The Education Forum

Bill Decker (James Eric Decker)

I know Chief Curry wrote a book, but have the other "higher ups" of the Dallas Police Department and/or the Sheriff's office spoken about their views of the investigation? Has Curry gone beyond his book?

I'm particularly interested in what they had to say once the FBI took over the investigation, and what they had to say once the Warren Report came out.

Do any Forum members have knowledge of what these men may have said?

I'm sure that since Will Fritz was "in charge" of the investigation in the beginning, he would have been able to give some valuable insight, in the years that followed...

The same goes for Decker too.

Thanks.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...s/DD/fde69.html

The following appears through the link above:

DECKER, JAMES ERIC (1898-1970). James Eric (Bill) Decker, law officer, son of James A. and Cecille T. Decker, was born in Dallas, Texas, on August 31, 1898. He grew up there and attended local schools before dropping out to find work. On July 21, 1916, he married Clyde Ryals of Galveston. Four years later he became an elevator operator at the Dallas County Courthouse. In 1923 Decker joined Constable Murray Fisher's staff as deputy constable. In 1933 he was named chief deputy to Sheriff Richard A. (Smoot) Schmid, a position he held until Schmid lost the 1946 election. Decker resigned from his position as chief deputy and ran for sheriff in 1948, when he defeated incumbent Steve Guthrie. Decker was sheriff until his death in 1970. Throughout his twenty-two years as sheriff he never faced another opponent in an election.

Decker became somewhat of a legend as a Texas lawman. His relentless pursuit of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parkerqqv and his capture of hardened criminal Raymond Hamilton focused national attention on him in the 1930s. Even greater attention was focused on Sheriff Decker in November 1963, when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas (see KENNEDY ASSASSINATION). During the trial of Jack Ruby,qv the killer of alleged Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald,qv five prisoners escaped from the county jail. Criticism was leveled on Dallas law enforcement as a result. Decker, in his typically calm manner, answered the critics, saying that "Dallas will survive all this, partner." As sheriff, he modernized and expanded the department and led his staff with a low-keyed dignity.

He and his wife had no children; they raised his cousin, William Tennant Decker. Decker received numerous awards during his lifetime but always maintained that he was no hero, just "a professional law-enforcement officer trying to do a job." He died on August 29, 1970, and was buried in Dallas.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Dallas Morning News, August 25, 26, 1970, November 17, 1978. Vertical Files, Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin.

Gerald D. Saxon

----------------------

Didn't know prisoners escaped during Ruby's trial. Does anyone know who they were? Anyone interesting in that group?

Bill Decker never talked publically...but the late Mary Ferrell

said her sources told her that HE WANTED TO MAKE A DEATHBED

CONFESSION, but that officers were stationed by his hospital

door to prevent visitors. The reason given was that he was

senile and making "incoherent ramblings" about the assassination.

Of course this is just hearsay.

Jack :D

Edited by Jack White

Antti,

I know Chief Curry wrote a book, but have the other "higher ups" of the Dallas Police Department and/or the Sheriff's office spoken about their views of the investigation?

There's an interesting story involving Audie Murphy, Decker, and a man named Gary Wean.

Gary Wean

Gary Wean and the JFK Assassination

Sun Nov 16 23:23:33 2003

Gary Wean and the JFK Assassination

http://home1.gte.net/res0k62m/cover-up.htm#wean

You can read an excerpt from Wean's book here:

http://www.apfn.net/messageboard/11-17-03/...ion.cgi.10.html

It's ummm... interesting.

Kind of interesting too that he identified the mysterious "John" as Senator John Tower.

Steve Thomas

• 5 years later...
Guest Tom Scully

Bill Decker never talked publically...but the late Mary Ferrell

said her sources told her that HE WANTED TO MAKE A DEATHBED

CONFESSION, but that officers were stationed by his hospital

door to prevent visitors. The reason given was that he was

senile and making "incoherent ramblings" about the assassination.

Of course this is just hearsay.

Jack :D

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=irrational%20condition%20may%20explain%20why%20Harry%20Weatherford%2C%20Clarence%20Jones%2C%20and%20Jack%20Faulkner%20were%20at%20his%20side&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=bks:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wp

Forgive my grief: a critical review of the Warren Commission ...: Volume 4

Penn Jones -

The list of those named as being present with Decker at the time of his death appears to have; significance. And the irrational condition may explain why Harry Weatherford, Clarence Jones, and Jack Faulkner were at his side when the ...

ANTII........

During the trial of Jack Ruby,qv the killer of alleged Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald,qv five prisoners escaped from the county jail. Criticism was leveled on Dallas law enforcement as a result.
THEY TOOK SHOWN ,A MRS.THORNTON AS A HOSTAGE..she was released and no one harmed and the prisoners all re captured..i seem to recall, this is all i can find now in a folder.that is clarence gregory holding the gun on her....B Edited by Bernice Moore

• 11 months later...

In his book, The Mafia Killed President Kennedy (1988) David E. Scheim claimed that "Decker was well-connected in the underworld... Decker maintained friendships with two notorious local hoodlums and served as a character reference for Joseph Civello when the Dallas Mafia boss applied for parole on a narcotics conviction."

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKdecker.htm

• 2 years later...

So Decker rises up from elevator operator to Sheriff and was Sheriff when he died, when cops were posted at his hospital door because he wanted to make a deathbed confession and was rambling incoherently about the Kennedy assassination. I know there is a book - a bio written and published about him, does anybody have it, and does it mention Audie Murphy?

BK

• 9 years later...

As the other thread currently up on Decker, Tower and Audie Murphy is about 90% posts by Wade Fraizer I was curious about any further info on Decker and went looking and found this.  I've wondered if he might be under reported on and under researched.  I'm aware of some interesting things I've read elsewhere I thought I'd share here.  First though, the Spartacus link provided above by John Simkin didn't work for me but I found it anyway.

Bill Decker (spartacus-educational.com)

One thing that is mentioned somewhere in what I've read in the last few hours I don't remember seeing before was about after Fritz first interview of Oswald, Decker summoned him to his office where they had a long private discussion.  It's interesting the Sheriff could summon the Capitan of the Police Homicide department.  Did Decker have info to share with Fritz about Oswald?  Advice on how to proceed, a warning?

Decker is mentioned multiple times in different respects in Blood Aces, the Wild Ride of Benny Binion by Doug Swanson.  Binion, known for the Horsehoe Casion in Las Vegas and establishing the world poker championship got his start in Dallas running first the policy wheel operations in the black parts of town, then the dice games in downtown hotels (H L Hunt would stop by after work, and sometimes stay till dawn).  Binion claimed Decker as a friend.

"Every human being in Dallas knew Bill Decker, even when he was a youngster." Binion remembered.  "His daddy had a saloon on Griffin street.  He tended bar standing on a box."  

"Smoot" Schmid, a bicycle dealer with no prior police experience was elected Sherrif of Dallas in 1932.  Chief deputy Bill Decker was the heart and brains of the sheriff's office."  "He liked me" Binion said.  "Me and him was just goddamn good friends."  "I never gave him a dollar, not one dollar."  "Bill Decker," Binion said, "had never bothered me in my operations no way, shape or form."

When Binion shot a competitor in his car pulled up to the sidewalk in front of a busy cafe multiple times, he turned himself in to Decker, was printed and photographed, bonded out and went home (later charges dropped,self-defense).  

When Binion's "newly crowned right-hand man" was gunned down by two men in his own driveway and Decker was notified, as he departed for the crime scene he stopped by and picked up Binny to assist in the investigation.  They figured out it was not a robbery, the guy still had $2400 on him.

A little more left, later or tomorrow.

On 8/2/2005 at 10:49 AM, Steve Thomas said:

It's ummm... interesting.

Kind of interesting too that he identified the mysterious "John" as Senator John Tower.

Steve Thomas

6 Degrees of separation...

Sam Cummings of INTERARMCO...  his sister marries John Tower

TheEvidenceIStheConspiracy-CAPA2019-usb-animationadded.jpg.daacf1b904ccb7ef6810a792e72f9fde.jpg

The biggest case in not just Dallas but U S history.  The president murdered in broad daylight in the street right outside your office.  "I can't remember."  Deckers's WC testimony is a little sketchy at points.

Mr. DECKER - The 24th--Sunday. Friday, after we had completed our investigation and gotten our files together to some extent, we then closed shop, shall we say, and went back into our routine work, and on Saturday arrival at our office we then again, I'm reasonably sure that was the day, we talked about moving Oswald but I just don't remember. That's one of those- 'things you just don't remember the date.

Testimony Of Sheriff J. E. (bill) Decker (jfk-assassination.net)

1 hour ago, David Josephs said:

TheEvidenceIStheConspiracy-CAPA2019-usb-animationadded.jpg.daacf1b904ccb7ef6810a792e72f9fde.jpg

Do you have a source on InterArmCo being a supplier to Klein’s Sporting Goods? 

3 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

Do you have a source on InterArmCo being a supplier to Klein’s Sporting Goods? 

On the slide the asterisk refers to J. Garret Underhill who was one of the people who felt "they" were after him after the assassination...

The real heart of the matter is that Klein's had nothing to do with that rifle which was last represented as being at Harborside in a carton... there is no evidence "that" rifle was ever removed - repaired or looked over by RUPP - or ever sent to Klein's.

On Nov 22/23 the FBI had info that N2766 and C2746 had been shipped to Klein's, not C2766.  There was nothing offered by closed loop, self-corroborating Scribor evidence in the form of a master invetory sheet which bore the number of a different order on it but was represented as THE 100 rifle order to Klein's.  Despite Feldsott saying the shipment was in June 1962.

This first image is priceless FBI mumbo jumbo...  FBI has info related to June 18, 1962 and that this rifle was received by Crescent from Italy.  Nothing proves it was shipped to Klein's...  nothing..

The second is the prewritten affidavit of Feldsott and the 2 FBI reports telling us exactly what the FBI knew those days and nights...  with that info there'd be no way to find that order left alone the shipment to Klein's... the FBI also mentions a March 1963 order with C2746 a 40" FC rifle yet we are not given evidence related to any March order, only a faked Feb order...

99489589_FBIreportfollowingFeldsottdiscussionon11-22-smaller.jpg.9b6fc1e9ad4030ae79d7b53d3262e4a4.jpg1690780697_Feldsottaffidavit-andRankinletterstatingitwasalreadywrittenandreadytobesigned.thumb.jpg.8ec936e7a43272d22f2ac2070fad444a.jpg1971495507_FBIreport11-22-63fromFeldsottinterview-howdotheyknowaboutJune181962shipmenttoKleinsofN2766-compositecopy.thumb.jpg.d5a7bf92e9e6c67dcc4fafec6f79de8a.jpg

This is the only item of evidence which ties C2766 to something at Klein's..  see order # 1259 at the top right versus the 1243 for 2-22-63...  the master of this list was available at Klein's but the FBI decided it wasn't necessary.  Nothing outside these 100 rifles was offered as evidence from Klein's... not a single one of the other 99 rifle serial numbers has ever been produced or seen on an existing rifle... nor do we know what Klein's shipped customers when they ordered the same thing they claim Oswald ordered... as that rifle was on ad for months and months prior to Nov 1963.

5a95acf8a97aa_Kleinsserielnumbervclist-WH_Vol21_0362a.thumb.gif.fc33feaed733b8403ff745c23cfbaaf1.gif

8 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Sam Cummings sister married to John Tower? Gosh …