The Education Forum

Rafael Molina and John Molina

John Simkin

Has anyone any information on Rafael Molina and John Molina. Could they be the same man?

Robert Parry, Lost History (1999)

One of those exiles - who would play a part in Molina's life story - was Guillermo Hernandez Cartaya. Along with hundreds of other Cubans, Cartaya traveled to Central America for training in Brigade 2506, the core assault force for the invasion.

On April 14, 1961, under CIA direction, the 1,400-man brigade landed at the Bay of Pigs. Quickly, however, the Cuban army pinned down the invaders and captured 1,189 of them, including Cartaya. Months later, the U.S. government ransomed Cartaya and the others with $53 million in medicine, tractors and other equipment.

But the Bay of Pigs soldiers did not simply fade away. Many stayed with the CIA and carried the anti-communist crusade to far flung corners of the globe. Some fought with special counterinsurgency teams in Vietnam. Others signed up with intelligence agencies throughout South America.

By the 1970s, Cartaya was hitting it big in politics and banking, too. According to Jonathan Kwitny's Endless Enemies, Cartaya parlayed his anti-Castro credentials into powerful relationships, even joining Nelson Rockefeller on hunting and fishing trips. Then, in the mid-1970s, Cartaya launched his most ambitious endeavor, an international financial holding company called the World Finance Corp., later renamed WFC Corp. The firm's maze of banks reached to the United Arab Emirates, Switzerland, London, the Caribbean, Miami, Colombia and Panama.

To head the crucial Panama bank, known as UniBank, Cartaya recruited another Cuban exile whom Cartaya had met during travels to Atlanta. That Cuban exile was John Molina. Taking up Cartaya on his job offer, Molina moved to Panama City to run UniBank. With Molina at the helm, UniBank began steering Cartaya's money from all over the world into untraceable accounts. Molina also oversaw Cartaya's extensive financial dealings in Colombia and other South American countries. Millions of dollars were going in and out of major Colombian agricultural projects.

But Cartaya's banking empire encountered troubles in South Florida. Responding to a routine call, Dade County police found large quantities of marijuana residue in a Miami dumpster. Along with the marijuana residue, police discovered business records of corporations connected to WFC. As the investigation developed, authorities uncovered other corporate links between WFC and Aerocondor, a South American airline that had been caught smuggling drugs. Police also discovered that WFC agents had contacts with the Mafia drug syndicate of Santo Trafficante, Jr., whose lucrative narcotics operations had dominated Cuba prior to Castro's revolution.

Other leads went off in surprising directions. The anti-Castro Cartaya, it seemed, had worked with a suspected Cuban government spy. Even more perplexing, WFC had received a$2 million loan from the Narodny Bank, a KGB-connected Soviet financial institution that was responsible for scrounging up hard currency for Moscow. Police came to suspect that WFC was an intelligence front. Federal investigators found that about a dozen WFC officials had past associations with the CIA.

"It was drugs, it was money laundering, it was everything," South Florida detective James Rider told me. "I know the CIA was in there somewhere."

The investigators also came to know the name of John Molina. He was not regarded as a powerful player though. He was just one of Cartaya's financial lieutenants carrying out orders. But the authorities recognized that UniBank was an important cog in Cartaya's money-laundering machine.

I wonder if this is the same Molina that appeared in this CIA document.

CIA, Secret Intelligence Report, Activities of Cuban Exile Leader Orlando Bosch During his Stay in Venezuela (14th October, 1976)

TO: Lt. M. BROMLEY, Supervisor

DATE: January 11, 1962

SUBJECT: Assist other Agency - Alleged plot to assassinate the President of the United States

At approximately 6:30 P.M., January 10, 1962, Detective A. L. TARABOCHIA was contacted at his residence by Secret Service Agent ERNEST ARAGON in reference to alleged plot to assassinate the President of the United States.

Agent ARAGON revealed that, according to the information received by his agency, RAFAEL ANSELMO RODRIGUEZ MOLINS, a naturalized U.S. citizen of Dominican ancestry, was en route to Miami from Chicago to attempt to assassinate President KENNEDY next time he arrives in West Palm Beach. The subject also known as RAFAEL MOLINA is a W/M, RODRIGUEZ is known to disguise himself as a priest and carries a weapon concealed in a camera case. Since the subject has a badly infected foot, there is a possibility that he walks with a limp. Agent ARAGON added that the subject was to contact a Cuban male living in the Miami area before proceeding to West Palm Beach. The Cuban, ARMANDO PABLO LOPEZ ESTRADA QUINTANA, was a member of the forces that attempted the invasion of Cuba on April 17, 1961. LOPEZ is a W/M, DOB 3/15/39, 6ft, 200 lbs., last known address New York City, NY. LOPEZ is married and his wife's name is MERCEDES LOPEZ.

On January 11, 1962, the writer contacted a number of Cubans in position to furnish information concerning the suspects. As soon as this information is obtained it will be forwarded in a report to follow.

The investigation is continuing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

There is indeed a strong basis for interest for information regarding the MOLINA's, but as is the pattern with certain investigators

in Dallas, Buck Revell or say Robert Gemberling, [the latter wrote up voluminous amounts of reports for the Warren Commission] Bucko got his big break in Dallas......I would actually like to mention Ernesto Aragon.....From one of Joe Backes 1st-10th Batch Summaries.......

Document # 10078-10450 is a 7 page document interview summary of Secret Service Agent Ernest Ignacio Aragon dated 3/25/78.

He started with the Secret Service in 1953 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, then he went to Los Angeles, California for two years, then to Washington, D.C. He was subsequently transferred to the White House Detail and in June 1961, largely because he spoke Spanish, he was transferred to Miami, Florida.

When he arrived in Miami, the office consisted of SAIC John Marshall and SA Robert Jamison. The bulk of the office work consisted of check forgery cases but Aragon spent a lot of his time developing Cuban Intelligence and working on Presidential Protection since ca. 1961, President Kennedy spent his weekends at Palm Beach.

Aragon said that he became aware of the deficiencies of the Secret Service in Presidential protection very early in his career. Because of his work on Cuban subjects in Miami he became friendly with some CIA operatives working out of the Miami Station. He was reluctant to identify them but was persuaded to do so and told the writer that he dealt with Ted Shackley, Bill Finch and Mitch Lawrence. Finch was head of the Miami office and Lawrence succeeded him. Aragon discussed with Chief Rowley the need for more formal liaison with the CIA and as a result, was asked to come to Washington in 1962 to discuss it further. He hitched a ride to Washington from Palm Beach on Air Force One.

Aragon met with Richard Helms, Ghosn Zogley, Victor Wallen and Clark Simmons* in Washington. Aragon said representatives of the FBI were also present at this meeting. He said that arrangements were made for the immediate coordination and dissemination of intelligence information relating to the protection of the President.

So the point being, there is a big picture here, and when you consider the voluminous point-counterpoint that has been going on, between the CT-ers and the devotee's of the cult of Warren.....it helps if one can adequately assimilate this data into a larger overall picture.....

No conspiracy eh....

Ask yourself this question

What if what you are about to read [which was in the newspapers in 1964] had been common knowledge the day after Kennedy's assassination.....

Baker Inquiry

Murchison Aide Linked to Hoffa

WASHINGTON -Testimony of a

Silver Spring, Md., insurance man in

the Bobby Baker investigation Tuesday

linked a representative of Clint Murchison Jr.,

of Dallas with Teamster representative James

R. Hoffa in a defunct Florida real estate deal.

In sworn and previously secret testimony

before the Senate Rules Committee

Don B. Reynolds told of being a part of a

6-member syndicate which was to buy land

and make land improvements in Florida in

Reynolds said he and Baker each put $600

cash in the syndicate, which he said was

headed by Thomas Webb, Murchison’s rep-

resentative in Washington. Reynolds said

Webb told him that the Teamsters were

planning a second loan of $400,000

to build a motel, shopping center and

restaurant.

Reynolds testified that he believed another

member to put $600 cash on the deal was

Scott Peek, former administrative assistant

to Senator George Smathers D-Fla. He said

neither Peek’s name nor Smathers name was

listed on the mortage because there was no

stock issued in their names.

He said the cash contributions were delivered

to Webb-the “sparkplug” of the transaction.

Reynolds told the committee he became dis-

enchanted with the deal and went to Hoffa’s

office in Washington to get his name off the

mortage. Webb, he said, took him to Hoffa.

Reynolds asked for permission to remove his

name from the mortage, he testified, with the

understanding he would accept any losses.

The following question and answer

developed with Sen. Carl Curtis R-Neb.

interrogating Reynolds:

Curtis: “What did Mr. Hoffa reply?”

Reynolds: “To the best of my recollection he

said, “Well, don’t worry, they will never see

your records.” The McClellan Committee was

looking at Hoffa’s records at this point.

Curtis: That is what creates my interest.

I am on the Committee.

And he said to me,

“I have got two set’s of books.”

Curtis: He said that?

Reynolds: Yes, Sir. “So don’t worry about them

finding your name, Forget it.”

Curtis: And you were concerned with the

McClellan Committee getting your name?

Reynolds: Sir, I represented reputable companies

and when I recognized the position I had gotten

in, I didn’t like it.

Curtis: And Jimmy Hoffa told you not to worry

about it that he had some other books that he would

show to the McClellan Committee.

Reynolds: Yes, Sir.

Curtis: That is both interesting and helpful.

The witness said Baker introduced him to Webb

sometime in 1958 or 1959.

Reynolds also testified of attending a party

given by Murchison at the Hotel Fountainbleu.

He said some 75 to 100 persons attended, with the

arrangements being made by Webb.

Reynolds was asked what Baker said to him about

Webb.

“He said that Tommy Webb was a good acquaintance

of his that is Bobby’s, and that he was Clint Murchison

Jr.’s representative here in the District (of Columbia)

and that he knew a lot of important people, Reynolds said.”

Reynolds operates a general insurance business

in suburban Silver Spring. He said Baker

did not own any part of his business and did not

invest any money in his operations.

Fountainbleu Hotel eh.....

So the point is......The truth alway's wins....The assassination of Trotsky...? Qui Bono.....Was the Mission Accomplished ONLY

beneficial to the GRU? You think Dulles and McCarthy and the power structure of America in the mid 1940's was excited at the idea of Leon being allowed to come to Mexico.....

The story of how that went down has been illustrated, documented with everything except flow charts...

It's the same thing with JFK in Dallas......

The next big step is connecting Schacht, Walker and Morris with the Extremist's Conclaves...

There is indeed a strong basis for interest for information regarding the MOLINA's, but as is the pattern with certain investigators

in Dallas, Buck Revell or say Robert Gemberling, [the latter wrote up voluminous amounts of reports for the Warren Commission] Bucko got his big break in Dallas......I would actually like to mention Ernesto Aragon.....From one of Joe Backes 1st-10th Batch Summaries.......

Document # 10078-10450 is a 7 page document interview summary of Secret Service Agent Ernest Ignacio Aragon dated 3/25/78.

He started with the Secret Service in 1953 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, then he went to Los Angeles, California for two years, then to Washington, D.C. He was subsequently transferred to the White House Detail and in June 1961, largely because he spoke Spanish, he was transferred to Miami, Florida.

When he arrived in Miami, the office consisted of SAIC John Marshall and SA Robert Jamison. The bulk of the office work consisted of check forgery cases but Aragon spent a lot of his time developing Cuban Intelligence and working on Presidential Protection since ca. 1961, President Kennedy spent his weekends at Palm Beach.

Aragon said that he became aware of the deficiencies of the Secret Service in Presidential protection very early in his career. Because of his work on Cuban subjects in Miami he became friendly with some CIA operatives working out of the Miami Station. He was reluctant to identify them but was persuaded to do so and told the writer that he dealt with Ted Shackley, Bill Finch and Mitch Lawrence. Finch was head of the Miami office and Lawrence succeeded him. Aragon discussed with Chief Rowley the need for more formal liaison with the CIA and as a result, was asked to come to Washington in 1962 to discuss it further. He hitched a ride to Washington from Palm Beach on Air Force One.

Aragon met with Richard Helms, Ghosn Zogley, Victor Wallen and Clark Simmons* in Washington. Aragon said representatives of the FBI were also present at this meeting. He said that arrangements were made for the immediate coordination and dissemination of intelligence information relating to the protection of the President.

So the point being, there is a big picture here, and when you consider the voluminous point-counterpoint that has been going on, between the CT-ers and the devotee's of the cult of Warren.....it helps if one can adequately assimilate this data into a larger overall picture.....

No conspiracy eh....

Ask yourself this question

What if what you are about to read [which was in the newspapers in 1964] had been common knowledge the day after Kennedy's assassination.....

Baker Inquiry

Murchison Aide Linked to Hoffa

WASHINGTON -Testimony of a

Silver Spring, Md., insurance man in

the Bobby Baker investigation Tuesday

linked a representative of Clint Murchison Jr.,

of Dallas with Teamster representative James

R. Hoffa in a defunct Florida real estate deal.

In sworn and previously secret testimony

before the Senate Rules Committee

Don B. Reynolds told of being a part of a

6-member syndicate which was to buy land

and make land improvements in Florida in

Reynolds said he and Baker each put $600

cash in the syndicate, which he said was

headed by Thomas Webb, Murchison’s rep-

resentative in Washington. Reynolds said

Webb told him that the Teamsters were

planning a second loan of $400,000

to build a motel, shopping center and

restaurant.

Reynolds testified that he believed another

member to put $600 cash on the deal was

Scott Peek, former administrative assistant

to Senator George Smathers D-Fla. He said

neither Peek’s name nor Smathers name was

listed on the mortage because there was no

stock issued in their names.

He said the cash contributions were delivered

to Webb-the “sparkplug” of the transaction.

Reynolds told the committee he became dis-

enchanted with the deal and went to Hoffa’s

office in Washington to get his name off the

mortage. Webb, he said, took him to Hoffa.

Reynolds asked for permission to remove his

name from the mortage, he testified, with the

understanding he would accept any losses.

The following question and answer

developed with Sen. Carl Curtis R-Neb.

interrogating Reynolds:

Curtis: “What did Mr. Hoffa reply?”

Reynolds: “To the best of my recollection he

said, “Well, don’t worry, they will never see

your records.” The McClellan Committee was

looking at Hoffa’s records at this point.

Curtis: That is what creates my interest.

I am on the Committee.

And he said to me,

“I have got two set’s of books.”

Curtis: He said that?

Reynolds: Yes, Sir. “So don’t worry about them

finding your name, Forget it.”

Curtis: And you were concerned with the

McClellan Committee getting your name?

Reynolds: Sir, I represented reputable companies

and when I recognized the position I had gotten

in, I didn’t like it.

Curtis: And Jimmy Hoffa told you not to worry

about it that he had some other books that he would

show to the McClellan Committee.

Reynolds: Yes, Sir.

Curtis: That is both interesting and helpful.

The witness said Baker introduced him to Webb

sometime in 1958 or 1959.

Reynolds also testified of attending a party

given by Murchison at the Hotel Fountainbleu.

He said some 75 to 100 persons attended, with the

arrangements being made by Webb.

Reynolds was asked what Baker said to him about

Webb.

“He said that Tommy Webb was a good acquaintance

of his that is Bobby’s, and that he was Clint Murchison

Jr.’s representative here in the District (of Columbia)

and that he knew a lot of important people, Reynolds said.”

Reynolds operates a general insurance business

in suburban Silver Spring. He said Baker

did not own any part of his business and did not

invest any money in his operations.

Fountainbleu Hotel eh.....

So the point is......The truth alway's wins....The assassination of Trotsky...? Qui Bono.....Was the Mission Accomplished ONLY

beneficial to the GRU? You think Dulles and McCarthy and the power structure of America in the mid 1940's was excited at the idea of Leon being allowed to come to Mexico.....

The story of how that went down has been illustrated, documented with everything except flow charts...

It's the same thing with JFK in Dallas......

The next big step is connecting Schacht, Walker and Morris with the Extremist's Conclaves...

• 6 years later...

Robert,

The Aragon story is something - I used the 1962 portion of it in my last chapter of State Secret. Do you remember the documents you used for the Bill Finch and the Mitch Lawrence portion? I noticed that Lawrence worked with TFW Security in 1962, and Finch was with WAVE Security in 1966.

I think he is different than the Ernesto Aragon in Miami, who was Miro Cardona's deputy and referred to as Dr. Aragon. He lived in NYC in 1961, 1962, and 1963. Here, an Ernesto Aragon is described as the Security Officer with the CRC, asking for Secret Service traces on a Pedro Charles letter sent on 11/10/63.

On Dec. 1962, Shackley sent a memo to Bill Harvey discussing Aragon's thoughts on the Cubans and Miro Cardona in particular at some length. WAVE intelligence officers tracked Aragon's relations with Bobby Kennedy and Cardona into April 1963.

After the assassination, the Secret Service Aragon reported security lapses while his Miami boss John Marshall twice mentioned that he was concerned that the Secret Service was involved in the killing of JFK.

Were Lawrence and Smith JMWAVE chiefs before Bill Shackley? I'm trying to track the history of those chiefs.

John -

On your post back in the day about RAFAEL ANSELMO RODRIGUEZ MOLINS, who was allegedly traveling from Miami to Chicago to kill JFK in 1962, I saw a reference to him in Dec. 61 as "the man who shot Galindez". There's quite a story here.

A document identifies "the rogue FBI agent John Frank" as the engineer of the assassination of Jesus de Galindez in 1956 on behalf of the dictator Trujillo. Robert Mayhew, an ex-FBI agent sheparding the Hughes interests, was closely associated with Frank. Galindez was a Basque nationalist and an anti-Trujillo professor at Columbia, and was allegedly kidnapped in the NYC subway and flown to the DR. Also involved with the Galindez killing was Joseph Arthur Zicarelli of the Bonanno family, and Dominican intelligence chief Arturo Espaillat. A Teamster named Frank Chavez was a friend of Espaillat, and turned on him and exposed him as part of Trujillo's payoff apparatus.

To bring this full circle, after Espaillat was arrested, former Dominican intelligence officer "Ralph Molins" was contacted by Frank Chavez in an effort to bring the Teamsters to the DR.

A new book by Stuart McKeever says that the Galindez assassination set the stage for the killing of Trujillo. Robert Maheu helped Trujillo during this period, according to McKeever. Maheu relied on his connections with people like FBI #3 man Alan Belmont. McKeever says the CIA Security Support officers received commendations for their work in this case. McKeever has now filed suit against the CIA for records on the case that have apparently disappeared.

Given that Trujillo was killed in mid-61, was Molins hunting for JFK as an act of revenge by the pro-Trujillo forces? We see a nasty network emerging here.

Bill

Gerry had quite a bit to say about Espaillat. I'll try to find more...

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/belligerence

HEMMING: The Trujillo thing in the Dominican Republic, back in '61 and before that. There was an American, an ex-Marine, who worked for Arturo Espaillat, Trujillo's chief of intelligence. He got involved in some of the Trujillo operations-the Galindez kidnapping, an attempted assassination of [Romulo] Betancourt of Venezuela, and some antiCastro and anti-Haiti things. All through this, Trujillo was kicking some money in the right direction-to Congressman Cooley, Senator [George] Smathers, and some others. A whole gang of congressmen got real friendly with those people. And this American ex-Marine was the bagman; he could get entree to those people. He did all the English publications that Trujillo sent up to congressmen and wrote pro-Trujillo articles for the Indianapolis Star, which Trujillo also kicked money into. But he knew it was only a matter of time before Trujillo's end. [The CIA helped ensure Trujillo's assassination in 1961.] Espaillat knew the whole scheme, and suggested to his American aide that it looked like Washington was gonna "go all the way," so why not just watch what happened? Espiillat tried to take over after the hit went down. He died in an accident in Lisbon a few years ago. His American friend went to work for a private CIA operation in Baltimore called International Services of Information.

[note: was the ex-Marine Robert Emmett Johnson?]

• 3 weeks later...

The Rafael Molina you cite was born in the Dominican Republic, as your post noted. It is interesting that thefull name of Dominican dictator Trujillo was Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina. Made me wonder of this guy is somehow related to Trujillo; however, I find it very unlikely given that Molina is a pretty common last name in DR, and Rafael even more so regarding first names.

Edited by Andric Perez

from CRIMEFILE FORUM

+++++++++++++++++++

1930s

The National Hotel Company was formed out of a deal between Hilton Hotels founder Conrad Hilton and Galveston Island's powerful Moody family. As the depression robbed most American's of their liquidity, Hilton found himself strapped for cash. As a solution to his cash shortage, Hilton borrowed $300,000 from the Moody's using his hotels as collateral. Hilton's loan soon fell into default and foreclosure proceedings were initiated against his properties. Instead of seizing a running the hotels themselves, old man "W. L. Jr.," Moody allowed Hilton to merge his hotels with theirs allowing the up and comer to retain a 1/3rd ownership stake in the newly formed National Hotel Company. For his services as the manager of the venture, the Moody's allowed Hilton to draw a salary of $18,000 annually.

Hilton clashed repeatedly with Shearn Moody Sr., leading him to seek a disolution of the deal. Hilton drew upon the resources and expertise of George W. Laudermilk a onetime liveryman and undertaker turned real-estate mogul. Laudermilk was himself advised by Porter Lindsley a Texas land developer whose brother was once Mayor of Dallas. Lindsey was known to be a tough negotiator with his own links to the Moody's but Hilton was certain that Lindsley would prove a much more agreeable partner than the Moodys. Lindsey secured financing from a group of New Orleans investors who were issued bonds in exchange for cash. The Hilton-Moody partnership ended with Hilton getting control of hotels in Lubbock, Dallas & Plainview Texas. The Moody's maintained a firm grip over the operation by loaning Hilton the sums of $95,000, $60,000 and $35,000 for each of the Hotels he retained. Hilton used these loans to buyout seven of the original investors in his hotel venture who were owed $30,000. Years later Hilton would once again turn to the Moody's as he joined the rush to invest in and construct a series of casinos in the Carribean. His Carribe Hilton in San Juan consisted of a 350 room hotel and casino built at a cost of $7,300,000.

Mary Carter Paint Company was a vehicle used by organized crime to launch its gambling ventures in the Bahamas. Mary Carter turned to the Moody family which controlled the southeast Texas Insurance giant ANICO via its Moody foundation. Seeking to consumate a deal with Huntington Hartford in 1966, Mary Carter's board of directors authorized the sale of $2,000,000 of its 6.5% Series A convertible subordinated notes in addition to $1,000,000 of its 6.5% Series B convertible notes. American National Insurance Company (ANICO) stepped in and purchased $1,750,000 of the available Series A notes. Mary Carter then granted an option to purcahse 25,000 shares of Class A common stock at $5 per share to Kleiner, Bell & Co., as payment for services rendered in placing the shares on the market. Kleiner, Bell & Co., later purchased $100,000 worth of Series B, notes.

ANICO purchased control of Southern California Finance Corporation for $20,000,000. The company would also exercise a tremendous amount of influence in the Nixon administration through the efforts of two native Texans with direct ties to ANICO. Former Treasury Secretary and Texas Gov. John Conally and Assistant Attorney General Will Wilson. William I. Vogler and R. A. Furbush, chairman and president of the American Insurance Company, Vogler and Furbush were key members of a "western banking group," which owned Continental Connector Corporation (CCC) a key investment tool in regard to casino investment in the Bahamas and Nevada. E. Perry Thomas chairman of the Bank of Las Vegas served as CCC's spokesman. Perry is considered vital to the health and success of early Las Vegas. As you can see many of the Moody contacts place them in line with the gambling element that is credited with the founding of Las Vegas. Yet there is more to it than that.

• The Moody's Intelligence Links

Shearn Moody, along with the owner of the Indianapolis Star, helped finance former O.S.S. Colonel Ulius Amoss in the creation of "International Services of Information (I.S.I.), Baltimore, Maryland -- and its publication "INFORM." Yes that O.S.S! The C.I.A links don't end there. There is also a link to Paul Lionel Helliwell former head of the Secret Intelligence Branch of the OSS in Europe. Helliwell was replaced in this post by William Casey in 1945. After the war Helliwell became chief of the Far East Division of the War Department's Strategic Service Unit, an interim intelligence organization formed after OSS was closed down. In 1947 Helliwell joined the Central Intelligence Agency. He was involved with Tommy Corcoran, William Pawley and Claire Chennault in supporting Chaing Kai-shek's government in Formosa in the 1950s. Helliwell, via Corcoran, eventually took over the running of the Civil Air Transport (CAT). He also established the Sea Supply Corporation, a shipping company in Bangkok.

It was Helliwell's idea to use these CIA fronted companies to raise money to help support Chaing Kai-shek. Helliwell is said to have used Sea Supply to import large amounts of arms for the KMT as they fought to keep the Burmese military from throwing them out of the country. The arms were ferried into Burma on CAT airplanes. CAT then used the "empty" planes to fly heroin from Burma to Taiwan, Bangkok, and Saigon. There the drugs were processed for the benefit of the KMT and Chiang Kai-shek's corrupt government in Taiwan and distributed to a number of smugglers in Germany, Italy and the U.S." The infamous French Connection was apart of this operation. In late 1950s he worked for the CIA in Cuba and in the early 60s Helliwell established a base of operations in Miami where he oversaw the funding of anti-Castro operations. Helliwell is most responsible for the established Bahamian offshore banks that were used by Lansky and CIA jointly. The Mercantile Bank and Trust Company and Castle Bank and Trust Company were two such operations. Helliwell also established the
American Bankers Insurance Company in Galveston, Texas. This company provided insurance cover for businessmen with agency ties.

• More on Shearn Moody Jr.

Shearn Moody was one of a number of Texas financiers that helped InterPen arm and equip Tony Questa, Ramon Font, Eduardo "Bayo" Perez and crew after they parted company with the CIA and quit the subchaser "Tejana II" maritime operations in 1962. Tony Cuesta refused to go along with agency prohibitions against "heating-up-the-north-coast" of Cuba by the over-use of raiding missions, and as a result the agency cut off the Texas financing of which Moody was a major player. This forced Tony Cuesta into the the newly formed "Alpha-66" group which received its financing from the Defense Intelligence Agency (D.I.A.) as they became the sole combat raider element of that organization. When Cuesta, Font, "Bayo" and crew discovered later on that Cmdte. Eloy Gutierrez Menoyo was at the top of the Alpha-66 leadership, they immediately broke with Alpha-66 and formed "Comandos Libre", which was later renamed as "Comandos L" -- and under that banner did the LIFE Mag assisted raid at Caibarrien Harbor -- sinking the Soviet merchantman "Baku".

When Howard K. Davis and Douglas Caddy set up the initial operations with "Bayo", their financing came from Shearn Moody and the other Texas financiers. This included a first strike/occupation of Cap Haitien Airport, Haiti. Initial financing was secured from parties located in New York and Baltimore. Weapons, ammo, explosives, etc. were acquired from Rich Lauchli (LOXCO) in Collinsville, Illinois. Lansky bagman Mike Mclaney assisted in a number of ways, but remained focused primarily on the Operations run by Robert Kennedy's SGA/DI team. Kennedy's squad remained segregated from the agency units until the latter part of 1963. Shearn Moody kept in close contact with Col. Arturo Espaillat, Robert Emmett Johnson in Montreal providing financial support for their operations. Johnson is a legendary mercenary whose movements are closely tied with those of Myer Lansky and Paul Helliwell. Johnson reportedly worked for both President Anastasio Somoza in Guatemala and Rafael Trujillo in the Domenican Reublic.

Shearn Moody maintained close contact with elements of
Houston's "Hughes Tool Company", and was known to have had seemingly unfettered access to the companies assets including aircraft, vessels, and other equipment which were necessary in supporting operations against Cuba. Details of exactly how Shearn Moody became involved in the LHO "dangle" to the Cuban DGI/DSE Mexican operation and his knowledge of same, remains highly classified. Caddy has stated that "it was understood by RFK," considered Moody to be a "Patriot", and counted him as a loyal figure who could be counted on to cooperate in the support of any SGA/DI operations. Some of which were later carried out under the auspices of "subordinated projects that had been crypto'd as AM/TRUNK, AM/WORLD, AM/TRUCK, AM/TRASH, etc. !"

Edited by Steven Gaal

• 1 month later...

Message to Bill Simpich regarding your earlier question about the document, that is a 1978 HSCA Era document which I had copied from Joe Backes Batch Documents.....

I will have to dig for that one, and may take awhile.I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.....

There are a smattering of interesting factoids regarding the persons mentioned in this thread....The document below

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=65806

circa 1962, has to do with Ernest Ignacio Aragon, the first couple of pages are virtually illegible, but when you get to the viewable portion

there is a little message that has him wanting to pass along the word to Dr. Miro Cardona that he [Aragon] wanted to talk to him regarding the

"security of the President,"

hmmm....

The portion of the document that is illegible, IMO is intentionally illegible. FWIW

On other matters, I discovered recently that there was a Secret Service agent with the same last name

as organized crime figure James Henry Dolan, head of Dallas AGVA called Ruby in period leading up to JFK Assassination

see Jerome Dolan is this Jerry Dolan

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/parties.php?&irn=10033111

Below is the Education Forum page on James Henry Dolan; so it seems the last update was when the HSCA investigators spoke with

him in an Atlanta prison in 1978.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7374

Even if I am wrong, surnames are important, and nothing should be assumed, until shown

otherwise.....

And the next one, if it had a title might be "And I always thought it was the Lacombe training camp"

Home/Archive/Documents/JFK Assassination Documents/JFK Documents - Central Intelligence Agency/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection, Box 37/

NARA Record Number: 104-10104-10083

MEMO RE MOVIE FILM OF DECAROLIS TRAINING CAMP

MEMORANDUM From John

......We have also received word that a former brigadier

has 2000 feet of movie film taken covering the training conducted at the Decarolis

film which he plans to turn over to the New York Times and Life to support the claim

CIA was running the camp. I sent a brief memo to the DDP just to alert him to

the possibility of another rash of unpleasant publicity.

Decades later, unfavorable publicity and CIA are virtually synonymous, I mean from the Fall of the Berlin Wall

to the current Soviet Ukraine powerplay they've been out of the loop on major world events with intelligence ramifications, over and over

What is it that they do over there?

Edited by Robert Howard

• 4 years later...

Message to Robert Howard - Here is a better copy of the 11/7/62 Ernest Ignacio Aragon memorandum - it is totally legible.

Aragon said that he obtained considerable information about the Cubans of a security nature and would pass it on to the head office in DC, who would then spread it to the appropriate agencies.

On 5/23/2014 at 1:59 PM, Robert Howard said:

Message to Bill Simpich regarding your earlier question about the document, that is a 1978 HSCA Era document which I had copied from Joe Backes Batch Documents.....

What is it that they do over there?

3 hours ago, Bill Simpich said:

Message to Robert Howard - Here is a better copy of the 11/7/62 Ernest Ignacio Aragon memorandum - it is totally legible.

Aragon said that he obtained considerable information about the Cubans of a security nature and would pass it on to the head office in DC, who would then spread it to the appropriate agencies.

Quoting Mr. Howard in case he has his notifications turned on...