The Education Forum

Looking for a JFK Researcher

In the early day's of the JFK saga, after the release of the Warren Report was met with skepticism, most individuals who are familiar with the history of those who were not buying the Warren Reports assertions, are familiar with names like Bertrand Russell, Mark Lane, Sylvia Meagher, William Turner - Ramparts, Harold Weisberg, and Penn Jones Jr. We all are indebted to them in one way or the other.

However, there was a woman in Oklahoma named Shirley Martin whom until recently, I was not familiar with. But I am sure I would like, she would take her kids and come to Dallas to augment the work of what was known as The Housewife Investigator's or something like that; the others I am not too familiar with I know one was in New York and one on the West Coast (Sylvia Meagher?).

Anyway, is Shirley Martin still "with us," I am not privy to her age. If she is still around does anyone know how to reach her or in the event of her passing, next of kin?

In the early day's of the JFK saga, after the release of the Warren Report was met with skepticism, most individuals who are familiar with the history of those who were not buying the Warren Reports assertions, are familiar with names like Bertrand Russell, Mark Lane, Sylvia Meagher, William Turner - Ramparts, Harold Weisberg, and Penn Jones Jr. We all are indebted to them in one way or the other.

However, there was a woman in Oklahoma named Shirley Martin whom until recently, I was not familiar with. But I am sure I would like, she would take her kids and come to Dallas to augment the work of what was known as The Housewife Investigator's or something like that; the others I am not too familiar with I know one was in New York and one on the West Coast (Sylvia Meagher?).

Anyway, is Shirley Martin still "with us," I am not privy to her age. If she is still around does anyone know how to reach her or in the event of her passing, next of kin?

Robert,

I think Shirley Martin is a major character in the pulp paperback book The Scavangers and Critics of the Warren Report by Lawrence Schiller - I'm probabaly spelling his name wrong, but like Posner, he's not so much a hired-gun writer as a journalsitic whore - who has also done jobs on Lenny Bruce, O.J. and other hot topics. Among the scavangers and critics is the Housewives Underground, which gives profiles of Shirley Martin, Sylvia Meagher, Mae Brussell, Mary Ferrell, et. al. His lame attempts to discredit them actually makes them look like real American heroes.

Syliva was in New York, Mae on the West Coast. j

Don't know if she is dead or alive.

BK

Robert,

I think Shirley Martin is a major character in the pulp paperback book The Scavangers and Critics of the Warren Report by Lawrence Schiller - I'm probabaly spelling his name wrong, but like Posner, he's not so much a hired-gun writer as a journalsitic whore - who has also done jobs on Lenny Bruce, O.J. and other hot topics. Among the scavangers and critics is the Housewives Underground, which gives profiles of Shirley Martin, Sylvia Meagher, Mae Brussell, Mary Ferrell, et. al. His lame attempts to discredit them actually makes them look like real American heroes.

Syliva was in New York, Mae on the West Coast. j

Don't know if she is dead or alive.

BK

Thank's Bill, yeah I read some of Schiller's "stuff" in that book on the Net. I would tell you what I thought about it but I wouldn't want anyone to think I had Tourette's Syndrome.

Robert,

In 1967, Calvin Trillin wrote an article on the early critics. In his article, he wrote:

"Mrs. Martin, who now lives in Owasso, a small town outside of Tulsa,..." He also wrote:

"she and her husband have adopted an American Indian boy,..."

According to Mary Ferrell's database, her name was, Mrs. Mark E. Martin

You might try looking there.

Steve Thomas

Robert,

In 1967, Calvin Trillin wrote an article on the early critics. In his article, he wrote:

"Mrs. Martin, who now lives in Owasso, a small town outside of Tulsa,..." He also wrote:

"she and her husband have adopted an American Indian boy,..."

According to Mary Ferrell's database, her name was, Mrs. Mark E. Martin

You might try looking there.

Steve Thomas

Hey thanks Steve! That is very kind of you. I will get steppin.

Hi Robert:

There is some information on Shirley Martin , in the beginning of Harold Weisberg's

"Photographic Evidence"...

She was the first researcher to begin gathering the photographs from and in relation

to the Assassination ...I believe it was with her help he obtained the photos that he

discusses in his book....

Some "housewives" those girls....

B.. B)

Edited by Bernice Moore

Hi Robert:

There is some information on Shirley Martin , in the beginning of Harold Weisberg's

"Photographic Evidence"...

She was the first researcher to begin gathering the photographs from and in relation

to the Assassination ...I believe it was with her help he obtained the photos that he

discusses in his book....

Some "housewives" those girls....

B.. B)

Shirley's daughter, Teresa Smith.... was on the Forum, perhaps you can contact her??

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...=shirley+martin

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...%20martin&st=15

B....... B)

Edited by Bernice Moore

Bill wrote:

I think Shirley Martin is a major character in the pulp paperback book The Scavangers and Critics of the Warren Report by Lawrence Schiller - I'm probabaly spelling his name wrong, but like Posner, he's not so much a hired-gun writer as a journalsitic whore - who has also done jobs on Lenny Bruce, O.J. and other hot topics

According to Belli's memoirs, Schiller helped persuade Belli to represent Ruby. According to Joan Mellen's book, Schiller also assisted Lawrence Howard during the Garrison probe.

Schiller also did substantial research for Norman Mailer's books, "Harlot's Ghost" and "Oswald's Tale" (or at least one of them.

I think he is a competent rearcher and a good writer (several books to his credit) so characterizing him as a "whore" may not be fair to the man.

Bill wrote:

I think Shirley Martin is a major character in the pulp paperback book The Scavangers and Critics of the Warren Report by Lawrence Schiller - I'm probabaly spelling his name wrong, but like Posner, he's not so much a hired-gun writer as a journalsitic whore - who has also done jobs on Lenny Bruce, O.J. and other hot topics

According to Belli's memoirs, Schiller helped persuade Belli to represent Ruby. According to Joan Mellen's book, Schiller also assisted Lawrence Howard during the Garrison probe.

Schiller also did substantial research for Norman Mailer's books, "Harlot's Ghost" and "Oswald's Tale" (or at least one of them.

I think he is a competent rearcher and a good writer (several books to his credit) so characterizing him as a "whore" may not be fair to the man.

Yea, Tim, did you read Mailer's books? Mailer paid Schiller as much as he paid alimony to his ex-wives, and Mel Bell did Ruby no favors. And if he assisted Larry Howard, he probably obstructed justice. Schiller was paid well for trashing independent researchers in Scavingers, his mission is not the truth, he walks like a whore, he talks like a whore, he writes like a whore, so you want to call him a duck? The Schil's a schill. Why be fair to someone who wasn't fair to Shirley Martin, Mae Brussell, Sylvia Meagher, Mary Ferrell or Oswald?

BK

Yea, Tim, did you read Mailer's books? Mailer paid Schiller as much as he paid alimony to his ex-wives, and Mel Bell did Ruby no favors. And if he assisted Larry Howard, he probably obstructed justice. Schiller was paid well for trashing independent researchers in Scavingers, his mission is not the truth, he walks like a whore, he talks like a whore, he writes like a whore, so you want to call him a duck? The Schil's a schill. Why be fair to someone who wasn't fair to Shirley Martin, Mae Brussell, Sylvia Meagher, Mary Ferrell or Oswald?

BK

Schiller is intriguing. Did you read his book on the Simpson trial? One of his main sources, strangely enough, was a fellow ho who was paid 100k to say that O.J.'s cuts were inconsistent with a prolonged knife fight. The same ho who confirmed the single bullet theory and insisted there was no evidence for a second shooter in the Kennedy case... Dr. Michael Baden. Presumably, they met on a street corner somewhere and swapped some stories between tricks.

[quote name='Pat Speer' date='Nov 30 2005, 10:09 AM' post='46865']

BK

Schiller is intriguing. Did you read his book on the Simpson trial? One of his main sources, strangely enough, was a fellow ho who was paid 100k to say that O.J.'s cuts were inconsistent with a prolonged knife fight. The same ho who confirmed the single bullet theory and insisted there was no evidence for a second shooter in the Kennedy case... Dr. Michael Baden. Presumably, they met on a street corner somewhere and swapped some stories between tricks.

Pat, Bill (etc)

I read Schiller's OJ book and found it to be pretty well written. But don't even get me started on "whores" Baden or Mailer. In 1978 or so, when HSCA was running out of $ and about to go out of existence, Mailer was still a good guy. He threw a huge fundraiser at his NY home and all the critics were invited. Carl Oglesby was the guest of honor. It was guite the evening. The next day Mailer had us- (the Assassination INformation Bureau and girlfriends of)- over for lunch and he was most gracious and adament about the innocence of LHO. So when he wrote his pro LN book I was astonished at his selling out. Carl told me that Mailer owed the IRS a lot of money, as if this could possibly absolve him of prostituting himself on this case.

I remember during the HSCA hearings seeing Dr Baden telling the panel that the "magic bullet" was "very flattened" and "could" have done all the damage that darlin arlin had attributed to CE 399. I have disliked Baden since and consider his opinion on anything worthless as a result of his innane HSCA testimony.

Whores indeed. (Or as the late great Jim Garrison wrote to me in 1986, speaking of such people: "prostitute is too good a word")

Dawn

Pat, Bill (etc)

......Mailer was still a good guy. He threw a huge fundraiser at his NY home and all the critics were invited. Carl Oglesby was the guest of honor. It was guite the evening. The next day Mailer had us- (the Assassination INformation Bureau and girlfriends of)- over for lunch and he was most gracious and adament about the innocence of LHO. .....Dawn

Yea, I watched Mailer get sloshed after a talk at school. He's a bad but interesting drunk who wrote an entire book about what it was like to sleep in Oswald's bed in Minsk, which he chalked off as 'research.'

Dawn, is there an official organization of the Girlfriends of the Assassinations Informaiton Bureau - that would be the GAIB?

Is that when the AIB was near Dupont Circle in DC or when in Boston?

BK