The Education Forum

Charles "Boots" Askins, Harlon B. Carter and the Dallas INS

Read Larry Holland's "Tipping Point". A Green Beret bud who later joined the Agency and spent his entire career behind the Iron Curtain introduced me to a Marine Sniper who was flown back from Vietnam and then to Dallas to be the backup to two antiCasto Cubans who were the shooters in Dallas. I've verified his claim with several spec ops buds. I'm currently working on my 4th book. This one is on gunfight survival and I have no interest either writing a book about the assassination or being involved in such a project I'm perfectly happy being a grandpa to 33 grandkids and 7 great grandkids.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Dresser - Bush family connection. Could you summarize the SWRI connection?

Equally significant if not more so is Dresser president Neil Mallon's decades-long friendship with Allen Dulles who he hosted in Dallas on October 28/29 where AWD spoke before the World Affairs Council about his concerns for Algeria, in spite of that nation's successful independence from France in Mar 1962.

I'm speculating that the field test laboratory near San Antonio was a component of Tom Slick's SWRI as featured here:  https://www.swri.org/industries/ballistics-explosives

I think you've discussed the Green Beret buddy before, I asked why you're unwilling to identify those he claims were shooters in Dallas, and I believe you said something about your word being your bond. Fair enough. Would you at least elaborate on who they allegedly reported to?

Congrats on all those offspring!

He never id'd them by name. He simply stated they were survivors of the Bay Of Pigs. He never fired a shot. He was just there in case they missed-he had lost a family member at the BOP and considered JFK responsible for their deaths.

54 minutes ago, Evan Marshall said:

He never id'd them by name. He simply stated they were survivors of the Bay Of Pigs. He never fired a shot. He was just there in case they missed-he had lost a family member at the BOP and considered JFK responsible for their deaths.

Are you arguing they were disgruntled Cubans acting on their on accord without benefit of financing or technical support?

2 hours ago, Evan Marshall said:

Read Larry Holland's "Tipping Point". A Green Beret bud who later joined the Agency and spent his entire career behind the Iron Curtain introduced me to a Marine Sniper who was flown back from Vietnam and then to Dallas to be the backup to two antiCasto Cubans who were the shooters in Dallas. I've verified his claim with several spec ops buds. I'm currently working on my 4th book. This one is on gunfight survival and I have no interest either writing a book about the assassination or being involved in such a project I'm perfectly happy being a grandpa to 33 grandkids and 7 great grandkids.

Larry Hancock wrote Tipping Point.

At 80 years of age, I'm surprised I can remember my name! They were both actively involved with JM Wave but did not do it for money. I called in a lot of favors with spec ops and agency friends. I was never focused on the id of the shooters because if you know the why you'll know the who!

41 minutes ago, Evan Marshall said:

At 80 years of age, I'm surprised I can remember my name! They were both actively involved with JM Wave but did not do it for money. I called in a lot of favors with spec ops and agency friends. I was never focused on the id of the shooters because if you know the why you'll know the who!

. . . without benefit of financing or technical support?

Jack Cannon? A much better suspect than Charley. Was one of the old China hands of OSS and Mitch Werbell told me he was the only guy he worried about.  Col Bob Brown, retired Vietnam era Green Beret and publisher of Soldier Of Fotune magazine gave me a one word answer when I asked who he had shot JFK. Cubans!

Edited by Evan Marshall

3 minutes ago, Evan Marshall said:

Jack Cannon? A much better suspect than Charley. Was one of the old China hands of OSS and Mitch Werbell told me he tne only he worried about.

I read that he was so crazy some guys under his command tried to have him removed.

We think JACK (Joint Advisory Commission, Korea) was the glue that binds these guys for a decade: 

Joint Advisory Commission, Korea which included US military intelligence officers Brig. Gen. Edwin Anderson WalkerHans V. TofteLt. Col. Philip James CorsoMaj. Gen. Charles Andrew Willoughby, George E. AurellCol. Albert Richard HaneyCharles Tracy BarnesCol. Joseph "Jack" Young Canon, William Alexander "Rip" RobertsonNestor D. Sanchez, Col. Benjamin Hayes "Vandy" Vandervoort.

Lafitte first writes Askins on September 12 followed by a question mark. On October 2, he writes Askins-Willoughby o.k.  Then on October 8, he writes 848 JA (followed underneath by) ADD ASKINS, (Harvey)

[Do you have a clue what 848 might designate?  The numbers run from Jan - Oct in the Lafitte datebook. One researcher speculates it's a very basic pigpen cipher.]

Canon first ppears in the Lafitte datebook on September 14. with the initials S + V (followed by a question mark); November 21 reads, Willloughby team — Canon (and underneath) (Z. org.) D. (and underneath) S/O.

The final entry for Canon:

Canon - Home
Shells - Souetre
(November 26)
W teams returned FK
(November 28)
— Lafitte datebook, December 4, 1963

First I read the book. Second, I've been focused on this since 11/22/63, when I came home from classes at BYU in Provo, Utah, and watched Walter Cronkite announce that JFK had been assassinated. I watched Ruby shoot Oswald. I read the 26 volumes of the WC and knew there was a conspiracy. I know a guy who helped Allende commit suicide and the people involved in such events don't keep a detailed, written record.

1 hour ago, Evan Marshall said:

First I read the book. Second, I've been focused on this since 11/22/63, when I came home from classes at BYU in Provo, Utah, and watched Walter Cronkite announce that JFK had been assassinated. I watched Ruby shoot Oswald. I read the 26 volumes of the WC and knew there was a conspiracy. I know a guy who helped Allende commit suicide and the people involved in such events don't keep a detailed, written record.

We've heard that argument.  If "people involved in such events" don't keep a detailed, written record, why do hundreds of researchers still contend the government did? 

No doubt you're aware there are known exceptions including Win Scott and George Hunter White so it's logical to argue that Lafitter — who was operating outside any semblance of the protocol Scott and White were bound by —  had no compunction about maintaining private records. The question has long been "why".  It he meant them as a security blanket, he was never compelled to employ them; if he meant them for blackmail, he never employed them; and if he planned to profit, why didn't he pick up the phone in the '70s or '80s and sell his files to the highest bidder?

Edited by Leslie Sharp

Ever see Win Scott's files? Angleton did. Listen to Malcolm Blount discuss the empty boxes at NARA that were supposed to contain lots of files and were empty or almost so. There were all sorts of US agencies operating in Mexico City in the early 60's whose files we've never seen and most likely never will.

An old Green Beret master breacher told me if they'd have searched the car parked near the overpass folks would have never believed the lone nut theory.

Edited by Evan Marshall