The Education Forum

Harry Dean: Memoirs

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A interesting account on General Walker can be found on the Mary Ferrel Foundation.

TRANSLATION OF THE BOOK "A CONSPIRACAO" (THE CONSPIRACY) BY NEWTON CAR

Page 33

The Walker Case.File can be found here.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=96226&relPageId=33

Many thanks for this historic citation, Malcom.

The CIA 201 File on Lee Harvey Oswald -- partially recovered by the Mary Ferrell Foundation, and generously made available to the reading public free of charge -- contains a five-page narrative about Ex-General Edwin Walker.

However, we have seen this before.

Those who have read Edwin Walker's testimony given in March 1962 before the Senate Subcommitee on Military Preparedness, and are aware that Walker was allowed to read multiple documents into the record, will recognize this document in those Senate records.

Ex-General Edwin Walker is, IMHO, one of the most important persons in 20th century US History -- but to tell the whole story about him one has no choice but to challenge the Warren Commission and its FBI sources.

It is not only Harry Dean that challenges the Warren Commission conclusions. General Walker himself -- in letter after letter and speech after speech, called the Warren Commission a pile of falsehoods.

As I told John Dolva -- I believe that General Walker was an honest man -- deep inside -- and he really wanted to confess the truth about his role in the JFK assassination, and about what he truly believed regarding global politics.

This is why, IMHO, Walker called the German newspaper, Deutsche NationalZeitung in the wee early morning hours after JFK was assassinated, and told them -- a week before the FBI had any clue -- that Lee Harvey Oswald was really his shooter on 10 April 1963. (This isn't speculation; this was part of the questioning of Edwin Walker before the Warren Commission.)

In his personal papers Edwin Walker claimed to have known about Lee Harvey Oswald only days after the 10 April 1963 shooting at his back window in Dallas. He wrote about this fact many times in his newsletters. Walker, IMHO, wanted to confess the truth for his entire life after 1963. He continually said that the Warren Commission conclusions were simply false.

I believe Walker wanted to confess -- deep down inside. He was a proud US General and, though internally conflicted with personal demons (e.g. he was a homosexual in the closet) -- otherwise he was a courageous and honest man.

Harry Dean did not despise General Walker. Harry was a volunteer for his local Republican Party in Southern California, and Harry held Edwin Walker in high respect until the aftermath of 22 November 1963.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo

Answers

Harry J. Dean...My choice to assist Cuban Revolutionary movement began in late 1957 as an humanitarian gesture. By 1960 it all had turned

into political ashes. My choice was to then enlist with individuals and organisations actively opposed to the great and cruel deception that had

betrayed the True Revolution in Cuba.

My thinking is, don't get involved in such activities that assist or oppose, if you choose adventure, don't write a book on the subject. For example,

in Cuba I was threatened with death, in the ebook 'Confessions', destruction!

Have been a life-long moderate, Real Republican.

Well, Harry, it's a bit late to turn back now. You're already on a Senate record as a past Secretary of the FPCC in Chicago. You're also in FBI records as a figure in extreme right-wing circles in Southern California (e.g. the JBS).

Your life is one of the most colorful lives of the 1960's, IMHO, because your personal experiences cover the gamut of left-wing extremism and right-wing extremism -- although you yourself were a moderate Republican through the entire experience.

You're basically a social person, Harry -- and you make friends easily. This took you to Fidel's Cuba and it took you to a meeting in Southern California where you heard Ex-General Edwin Walker plot against JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald in the same minute.

I'm continually amazed at your sense of adventure, and I think your readers will be amazed with your true story as well. (By the way, your eBook is now available to everybody for $4.99 at Smashwords, at this URL: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/367550 )

It's also true that you have suffered lots of opposition for telling your true story, e.g. from the FBI when they began opposing you in 1965 for coming out with your story to the public in the Joe Pyne Show in Los Angeles, and later in the Tomorrow Show in New York.

Jealous writers like W.R. Morris scrambled your story beyond recognition for decades.

Now that your eBook, Harry Dean's Confessions, came out, it's little surprise that advocates of J. Edgar Hoover will panic at your true story, and accuse you of lying. The FBI itself has little interest in your story, fifty years later, but jealous individuals who lead lonely, colorless lives will still try to resurrect those old FBI hostilities.

Don't give up, yet, Harry. Keep heart. Your story will one day enjoy the wide circulation it deserves. I hope that day comes soon.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo

Answers

Harry J. Dean...My choice to assist Cuban Revolutionary movement began in late 1957 as an humanitarian gesture. By 1960 it all had turned

into political ashes. My choice was to then enlist with individuals and organisations actively opposed to the great and cruel deception that had

betrayed the True Revolution in Cuba.

My thinking is, don't get involved in such activities that assist or oppose, if you choose adventure, don't write a book on the subject. For example,

in Cuba I was threatened with death, in the ebook 'Confessions', destruction!

Have been a life-long moderate, Real Republican.

Well, Harry, it's a bit late to turn back now. You're already on a Senate record as a past Secretary of the FPCC in Chicago. You're also in FBI records as a figure in extreme right-wing circles in Southern California (e.g. the JBS).

Your life is one of the most colorful lives of the 1960's, IMHO, because your personal experiences cover the gamut of left-wing extremism and right-wing extremism -- although you yourself were a moderate Republican through the entire experience.

You're basically a social person, Harry -- and you make friends easily. This took you to Fidel's Cuba and it took you to a meeting in Southern California where you heard Ex-General Edwin Walker plot against JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald in the same minute.

I'm continually amazed at your sense of adventure, and I think your readers will be amazed with your true story as well. (By the way, your eBook is now available to everybody for $4.99 at Smashwords, at this URL: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/367550 )

It's also true that you have suffered lots of opposition for telling your true story, e.g. from the FBI when they began opposing you in 1965 for coming out with your story to the public in the Joe Pyne Show in Los Angeles, and later in the Tomorrow Show in New York.

Jealous writers like W.R. Morris scrambled your story beyond recognition for decades.

Now that your eBook, Harry Dean's Confessions, came out, it's little surprise that advocates of J. Edgar Hoover will panic at your true story, and accuse you of lying. The FBI itself has little interest in your story, fifty years later, but jealous individuals who lead lonely, colorless lives will still try to resurrect those old FBI hostilities.

Don't give up, yet, Harry. Keep heart. Your story will one day enjoy the wide circulation it deserves. I hope that day comes soon.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Whatever one thinks about Harry's story, there is this inconvenient fact:

"WorldCat" is the world's largest database of library listings. They list the holdings from over 74,000 libraries in 170 countries. Their listings include books, pamphlets, booklets, audio/visual recordings, doctoral dissertations, masters theses, internet resources, computer files, serial publications, archival materials, conference papers and many more items. In May of last year, they added a library item which brought their total listings to 2 billion.

If you perform a search on Harry Dean or Harry J. Dean, here is what you will discover:

1. "The Secret Papers of Harry Dean, Former FBI-CIA Agent" (a 25 page pamphlet which is only available at 3 libraries). This was written and self-published by W.R. Morris but Harry has stated that it is NOT accurate.

2. "York and the Rape of Justice" (35 page pamphlet written in 1990 by Harry Dean and first published in March 1991 which is available in only one location, namely, the 6th floor Museum at Dealy Plaza).

I presume that "York" pertains to the JFK murder. The WorldCat listing indicates that it was published in Hesperia CA by "Probe News".

In addition - I also noticed that no used bookseller has anything listed for sale (book, booklet, or pamphlet) which was written by Harry.

I normally use "Addall.com" to search for booksellers that have obscure books and pamphlets because Addall searches the holdings of 36 different online companies -- including major ones like Amazon, Borders, and Powell plus companies which specialize in obscure hard-to-find titles (such as Alibris) and Abebooks. Abebooks lists holdings of 10,000 booksellers!

I have no clue regarding how many people over the past 50 years have purchased something written by Harry, but whatever that number is, it appears that nobody has ever donated their copy to their local library or sold it to a used bookstore.

By contrast, I have purchased many copies of exceptionally rare items from online used booksellers (or from Ebay auctions) including audio cassettes of JBS National Council Dinners, rare pamphlets about the Illuminati, entire years of the JBS Bulletin or the JBS magazine, American Opinion, etc.

So....it does not seem like Harry's story or his publications are ever likely to get much "wide circulation"

Edited by Ernie Lazar

As readers of this thread know, several of my messages in this thread have suggested that Paul Trejo (or other interested parties) familiarize themselves with the research and writings of our nation's most well-known and accomplished scholar about FBI history and practices (Dr. Athan Theoharis).

For those who are not familiar with his career, check out this brief summary:

http://www.wisconsinacademy.org/contributor/athan-theoharis

A major portion of what we know regarding FBI abuses and illegal activities has been the result of the meticulous decades-long research by Dr. Theoharis. Every serious student of FBI history (particularly during Hoover's tenure) cites publications of Dr. Theoharis. No serious person disputes his expertise.

Recently, I sent several questions to Dr. Theoharis because I wanted to discover if anything I have written in response to Paul Trejo's accusations or insinuations should be revised or retracted because of my own limited knowledge. I copy below my questions (black font) and the answers I received from Dr. Theoharis (blue font).

1. Are you aware of any factual evidence ever developed by any reputable scholar or journalist or legislative body which has proven that somebody within the FBI (HQ or field office) during Hoover's tenure ever forged a letter addressed to J. Edgar Hoover and then the Bureau knowingly placed their own forgery into a FBI HQ or field office file to make it appear that some person had written such a letter to Hoover?
Let me thus answer your questions in the order that you posed. First, I am unaware of any instance when an FBI official forged a letter to appear that it was submitted by someone outside the Bureau.
2. Are you aware of any factual evidence which has established that the FBI (during Hoover's tenure) ever altered the FBI's own HQ or field office internal records-keeping systems or indexes to purge references to certain individuals or subjects -- particularly years or decades after such records were first created?
For illustration purposes, have you ever seen any evidence that FBI HQ received memos or reports from one or more field offices in, say, year 1960 which 5 or 10 or 20 years later they decided to purge from all the files where they had placed copies of those serials and they also deleted all references to those serials from their Central Records System and from their field office indexes?
Second, it is impossible to verify that the FBI systematically purged records. We do know, under the Do Not File procedure, that requests seeking authorization to conduct break-ins were submitted in a way to ensure that they could be (and were) safely destroyed. We also know, under the “summary memorandum procedure", that whenever field offices formally submitted information on congressional candidates that would normally result in that communication be serialized in the FBI’s central records system that they were instructed to resubmit informally to avoid serialization. We also know, under the blue/pink/informal memorandum procedure, that sensitive communications among officials at FBI headquarters were submitted (under this procedure) to avoid serialization and permit destruction
3. This last question pertains exclusively to internal documents (memos, reports, airtels, etc) where FBI officials communicated with each other about some individual or organization or subject.
In other words, for purposes of this question, I am not referring to any communication sent outside the FBI to any non-FBI employee.
Have you ever seen, or heard about, any factual evidence which establishes that FBI employees (during Hoover's tenure) deliberately lied when they prepared memos or reports to communicate among themselves about any subject matter?
For example: suppose a field office was asked to provide HQ with a summary of information in its files concerning a specific individual OR suppose a HQ Section Chief was instructed by Hoover or by an Assistant Director to provide a summary of information in FBI files about a specific individual.
Do you know of any proven instance where a field office SAC or Special Agent would deliberately write a false report about what was contained in their files and then send it to HQ?
OR do you know of any instance where a HQ Section Chief or Assistant Director would deliberately write a false report supposedly summarizing information in FBI files -- which then would be forwarded to other FBI employees or perhaps even to Hoover?
Third, I am unaware of any instances of lying. Fourth, I am unaware of any instance of false reporting. I trust that this is somewhat helpful. Athan
I am presenting this information because Paul Trejo often makes accusations about FBI behavior or practices which (as I have previously pointed out) not even the most severe critics of Hoover have ever made.
If we are going to have any sort of rational fact-based discussion it is incumbent upon ALL of us to present high-quality verifiable factual evidence. As I have mentioned before, any fiction writer can INVENT a story or INVENT an accusation which may seem to be plausible. There is a never-ending bottomless pit of hypothetical possibilities to consider if one's imagination is the only restraining factor.
Addendum:
I received a new email from Dr. Theoharis after I posted my previous message (above). Theoharis replied to a question I asked him regarding FBI informants. His comment was as follows:
"Operating on the assumption that FBI records would never see the light of day, there was no reason for FBI officials to have purged or forged records relating to FBI informers or investigations of American Communists. I find these kinds of wild assertions just that wild and unbelievable. Athan."
Edited by Ernie Lazar

FYI: Update re: FBI file on Wesley G. Grapp:

I received a notice today from the FBI stating that they estimate 2931 pages are responsive to my request for FBI files/documents on Los Angeles SAC Wesley Grapp. Normally, I receive the first interim release within 8 weeks of receiving the FBI's page estimate.

A interesting account on General Walker can be found on the Mary Ferrell Foundation.

TRANSLATION OF THE BOOK "A CONSPIRACAO" (THE CONSPIRACY) BY NEWTON CAR

Page 33

The Walker Case.File can be found here.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=96226&relPageId=33

Malcom, I believe that your sharing of this material is so relevant to the Harry Dean thread that it deserves much fuller attention.

The title as given in the Mary Ferrell Foundation is as follows:

Oswald 201 File, Volume 38B

NARA Record Number: 1993.06.12.11:25:09:340000

TRANSLATION OF THE BOOK "A CONSPIRACAO" (THE CONSPIRACY) BY NEWTON CAR -- THE WALKER CASE (pp. 33-36)

To move this thread along, I typed in the entire section entitled, "The Walker Case." It consists almost entirely of a resignation document written by Edwin Walker when he resigned from the US Army in November, 1961. I'll comment on this writing in a separate post.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

----------------------- BEGIN EDWIN WALKER CASE --------------------------

PAGE 33

The agitation of the right in the United States is stimulated by the noisy "Walker case". Relieved of command of an infantry division for imposing anti-Communist concepts of the John Birch Society on his troops, General Edwin Walker requested transfer to the reserve, saying:

"I must be freed from the power of those little men who in the name of my country punish its loyal servants."

The statement that General Walker sent to the US Senate requesting transfer to the reserve is one of the most important documents of the time of profound changes in the structure of the society of the United States. It is worthwhile to be familiar with all of it.

"Through the grace of God and the will of the Congress, I had the honor of serving as officer of the United States Army for the past 30 years. My life and my service record testify to my purposes, my hopes, and my devotion to the troops. I hope there is no possible doubt about the origin and depth of the sentiments that inspire my conduct.

"I was relieved of command of the 24th Infantry Division. My career, through which I was able to be useful to the country, was cut short. I cannot accept the pension that they offered to me, with pay and benefits, for this would be to go against my principles.

"I leave the military career with an intolerable disappointment. I have to find other means to serve my country in a time of such urgency, to stay faithful to the ideal of my whole life.

"For this reason, I must free myself from the authority of little men who, in the name of my country, punish its most loyal servants.

"Even before that subcommittee was entrusted with finding out the facts about censorship of higher officers, public opinion was already aware of the flagrant conflict of that censorship with the needs of the struggle for our survival. That awareness was demonstrated on the occasion of the clamorous cases like those of Generals Stilwell, Patton, Patch, MacArthur, Walton Walker and Van Fleet.

"As far as I know, everything began in October 1959 when I noted among the men of the division whose command had been entrusted to me a complete lack of awareness not only of the power of the enemy but of his intentions with relation to us. A response had to be given to his continued threats, to his challenges, to the harangues directed at our troops by Radio Moscow every night.

PAGE 34

"All the members of Congress who visited the advance posts of our army where our soldiers stand guard day and night, year after year, recognized the situation and the seriousness of that problem. As for us, the superior officers, it was our concern for every hour of the day and for every day of the year. Would our men have a correct idea of the power and the brutality of the enemy?

"My main objective and my daily task were to see that the boys of my unit knew how to use their weapons efficiently and realistically. They should learn to kill and to destroy, to live and to protect. Each man is a source of intelligence, resolution, and comfort. He must know how to see and hear, to shoot and not to shoot. He must live in hope and fear, with courage and conviction.

"We are at war, and the enemy is infiltrating our ranks. Every day that passes we lose that war a little more. Shall our hands and yours be tied? For he have to avoid defeat. If the Congress is not capable of taking care of this, then it is because the people of the United States are not faithfully represented.

"I deplore, like Douglas MacArthur, the fact that the executive power has been given prerogatives so boundless that the members of the armed forces have been treated in the most arbitrary and brutal manner for having dare to tell the truth dictated by their conscience. It is of that usurpation of the authority of the legislative power, which should control the conduct of the military, that I am today the victim.

"In this disgrace, I am in good company.

"Lack of knowledge of the enemy, lack of understanding of his actions on all fronts, lack of power to face him, up to the ultimate consequences in defense of the United States, can only aid him and encourage him – this constitutes treason, according to our Constitution.

"There can be no coexistence on a battlefield.

"My accusers are only individual voices. They are not America. They separate me from the soldiers that I know and from the office that is mine. They use my oath against me.

"Everything now depends on the courage of the patriots who understand the conditions of our survival. It is useful to point them out here once again.

"Our objective is not peace but freedom. If we are watchful, vigilant, strong, and desirous and worthy of defending our freedom, peace will be preserved. If we make the Soviet leaders understand that we are ready to fight, there will be no need for us to go into battle.

PAGE 35

"Communists are not fighters. They are not even consummate conspirators. It is another type of people who do most of the work for them.

"No nation has ever chosen Communism in free elections. We know that wayward forces are collaborating for the establishment of the Communist authority over such a large number of men. We know that the Communists want to reduce all others to servitude. And the Kremlin knows well that the smallest flame of freedom that continues to glow can set fire to the rest of the world.

"Speeches on coexistence are only concessions to the timid and the gullible. With the others, the Kremlin resorts to other methods.

"One of the great conflicts of history is the one that opposes man to the state. An example of the road that we are traveling in this field is the following: even a short time ago, a liberal was one who believed in the protection of individual freedoms against usurpations of the state. Every man no doubt has to obey a higher authority. But I do not believe that one should leave to these usurpers the task of deciding whether that higher authority should be the President or the palace guard, God or the Kremlin.

"In Korea, where I commanded the artillery on Heartbreak Hill, and later, when I commanded the infantry in Gibraltar, for 20 months I saw victory being replaced, little by little, by deadlock.

"In 1955, in Formosa, as adviser of the Chief of Staff of the Chinese Nationalist Army, I had the opportunity to measure the consequences of a hesitating policy.

"There cannot be coexistence on a battlefield.

"It is still up to us to agree among ourselves and with our allies about a simple definition: Communism is the enemy. We employ its agents in our schools and in our universities, permitting them to plant seeds in the fertile mind of our youth. They infest our entertainment industry. Some time ago, they infiltrated our government, where subversive elements have been active for 30 years.

"Even our free press is exploited by Communist propagandists. The collaborators of Communism find ardent and militant defenders among certain groups of citizens, many of whom are sincerely deceived and led astray. The governments that the leaders of those groups fight are described as reactionary. In other nations of our hemisphere, we have seen those groups take over absolute power. In Cuba, we even helped them.

PAGE 36

"Nations whose governments are solidly anti-Communist are always receiving rocks from the United States thrown by elements who succeeded in entrenching themselves within our government in such positions that they can claim to speak in our name. I write that with sadness, but with conviction.

"Many Communist aggressions now considered to be accomplished facts could never have happened if we had been vigilant and informed -- and to be vigilant we would have to be informed. Intending to discourage those among us who try to alert us by informing us, the enemy and the aides under his orders will stop at practically nothing, but always running the risk of being unmasked if they should go too far.

"During the past two years, the chiefs of military units worked under terribly difficult conditions. The boys who came to us from the schools, from the churches, and from the American homes were not informed about their enemy. The teaching and training that they should have received had been seriously neglected. We consider it necessary then to remedy that insufficiency.

"The effort of mobilization of the 24th Infantry Division for the cold war had in its favor the authority of an instruction dictated by the National Security Council in 1958, which made an appeal to all the services – civilian, diplomatic and military – to mobilize within the framework of the Cold War. Nevertheless, my efforts in this direction led to my being removed from command.

"If it is now established that the unit commanders have the right to express themselves only on a limited number of subjects when they are speaking to their troops, then it will be impossible to remedy the lack of training of the soldiers.

"The higher organs decided expressly that I should no longer pass one to my comrades in arms the information that I consider necessary to strengthen their morale and their capability to survive.

"My objective henceforth will be to try to do as a civilian what it is no longer possible for me to do wearing the uniform.

"War has been declared.

"Every man is a soldier.

"Let us remember the words of a Marine general to his men:

"We are surrounded. Let us not let them escape."

----------------------- END EDWIN WALKER CASE --------------------------

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo

In his resignation document of 1961 that I reproduced above, Edwin Walker celebrates 30 years of distinguished service in the US Army, yet at the same time he resigns his post, giving up his 30-year pension, and making himself the only US General in the 20th century to do something so self-destructive.

Later in life Walker would plead with the US Army to restore his pension, and his pension would be restored twenty years later. It is bizarre that Walker would reject his pension -- as if there were strings attached. Walker seems ignorant of the fact that he could have retired from the US Army and become a leader of the KKK if he wanted to, and still collect his pension.

A military pension makes no demands on one's political orientation. Yet Walker played the martyr -- most likely because he was playing directly to the public. If so, this tells us his motive for quitting the military, for giving up his pension, and for writing this "Case" letter -- namely, Walker wanted to enter politics.

Walker will not forgive the JFK White House for removing him from his post in Germany. Walker wrote: "I leave the military career with an intolerable disappointment." This will be his running platform.

Walker had in mind the JFK White House when he wrote: "I must free myself from the authority of little men who, in the name of my country, punish its most loyal servants." In this way, Walker even separated the JFK White House from "the name of my country."

Walker will not spell out his politics in this writing. He only hints at it, but historians can make out the contours from the hints. Walker's politics begin with Joseph McCarthy and the HUAC. We know this by sentences like the following; "...public opinion was already aware of the flagrant conflict...on the occasion of the clamorous cases like those of General...MacArthur..."

This recalls the era when Truman fired MacArthur. Walker not only compares himself with General MacArthur here, but also reminds the public of Joe McCarthy who started his crusade by accusing Truman of helping the Communists when he fired MacArthur.

In 1957 through 1959 General Walker was stationed in Little Rock, Arkansas, in order to lead federal troops to support the Brown Decision to racially integrate Little Rock High School. Yet by October 1959, the complaints of racist right-wingers in Arkansas had convinced Walker to quit. In fact, Walker submitted his first resignation to the Eisenhower White House in 1959, citing some mysterious "fifth column conspiracy."

We should note that General Walker had joined the John Birch Society (JBS) during this same period. That is why he said, "As far as I know, everything began in October 1959 when I noted among the men of the division whose command had been entrusted to me a complete lack of awareness not only of the power of the Enemy but of his intentions with relation to us."

In the context of Little Rock, Arkansas in 1959, Walker's troops suffered "a complete lack of awareness" of the power and intention of the Communists -- according to JBS propaganda. Walker's troops were unaware of the JBS teaching that the Eisenhower White House was really the Communist Enemy, and took its orders from Radio Moscow.

That is what Robert Welch suggested in his book, THE POLITICIAN, in those days, and General Walker swallowed that bait, hook, line and sinker.

This explains why General Walker resigned from the US Army in October, 1959. But Ike would not accept Walker's resignation, and instead, promoted Walker to a command over 10,000 troops in Augsburg, Germany. Walker started this command in December, 1959, and in one more month, the JFK White House would take over, and according to the JBS, the JFK White House was just as Communist as Ike's, if not more so.

Walker again tried to compare himself with General MacArthur, and thus to portray JFK as a weakling civilian who manipulates US Generals in favor of the Communists. That is why Walker wrote: "I deplore, like Douglas MacArthur, the fact that the executive power has been given prerogatives so boundless that the members of the armed forces have been treated in the most arbitrary and brutal manner for having dare to tell the truth dictated by their conscience."

When he says, "executive power," Walker means the White House. Truman fired MacArthur. JFK fired Walker. This was "brutal" he says. They weren't fired because they disobeyed orders -- oh no -- they were only trying to "tell the truth as dictated by their conscience." Walker fails to tell the whole story here.

What frustrated Walker was that 'all he wanted to do' was to teach his troops about anti-Communism. But he fails to admit openly that his definition of Communism was the JBS definition of Communism, namely, that all US Presidents since FDR have been Communists.

If Walker had openly admitted that, he would have become a laughing-stock in the USA. But as long as he only hinted at it, lots of people believed he was being unfairly silenced -- and so some portion of those people concluded that JFK *must* be a Communist!

Notice the way that Walker, like the JBS, patronized the JFK White House; in the context that the JFK White House dismissed Walker from his post, Walker writes: "My accusers are only individual voices. They are not America. They separate me from the soldiers that I know and from the office that is mine."

Even though JFK and LBJ were elected by America, Walker had the nerve to say that "they are not America." And even though he was duly and officially dismissed from his post for military infractions, he insisted that the office was still "mine."

Walker is clearest in his imitation of Joe McCarthy and HUAC when he begins to accuse US schools, universities and the entertainment industry of supporting Communism. Walker wrote: "Communism is the enemy. We employ its agents in our schools and in our universities, permitting them to plant seeds in the fertile minds of our youth. They infest our entertainment industry."

But Walker clearly imitates the JBS when he began to accuse the White House itself of supporting Communism. Walker wrote: "Some time ago, they infiltrated our government, where subversive elements have been active for 30 years."

Walker's sentence is a bit clumsy -- he begins, "some time ago," but ends with a precise figure, "30 years." So it all started around 1932, when FDR was elected President. This retells the standard JBS doctrine that all US Presidents since FDR have been Communist.

In this very resignation letter, Walker continued his JBS propaganda by writing: "Even our free press is exploited by Communist propagandists." So we can't even trust our newspapers -- who can we trust? General Walker trusted the JBS magazines with his life.

By attacking the free press in this way, Walker affirmed his case that JBS literature should be more widely disseminated -- not only among US military troops, but also among all US citizens. Walker wrote: "Many Communist aggressions...could never have happened if we had been...informed." Who is preventing US troops from learning the JBS opinion about Communists which Walker claimed was the only correct opinion? The free press! So, for Walker, the free press must also be a part of the Communist Conspiracy.

Further, the JFK White House prevented General Walker from teaching his troops the JBS doctrines about Communists in the White House, so this means that the JFK White House was also helping the Communists! With his circular logic, Walker wrote: "Intending to discourage those among us who try to alert us...the enemy and the aides under his orders will stop at practically nothing."

Walker accepted the job to "unmask" the JFK White House as the Enemy -- not now, but sometime soon.

In the meantime, Walker builds his case that he was an innocent victim, and did not deserve to be dismissed from his command in Germany. Walker wrote: "An instruction dictated by the National Security Council in 1958...made an appeal to all the services...to mobilize within the framework of the Cold War."

In other words, 'all General Walker was trying to do' was obey this NSC directive to teach his troops about Communism. But instead of being thanked he was fired. (So JFK must be afraid of anybody who wants to teach the troops the JBS opinion about Communism. This was Walker's conclusion. Walker was no intellectual, but that never prevented anybody from having political ambitions.)

Walker fails to tell us exactly what he was teaching his troops. However, Walker did write this: "If it is now established that the unit commanders have the right to express themselves only on a limited number of subjects when they are speaking to their troops, then it will be impossible to remedy the lack of training of the soldiers."

Walker argues that if right-wing extremists can't teach troops anything they want, then troop training is "impossible." Walker argues that he was only trying to teach his troops about Communism. So what if he also believed that FDR, Truman, Ike and JFK were all Communists, too? That should be a matter of freedom of speech!

Yet the truth is that the US Military has always had a policy that nobody holding a Military post could engage in politics. To engage in politics, the individual must first retire from the US Military. That simple. But Walker could not wait -- Walker chose to enter politics right there in Germany, and teach his troops that "Truman and Eleanor Roosevelt" were "definitely pink."

Well, this is all that was officially reported -- what he really told his troops from 1960 through 1961 we can probably guess based on his firm support of the JBS. It was the strain of this Anti-American message, this crypto-treasonous assault on the US White House that caused the scandal in Germany and reached the US newspapers.

In any case, Walker resigned from his US Army post in November, 1961, and he wrote: "My objective henceforth will be to try to do as a civilian what it is no longer possible for me to do wearing the uniform." This, in my reading, is a clear declaration that Edwin Walker was going to enter politics. That is about the only thing a US civilian can do which a US military person cannot do.

Walker concludes with these words: "War has been declared. Every man is a soldier." This, in my reading, is a direct confrontation in the face of JFK. Walker suggests here that JFK declared war on Walker when he dismissed Walker from his command. Now Walker will seek to dismiss JFK from his command.

IMHO, by saying that "every man is a soldier," Walker was reducing JFK down to his own level -- man to man -- and may the best man win.

Best regards,
--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo

MORE INFO REGARDING NARA FILES ON HARRY DEAN

For interested researchers, I am attaching a pdf document which lists all the serials in Harry's Los Angeles FBI main file (105-12933) which are located at NARA. Unfortunately, there is no way to sort the "hits" so that they appear in chronological sequence by serial number.

However, Harry's Los Angeles file was opened on July 18, 1962 (the date of the first serial). The last serial is dated May 1, 1990 (which appears to be a memo from Chicago field to Los Angeles).

Most of Harry's Los Angeles FBI file documents are NOT posted on Mary Ferrell's website. In fact, most of the Los Angeles serials which are on the Ferrell website, are copies of Los Angeles serials which were filed in Harry's HQ main file (62-109068).

Altogether, there are 65 serials (about 250 pages) in Harry's Los Angeles file.

Harry LAX file.pdf

Edited by Ernie Lazar

For interested researchers, I am attaching a pdf document which lists all the serials in Harry's Los Angeles FBI main file (105-12933) which are located at NARA. Unfortunately, there is no way to sort the "hits" so that they appear in chronological sequence by serial number.

However, Harry's Los Angeles file was opened on July 18, 1962 (the date of the first serial). The last serial is dated May 1, 1990 (which appears to be a memo from Chicago field to Los Angeles).

Most of Harry's Los Angeles FBI file documents are NOT posted on Mary Ferrell's website. In fact, most of the Los Angeles serials which are on the Ferrell website, are copies of Los Angeles serials which were filed in Harry's HQ main file (62-109068).

Ernie, as usual I thank you for posting this FBI information about Harry Dean on this thread. It is extremely valuable to historians.

Yet in this case it seems that although NARA found 63 "hits" for your query, there are only 25 items listed inside this single PDF file you posted.

Did I miss something?

Thanks,

--Paul Trejo

Ernie, as usual I thank you for posting this FBI information about Harry Dean on this thread. It is extremely valuable to historians.

Yet in this case it seems that although NARA found 63 "hits" for your query, there are only 25 items listed inside this single PDF file you posted.

Did I miss something?

Thanks,

--Paul Trejo

BUMP.... I will get this right on 3rd try....lol

Edited by Ernie Lazar

Ernie, thanks for the update of this list of FBI files on Harry Dean. NARA has identified 63 serials so far. There are probably more, but let's just sort through what you've shared so far.

1962 -- There are four FBI serials from 1962, with a total of 7 pages. The serials start with July 18th and stop at September 28th.

This corresponds to the second year <not the first> that Harry Dean moved to Los Angeles from Chicago. Actually this was a year and a few weeks after Harry settled in town, since he moved in June, 1961 on the same day he wrote to JFK and then drove his family from Chicago to Los Angeles.

So, we see that within a year and a few weeks the FBI made some sort of file on Harry Dean. Why? Did Harry initiate the contact? Harry's Confessions say that the FBI initiated the contact a few weeks after he arrived in Los Angeles, asking about people involved with Fidel Castro's Cuba. Harry said that he cooperated with the FBI at that time. We look forward to seeing these four serials and we ask if there might be earlier serials still withheld by the FBI.

1963 -- There are five FBI serials from 1963, with a total of 8 pages. The first serial is from April 1963. Perhaps this was also about Castro, but we should wait to read it.

The next four FBI serials are more interesting, because they begin with November 22, 1963 which is the day JFK was assassinated. The next file appears four days later; and in six days the next file; and in eight more days the final file of the year.

I think we can safely say that all of these four FBI serials on Harry Dean were about the JFK assassination. (We may remember, too, that Harry said that he met with FBI SAC Wesley Grapp around this time, so it will be interesting to see what these FBI files contain.)

1964 -- There are fourteen FBI serials from 1964, with a total of 81 pages. There are apparently three groups -- the first group starts in January and ends in March. The second group contains only two serials (the first in May, the second in October) but one is by far the largest serial, with 23 pages all by itself. The third group starts in late November and ends in December.

As we know, 1964 was the year of the Warren Commission hearings. I think we might reasonably presume that the first group of FBI serials on Harry Dean in 1964 has to do with the JFK assassination on some level.

The second group (one large file in May) occurs in the middle of the Warren Commission sessions, and might be a summary of Harry Dean's story for the Commission -- it will be interesting to see.

The third group interests me more, because it appears after the Warren Commission was finished, so has nothing to do with it. Further, it is mainly concentrated in December, the final month of the year.

Harry's Confessions suggest that this was when he was in negotiations with the Joe Pyne Show to tell the world his story about General Walker, the JBS and all the rest of it. The FBI was very much against Harry's actions at this time. My guess is that section will consist largely of hostile reports and actions against Harry Dean for breaking his silence.

1965 -- There are twenty-one FBI serials from 1965, with a total of 45 pages. The serials begin at the end of March and are fairly evenly dispersed through the end of October.

There are more FBI serials about Harry Dean in 1965 than in any other year. The reason is unclear -- all we know at this point is that Harry Dean has already broken his silence about General Walker and the John Birch Society and has been telling his story in the public media in 1965, and that FBI was displeased with this behavior. Yet with the end of October, 1965, the serials suddenly stop.

1966 -- There are only five FBI serials from 1966, with a total of 15 pages. The serials begin at the in mid-October and end in early December. The reason for this FBI interest is hard to guess.

1967 -- There were six FBI serials from 1967, with a total of 8 pages. Again, it is unclear what interest the FBI might have had in Harry Dean in 1967.

After 1967 there is apparently no FBI interest in Harry Dean until 1975, when Harry is somehow relevant to the William Atwood Testimony in one file. Then in 1977 there is one serials. In 1990 there is one serial. Also, there are five FBI serials that are undated, so we must catalog those later.

What is clear from this NARA report is that the Los Angeles FBI was clearly interested in Harry Dean from 1962 through 1967 with a whopping 55 serials (holding 164 pages) about Harry Dean in less than six years. The interest we have revolves around the question -- WHY?

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

<edit correction of 1962 period>

Edited by Paul Trejo

When do we get to see the files?

Well, Paul B., that's the question of the hour, isn't it? Ernie Lazar, despite all our disagreements, is clearly providing historical material of value here.

I know too, Paul B., that you were interested in the question of Harry's letter to J. Edgar Hoover in November, 1963, of which we have two versions -- the version that the FBI offered (ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS) and the one published in Harry's 1990 manuscript, Crosstrails.

Well, here's a blockbuster from Harry. After careful examination of the FBI version of the letter, Harry recently told me that the FBI memo looks familiar to him, and that he probably wrote it!

Yes, this is a sea change on this thread.

Under pressure from hostile posts, Harry went into denial mode. But with patience, and taking his time, Harry slowly and carefully examined that FBI document, taking into account all of its words, phrases and ideas -- and finally recognized that it contained his own thoughts.

So, that part of our debate is officially closed, and I admit that I was mistaken. I no longer claim that the FBI version of Harry's letter to Hoover is a forgery by the FBI. (Now we can all look forward together to read the 63 FBI files that NARA is releasing about Harry Dean. It's been a long time coming.)

To anybody I might have offended in my defense of Harry, I offer an apology only on behalf of myself, and not for Harry, if I was too strident.

In defense of Harry Dean, the tone of attacks in this thread remain too hostile for a gentleman of 87 years, who after all, deserves some respect for his enduring and continuing efforts in this hostile field of JFK research. I can assure you personally, nobody is making any money on Harry's contribution.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo