The Education Forum

communications override/hacking?

This is just a technical question because I don't know the answer.

I was listening to the DPD Channel 1 broadcast of Nov. 22nd, and thinking about the four minutes or so between a2:30 and 12:35 when Channel 1 was filled with static. I have read of the theory that someone's mike was stuck open. (Suspicion fell on H.B. McLain I think).

Listening closely, I think I pick up the words, "All Units, All Units". If someone's mike was stuck open, you shouldn't be able to hear that should you? Could several people talk at the same time, because I don't hear anyone yelling, "Shots fired. Shots fired".

Rather than a stuck open mike; at that time in 1963, would it have been possible to hack in and override the police communications channel - let's say if you knew the frequency and had broadcasting powers?

Steve Thomas

Steve, you would need a very high powered transmitter, and I think the point is  you would have to jam it with some with of noise, even if it were white noise...you could not simply damp it, you have to override with another transmission.  Also, I think there has been much talk of cross talk, transmissions from one of the police channels to the other, as a possible explanation.  Anyway, actually jamming the police transmissions would surely be a dead give away of a serious conspiracy as I think that would be quite obvious. 

Steve - I don’t know the answer to your question. But I think that if records were available it would be interesting to listen in on whatever the Continuity of Government bunker under the Dallas fairgrounds was broadcasting that day on their secure communications. 

It would have been easy to jam a single channel, if their radios used amplitude modulation. Just transmit a high-powered sinewave.

Radios located near the jammer would be the most effectively jammed, while those furthest away the least effectively jammed. Two radios located far from the jammer but near each other would have the greatest likelihood of successfully communicating in spite of the jamming.

53 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - I don’t know the answer to your question. But I think that if records were available it would be interesting to listen in on whatever the Continuity of Government bunker under the Dallas fairgrounds was broadcasting that day on their secure communications. 

Paul,

Actually, that crossed my mind. The ARRB should have demanded those.

"Army apparently didn't tell commission of Oswald's alias "

Dallas Morning News 3/19/78

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/F%20Disk/FBI/FBI%20Records%20Release%2012-7-77%20News%20Accounts/Item%20069.pdf

"However, Biggio, who was directing police intelligence communications at the Fair Park office the day of the assassination...."  "Don Stringfellow, a fellow police intelligence officer working with Biggio at the Fair Park office,..."

http://www.texasescapes.com/DallasTexas/Dallas-Texas-Fair-Park-26-WRR-Headquarters.htm

The radio station, located on 1310 AM, received its license in 1921. For reasons unknown, it used the call letters WRR. In addition to broadcasting music, WRR provided radio equipment for the city departments until they could acquire their own apparatus and administered dispatching services for private ambulances and the Cockrell Hill police.”

http://dallascityhall.com/government/citysecretary/archives/Pages/Archives_WRR.aspx

Until the departments had their own internal support, WRR supplied and maintained all radio equipment for Police, Fire, Park and Recreation, Water, Public Works, and the former Health Department. At its peak it furnished dispatching services for Dallas County, Cockrell Hill Police Department, and private ambulance services (in the days before 911). WRR discontinued these adjunct services in 1969.

New Police Radio Facilities:

https://m.facebook.com/Dallas-Police-Department-Museum-116586565145351/

In 1951, the new radio room opened in City Hall.

Larry and Sandy, Thanks for your input. I have to admit, I don't exactly know how jamming works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_jamming

"Obvious jamming is easy to detect because it can be heard on the receiving equipment. It usually is some type of noise such as stepped tones (bagpipes), random-keyed code, pulses, music (often distorted), erratically warbling tones, highly distorted speech, random noise (hiss) and recorded sounds."

I wondered about all that static you hear in those four minutes or so.

Steve Thomas

The key here is "it could have been jammed" or whatever you  want to call it.

Was it? Most probably not. The reason is simple. It was not necessary to do so.

The shooters were in place and the fake 6th floor  nest ready. The car drove down, the shots were fired, and the deed was done....6 seconds in and out.

What or how could jamming the band possibly have helped? It wouldn't  have helped at all so there's  really no reason to speculate about it.

2 hours ago, Michael Walton said:

Was it? Most probably not. The reason is simple. It was not necessary to do so.

The shooters were in place and the fake 6th floor  nest ready. The car drove down, the shots were fired, and the deed was done....6 seconds in and out.

What or how could jamming the band possibly have helped? It wouldn't  have helped at all so there's  really no reason to speculate about it.

If it would add one extra element of security to jam local radio communications on frequencies not used by the shooter-spotters, would it have been done?  That would have been the electrical equivalent of issuing phony Secret Service ID - prevent immediate intellectual connections from being made.  Divert people from places they might go and choices they might make.  Force responders into alternate channels of behavior under panic conditions

The equivalent also of cutting the power in the TSBD momentarily, which there are witnesses to. 

Could jamming have been done from a laundry truck and trailer parked at an adjacent street corner?  Without affecting shooter-spotter frequencies?

Edited by David Andrews

2 hours ago, Michael Walton said:

Michael,

I will freely admit that the idea of radio jamming is purely speculative, but disrupting communications is classic military doctrine.

I would submit that the first few minutes would be crucial in creating confusion and sowing chaos, making escape that much easier.

Steve Thomas

9 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Could jamming have been done from a laundry truck and trailer parked at an adjacent street corner?  Without affecting shooter-spotter frequencies?

David,

I know you can listen in on a certain frequency. Ham radio operators do it all the time.

But I don't know what it would take to broadcast on a certain frequency. You'd be locked out, wouldn't you? Otherwise airlines, etc. would be disrupted all the time.

I just don't have the technical expertise...

Here's DVP's link to the audio transmissions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KuCx4w_uG78jMwpJXpFe6zxACFv4Iy6n/view

Between 12:30 and 12: 35, does that sound like jamming to you, or is it just an open stuck mike?

Steve Thomas

9 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

David,

I know you can listen in on a certain frequency. Ham radio operators do it all the time.

But I don't know what it would take to broadcast on a certain frequency. You'd be locked out, wouldn't you? Otherwise airlines, etc. would be disrupted all the time.

I just don't have the technical expertise...

Here's DVP's link to the audio transmissions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KuCx4w_uG78jMwpJXpFe6zxACFv4Iy6n/view

Between 12:30 and 12: 35, does that sound like jamming to you, or is it just an open stuck mike?

Steve Thomas

I'll listen when I have more time, Steve, but I've never heard actual radio jamming, of any historical period.

From what little I know, one type of jamming would be to broadcast a particular sound wave (or something like white noise) over a  frequency or set of frequencies, so that no other signal could be heard.  This could prove selective if someone's receiver entered a zone where the imposed sound wave was blocked intermittently, allowing the expected communication to break through - similar to when your car radio momentarily picks up and drops other stations than the one you wanted.

I'm sure people who served in military radio communications are a better source than I.

Edited by David Andrews

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, Larry Hancock said:

Steve, you would need a very high powered transmitter, and I think the point is  you would have to jam it with some with of noise, even if it were white noise...you could not simply damp it, you have to override with another transmission.  Also, I think there has been much talk of cross talk, transmissions from one of the police channels to the other, as a possible explanation.  Anyway, actually jamming the police transmissions would surely be a dead give away of a serious conspiracy as I think that would be quite obvious. 

Mr Hancock, I recently used a link to your JFk Lancer presentation (actualy about something Bill Simpich said) to start a thread on this forum. The thread was a dismal failure and got hijacked, but it is relevant to this thread. Listening to the alleged 'Hold' crosstalk, one of the sentences sounds incredibly suspicious, along the lines of 'stop the limo, we're gonna do it'. I had hoped you might comment on the previous thread as to whether there might be conspirators using the recorded Police frequencies.

Hi Eddy,  I did recently comment on Steve's thread about possible jamming on the police frequencies - which I don't see happening since it would be really obvious, at a minimum static at an amplitude two to three times the volume of the regular police transmissions since it would have to totally override them.  I'll go back and look at the other thread, while I certainly can see the possibility of  radio communication in play among the tactical team I think it would be much more in the nature of very local "walkie talkie" class communications. Its more likely you have visual signaling among a tactical team, such as the fellow raising and lowering his arm on main street.  In any event,  I'm not sure I see the advantage of working with equipment which would intrude on police frequencies...what do you think would be the purpose?

•  

Two recent threads have deserved comparison . Listen to what Bill Simpich says starting from 56.55 in the Lancer presentation :

Jorma Jormakka, in his thread on the acoustic evidence argues that the supposedly damning crosstalk (specifically the word 'Hold' heard on both radio channels recorded) has been erroneously matched. Meaning the argument that the shot noises occur at the wrong time to be shots, may have been successfully rebutted by Jorma. What this thread is about is what Jorma believes he hears on one of the channels:

"Hold it up right there, we´re gonna do it, I, I got it,……, you got it."

Thankyou for replying. Above was my initial post in the thread I mentioned. My answer to your question on intrusion is that perhaps 'intrusion' is not the word I would use. Is it possible the Police frequency was used, not intruded upon.