The Education Forum

Does the name David Murphy at Archives II ring a bell with anyone?

I think I have, and probably many others.  

Well, I found  ( RIF #104-10425-10008 and I'm just stunned.  Look at para 2.  

"Mr. David Murphy, an Agency official under [ redacted ] and he requested that his true affiliation not be revealed at this time. He is still under cover and uncoordinated revelation of his true status could become an embarrassment to the [redacted]"

WOW! 

I hope this isn't old news.  I just discovered this today.  

Joe

Edited by Joseph Backes

42 minutes ago, Joseph Backes said:

I think I have, and probably many others.  

Well, I found this  ( RIF #104-10425-10008 )  and I'm just stunned.  Look at para 2.  

"Mr. David Murphy, an Agency official under [ redacted ] and he requested that his true affiliation not be revealed at this time. He is still under cover and uncoordinated revelation of his true status could become an embarrassment to the [redacted]"

WOW! 

I hope this isn't old news.  I just discovered this today.  

Joe

Here's the actual link Joe... yours just brings you back to this page.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2022/104-10425-10008.pdf

Seems to me Murphy is another CIA agent posing as a State Dept official...   but I am nowhere near as well-versed on that as others here.

the document goes on to request to not reveal the Jan 21 exec session transcript pages 63-73

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1326#relPageId=63 

Murphy was a well-known upper echelon spook who was at the Berlin Operations Base (BOB) for some time IIRC.

He wrote a book with his Soviet counterpart after the cold war, Sergei Kondrachev, called Battle Ground Berlin.

I haven't looked into it but he could very well have been under diplomatic cover posing as a functionary of State which is common, but they don't advertise it. Sort of like Valerie Plame.

Edited by Bob Ness

1 hour ago, Bob Ness said:

Murphy was a well-known upper echelon spook who was at the Berlin Operations Base (BOB) for some time IIRC.

Thanks Bob.  Do you know if he was on McCoy's side or Angleton's re: Nosenko?

3 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

He wrote a book with his Soviet counterpart after the cold war, Sergei Kondrachev, called Battle Ground Berlin.

I haven't looked into it but he could very well have been under diplomatic cover posing as a functionary of State which is common, but they don't advertise it. Sort of like Valerie Plame.

Didn't know he wrote a book. Thanks. Pity it only covers the years 1945 to 1961.

Was David Murphy over Denis Denisylea at the time Denisylea got the Minsk contact report on LHO in Minsk? I think he was which would make Murphy potentially a very interesting character in the JFK case.

Edited by Gerry Down

3 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Thanks Bob.  Do you know if he was on McCoy's side or Angleton's re: Nosenko?

David I'm not sure. I think Helms and Harvey along with Murphy all believed Nosenko was legit.

2 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

Didn't know he wrote a book. Thanks. Pity it only covers the years 1945 to 1961.

Was David Murphy over Denis Denisylea at the time Denisylea got the Minsk contact report on LHO in Minsk? I think he was which would make Murphy potentially a very interesting character in the JFK case.

I think Murphy was under him and Denisylea tasked Murphy with interrogating Nosenko. Won't swear to it - going mostly off memory.

Edited by Bob Ness