The Education Forum

Give Peace A Chance

Ron Bulman

Sean,

I must confess that, unlike John Lennon, I have a vastly higher opinion of JFK than of Yoko Ono.

Lennon was an outstanding tenor vocalist, song writer, and rhythm guitarist, but hardly a sage-- and I say that as an amateur Beatle-ologist.

As for our abysmal failure to give peace a chance, notice the nodal points on our historic U.S. military spending graph (above.)

Three major turning points were 11/22/63, 1980, and 9/11/01.

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

military_spending_since_1940_fy_2024_lar

You also have to include spending on Veterans (past wars), Atomic Energy Commission/Department of Energy (nuclear weapons), intelligence agencies and their pro-rated share of the debt.

Though if JFK was killed because he was trying to stop the nuclear arms race, why did US nuclear arms decline after his assassination while the number of Soviet arms continued to increase?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_nuclear_weapons_stockpiles_and_nuclear_tests_by_country#/media/File:US_and_USSR_nuclear_stockpiles.svg

Since I started a Lennon thread, I guess I should post this.  I bought the album when it came out, still have it.  I disagree with one point, there is an afterlife.  But I've always found it peaceful, uplifting.

8 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I must confess that, unlike John Lennon, I have a vastly higher opinion of JFK than of Yoko Ono.

Lennon was an outstanding tenor vocalist, song writer, and rhythm guitarist, but hardly a sage-- and I say that as an amateur Beatle-ologist.

Agreed - and when it came time to march in the demonstrations in London against the war in Vietnam in 1968, where was he?

This guy was there.  Because you know, what can a poor boy do?

29214169_2038815606132690_80380455795252

Yeah Bill

"But in sleepy London town there's no place!"

The U.S. and France went crazy but the Brits pretty much sat that one out.

I love John, and actually I thought with Sean's post , John had matured a lot by 1980, and I agreed generally with what he said. 

The "God" was back in his "primal scream" days, 70-71,  and so was him and Yoko's "Bed in for Peace". He was sort of the artiste basket case during the 70's, that you'd always kind of humorously check in to see what kind of thing he was going through!

Ron---I disagree with one point, there is an afterlife.  But I've always found it peaceful, uplifting.

I hear you Ron, but I think the message is that his "Imagine" vision should be done with no expectation of reward.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway