The Education Forum

Papers of Herbert Philbrick

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/mss/eadxmlms...03/ms003015.pdf

Box 223 and 224 contain research notes and drafts of a manuscript with Earl Lively entitled "The Strange Death of President Kennedy."

I think I know what this is about. As Robert Oswald has discussed, LHO's favorite TV show was "I Led Three Lives," based on Philbrick's real-life exploits of infiltrating various communist circles. This is intriguing to say the least. Anyhow, this led me to track down a copy of the book about a year ago and see if there were any parallels between Philbrick's undercover work for the FBI and Oswald's mysterious activities. And what I found blew my mind, for about a day. For one of the circles Philbrick infiltrated included Michael Paine's father. This led me to suspect that Oswald, in his emulation of Philbrick, maneuvered himself into close association with the Paines, in hopes of uncovering a spy ring. Like I said, this lasted about a day. I then realized that the book I was reading had been updated after the assassination to include the material on the Paines, and that Philbrick was deliberately implying through Michael Paine's association with Oswald that Communist forces were somehow behind the assassination. Where I went looking for clues I found only half-truths with a clear agenda. Philbrick was a propagandist.

In his book Harvey and Lee, John Armstrong quotes Robert Oswald as saying, "One of (Lee's) favorite programs was I Led Three Lives . . . In the early 1950's, Lee watched that show every week without fail. When I left home to join the Marines, he was still watching the reruns."

Armstrong points out that Robert left home to join the Marines on July 15, 1952, a year and two months before I Led Three Lives was first released (September 1953). Therefore Lee could not possibly have watched the program before Robert left.

As Armstrong asks, "why would Robert knowingly make false statements about his dead 'brother,' and for what purpose?" (p. 42).

Ron

As Armstrong asks, "why would Robert knowingly make false statements about his dead 'brother,' and for what purpose?" (p. 42).

Ron

This is the kind of thing that gets us into trouble. Armstrongs says "knowingly," as if he has any way of knowing Robert's thoughts. The more likely situation is that Robert remembered that Oswald watched the show, and incorrectly remembered him watching it during a certain time period. The "re-runs" he remembers Lee watching were probably the first runs. Sometimes we forget that most people don't use fact-checkers when they write their memoirs, or when being interviewed on their own life. It is the arrogance of the human species that we prefer to believe our memories are solid, when they are really more like putty.

Ron:""In his book Harvey and Lee, John Armstrong quotes Robert Oswald as saying, "One of (Lee's) favorite programs was I Led Three Lives . . . In the early 1950's, Lee watched that show every week without fail. When I left home to join the Marines, he was still watching the reruns."

Armstrong points out that Robert left home to join the Marines on July 15, 1952, a year and two months before I Led Three Lives was first released (September 1953). Therefore Lee could not possibly have watched the program before Robert left.""

Ron Ecker

This is the kind of thing that gets us into trouble. Armstrongs says "knowingly," as if he has any way of knowing Robert's thoughts. The more likely situation is that Robert remembered that Oswald watched the show, and incorrectly remembered him watching it during a certain time period. The "re-runs" he remembers Lee watching were probably the first runs. Sometimes we forget that most people don't use fact-checkers when they write their memoirs, or when being interviewed on their own life. It is the arrogance of the human species that we prefer to believe our memories are solid, when they are really more like putty.

Pat Speer

&&&&&&&&&&&

Hi :

John Armstrong ...

"Armstrong points out that Robert left home to join the Marines on July 15, 1952, a year and two months before I Led Three Lives was first released (September 1953). Therefore Lee could not possibly have watched the program before Robert left.""

Once Robert left home, in July 1952, he never lived nor visited home again, so he could not have seen LHO watching any reruns...Nor the program before as it had not made its premier on the telly as yet...

This is a Robert Oswald quote, from "Lee" 1967 "One of (Lee's) favorite programs was I Led Three Lives . . . In the early 1950's, Lee watched that show every week without fail. When I left home to join the Marines, he was still watching the reruns."

what reruns???

""When he left home to join the Marines.""....so this was not a case of later, after he was out of the Marines, and married, he clearly states before....he left home..July 52, a year and two months before the program

was first released in Sept. 53.., these were not reruns, couldn't possibley have been.... so it could not have been him incorrectly remembering during any other certain time period...

There are many statements that Robert made in his WC testimony about where they lived ,where they visited ,what schools they attended and on, and on....and when comparing his memories to John Pic's, the other brother, in the WC....there are so many differences it is attrocious....and I am not speaking of perhaps their testimony being changed or some deleted,I am speaking of, not the same, addresses they moved to or lived at, or when, not the same schools being named, that they attended etc... if you have never read nor compared, Roberts and John's WC testimonies, sometimes try to find a little time...you will find that these two brothers supposedly raised side by side, in all matters, do not have the same memories.....there is something very wrong with the scenario, of Robert Oswald and John Pic...

Also his book Lee was written in 1967....15 years after he left for the Marines, 4 years after the death of Lee, I don't know about you, but why would Robert even mention the TV series ?? Why would it stick in his mind, when it couldn't have happened..?.and he says it did,..... then was he making up stories, to perhaps make his book somewhat more colourful ?? because the TV program was not even on TV when he left..as he was so specific about it being "I Led Three Lives" or perhaps trying to associate Lee with the spy scenario, young nut, influenced by TV programs, got it into his head to be a spy, and of course he was nothing of the kind, just a mixed up kid, who shot a President all by himeslf, .......sure he did.. :ph34r: .as we know Robert also agrees and says his brother Lee, did kill the President ..?

"Over the years ,Robert Oswald would continue to provide damaging and misleading statements against Lee Oswald for public consumption. These stories are often taken at face value , based upon the supposed credibility of Robert Oswald..."" from "The Assassinations"

Thanks

B.. B)

Edited by Bernice Moore

Pat,

is anyone who suggests Communist involvement in the assassination a "propogandist"? What do you mean by a "propogandist"? If someone uses facts to advance a position he or she honestly believes to be true is he or she a "propogandist"? In that sense, are we all not "propagandists" for our own point-of-view. But you seem to be using the term in a perjorative sense.

I had heard or read that the Paines had Communist connections, and you state that Philbrick's book confirms that. Is that not a very significant datum since, if there was a conspiracy, the Paines presumably had to be involved in it.

You indicated the information on the Paines was added in an edition of Philbrick's book published after the assassination. But you are not implying that the information was fabricated, are you? His work with Paine's father simply gained more significance after the assassination.

Was not Mrs. Paine important in linking Oswald to the assassination after the fact? Is it possible Oswald was a patsy, and Mrs. Paine was important in setting him up, including getting him a job at the TSBD?

Edited by Tim Gratz

I opened up the link Gary posted.

Box 158 contains a whole set of information re George L. Paine.

Pat, if you have read the book, is it in fact clear that Michael Paine's father was a Communist?  Do you accord any significance to this?

You're right in that I can not presume to understand Philbrick's true intentions. My memory is that he didn't really accuse the Paines of involvement in the assassination, but was just using Michael's family to paint Oswald as communist-influenced, when neither Michael nor Ruth had any communist ties whatsoever. It struck me as disingenuous, but you're correct that I can not know his heart.

Michael's father was a militant Trotskyite, so he wouldn't have been playing footsie with Khruschev or Castro.

On page 54 Philbrick states "The Communist use of the Paine family is a tragic reminder that the seeds of Marxism bear evil fruit." He then recounts how George Paine and his son George Jr. sponsored many communist-front activities. He mentions the naivete of Michael and Ruth, and says "although the record of communism throughout the world shows a continuing pattern of murder, assassination and violence, Mrs. Paine told the FBI that she did not think Lee Harvey Oswald, a communist "would do a violent thing such as killing an individual." Philbrick makes it clear in his comments that in his opinion all Marxists are communists, and all communists are in favor of violent political action. He doesn't seem to have processed that most of the assassinations between WWI and 1973 were sponsored by capitalists. The man is simply obsessed with his "better dead than red" mentality.

On page 250, Philbrick mentions a communist attempt to infiltrate the ACLU...interesting in that Michael Paine took Oswald to his first ACLU meeting.

On page 261, Philbrick mentions George L. Paine as a sponsor for the (anti-Marshall Plan) World Peace Conference.

Are you familiar with the call that was apparently FBI taped between Michael Paine and his wife to the effect "We all know who is behind this"? Those words cdertainly suggest a conspiracy. It is possible the Paines were following instructions in placing Oswald in the TSBD but did not understand the significance of that act until the assassination. In other words, they may have furthered the plot without understanding the plot until the deed was done.

Does anyone recall wherther the Paines were questioned about this call?

I read an article on the Internet that said Mrs. Paine exhibited guilt over "an evil act in which she participated". If indeed she had no foreknowledge of the assassination, perhaps she would be willing to open up if for no other reason than to absolve her conscience.

Are you familiar with the call that was apparently FBI taped between Michael Paine and his wife to the effect "We all know who is behind this"?  Those words cdertainly suggest a conspiracy. It is possible the Paines were following instructions in placing Oswald in the TSBD but did not understand the significance of that act until the assassination. In other words, they may have furthered the plot without understanding the plot until the deed was done.

Does anyone recall wherther the Paines were questioned about this call?

I read an article on the Internet that said Mrs. Paine exhibited guilt over "an evil act in which she participated".  If indeed she had no foreknowledge of the assassination, perhaps she would be willing to open up if for no other reason than to absolve her conscience.

I've read Mrs. Paine's Garage, and I'm pretty sure that's where I read a response by Ruth to the "we all know" statement. And the statement refers to Marina. Evidently, it was Michael Paine's opinion, (as well as the de Mohrenschildts), that Marina was an impossible bitch, who quite possibly had driven poor Lee to distraction.

And do we really believe that Oswald killed Kennedy because Marina refused him marital relations on Thursday night?

If that was indeed Ruth's explanation, it strikes me as a lie. Marina was her friend. Besides, who would believe anyone but a "lone nut" would kill a president because his wife was a bitch? If we accept that explanation we might as well fold our tent and accept the Warren Commission Report!

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/mss/eadxmlms...03/ms003015.pdf

Box 223 and 224 contain research notes and drafts of a manuscript with Earl Lively entitled "The Strange Death of President Kennedy."

Gary,

Earl Lively...very interesting guy. He and Lt. George Butler (the guy that let Ruby into the garage) were going to write a book on Oswald. He was also a colonel in the Texas Air National Guard. I'd recommend doing a Google search on him and to see what he has been up to in the last few years. Doesn't seem to like John Kerry much.

Dave

• 3 years later...

What Is Communism - with Herbert Philbrick - 1 of 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wccIqjrGGMk

2 of 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg6yXwoEduM...feature=related

YouTube - ratstick1's Channel

Herbert A. Philbrick hosts this amazing anti-Commie propaganda film from the ... late '40s so he could testify in a Smith Act trial (the verdicts of many of ...

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mss/eadmss.ms003015

Herbert A. Philbrick A Register of His Papers in the Library of Congress Prepared by Laura J. Kells with the assistance of Paul Colton, Valerie Frey, Alys Glaze, David Lake, Sherralyn McCoy, Brian McGuire, and Margaret Smith Manuscript Division, Library of Congress

Washington, D.C. 2001 Contact information: http://lcweb.loc.gov/rr/mss/address.html

Finding aid encoded by Library of Congress Manuscript Division, 2003 Finding aid written in English. 2004-08-12 converted from EAD 1.0 to EAD 2002 Collection Summary Papers of Herbert A. Philbrick 1849-1997 (bulk 1940-1993) MSS84356 Philbrick, Herbert A. (Herbert Arthur), 1915-1993 126,000 items 290 containers plus 1 oversize plus 1 top secret 116 linear feet Collection material in English Manuscript Division Library of Congress Washington, D.C.

Anticommunist activist and counterspy. Correspondence, writings, speeches, television scripts, subject files, and other papers relating primarily to Philbrick's role as a leading anticommunist spokesman, his activities as an informant for the Federal Bureau of Investigation while he was a member of the Communist Party of the United States of America (CPUSA), and the television program based on his autobiography, . Selected Search Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Library's online catalog. They are grouped by name of person or organization, by subject or location, and by occupation and listed alphabetically therein.

Names: Philbrick, Herbert A. (Herbert Arthur), 1915-1993 Bales, James D., 1915- --Correspondence Foster, William Z., 1881-1961--Trials, litigation, etc. Hoover, J. Edgar (John Edgar), 1895-1972 --Correspondence Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963--Assassination Loeb, William, 1905- --Correspondence McDowell, Arthur G.--Correspondence Niebuhr, Reinhold, 1892-1971--Correspondence Philbrick, Herbert A. (Herbert Arthur), 1915-1993. I led 3 lives: citizen, "Communist," counterspy (1952) Reid, Ogden R. (Ogden Rogers), 1925- --Correspondence Roche, Anthony M. Wallace, Henry Agard, 1888-1965--Correspondence Welch, Robert Henry Winborne, 1899- --Correspondence American Youth for Democracy America's Future (Organization) Cambridge Youth Council (Cambridge, Mass.) Christian Anti-Communism Crusade Communist Party of the United States of America Communist Party of the United States of America (Mass.) Constructive Action, Inc. Council Against Communist Aggression (U.S.) Massachusetts Political Action Committee Massachusetts. Special Commission to Study and Investigate Communism and Subversive Activities and Related Matters in the Commonwealth Progressive Citizens of America United States Anti-Communist Congress United States. Congress. House--Elections--1948 United States. Congress. House. Committee on Un-American Activities United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Subcommittee to Investigate the Administration of the Internal Security Act and Other Internal Security Laws United States. Federal Bureau of Investigation U.S. Press Association Young Americans for Freedom Young Communist League of the U.S. Subjects: Anti-communist movements--United States--History Presidents--United States--Election--1948 Subversive activities--United States Undercover operations--United States Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975 Massachusetts--Politics and government--1865-1950 New England--Politics and government Occupation: Political activists Administrative Information Provenance:

The papers of Herbert Arthur Philbrick, anticommunist activist and counterspy, were given to the Library of Congress by his daughter, Dawn Philbrick Lambert, in 1998. A small addition was given by her in 2000.

Processing History: The papers of Herbert A. Philbrick were arranged and described in 2000. Additional material received in 2000 was incorporated into the collection in 2001.

Transfers: Items have been transferred from the Manuscript Division to other custodial divisions of the Library. Sound and video recordings have been transferred to the Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division. Some photographs and posters have been transferred to the Prints and Photographs Division. All transfers are identified in these divisions as part of the Herbert A. Philbrick Papers.

Copyright Status: Copyright in the unpublished writings of Herbert A. Philbrick in these papers and in other collections in the custody of the Library of Congress is reserved. Consult a reference librarian in the Manuscript Division for further information.

Security Classified Documents: Government regulations control the use of security classified material in this collection. Manuscript Division staff can furnish information concerning access to and use of classified items.

Preferred Citation: Researchers wishing to cite this collection are asked to include the following information: Container number, Herbert A. Philbrick Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.

Biographical Note Date Event 1915, May 11 Born, Boston, Mass. 1938 Graduated, Lincoln Technical Institute of Northeastern University, Boston, Mass. 1939 Married Eva Gertrude Luscombe (divorced 1967) Sales representative, Holmes Direct Mail Service, Cambridge, Mass. 1940 Organizer and chairman, Cambridge Youth Council, Cambridge, Mass. Reported suspicions of communist control of Cambridge Youth Council to Boston, Mass., office, Federal Bureau of Investigation 1941 Began reporting to Federal Bureau of Investigation on actions of Communist party 1942 Joined Young Communist League 1942-1949 Assistant advertising director, Paramount Theaters Division of New England, M & P Theatres Co., Boston, Mass. 1944 Joined Communist party 1949 Testified in federal court as surprise witness against eleven Communist party leaders indicted for violation of the Smith Act 1951 Testified before hearings of the House Committee on Un-American Activities regarding Communist party activities in the Boston, Mass., area "I Led 3 Lives" serialized in the 1951-1957 Lectured on anticommunist topics 1952 Published (New York: McGraw-Hill. 323 pp.) 1952-1958 Wrote syndicated column "Red Underground " for the 1953-1956 Technical advisor for television program "I Led 3 Lives" 1961-1962 Prepared series of five-minute television programs, "The Red Report" 1963-1969 Wrote newsletters, and 1964 Candidate for delegate-at-large from New Hampshire to the Republican national convention for presidential candidate Barry M. Goldwater 1967-1969 National Director, United States Anti-Communist Congress 1968 Married Shirley J. Brown 1969-1977 Editor and publisher, , U.S. Press Association 1972 Published revised edition, (Washington, D.C.: Capitol Hill Press. 306 pp.) 1976-1977 Writer-editor, Division of Organization and Personnel, United States Nuclear Regulatory Agency, Washington, D. C. 1977-1979 Store manager, Fletcher's Paint Works, Hampton, N. H. 1982-ca. 1989 Court reporter and free-lance writer for Rockingham County, N. H., newspapers 1990-1993 President, Constructive Action 1993, Aug. 16 Died, North Hampton, N. H. Scope and Content Note

The papers of Herbert Arthur Philbrick (1915-1993) span the years 1849-1997, with the bulk of the material dating from 1940 to 1993. They relate primarily to Philbrick's interests and activities as a leading anticommunist spokesman from the 1950s through the early 1970s whose concern with the threat of communism continued until his death. Philbrick became a public figure in 1949 when he was a government witness in the trial of eleven leaders of the Communist Party of the United States of America (CPUSA) indicted for violation of the Smith Act. During his testimony, Philbrick revealed that for the previous nine years he had functioned as an undercover agent, serving as an informant for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) while an active member of the CPUSA. He subsequently wrote an autobiography entitled , which became the basis of a television series in the 1950s. In addition to documenting Philbrick's life and activities, his papers are a source of information on the anticommunist movement in general featuring prominent individuals and organizations and containing correspondence, newsletters, and press clippings from throughout the country. The collection is organized in the following series: General Correspondence, Communist Party of the United States of America (CPUSA), , Subject File, Speeches and Writings, Miscellany, Addition, Oversize, and Top Secret.

The General Correspondence series consists primarily of letters received by Philbrick, with copies of some of his outgoing correspondence. Although correspondence relating to specific activities or individuals is filed by topic in other series, this series contains correspondence from friends, colleagues, and the general public filed by date. Frequent topics include communism, religion, reactions to Philbrick's lectures and writings, and comments on specific events and individuals.

The Communist Party of the United States of America (CPUSA) series focuses on Philbrick's activities in the party, particularly in the New England area. A section on the Federal Bureau of Investigation contains reports to the agency in which Philbrick, often using the pseudonym "George Lockwood," described activities of organizations in Massachusetts which were controlled by communists and provided accounts of the events, meetings, and individuals he dealt with when he joined the Young Communist League, the Communist party, and the Education Commission of the Massachusetts Communist Party. Organizations mentioned include the Cambridge Youth Council, American Youth for Democracy, the Massachusetts Political Action Committee, and the Progressive Citizens of America. Events described include the congressional campaign of Anthony M. Roche and the presidential campaign of Henry Agard Wallace.

A party activities section in the series contains correspondence, pamphlets, fliers, and other material collected or created by Philbrick. His assignments often involved using his advertising experience and printing skills in his work for the party, and he would collect and send the FBI copies of the materials he created and printed. A testimony section relates to remarks Philbrick made to a number of investigating bodies from 1949 to 1967 regarding communists and their activities in the United States, including testimony in United States District Court in the trial of United States v. William Z. Foster and at hearings of the House Committee on Un-American Activities, the Senate Committee on the Judiciary Subcommittee to Investigate the Administration of the Internal Security Act and Other Security Laws, and the Massachusetts Special Commission to Study and Investigate Communism and Subversive Activities and Related Matters in the Commonwealth.

The series related to features Philbrick's autobiography and the various formats in which it appeared, including a book, newspaper serialization, and a television series. The largest sections relate to the book and the television series. The book section includes outlines, summaries, and sets of drafts. Documents indicate that Philbrick worked closely with Fendall Yerxa in the preparation of his autobiography. A serialized version of the book appeared first in the . The television section contains material relating to the syndicated television series produced from 1953 to 1956 by Ziv Television Programs, Inc. in which Richard Carlson starred as Philbrick. Philbrick served as a technical consultant to the project, and the files contain plot outlines and comments he prepared as well as scripts sent to him for approval. Other material includes correspondence relating to personal appearances Philbrick made in support of the program.

The Subject File is the largest series in the collection and contains information on people, groups, and issues of interest to Philbrick, especially communism and the Cold War. Many of the most extensive files relate to his involvement with anticommunist, conservative, and religious organizations, such as America's Future, Constructive Action, the Council Against Communist Aggression, United States Anti-Communist Congress, U.S. Press Association, and Young Americans for Freedom. A major aspect of Philbrick's work with another such group, the Christian Anti-Communism Crusade and its leader, Frederick C. Schwarz, was his participation in their anticommunism schools. Additional material related to Philbrick's work with the schools is filed in a speaking engagements section of the Speeches and Writings series. A Federal Bureau of Investigation file contains correspondence and memoranda that Philbrick continued to send to the FBI in the years following his undercover work with the CPUSA. Related to this file are the folders on "Yankee," a woman from Massachusetts who from 1952 to 1972 sent Philbrick information and documents relating to organizations spanning the political spectrum, much of which he sent on to the FBI. Significant correspondents in the Subject File include James D. Bales, J. Edgar Hoover, William Loeb, Arthur G. McDowell, Reinhold Niebuhr, Ogden R. Reid, Henry Agard Wallace, and Robert Henry Winborne Welch.

The Speeches and Writings series features Philbrick's writing projects and lectures. The largest sections relate to his newspaper columns and speeches. Philbrick wrote a newspaper column entitled "Red Underground" for the from 1952 to 1958. A list of topics serves as an index to the columns. The files include responses from readers, attorneys, and individuals and organizations mentioned in the columns. The speeches section documents Philbrick's activities as a lecturer for over thirty years. Contracts, itineraries, and lecture requests indicate the types of groups that invited him to speak. The speaking engagements section contains correspondence, programs, and press coverage of his appearances. Titles of Philbrick's lectures include "Communism and Youth," "The Christian Answer," "Cybernetic Warfare," "Red, White, and Pink," and "Zero Hour for America."

Another of Philbrick's writing projects was a series of newsletters sponsored by such organizations as Dollar Federal Savings and Loan of Columbus, Ohio, and the Schick Razor Company. Topics include Philbrick's concerns about the international communist conspiracy, the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and the Vietnam War. Articles by Philbrick were often reprinted in the various newsletters. Drafts and background material for the newsletters are filed under Also in the Speeches and Writings series are articles, book reviews, letters to editors, childhood diaries, and unpublished and incomplete book projects on communism and religion and the assassination of President Kennedy.

The Miscellany series contains personal and family material as well as files relating to appearances by Philbrick on film, television, and radio. Press clippings in the biographical material section describe activities and events in Philbrick's life and provide clues as to which files throughout the collection have a direct connection to Philbrick. Included among the film, television, and radio material are files on Philbrick's own television projects, "Red Report" and "World War III." Office files contain memoranda and draft correspondence that he prepared for staff while he was away on lecture tours. Card files include information on various people, many of whom Philbrick suspected of having communist connections. Legal files contain material related to a lawsuit between Philbrick and his attorney, Moses Frankel, who had worked as his agent in the 1950s and who negotiated his book and television deals. Family material includes items relating to his father, Guy Philbrick, a railroad trainman, and to Herbert Philbrick's second wife, Shirley.

The Addition consists of material received after the processing of the main portion of the Philbrick Papers was completed. It supplements each of the series and its arrangement reflects the organization of those series: general correspondence, Communist Party of the United States of America (CPUSA), , subject file, speeches and writings, and miscellany. Items which complement the existing material include a scrapbook of press clippings relating to Philbrick's 1949 testimony in the Smith Act trials of communist leaders and files relating to his revised edition of .

Organization of the Papers The collection is arranged in nine series:

youtube.com/user/ratstick1 - 66k

complete idiots guide to fbi

http://books.google.com/books?id=wjRBwEG-z...sigbQ#PPA106,M1