The Education Forum

Charles "Boots" Askins, Harlon B. Carter and the Dallas INS

1 hour ago, Evan Marshall said:

Ever see Win Scott's files? Angleton did. Listen to Malcolm Blount discuss the empty boxes at NARA that were supposed to contain lots of files and were empty or almost so. There were all sorts of US agencies operating in Mexico City in the early 60's whose files we've never seen and most likely never will.

An old Green Beret master breacher told me if they'd have searched the car parked near the overpass folks would have never believed the lone nut theory.

I thought the issue was whether anyone involved would maintain a written record.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you had any idea of the pressures and heat in a rifle barrel you'd understand why an ice bullet is reserved for fiction writers. Not a single rifle round fired into JFK was recovered in him.

.My view of all this is simple. The shooters are dead, the planners are dead and for me at least ut has been solved. Charley had a history of running his mouth including carelessly talking about the people he murdered. When you pick people for a sensitive mission such as this you choose people who can keep their mouths shut.

. . .a letter from Joseph Milteer (himself a racist and far right associate of Willoughby and Walker) to Charles Askins pertaining to a forthcoming meeting of one of the myriad clandestine organizations that the radical right was running during the ’60s, indicating very “hush-hush” stuff.  —  Jeffrey H. Caufield, M.D.  General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: The Extensive New Evidence of a Radical-Right Conspiracy

As seen below, Milteer’s letter to Askins was a personal invitation to a gathering on October 8,9,10, 1963. Under the heading "Joseph A. Milteer and the H. L. Hunt Oil Company”* Jeffrey Caulfield writes,  

What Miller’s “success” with Hunt Oil company was, in regard to the "SURVIVAL meeting” (as Milteer typed it in a letter) is not clear, although the Hunts were prodigious contributors to the far right.  Evidence presented in Chapter Seven that Milteer handled money for the national far right was suggested by his establishment of a bank account in Provo, Utah, under an assumed name.  In another letter, Milteer wrote to Colonel Charles Askins from San Antonio, Texas, and stated he had just written Colonel Stahl regarding a “SURVIVAL meeting” to be held near Montgo0mery, Alabama, on October 8, 9, and 10 and wished to invite Askins too.  The group planned on meeting at the Coliseum Motel before moving to an undisclosed meeting place.  Milteer wrote that a barbecue dinner was planned, prepared by a white person that they could trust.  Milteer stated, “every precaution has been taken for our welfare and the meeting will not be bugged.  Nor will there be any intruders.  The nature of the meeting was not discussed.  Milteer expected that twenty to thirty individuals would attend and some were noted to have an interest in the Constitution Party.  He stated that there would be no publicity.  Milteer wrote a similar invitation to William Ferrasie of New Jersey.  In another letter, Milteer wrote “George” and stated that the “SURVIVAL meeting” could not be held in Atlanta, due to fears that it would be bugged.  He told him, “We are anxious to get matters started our way and get the show on the road.”
The meaning of the ’SURVIVAL meeting” remains a mystery, but given the distance the attendees were expected to travel, the meeting was evidently of great importance.  Moreover, it was the first time Milteer spoke of attending a meeting where careful security measures were being taken . . . ‘

*Note: Caufield notes that Miller's meeting at Hunt Oil was in 1965, but it’s unclear whether he had known Hunt at the time of his correspondence with Askins et al in 1963.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

I met Charlie in the mid 70's shortly after starting my career as a gun writer while being assigned to Detroit's Tactical Unit. Normal patrol units had two officers, but we worked a 3-man crew. We were marked units in uniform, but we did not receive radio runs and had 8 hrs to look for trouble. Our primary duties were active shooters and riot control. I was trained and qualified as a dept sniper. Because I was a white Detroit copper people assumed my views and they would open up around me because my bone fides spoke for me!

I met Jack Cannnon at the Second Chance matches in the late 70's. Again, Jack had consumed several beers while I as a good Mormon boy don't drink alcohol and was quite open about his shootings including two involving Mafia folks. Jack was involved with the Glaser Safety Slug. A regular copper jacket filled with bird shot. I had often about the x ray trail in JFk's brain that resembled GSS shot. Jack was more cautious than Charley but had driven from Texas to Michigan with a trailer full of Glaser ammo with a loaded UZI submachine gun on the front seat. Mitch Werbell, who invented the Sionics suppressor told me that Jack Cannon was the only man he was afraid of. I only attended a few NRA Conventions and Carter being sentenced to just a couple of years in prison at 16 is pretty typical in juvenile justice systems. When I was in Detroit Homicide, I had cases where Black juveniles were sentanced to youth correctional facilities for only a couple of years.

My sconces id the rifles in Dealy Plaza as M-16's with 4 power scopes. Two shooters in front and the military backup in the Dal Tex building. We both agree it was a conspiracy AND that both Charley and Jack had fought our WW 2 enemies and I just cannot see them hooking up with former enemies AND one OSS bud who operated in Europe during WW2 told me Skorzany was on a shoot on sight list. So, we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable.

I

7 hours ago, Chuck Schwartz said:

During WW2 , Skorenzy would have been shot on sight.  Afterl WW2, there was Operation Paperclip..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

And moving further on, he was whitewashed by Army CIC and set free. He moved to Paris first, was famously spotted, and then he went to Madrid, where he not only lived in safety he thrived with his connections to Franco, international fascists, and US military. 
Evan - I don’t doubt you are truthful in reporting what you’ve heard from acquaintances, nor do I doubt their truthfulness. But you are only getting that picture, and it’s a small slice of what we now know about Skorzeny and many others. We don’t have to politely disagree. It’s better if we add up what we know and look at the results. Leslie and Hank Albarelli dug deep into all this, and had they known you I’m certain they would have added you to their truth mix. You have the opportunity they didn’t, which is to read the voluminous research on Skorzeny and add it to yours. 

I've read a lot about him and don't find it credible. Rereading Hank's book and don't find it credible either. One can be buried in information and most or all of it is inaccurate.  John Newman's approach is a documented one and AGAIN from personal exposure there are all sorts of genuinely evil folks in the US and several extremely wealthy Americans who benefited from JFK's murder. 

I reached the conclusion that it was a conspiracy by reading the 26 volumes of the Warren Report. It took a while and my grades suffered but it was clear to me that it was a house of cards that collapsed about 45 years ago.

Frankly, I think the ID of the actual shooters is not needed to know the why. Who controlled the autopsy? Who was refused to release the records of the activity of a lone nut? I did a tour in Detroit CSI, 2 separate tours in Detroit Homicide, and 2 tours with the tactical unit and one tour with Detroit SWAT, and I remain unimpressed by 98% of the pro conspiracy books. A very well-connected Green Beret officer who served in Vietnam gave me a one-word answer when I asked him who murdered Kennedy? " Cubans" and then he added anti-Castro Cubans and that they were manipulated by JM Wave. 

• 6 months later...

Southwest Regional Commission of the Border Patrol's parent agency, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, then and now is the most powerful office in the naturalization service outside of Washington. — John M. Crewdson, The New York Times, May 1981.

The following from Crewdson offers additional circumstantial evidence that Harlon B. Carter serves as a through line from the assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas, to the election of Donald Trump — heavily funded by the National Rifle Association — with all of the attendant chaos and attempted coup on Jan 6.  

In his capacity as SW Regional Commissioner in November 1963, Carter was in a position to not only withhold, but to destroy records of deportations. Carter was also a decades long pal of one of the Border Patrol's highest award-winning sharpshooters, Col. Charles Askins who appears in the records of Pierre Lafitte.

Keep in mind that NY AG Letitia James filed suit in August 2020 to dismantle the non-profit NRA and its lobbying arm ILA founded by Harlon B. Carter in the late 1970s. Her lawsuit set in motion plans for NRA to relocate to Texas, specifically the Dallas-Ft. Worth area — the late Harlon Carter's stomping ground. 

A harbinger of what is in play as the 2024 election heats up.

. . . in 1936, Mr. [Harlon B.] Carter joined the Border Patrol and rose quickly through the ranks, becoming its chief in 1950 at the age of 37. In 1961 he was named Southwest Regional Commissioner of the Border Patrol's parent agency, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, then and now the most powerful officer in the naturalization service outside of Washington.

Before joining the rifle association full-time in 1975, he was a senior Federal law enforcement official, and his biography, written in the first person, states that in his career, ''several million illegal aliens and hundreds of thousands of criminals have been arrested by officers under my supervision, among them murderers, robbers, narcotics smugglers, etc.'' 

A member of the rifle association since he was 16, Mr. Carter was elected to the board of directors in 1951. In 1965 he became its president, a largely honorary position, while still a senior official of the immigration service. He retired from the Government in 1970 and in 1975 was named director of the rifle association's lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action. He Won Top Office in 1977

Two years later, he was elevated to the association's top administrative job when, at its convention in Cincinnati, the more conservative of two principal factions, known as the Federation, gained control of the association's leadership.

His re-election was approved Saturday in a unanimous action, despite opposition by the other main internal faction, the Patriots, the more moderate ''old guard.'' In addition, the term of office was extended to five years from one.

Mr. Carter's was the only name placed in nomination by the 2,000 members gathered at the Currigan Convention Center in Denver. In a brief address before the vote, Mr. Carter said the association had never been stronger, and its membership of 1.9 million was now more than double what it was three years ago. He also vowed to never give in to proponents of gun control. ''We'll give them nothing,'' Mr. Carter vowed.

to be continued. . . 

Edited by Leslie Sharp