The Education Forum

Paul Rothermel. the Hunt memo.

Guest Stephen Turner

As the estimable British researcher Martin Hay once said, Livingstone's Killing the Truth is one of the ten worst books ever written on the JFK case.

According to Bart, the unnamed source Harry used for that piece of junk was Rothermel.

In Joan Mellen's book on DeMohrenschildt, Our Man In Haiti, she makes a good case that Rothermel was CIA. (pp. 335-378)  In their internal memos, even the NY Times thought this was the case.

This concept of the CIA utilizing the Texas oil barons for what Jim Garrison  termed as "false sponsors",  goes back to the whole Farewell America hoax.  Which I was at pains to expose in Destiny Betrayed, second edition. (pp. 281-83)  Bill Boxley was one of the main purveyors of that to Garrison.  And according to Weisberg, who helped blow it up, a source that Lamarr and de Vosjoli used in penning that fairy tale was Rothermel.

Harry was being played like a violin. If he had done his research on what happened in New Orleans, he would not have been so easy to dupe.  

Edited by James DiEugenio

Hi Jim,

My interest with Paul Rothermel was the statements regarding purchasing a copy of the Z film for H.L. Hunt on the assassination night of Nov 22nd,1963.

Those statements were made way back before 1992 and 1993 before Harry got involved. In fact i am positive i read about them prior to Oliver Stones movie being released in 1991 when i was living in London. To back that purchase up, many well to do people in Dallas circles had stated they had seen the Z film at Hunt private dinners and parties way before 1975. 

H.L. Hunt had the resources and inclination to desire a copy of any film showing a man he believed to be a communist sympathizer meeting an end in his backyard.It was the story/event of the century and he wanted to see it.

A couple of other things back up my belief Rothermel paid Zapruder for a copy(most likely) or the original of the Z film that night....Zapruder not getting home until after 11:15 pm that night but having left his office after 7pm, his excuse was he just drove around Dallas for 4 hours. I believe that was when he met with Rothermel.

The second thing was that Zapruder donated $25,000 to Mrs Tippit and announced that to the world within 72 hours of the shooting:. Zapruder wasn't poor but i don't think he had $25k sitting in the bank doing nothing. He got paid by H.L.Hunt for a copy of his film and he got paid within the first 24 hours. He received $25k from Life in December 63 another $25 in January 64 and then 4 more payments of $25k in January of 65, 66, 67 and 1968. Yet before he got a cent, he declared he would give away $25,000 to the Tippit family. Perhaps to ease his conscience a little for taking Hunts money (my belief).

The rest of Rothermels statements to Livingstone who knows. They (the files Bart links) make great reading and its not up to me to verify any of the statements he made 27 years ago  to Harry.  Rothermel passed away in 2002, but went into service as a public lawyer and judge after leaving the Hunts employ. We know he was former FBI but i've never seen a CIA file attributed to him or listing him by name as supplying info to another CIA agent for reporting to higher ups.

Just my thoughts on an interesting man of the times who had great access to powerful people around Dallas in 1963/64.

Adam:

She deals with that also, on p. 371.

To put it mildly, its highly unlikely.

• 1 year later...
On 10/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, Allison Roth said:

Bill, i see that you have actually been inside my grandfathers home. Only people that have been inside the house understand the “kill room”. I’d like to talk more, but im hesitant. My family is unusual to say the least. -AR

Edited by Joe Bauer