The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

8 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

I lived outside Rifle for seven years in the mid-90's.

Good times.

Steve Thomas

Over the hill from W, so to speak.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

My guess is that your grocery store stop where your dad put chains on the tires in the blizzard could have been in Georgetown or Dumont, Colorado.  The steep trek up I-70 to the old Loveland Pass road (in the days before the Eisenhower Tunnel was built) began in earnest around Georgetown.

The east side of Loveland Pass is still a very scenic, slightly hairy two-lane drive in the winter.  I sometimes take that scenic route home on sunny days after skiing at Keystone-- adjacent to the Arapahoe Basin ski area on the west side of Loveland Pass.

Nowadays, I often see young snowboarders who have parked along the Loveland Pass two-laner and hiked up the slopes before cruising down.

US 6 Loveland Pass to close overnights through mid-February for planned  maintenance work | Local News | gazette.com

Loveland made me think of Monarch, in a different respect.  Two lane each way in parts.  Going down east in the outside  slow right lane next to the drop off's with local Coloradoan's flying by is kind of freaky, though I loved skiing there.  Seems the CDT agrees with me.  Then again I didn't think about Red Mountain/the million dollar highway from Silverton to Ouray.  Which I've done in the summer in my wife's small ford freestyle with an obviously local in a crew cab black f-150 towing a trailer with 2 atv's on it ridding my ass for several miles, pushing me around the 15 mph switchbacks at 20 mph before he could finally pass me.  To ride the guy in front of me a couple of miles before he could pass him.  They have a monument for snow plow drivers who have died on/going off this road.  I would not go down it in snowy/icy conditions for a million bucks.

The 7 most dangerous winter roads in Colorado | OutThere Colorado

R.I.P. Gordon LIghtfoot.  Terrific folk singer/song writer.

Interesting that so many great folk singer/song writers grew up in Canada-- Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Robbie Robertson, Bruck Cockburn, et.al.

Gordon Lightfoot, Canadian Folk-Rock Troubadour, Dead at 84

Brilliant songwriter penned classics like "If You Could Read My Mind," "Early Morning Rain," Sundown, and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

BY ANDY GREENE Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/gordon-lightfoot-dead-obituary-1234716529/

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - The second best song ever written - after White Rabbit by the Jefferson Airplane.

Steve Thomas

Here's a loose association-- about Canadian song writers.

A few years ago, my daughter said, "Hey, Dad, I think you may like this song."

It's by a young group from Canada called the Strumbellas.

I keep hoping that Millennials and Generation Z will eventually vote Republican gun nuts out of government.

I thought I'd read Sundown was autobiographical but it says here he would never discuss it in interviews.  Also, since I first heard it I've loved Marty Robbins number one (country) version of Ribbon of Darkness but never knew it was written by Gordon Lightfoot.

Gordon Lightfoot Dead: 'Edmund Fitzgerald' Folk Singer Was 84 - Variety

New York Times headline:

Trump Will Offer No Defense in Rape Trial, His Lawyer Says

The lawyer said he would call no witnesses to rebut E. Jean Carroll’s account of being assaulted at Bergdorf Goodman. The case could go to a jury early next week.

Trump business blunder is costing him over $1 million a month: Forbes
By Tom Boggioni May 3, 2023
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-business-disaster/

"According to Forbes business analyst Dan Alexander, the former president and real estate developer made a big business miscalculation right after leaving office that centers on a three-building office complex in San Francisco.
Initially, Trump’s strategy looked smart, as he began with a roughly 2% interest rate while Vornado paid 2.26%. But in early 2022, after the Fed realized that inflation was not going to go away on its own, it jacked rates—and sent Trump’s interest expenses soaring," the report notes before adding, " America’s most famous real-estate tycoon is now contending with an estimated 5.93% rate at the property, putting him on track to hand over $21 million of annual interest expenses, $13 million more than he would if he had followed Roth’s lead and locked in a fixed rate at the outset."
As a result, Alexander is reporting, "The Trump Organization is now on pace to pay an estimated $51 million of interest across all of its properties this year, roughly 30% more than it paid the year Trump left the White House."

Steve Thomas