The Education Forum

AF1 Pilot & Candy Barr

In the spirit of Penn Jones FORGIVE MY GRIEF

Pilot Lewis Hanson, flew JFK's body back to D.C. Monday, Jan. 2, 2006 AP LACONIA, NH - Lewis Hanson, a pilor of four presidents who brought John F. Kennedy's body back from Dallas aboard Air Force One, has died. He was 81.

Hanson, a retired U.S. Air Force colonel, died at a hospital last Tuesda, according to the Mayhew Funeral Home in Meredth.

Hanson flew everyone from British Prime Minister Winston Churchill to the Shah of Iran. His presidential passengers included President Harry S. Truman, Gen. (and later President) Dwight D. Eisenhower and President Johnson.

No flight was sadder for him than bringing Kennedy's body back to Washington from Dallas. On Nov. 22, 1963, he watched Kennedy step from the plane at Love Field, then went to visit his mother-in-law. He saw news of the assassination on television.

"My mind rejected the idea, as though it was some kind of bad dream," said Hanson, who flew as pilot or back-up pilot on every trip during Kennedy's presidential years.

Later that day, he stood in the doorway of Air Force One while Johnson, with Jackie Kennedy by his side, took the oath of office.

"We knew we were witnessing an historic event," he said. "There was a nwe president. And there was sadness."

Hanson retirerd in 1969 to Center Harbor, N.H., where he raised cattle and chickens and produced maple syrup...."

Candy Barr, 70, exotic dancer assoicated with Jack Ruby AP ABILENE, Texas - Candy Barr, a well-known exotic dancer from the late 1950s who settle dinto a quiet town in Texas has died. She was 70. The Texas native died Friday of pneumonia at a hospital.

She rose to prominence as an exotic dancer in Dallas and was associted with nightclub onwe Jack Ruby, who was accused of gnning down Lee Harvey Oswald, the man suspected of assassinating President Kennedy.

Barr also performed in Los Angeles and Las Vegas and at one point earned $2,000 a week.

At 16, Barr starred in one of the most famous stag movies, "Smart Alec," in 1951. She was known for her choreography and trained actress Joan Collins for the movie "Seven Thieves."

Her career was derailed in 1959 when she was sentenced to 15 years in prison by a Dallas judge for possing less than an ounce of marijuana. She served about three years and later moved to Brownwood.

"I met Murder on the way-

He had a mask like Castlereagh;

Very smooth he looked, yet grim;

Seven bloodhounds follow him:

All were fat; and well they might

Be in admirable plight,

For one by one, and two by two,

He tossed them uman hearts to chew."

- The Masque of Anarchy

From Studies In Murder By Elmund Lester Pearson

Edited by William Kelly

• 11 months later...
In the spirit of Penn Jones FORGIVE MY GRIEF

Pilot Lewis Hanson, flew JFK's body back to D.C. Monday, Jan. 2, 2006 AP LACONIA, NH - Lewis Hanson, a pilor of four presidents who brought John F. Kennedy's body back from Dallas aboard Air Force One, has died. He was 81.

Hanson, a retired U.S. Air Force colonel, died at a hospital last Tuesda, according to the Mayhew Funeral Home in Meredth.

Hanson flew everyone from British Prime Minister Winston Churchill to the Shah of Iran. His presidential passengers included President Harry S. Truman, Gen. (and later President) Dwight D. Eisenhower and President Johnson.

No flight was sadder for him than bringing Kennedy's body back to Washington from Dallas. On Nov. 22, 1963, he watched Kennedy step from the plane at Love Field, then went to visit his mother-in-law. He saw news of the assassination on television.

"My mind rejected the idea, as though it was some kind of bad dream," said Hanson, who flew as pilot or back-up pilot on every trip during Kennedy's presidential years.

Later that day, he stood in the doorway of Air Force One while Johnson, with Jackie Kennedy by his side, took the oath of office.

"We knew we were witnessing an historic event," he said. "There was a nwe president. And there was sadness."

Hanson retirerd in 1969 to Center Harbor, N.H., where he raised cattle and chickens and produced maple syrup...."

Candy Barr, 70, exotic dancer assoicated with Jack Ruby AP ABILENE, Texas - Candy Barr, a well-known exotic dancer from the late 1950s who settle dinto a quiet town in Texas has died. She was 70. The Texas native died Friday of pneumonia at a hospital.

She rose to prominence as an exotic dancer in Dallas and was associted with nightclub onwe Jack Ruby, who was accused of gnning down Lee Harvey Oswald, the man suspected of assassinating President Kennedy.

Barr also performed in Los Angeles and Las Vegas and at one point earned $2,000 a week.

At 16, Barr starred in one of the most famous stag movies, "Smart Alec," in 1951. She was known for her choreography and trained actress Joan Collins for the movie "Seven Thieves."

Her career was derailed in 1959 when she was sentenced to 15 years in prison by a Dallas judge for possing less than an ounce of marijuana. She served about three years and later moved to Brownwood.

"I met Murder on the way-

He had a mask like Castlereagh;

Very smooth he looked, yet grim;

Seven bloodhounds follow him:

All were fat; and well they might

Be in admirable plight,

For one by one, and two by two,

He tossed them uman hearts to chew."

- The Masque of Anarchy

From Studies In Murder By Elmund Lester Pearson

The following is from Deep Politics and the Death of JFK; page 233

it could be entitled "Similarities between Candy Barr and Jack Ruby's legal battles."

......"What remains unexplained is the story of Ruby's relationship in 1963 to Candy Barr, a nationally known stripper and protege of Mickey Cohen in Los Angeles. In 1957, Barr had been arrested and convicted on trumped-up marijuana charges, by the same players [prosecutor William "Bill" Alexander and Judge Joe Brown.] who in 1964 would convict Ruby on evidence that led to a reversal; Barr's defense attorney's, Joe Tonahill and Mel Belli, also represented Ruby".....

Also from Deep Politics & The Death of JFK [pages 233=234]

"What remains unexplained is the story of Ruby's relationship in 1963 to Candy Barr, a nationally known stripper and protege of Mickey Cohen in Los Angeles. In 1957, Barr had been arrested and convicted on trumped-up marijuana charges, by the same players [prosecutor William "Bill" Alexander and Judge Joe Brown.] who in 1964 would convict Ruby on evidence that led to a reversal; Barr's defense attorney's, Joe Tonahill and Mel Belli, also represented Ruby. In 1963 Ruby was regularly in telephone contact with Candy Barr, who was then out on parole, but not permitted to visit Dallas. The rumor persists that the phone calls were related to the strippers attempt to blackmail someone of prominence. The rumor is reinforced by the knowledge that sexual blackmail was a practice for which Mickey Cohen was famous.

For some reason the Barr case also drew the attention of Gordon McLendon, who was one of those who told me in 1977 that she had been framed on the marijuana charge [by members of the Dallas Police Narcotics Squad]. McLendon's brother-in-law Lester May became her first attorney. McLendon told me this when I asked him for information about Bedford Wynne. While not giving me the answers I was hoping for, he volunteered the detail, which seemed trivial at the time, that Wynne's intimate friend George Owen, later the first husband of Maureen Dean, had been the man present at Candy Barr's arrest who may have helped set it up. He also volunteered to me the detail, which at the time seemed unrelated, that when Bobby Baker emerged in 1972 from his time in prison for tax evasion he stayed at McLendon's Cielo ranch north of Dallas."

If one is pondering, Question "is Maureen Dean, "Mo" Dean wife of John Dean of Watergate fame?"

Answer "Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Yes it is, you get to go on to the Bonus Round.

Is anyone familiar with the allegation that Candy Barr assissted Russell Douglas Matthews in running drugs from Mexico? The allegation can be found in a document on the AARC website. I can post the link if anyone needs to see it.

Cheers,

John

I personally, am familiar with the allegations, the whole Mexico aspect of the assassination, not topically but as a whole is a source of great frustration for me personally, and, I would think for the research community as a whole; When the HSCA was conducting their investigation in Mexico they documented the fact that many personages they wished to interview were unavailable, and complained that the CIA didn't appear to be making a good faith effort to assist them in that regard.

In spite of that, there is a smattering of information that hits at the heart of what needs to be resolved, my own thoughts turn to certain individuals for instance, there was a phone number to one Carlos Camorgo, listed in Jack Ruby's phonebook or other possessions in his trunk that was pursued by the Warren Commission how resolutely I can't say...there are some other matters...there were some individuals of interest crossing back and forth from the Texas/Mexico border in and around the same time frame as Oswald, including his brother Robert....if I am not mistaken. There was a report of Oswald being sighted at a brothel called the Mona Lisa. I started to post it on my other Oswald's thread, but there was such a lack if interest, I didn't.

Ruby/Drugs/Guns into Cuba.....Definitely a drug network that ran through there; possibly still very much alive

Robert,

Can you remember the source for the rumours of Candy Barr's involvement in drug running, especially with R.D. Matthews?

Hopefully Ian Griggs will read this and enlighten us a bit.

John

My first inclination was to refer to Ian Griggs' excellent book No Case to Answer. On page three, Griggs writes:

Special Service Bureau

This was the first of the specialized departments. It operated under the command of Captain W. P. Gannaway who was supported by six Lieutenants, 34 regular Detectives, 14 Patrolmen who were temporarily assigned to the Bureau...

Captain Gannaway (at that time known as "Mr. Narcotics") had been in charge of the notorious 1957 undercover operation and raid that culminated in stripper Candy Barr being arrested for possession of half an ounce of marijuana. For this offence, she was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment, actually serving less than three years before being paroled.

and on page 220:

Another famous name that never worked for Jack Ruby was the notorious Candy Barr. Candy (real name Juanita Slusher Dale Phillips Sahakian) was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for possession of less than half an ounce of marijuana in 1958. She was released on parole after serving less than three years. One of the conditions of her parole was that she was not allowed to continue her normal profession as a stripper. Jack Ruby tried repeatedly to persuade her to work at the Carousel Club but she could not afford to violate her parole conditions as that would have taken her straight back to jail.

I found no other references to Candy Barr and none for R.D. Matthews. I remember reading Ian's essays in The Third Decade and thinking how remarkable that a guy in Britain had such an interest in President Kennedy's murder, and did such great research. I came to find out how many great researchers there were in Great Britain and Ireland. I'm still amazed by that.

Ian's book, No Case to Answer is really underrated, in my opinion. It is a great read with lots of unique research into the city of Dallas, its law enforcement apparatus, and the characters that were involved in one way or another in events surrounding the President's murder.

Captain Gannaway (at that time known as "Mr. Narcotics") had been in charge of the notorious 1957 undercover operation and raid that culminated in stripper Candy Barr being arrested for possession of half an ounce of marijuana. For this offence, she was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment, actually serving less than three years before being paroled. (Michael Hogan)

Here is Candy Barr with Gannaway.

James

And I might add, there is at least one remarkable researcher from the Gold Coast of Australia.

Again James, thanks for all of your contributions, not only to this Forum, but to many of your fellow researchers.

Thank you, Michael, for the kind words.

As to Candy Barr and R.D. Matthews, I have not come across a direct link but Candy may have been acquainted with one Dixie Ewert who on more than one occasion had been arrested with Matthews.

I have nothing to directly support that and if the two women did know each other, that doesn't necessarily mean anything sinister.

In keeping with the connections to the Ruby trial, here is Candy Barr and W.W. Mabra.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards

"It's one thing to have a great stage name, but it's the personal story that really makes one legendary. For Candy Barr, her personal life and trials (literally) are just as noteworthy as her life as a famous Dallas and Vegas stripper in the 1950's. In 1956, she shot her drunk and violent husband, and even though he wasn't badly hurt, Barr's manager actually arranged it with the sheriff to increase her bond because it made better press. In 1957, Dallas police stormed into her house and arrested her on drug charges. Because of the storm trooper tactics of the police, the case was appealed all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, who refused to hear the case. She spent three years in jail starting in 1959. In the years while she waited on the appeal she hooked-up with Vegas mobster Mickey Cohen. After she got out she was befriended by club owner and J.F.K. assassination player Jack Ruby. Also, in the 1970's she had a brief weekend affair with Hugh Hefner. Quite a cast of characters within her personal drama! When classic strippers were no longer in demand, Barr retired to Texas where she lives today. "

For some reason the Barr case also drew the attention of Gordon McLendon, who was one of those who told me in 1977 that she had been framed on the marijuana charge [by members of the Dallas Police Narcotics Squad]. McLendon's brother-in-law Lester May became her first attorney. McLendon told me this when I asked him for information about Bedford Wynne. While not giving me the answers I was hoping for, he volunteered the detail, which seemed trivial at the time, that Wynne's intimate friend George Owen, later the first husband of Maureen Dean, had been the man present at Candy Barr's arrest who may have helped set it up. He also volunteered to me the detail, which at the time seemed unrelated, that when Bobby Baker emerged in 1972 from his time in prison for tax evasion he stayed at McLendon's Cielo ranch north of Dallas." (Robert Howard)

Hi Robert,

Interesting stuff.

I seem to remember that Lester May was also the court-appointed attorney for Lawrence Miller.

Bedford Wynne is definitely a curious character. Amongst other things, he was the honorary chairman of the Democratic Men of Dallas County. In 1964, they named their first life member, Lyndon Johnson.

In September of 1963, a dinner was held at the home of James Ling to honor Dr. Edward Teller. This was an intimate gathering with two of the guests being Bedford Wynne and Harold D. Byrd.

As for Maureen Dean, I seem to recall that after separating from George Owen, and before she married John Dean, she married a guy named Michael Biner, an old college boyfriend. He was killed in a car crash.

FWIW.

James

For some reason the Barr case also drew the attention of Gordon McLendon, who was one of those who told me in 1977 that she had been framed on the marijuana charge [by members of the Dallas Police Narcotics Squad]. McLendon's brother-in-law Lester May became her first attorney. McLendon told me this when I asked him for information about Bedford Wynne. While not giving me the answers I was hoping for, he volunteered the detail, which seemed trivial at the time, that Wynne's intimate friend George Owen, later the first husband of Maureen Dean, had been the man present at Candy Barr's arrest who may have helped set it up. He also volunteered to me the detail, which at the time seemed unrelated, that when Bobby Baker emerged in 1972 from his time in prison for tax evasion he stayed at McLendon's Cielo ranch north of Dallas." (Robert Howard)

Hi Robert,

Interesting stuff.

I seem to remember that Lester May was also the court-appointed attorney for Lawrence Miller.

Bedford Wynne is definitely a curious character. Amongst other things, he was the honorary chairman of the Democratic Men of Dallas County. In 1964, they named their first life member, Lyndon Johnson.

In September of 1963, a dinner was held at the home of James Ling to honor Dr. Edward Teller. This was an intimate gathering with two of the guests being Bedford Wynne and Harold D. Byrd.

As for Maureen Dean, I seem to recall that after separating from George Owen, and before she married John Dean, she married a guy named Michael Biner, an old college boyfriend. He was killed in a car crash.

FWIW.

James

It is amazing how the topic at hand ties in to so many other "important areas" are you privy to any of the names of the detectives involved in the bust that went down re Lawrence Reginald Miller? I have always suspected there was a real good reason why that particular document "was never found." Sure were a lot of interesting Miller's, in Big D back then....

John,

Robert,

Can you remember the source for the rumours of Candy Barrs involvement in drug running, especially with R.D. Matthews?

Hopefully Ian Griggs will read this and enlighten us a bit.

John

You can find reference to this in volume IX of the HSCA Appendix volumes, page 531 here:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=539

The footnote references for this report are on page 1157 here:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...;relPageId=1165

Steve Thomas

It is amazing how the topic at hand ties in to so many other "important areas" are you privy to any of the names of the detectives involved in the bust that went down re Lawrence Reginald Miller? I have always suspected there was a real good reason why that particular document "was never found." Sure were a lot of interesting Miller's, in Big D back then.... (Robert Howard)

Robert,

In the Miller bust, FBI man Joe Abernathy was the one who saw the weapons moved from one car to another before the accident.

Dallas patrolmen J.B. Allen and J.R. Sales were the ones involved in the chase and hence the arresting officers. Here they are below. That is Allen on the left and Sales on the right.

I have something somewhere on Miller's marijuana bust a few years earlier. I will have to dig through some boxes to find it.

James

I was checking some of my notes and came across some more Dallas networking regarding the events surrounding Candy Barr and her troubles.

A woman by the name of Virginia Strom testified that she was the one who owned the marijuana in Candy Barr's possession when arrested. Virginia's brother is Harry Strom, convicted drug pusher and user who in turn knew a man by the name of Floyd Bentley very well.

In 1952, Bentley shot Detective Harvey Totten (who survived) during a narcotics raid; Lummey Lewis being another who participated in this raid. Bentley was also well acquainted with R.D. Matthews.

Harvey Totten was the detective who located himself in the same apartment building and tapped Candy Barr's phone. Totten below.

James

Edited by James Richards