd never been through before.  The east side of that pass is one hairy bear.  A narrow one lane each way.  I can't imagine eighteen wheelers once having to use it.

This made me think of the trip to Rifle.  We had to have gone over that pass.  The first Eisenhower tunnel opened in 1973.  We must have left after dad got off work.  I dozed off somewhere west of Denver as it got dark.  Woke up and we were in a closed grocery store parking lot.  Dad was putting chains on the truck tires with a flashlight.  I don't know if I asked why or he just told me.  When he came to gaps in the mountains to the north where the full force of the wind hit the truck was sliding (south) on patches of snow or ice on the road.  If this was Idaho Springs, before Loveland pass, I can't imagine going up that road under those circumstances.  Maybe more likely Frisco, before Vail pass, not so hairy?

I think I may have mistook Frisco possibly for Vail on the way back.  Vail was there, it opened in 1962, one gondola and four (?) chair lifts, no "town" to speak of, maybe I missed it.  I remember stopping to eat chili in an A frame restaurant on the side of the road in a heavily forested area I've always thought was Vail.  The Interstate today does not go through the forest.  Maybe the highway did then.  Maybe dad said we'll stop and eat after we get over Vail pass.

Enough personal memories on a thread about national, international, state or even local issues.

I do think outside of Aspen in the mid 60's would have been a good pace to stash Vosjoli in spite of the Aspen Institute's presence.

Ron,

My guess is that your grocery store stop where your dad put chains on the tires in the blizzard could have been in Georgetown or Dumont, Colorado.  The steep trek up I-70 to the old Loveland Pass road (in the days before the Eisenhower Tunnel was built) began in earnest around Georgetown.

The east side of Loveland Pass is still a very scenic, slightly hairy two-lane drive in the winter.  I sometimes take that scenic route home on sunny days after skiing at Keystone-- adjacent to the Arapahoe Basin ski area on the west side of Loveland Pass.

Nowadays, I often see young snowboarders who have parked along the Loveland Pass two-laner and hiked up the slopes before cruising down.

US 6 Loveland Pass to close overnights through mid-February for planned  maintenance work | Local News | gazette.com

Donald Trump Jr calls Ireland’s proposed hate speech laws ‘insane’

By Niamh McGovern 05/01/23

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/donald-trump-jr-calls-irelands-proposed-hate-speech-laws-insane/a1527623981.html

“Donald Trump Jr has taken aim at Ireland’s proposed new hate speech legislation, labelling it “insane””.

“The eldest child of the former US president was responding to a Tweet highlighting aspects of the legislation, called the Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022.”

“The legislation is long awaited as Ireland does not currently have specific laws dealing with hate crime.”

“Responding to a tweet about the upcoming laws, Mr Trump Jr, whose father visits Ireland for two days this week, wrote: “It’s insane what’s happening in the ‘free world’.” “

Now why would Donald Trump, Jr. be concerned about hate speech in Ireland, just before his father visits that country?

Hmmm… let me think for a minute.

Steve Thomas

I would like to congratulate Marjorie Taylor Greene for the massive support she receives from the constituents in her District in Georgia.

Marjorie Taylor Greene's quarterly filing shows only 6 donors from her district

by David Edwards May 1, 2023

https://www.rawstory.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-donations/

“Quarterly filings from Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene show that the Georgia Republican only received six donations from her constituents.

Rome News-Tribune first reported on Greene's FEC filings, showing $601,517 in total receipts and $1,593,578 in total disbursements. Greene indicated she had $966,133 on hand as of March 31.

The paper observed that only six donors who live in Greene's 14th congressional district contributed to the lawmaker. Those donations were said to total just $2,300.”

Steve Thomas