The Education Forum

CARL TRETTIN

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

A string of documents suggest he was active in NOLA as early as the spring under several aliases including Teels and Gerald Lapsley, but one particular document places him as being posted in New Orleans in September.

Source? Do you have MFF links or RIFs, etc. for these documents placing Trettin in New Orleans in 1963? I’d really like to read them.

I’m pretty sure Malcolm Blunt has mentioned that Trettin was in New Orleans in ‘63 too. I’ve never seen any documents confirming that, but I admittedly haven’t looked.

I’m curious because when I looked into Blunt’s claim that Bill Kent was in New Orleans in 1963 I found zero evidence that he was actually there at the time other than a couple potential but inconclusive anomalies in his personnel records. Kent was definitely in New Orleans during the Garrison investigation under cover of a non-profit doing God knows what, but I’ve never seen anything placing him there in ‘63. 

Edited by Tom Gram

Trettin worked out of the NOLA DCD office during 1963. Guitart was to act as a cutout to recruit HIS uncle who was visiting in Canada. 

Here's Guitart's file. - https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=236010#relPageId=13

Larry Hancock and I presented on this at Lancer along with Sylvia Odio as a probable cutout in the recruitment of Carlos Lechuga. She was working though Manolo Ray. Ray's Case Officer was Alfonso Rodriguez (Special Affairs Staff/Special Operations.) A-Rod had worked for Harvey as his Special Assistant for Task Force W. AR was also case officer to Rogelio Cisneros. A-Rod was also a key player in the effort to "split the regime."

We also presented on who I believe were Odio's visitors.

Edited by David Boylan

Jonathan,

The short story is that it was Oswald, Carlos Hernandez and Victor "Papucho" Espinosa Hernandez. I had 47 slides attempting to put this together. 🙂

Victor was "Leopoldo." Carlos the "other" guy. Sylvia never knew his name but thought it could be Angel or Angelo, but she admitted she might have got that wrong. The key to me was tying all the New Orleans Cubans to Sylvia and Carlos and Victor.

1 hour ago, David Boylan said:

Jonathan,

The short story is that it was Oswald, Carlos Hernandez and Victor "Papucho" Espinosa Hernandez. I had 47 slides attempting to put this together. 🙂

Victor was "Leopoldo." Carlos the "other" guy. Sylvia never knew his name but thought it could be Angel or Angelo, but she admitted she might have got that wrong. The key to me was tying all the New Orleans Cubans to Sylvia and Carlos and Victor.

Thanks David. Much appreciated. One more follow-up: in your view, how does this jive both timing- and logistics-wise with Oswald's visit to Mexico City?

On 1/8/2024 at 7:15 AM, Tom Gram said:

Source? Do you have MFF links or RIFs, etc. for these documents placing Trettin in New Orleans in 1963? I’d really like to read them.

I’m pretty sure Malcolm Blunt has mentioned that Trettin was in New Orleans in ‘63 too. I’ve never seen any documents confirming that, but I admittedly haven’t looked.

I’m curious because when I looked into Blunt’s claim that Bill Kent was in New Orleans in 1963 I found zero evidence that he was actually there at the time other than a couple potential but inconclusive anomalies in his personnel records. Kent was definitely in New Orleans during the Garrison investigation under cover of a non-profit doing God knows what, but I’ve never seen anything placing him there in ‘63. 

104-10181-10113: MEMORANDUM FOR THE RECORD: POSSIBLE DRE ANIMUS TOWARDS PRESIDENT KENNEDY

04/03/67: Memo for the record from A. E. Dooley: Page 2: ..."5. It is abundantly clear that the DRE had no part in the Kennedy assassination. Oswald was never a member of the DRE, which in fact, rejected him. In developing information regarding CIA's relations with the DRE, I conferred with Howard Brubaker, of the Cuban Operations Group who recently returned from a tour with our Miami Station; Carl Trettin, Deputy Chief of the Counterintelligence Branch of the Cuban Operations Group who knew Bringuier and was stationed in New Orleans at the time of the above incidents [emphasis added]; and Margaret Forsythe also of the Cuban desk who is thoroughly familiar with the DRE operation." - - - Dooley also wrote a memo on November 11, 1964, about taking "Sam Halpern. Carl Trettin, Ray Monahan, and Nestor Sanchez of the Cuban desk (WH/SA) to the Warren Commission. Our mission was to examine some FBI reports, called to our attention by Dr. Goldberg, containing references to persons in Cuba..." https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=6412#relPageId=2

1 hour ago, Leslie Sharp said:

104-10181-10113: MEMORANDUM FOR THE RECORD: POSSIBLE DRE ANIMUS TOWARDS PRESIDENT KENNEDY

04/03/67: Memo for the record from A. E. Dooley: Page 2: ..."5. It is abundantly clear that the DRE had no part in the Kennedy assassination. Oswald was never a member of the DRE, which in fact, rejected him. In developing information regarding CIA's relations with the DRE, I conferred with Howard Brubaker, of the Cuban Operations Group who recently returned from a tour with our Miami Station; Carl Trettin, Deputy Chief of the Counterintelligence Branch of the Cuban Operations Group who knew Bringuier and was stationed in New Orleans at the time of the above incidents [emphasis added]; and Margaret Forsythe also of the Cuban desk who is thoroughly familiar with the DRE operation." - - - Dooley also wrote a memo on November 11, 1964, about taking "Sam Halpern. Carl Trettin, Ray Monahan, and Nestor Sanchez of the Cuban desk (WH/SA) to the Warren Commission. Our mission was to examine some FBI reports, called to our attention by Dr. Goldberg, containing references to persons in Cuba..." https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=6412#relPageId=2

Interesting info.

Do we have a map of the hierarchy of the Cuban Operations Group in 1963? Which i presume is the Cuba Project AKA the SAS. 

• Chief of SAS: Des Fitz
  • Chief of SAS C/I: Harold Swenson, alias Joseph Langosch.
  • Deputy Chief of SAS C/I: ?
  • Unknown Role In SAS C/I: Austin Horn

1 hour ago, Gerry Down said:

Interesting info.

Do we have a map of the hierarchy of the Cuban Operations Group in 1963? Which i presume is the Cuba Project AKA the SAS. 

Chief SAS EOB (External Operations Branch) - Ed Stanulis

Chief SAS  MOB (Miami Operations Branch) - Col Art Maloney

Deputy Chief SAS MOB (Miami Operations Branch) - John Tilton

SAS/SO/AR  - Alfonso Rodriguez

SAS/SO/HH - Henery Hecksher

SAS/SO/SB - Seymour Bolten

SAS/SO/CA - Charles Anderson 

/

16 hours ago, David Boylan said:

Chief SAS EOB (External Operations Branch) - Ed Stanulis

Chief SAS  MOB (Miami Operations Branch) - Col Art Maloney

Deputy Chief SAS MOB (Miami Operations Branch) - John Tilton

SAS/SO/AR  - Alfonso Rodriguez

SAS/SO/HH - Henery Hecksher

SAS/SO/SB - Seymour Bolten

SAS/SO/CA - Charles Anderson 

/

Thanks for this great info.

What does "SO" stand for?

On 1/8/2024 at 9:26 AM, David Boylan said:

Trettin worked out of the NOLA DCD office during 1963. Guitart was to act as a cutout to recruit HIS uncle who was visiting in Canada. 

Here's Guitart's file. - https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=236010#relPageId=13

Larry Hancock and I presented on this at Lancer along with Sylvia Odio as a probable cutout in the recruitment of Carlos Lechuga. She was working though Manolo Ray. Ray's Case Officer was Alfonso Rodriguez (Special Affairs Staff/Special Operations.) A-Rod had worked for Harvey as his Special Assistant for Task Force W. AR was also case officer to Rogelio Cisneros. A-Rod was also a key player in the effort to "split the regime."

We also presented on who I believe were Odio's visitors.

Do you expand on who might have been impersonating Oswald in Mexico City?  Do you elaborate on Oswald's whereabouts pre and post the incident at Odio's condo? Had he relocated to Dallas from New Orleans at that juncture?

On 1/9/2024 at 5:13 PM, Gerry Down said:

Interesting info.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

1 hour ago, Gerry Down said:

Thanks for this great info.

What does "SO" stand for?

Gerry,

Special Operations. 1963, this branch was dealing with Autonomous Operations.

Bruce Cheever was Harvey's and later Fitzgerald's deputy. https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=219634#relPageId=3

Sam Halpern was Exec Officer for SAS. - Halpern discusses Harvey's temper tantrum. https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=162409#relPageId=33

image.png.5f3c99d44a384dedd2fd133a00d19090.png

Edited by David Boylan

27 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Do you expand on who might have been impersonating Oswald in Mexico City?  Do you elaborate on Oswald's whereabouts pre and post the incident at Odio's condo? Had he relocated to Dallas from New Orleans at that juncture?

No to all three. I only had 60 mins to cover 47 slides. I had to delete 10 just to get in under the limit. 🙂 Plus I was going to miss happy hour!