The Education Forum

JFK and the Neocons-- Two New DiEugenio Essays

W. Niederhut

James DiEugenio has published two new essays about JFK's agenda to restore FDR's anti-colonial policies and de-escalate the Cold War.

I was unaware that Churchill and the British Ambassador to the U.S. were involved in the push to replace Henry Wallace on FDR's 1944 Presidential ticket.

It looks like these two essays are the first in a history series about the rise of the Neocons.

Definitely worth reading.

JFK and the Rise of the Neocons, Pt. 1 (substack.com)

JFK and the Neocons Pt. 2 - by James Anthony DiEugenio (substack.com)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks William, I was going to wait to post them.

It will eventually be four parts.

The underlying theme is dual. 

its about why JFK was murdered, and how his political legacy was then buried and the opposition resurfaced with the neocons.

Unlike a lot of substack writers, who shall remain nameless, this work requires research and footnotes.

3 hours ago, Matt Cloud said:

Wake me when we get to the definition of neo-con.

Matt,

After the 5-4 Bush v. Gore ruling in December of 2000, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld started to assemble George W. Bush's Cabinet.

According to Bob Woodward, (in Plan of Attack) Dubya called up his father, at the time, and asked, "Dad, who are the Neocons?"

Poppy replied, "In a word, son, 'Israel.'"

Most of the Bush/Cheney Neocons-- Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, Richard Perle, Dov Zakheim, Michael Chertoff, Buzz Krongard, et.al.-- were joint Israeli-American citizens.  Many had been involved, with Cheney and Rumsfeld, in William Kristol's 1990s Project for a New American Century.     

Edited by W. Niederhut

9 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Matt,

After the 5-4 Bush v. Gore ruling in December of 2000, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld started to assemble George W. Bush's Cabinet.

According to Bob Woodward, (in Plan of Attack) Dubya called up his father, at the time, and asked, "Dad, who are the Neocons?"

Poppy replied, "In a word, son, 'Israel.'"

Most of the Bush/Cheney Neocons-- Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, Richard Perle, Dov Zakheim, Michael Chertoff, Buzz Krongard, et.al.-- were joint Israeli-American citizens.  Many had been involved, with Cheney and Rumsfeld, in William Kristol's 1990s Project for a New American Century.

PNAC wanted the U.S. military to depose Saddam Hussein and establish U.S. military control of the Middle East and Central Asia.

Wolfowitz's intellectual mentor was the Machiavellian philosopher, Leo Strauss, who believed that the ignorant masses generally needed to be manipulated to accomplish political and military ends.   Herman Goering, Hitler, and Stalin shared that Machiavellian view of we the "sheeple."

My hunch is that DiEugenio's history essays will focus on Scoop Jackson and the origins of the Neocon movement long before PNAC, Wolfowitz, and the 1990s.  (But they were involved in Team B fear-mongering about Soviet military capabilities during the Reagan administration.)

Herman-Goering-quote.png

Ahem.  Thanks for the lecture.  I'm waiting on Dieugenio, who has come to this on account of my having introduced the topic, at which point he claimed Moynihan -- for whom I served as aide-de-camp (his last) -- was not a neo-con.  We could debate that, but therein lies the point.  If he, you, or anyone, won't get into Hegel and the philosophy -- or is it an anti-philosophy? -- no one will get even near to understanding the subject.  Again -- thanks for the wikipedia view.

Everyone I don't like is a Neo Con, lols meanwhile in reality Neo Con is just Chompsky Jargon for Zionist that's why Jim's Anti Semite buddies Ryan Dawson and Aaron Good like to still use the dated term "Neo Con" who do "Neo Liberal" actions talk about Cliches 

I find Jim and Oliver's Wallace theory really hilarious, because as a Buffalo Bills fan... Just like Henry Wallace, 5 more feet and history would have been different. Had Wallace gotten to that microphone to keep his VP spot all the bad things in the world wouldn't have happened. Like wise had Ken Norwood kicked that football just 5 ft to the left and the Buffalo Bills would go on to win all 4 superbowls (probably more) and would currently be know as America's team instead of Dallas. 

Now 65 yrs later the Democrats are trying to change the ticket before the electiontion, in 20yrs Democrats will be saying that had the DNC not changed the Biden/Harris Ticket we wouldn't have had another Trump Presidency and Destiny Wouldn't have Been Betrayed.. again. 

21 minutes ago, Matt Cloud said:

Ahem.  Thanks for the lecture.  I'm waiting on Dieugenio, who has come to this on account of my having introduced the topic, at which point he claimed Moynihan -- for whom I served as aide-de-camp (his last) -- was not a neo-con.  We could debate that, but therein lies the point.  If he, you, or anyone, won't get into Hegel and the philosophy -- or is it an anti-philosophy? -- no one will get even near to understanding the subject.  Again -- thanks for the wikipedia view.

It's not the "Wikipedia view," Matt.  

It's GHWB's 2000 definition of "Neocon," according to Bob Woodward.

6 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

It's not the "Wikipedia view," Matt.  

It's GHWB's 2000 definition of "Neocon," according to Bob Woodward.

Wait -- I thought you were the one telling me that Woodward was a coverup artist as regards ATPM?  "Read Silent Coup! Or Silent Agenda!  Have you read it.  You obvously haven't," you screamed.  At me.

Why don't you stick with the conversation and actually help develop it, Moderator?  I know all about everything you think you know.  Do you understand?  I'm interested in Dieugenio and his neo-con thesis and his development of that.  That's the hard, intellectual part.  Spouting off about war-mongering neocons and the Iraq invasion is not.  And by the way, I heard the exact same things as we stormed the steps of the Capitol on Jan 6.  Save it.

1 hour ago, Matt Cloud said:

Wait -- I thought you were the one telling me that Woodward was a coverup artist as regards ATPM?  "Read Silent Coup! Or Silent Agenda!  Have you read it.  You obvously haven't," you screamed.  At me.

Why don't you stick with the conversation and actually help develop it, Moderator?  I know all about everything you think you know.  Do you understand?  I'm interested in Dieugenio and his neo-con thesis and his development of that.  That's the hard, intellectual part.  Spouting off about war-mongering neocons and the Iraq invasion is not.  And by the way, I heard the exact same things as we stormed the steps of the Capitol on Jan 6.  Save it.

I "screamed at you?"  Do tell.

I mentioned, Secret Agenda, in the context of our discussions about Watergate, and your claim that Moynihan was "Deep Throat."  

As for this thread, you asked (above) for a definition of "Neocon," correct?

I responded by posting GHWB's definition of Neocon, as described in Woodward's book, Plan of Attack.

Then you mistakenly attributed my reference to Wikipedia.

Edited by W. Niederhut

5 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

I "screamed at you?"  Do tell.

I mentioned, Secret Agenda, in the context of our discussions about Watergate, and your claim that Moynihan was "Deep Throat."  

As for this thread, you asked (above) for a definition of "Neocon," correct?

I responded by posting GHWB's definition of Neocon, as described in Woodward's book, Plan of Attack.

Then you mistakenly attributed my reference to Wikipedia.

Work on your reading comprehension skills.

I'm not interested in your recitation of what you think a neo-con is.  Not one bit.  I could not care less.  It seems indeed you have the reading comprehension problem.  I did not ask you or anyone to provide that.  I said "wake me," when (if) Dieugenio gets to the definition, in his little expose.  I know all about the neo-cons.  If you want to start a topic on the war crimes of Condi Rice, Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld go right ahead.  You might even have grounds, though I can't help but wonder whether if George W. Bush were eligible to run a third term and he could somehow sour the election against Trump, you wouldn't be in full favor of that.  But that's neither here nor there, on this thread, just as as everything you have to this point contributed, in your little pick-a-fight screed.

1 hour ago, Matt Cloud said:

Why don't you stick with the conversation and actually help develop it, Moderator?  I know all about everything you think you know.  Do you understand?

I think that qualifies as "Treating Admin. Disrespectfully" on our list of Reasons for Warnings. 

23 minutes ago, Matt Cloud said:

I'm not interested in your recitation of what you think a neo-con is.  Not one bit.  I could not care less.  It seems indeed you have the reading comprehension problem.  I did not ask you or anyone to provide that.  I said "wake me," when (if) Dieugenio gets to the definition, in his little expose.  I know all about the neo-cons.  If you want to start a topic on the war crimes of Condi Rice, Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld go right ahead.  You might even have grounds, though I can't help but wonder whether if George W. Bush were eligible to run a third term and he could somehow sour the election against Trump, you wouldn't be in full favor of that.  But that's neither here nor there, on this thread, just as as everything you have to this point contributed, in your little pick-a-fight screed.

Matt,

Let's cool it with the inaccurate ad hominem attacks and focus on the historical topic under discussion.

You asked for a definition of Neocon, and I posted GHWB's 2000 definition, along with some comments about the most famous Neocons in history-- the numerous PNAC Neocons in George W. Bush's administration.

From DiEugenio's earlier essays, my hunch is that he will focus on the historical origins of the Neocon movement in the Scoop Jackson era, rather than the late 1990s movement led by William Kristol.

Edited by W. Niederhut

I am going to get to what a neocon is in this essay.

It will be complete and accurate.

And I will show how they disavowed and buried Kennedy's foreign policy until today it might as well be in a museum.

Edited by James DiEugenio

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Matt,

Let's cool it with the inaccurate ad hominem attacks and focus on the historical topic under discussion.

You asked for a definition of Neocon, and I posted GHWB's 2000 definition, along with some comments about the most famous Neocons in history-- the numerous PNAC Neocons in George W. Bush's administration.

From DiEugenio's earlier essays, my hunch is that he will focus on the historical origins of the Neocon movement in the Scoop Jackson era, rather than the late 1990s movement led by William Kristol.

Let's cool it with the Reddit MOD deletions 

Why are you deleting comments about your Israel l behavior? 

BTW, how many people knew about JFK and his policy in Iran?

Larry Hancock first tipped me off to that.

Just remember, as Kai Bird pointed out, it was John McCloy who successfully lobbied the Carter administration to let the Shah into the USA.

That brought us Ronald Reagan.

Can you imagine one guy covering up the JFK case and doing that also?  And recall, it was CBS who let him consult on their 1967 cover up special.