The Education Forum

Who is/was this man?

In 1994 James Files provided this picture of himself and an unidentified man to Bob Vernon after conducting the on camera interview, that was later released as "Confession of an Assassin" by MPI Home video. James Files provided this picture after Vernon asked him if he still had pictures of himself from 1963.

Files went to his storage locker and pulled out the picture. Vernon was pleased and expressed his appreciation. He also asked: Who is the other guy? Files replied that he did not want to go in that. However Vernon asked why not and pressed on a little bit. Files eventually said something like: "Off the record, that's the guy who killed Tippit." I am not sure if Files intended Bob Vernon to publish that information on the Internet, frankly I don't think so, but since he has, the picture has been on the website www.jfkmurdersolved.com long before I came on the scene, and long before I had ever heard of James Files. But naturally the identity of this mystery man has intrigued me for years, ever since I first saw it. Also, since the picture shows James Files and a real man, I wondered why the man, or any of his relatives or friends, have never come forward to deny the allegation. Surely there must have been people who have recognized him, if not the man himself. And if he would not be the man who killed officer Tippit, you would expect people to come forward to deny the allegation, especially if it could be easily proven that James Files wasn't telling the truth. I have always thought that this circumstance alone adds weight to the veracity of James Files.

I have cracked my brains for years on who it could be. I have compiled lists of candidates, mob guys, undercover agents, cuban exiles, etcetera, most of which I could cancel out quickly because there are known pictures of most candidates and they did not resemble the man in the picture. I have asked around, and was sent on some wild goose chases, false leads and dead end roads.

Based on the information from James Files, http://jfkmurdersolved.com/tip.htm , we are looking for a tall caucasian man that

- was born and raised in America, and is maybe still alive.

- was from Chicago, as he was an acquaintance of James Files.

- was 25 to 35 years of age in 1963 (now 70 to 80 years of age).

- has no widely known connection to the Kennedy assassination.

- was in Dallas 11/22/1963

- was probably not called for the Warren Commision or the House Select Committee on Assassinations.

- was an undercover intelligence agent.

- worked for David Atlee Phillips.

- knew Lee Harvey Oswald, otherwise he could not have been sent to kill him.

- may have had a similar training as Lee Harvey Oswald

FilesX.JPG

Edited by Wim Dankbaar

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Dale Myers of http://jdtippit.com/ knows? :lol:

quick question: any idea the whereabouts of Bob Vernon? I lost contact with him 45 days after Hurricane Katrina.... haven't heard anything (anywhere) about him since....Appreciate it!

David Healy

You mean he isn't trying to sell a Huricane Katrina web site?

Bob Vernon is the P. T. Barnum of JFK researchers, a real circus huckster and showman, comeplete with three rings and clowns.

BK

Wim,

I do not know if this guy is Ronco or not. I was pointing out that there are some similarities in appearance.

I also do not know much about Ronco (including whether or not he is alive).

He was somewhat of a strange bird. Many rumors were floating around just after the assassination but what I can tell you is that he dated Beverly Oliver during the summer of 1963.

If anyone is in contact with her these days, maybe they can ask about Ronco?

James

Edited by James Richards

In 1994 James Files provided this picture of himself and an unidentified man to Bob Vernon after conducting the on camera interview, that was later released as "Confession of an Assassin" by MPI Home video. James Files provided this picture after Vernon asked him if he still had pictures of himself from 1963.

Files went to his storage locker and pulled out the picture. Vernon was pleased and expressed his appreciation. He also asked: Who is the other guy? Files replied that he did not want to go in that. However Vernon asked why not and pressed on a little bit. Files eventually said something like: "Off the record, that's the guy who killed Tippit." I am not sure if Files intended Bob Vernon to publish that information on the Internet, frankly I don't think so, but since he has, the picture has been on the website www.jfkmurdersolved.com long before I came on the scene, and long before I had ever heard of James Files. But naturally the identity of this mystery man has intrigued me for years, ever since I first saw it. Also, since the picture shows James Files and a real man, I wondered why the man, or any of his relatives or friends, have never come forward to deny the allegation. Surely there must have been people who have recognized him, if not the man himself. And if he would not be the man who killed officer Tippit, you would expect people to come forward to deny the allegation, especially if it could be easily proven that James Files wasn't telling the truth. I have always thought that this circumstance alone adds weight to the veracity of James Files.

I have cracked my brains for years on who it could be. I have compiled lists of candidates, mob guys, undercover agents, cuban exiles, etcetera, most of which I could cancel out quickly because there are known pictures of most candidates and they did not resemble the man in the picture. I have asked around, and was sent on some wild goose chases, false leads and dead end roads.

Based on the information from James Files, http://jfkmurdersolved.com/tip.htm , we are looking for a tall caucasian man that

- was born and raised in America, and is maybe still alive.

- was from Chicago, as he was an acquaintance of James Files.

- was 25 to 35 years of age in 1963 (now 70 to 80 years of age).

- has no widely known connection to the Kennedy assassination.

- was in Dallas 11/22/1963

- was probably not called for the Warren Commision or the House Select Committee on Assassinations.

- was an undercover intelligence agent.

- worked for David Atlee Phillips.

- knew Lee Harvey Oswald, otherwise he could not have been sent to kill him.

- may have had a similar training as Lee Harvey Oswald

FilesX.JPG

FWIW,

Seems to be missing a front tooth and to have really bad teeth. See enlarged photo in Duncan's post #10, too.

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

Wim,

I do not know if this guy is Ronco or not. I was pointing out that there are some similarities in appearance.

I also do not know much about Ronco (including whether or not he is alive).

He was somewhat of a strange bird. Many rumors were floating around just after the assassination but what I can tell you is that he dated Beverly Oliver during the summer of 1963.

If anyone is in contact with her these days, maybe they can ask about Ronco?

James

James...I contacted Beverly about this photo...and she is astonished that anyone

has one of her PERSONAL photos. How did someone get it?

Here is part of her reply to me:

"Yes, this is a picture of Larry that I took in the Kodak Store in Six Flags. It would have been the summer of 1962. His name is Lawrence Taylor Ronco Jr., his wife's name was Sally and at that time he had a little boy around 2-3 whose name was Scott. I do not know what happened to him but I was told he committed suicide in late 1964. That is all I know. I wonder where anyone got this picture???? Bev."

That is a good question. Were Beverly and Larry under surveillance in the 60s?

How did a personal snapshot a teenager took of a co-worker at an amusement

park end up in intelligence files? Was Ronco being used by someone to recruit

a pretty minor to take some photos? (They both were employed by Kodak.)

Jack

Jack,

To state the obvious, I am not going to offer who my sources are but I am now convinced that Ronco is not the guy in Wim's photo.

What I can tell you is that there was more to Ronco than meets the eye. Whether he found himself mixed up with peripheral events surrounding JFK's death, I do not know. The trail went cold a long time ago and information is extrememly difficult to come by.

FWIW.

James

Jack,

To state the obvious, I am not going to offer who my sources are but I am now convinced that Ronco is not the guy in Wim's photo.

What I can tell you is that there was more to Ronco than meets the eye. Whether he found himself mixed up with peripheral events surrounding JFK's death, I do not know. The trail went cold a long time ago and information is extrememly difficult to come by.

FWIW.

James

Did you find Beverly's information helpful and or interesting? Does it fit

with what you know about Ronco and the photo of him?

Jack

Here's the question that has always intrigued me, brought to the fore by this thread and redoubled.

Here we've got a guy - Files - who's confessed to killing Kennedy, who alleges in turn that another man who appears in a photo with Files (I can't imagine how utterly stupid that must've would've been if Files had been apprehended) is a cop-killer. While certainly a dead bird in the hand is worth at least one living in a bush, why is nobody interested in this man?

Should we believe that DPD is content to believe that they got their man, and - even if this guy was only an accomplice - they are likewise content to let him walk free and unhindered? Nobody on DPD today was serving then and probably didn't know JD, but cripes, the man's grandson is now a Dallas cop and even he doesn't care? Not even a little tiny bit interested?

It seems reasonably clear that Files has some form of immunity from death or prosecution, if only because he could have done such a thing as "Confession of an Assassin" and remain uncharged. Nobody he's saying was behind the killing - a Mob hit, it would seem ... and they therefore must've been who was behind Files' own compensation for his part in the deed - even seems to lose sleep over Files' continued existence. Is it that "omerta" doesn't apply because he's not Sicilian? Not even Italian?

It would seem, then, that someone would be interested in nailing the guy who killed Tippit, an innocent cop who just happened to pull over the wrong guy (which seems fairly close to the truth, but not in this light). Interested enough, anyway, to at least sweat Files over his identity. Has this occurred?

I could perhaps understand that the FBI probably wouldn't get involved in this, a local cop-killing not being within their jurisdiction (tho' the question of it maybe being a "hate crime" or some other new form of aggravation could leverage that), but what's up with DPD? Don't any of the cops even care?

There is no statute of limitations on murder, and one jurisdiction - even within state and federal prisions - will usually cooperate with another, at least to the extent of accompanying an out-of-towner to interview an unincarcerated suspect, and certainly to allowing said out-of-towners to interview their incarcerated prisoner. Has it happened?

Even ADA Bill Alexander has been quoted as saying he didn't think Oswald did it alone ... but nobody's interested. Why is that? At the very least, wouldn't Files suddenly find himself able to tell who it was after the guy is mysteriously beaten to death in his sleep by unknown assailants - presumably ticked off cops anyway - leaving Files with nothing and nobody to protect? Or is DPD simply happy to have had a hero that day, albeit a dead one?

Is it all just simply to perpetuate the great cover-up? "Ah, let him walk, we charged someone, and isn't that all that counts?" I just don't get it. Maybe someone could explain?