The Education Forum

How Robert Kennedy’s Assassination Changed American Politics

Kind of superficial, but that actually is not bad for the NY Times.

Although I wish they had included Malcolm X in there also.

That picture of those kids with that sign and flag on the railroad tracks.  That always gets me.

And to think, it went on for over 200 miles.  

The end of an era.

Edited by James DiEugenio

5 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Kind of superficial, but that actually is not bad for the NY Times.

Although I wish they had included Malcolm X in there also.

That picture of those kids with that sign and flag on the railroad tracks.  That always gets me.

And to think, it went on for over 200 miles.  

The end of an era.

I saw the photo exhibit at MOMA SF, which I think is still up, showing the incredible shots along the way to the RFK funeral.

Here is a film of it.  The shot at 2:27 is really memorable and has  symbolism to it that no one realized at the time.

This is what Paul means:

https://www.sfmoma.org/exhibition/train/

11 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Here is a film of it.  The shot at 2:27 is really memorable and has  symbolism to it that no one realized at the time.

I remember watching the film some years ago. Left me with so much sadness. And I'm not American.

almost immediately, i had problems with this: "Sirhan Sirhan’s bullets not only demolished the hope for a savior candidate who would unite a party so fractured that its incumbent, President Lyndon B. Johnson, had decided not to seek re-election."

even if he had lived to win the election the powers of the presidency were no guarantee that he would have not been assassinated in office. after all, they hadn't done his brother much good. having lived through that period of american history, i find the what ifs to be useless. you know kind of like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer; it feels so good when you stop. xxxxty as it is, this is the hand we were dealt and it's up to use to honor memories by doing the best we can with it.