The Education Forum

Photo of Day inspecting rifle

I just noticed this photo in the Corbis files:

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/U1402594-9/examining-the-murder-weapon?popup=1

Does anyone know who took this? And if there are other pictures of Lt. Day working on the rifle?

Corbis says this photo was taken on 11-23-63, but the rifle was in Washington on 11-23, and Day supposedly wasn't working on 11-23.

And it couldn't have been taken at a later date. While the rifle was returned to Dallas on 11-24, Day swore he never took it out of its crate.

This means it was taken on 11-22, quite possibly within minutes of Day's "finding" the palm print.

Does anyone know anything more about this photo? Or possess a top quality version they would like to share?

Corbis says this photo was taken on 11-23-63, but the rifle was in Washington on 11-23, and Day supposedly wasn't working on 11-23.

And it couldn't have been taken at a later date. While the rifle was returned to Dallas on 11-24, Day swore he never took it out of its crate.

This means it was taken on 11-22, quite possibly within minutes of Day's "finding" the palm print.

The palm print wasn't found on 11-22, was it? I was always under the impression that the palm print was found after the rifle came back from Washington and after Oswald died.

Apologies in advance if I've got this wrong or I've misunderstood.

Martin

Pat

How could Braden describe the rifle thus :-

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=19906&relPageId=54

When the rifle shown has the leather pistol strap ?.

Were the backyard photos available to him?.

Ian

Allen scans LARGE

Credit: Jack White

Click on images to view FULL SIZE

pojfkwhiteslides04053.jpg

pojfkwhiteslides04050.jpg

Thanks Robin

That's not string like is it?.

Ian

The palm print wasn't found on 11-22, was it? I was always under the impression that the palm print was found after the rifle came back from Washington and after Oswald died.

Apologies in advance if I've got this wrong or I've misunderstood.

Martin

Martin,

I think Pat will know the full details and history concerning the palm print better than I off the top of my head, but I believe Day claimed he removed the print prior to the FBI taking the rifle to Washington and this is why they found nothing when they perfomed their tests on it.

FWIW

That's essentially correct. I did a LOT of work on the DPD's study of the rifle a few years back, and found a lot of anomalies, but never fully decided if the print was legit or not. The one thing I can say for sure is that a lot of people lied. One BIG one that comes to mind has to do with the print. Day testified that he found the print on the night of the 22nd, before handing the rifle off to the FBI. He said he'd assumed there'd been enough print left on the rifle after his lift for them to study. The FBI's expert, however, not only failed to notice the existence of a legible print on the barrel he failed to notice the existence of a faded print. The whole thing smelled a bit fishy, even to the WC's Liebeler, who asked the FBI to investigate further.. When asked to sign an affidavit regarding his discovery of the palm print, in September, 1964, just days before the WC's report was to be published, moreover, Day refused. In the FBI's report on the investigation pushed on them by Liebeler, Day said he showed the print to no one on the 22nd and never did a thorough comparison of the print or the rifle with Oswald's prints before being asked by the WC to do so.

Well, this is where it gets really fishy. When First Day Evidence--a book written by the nephew of a DPD crime lab employee, with much help from his uncle and his fellow crime lab employees-- was published in the '90's, it claimed that the palm print was ID'ed as Oswald's on the night of the shooting, and that a number of crime lab employees were aware of the lift. Well, either THEY were lying to help support Day, and hide the strange circumstances of his taking a lift from the rifle and never studying it or giving it to the FBI until long after Oswald was dead, or HE had lied to the FBI when it was looking into the matter, for one reason or another...

Edited by Pat Speer

click on image:

Nice find, Robin. That one's slightly different. Any idea who the photographer was, and where these came from?

Humpf... Why didn't that photo show up in my post?

Edited by Pat Speer

click on image:

Nice find, Robin. That one's slightly different. Any idea who the photographer was, and where these came from?

Pat

If you are reffering to the photo's showing day outside the TSBD

They are William Allen photo's

and they came from Jack Whites archive

Edited by Robin Unger

click on image:

Pat

If you are reffering to the photo's showing day outside the TSBD

They are William Allen photo's

and they came from Jack Whites archive

I was referring to the photo you posted of Day working on the rifle. That's slightly different than the one I linked to. If we can identify the photographer, perhaps we can find other photos of Day at work on 11-22. I'm particularly interested in photos of him checking out the bag.

Pat:

Why would Day lie in 1963? I mean his reputation and the DPD were on the line. If he had corroboration why would he not produce it?

Also, according to the FBI liason, Day never mentioned any such print to him when he picked up the rifle to take it to Latona.

Further, Latona said there was no note or arrow on the rifle to indicate a print was lifted.

One last thing. When I talked to Tanenbaum about this, he said that Latona was the gold standard in the field at the time. He had authored pamphlets which everyone studied. And he had so many requests to testify in court that you were lucky if you got him.

The behavior of the DPD's crime lab in 1963 and afterward is highly questionable. Their own guidebook says that every piece of evidence was supposed to be logged in and that every item to be tested was to have a request form showing it was tested. And yet...when you check their files...there's a submission form for Bonnie Ray's Dr. Pepper bottle, but no record of Day's lift.

Yes, it's true. The OFFICIAL story is that Lt. Day lifted a print from the underside of the barrel on 11-22, and failed to tell the FBI about it or fill out a form or report indicating its existence, and then sent it in to the FBI for testing on, if I recall, the 27th, AFTER Oswald was long dead.

• 2 years later...

Allen scans LARGE

Click on images to view FULL SIZE

pojfkwhiteslides04053.jpg

pojfkwhiteslides04050.jpg

I'm not seeing ANY images that you post, Robin, in any of your posts, including this one...

[disregard]

Edited by Glenn Nall

Pat

Corbis are always mislabeling images.

I have seen many of there photo's that have been incorrectly identified.

Here is a nice LARGE view of Day holding up the rifle

Click on the image to view FULL SIZE

pojfkwhiteslides04056.jpg

and here...