The Education Forum

The Elm/Houston crosswalk people in the Z cartoon...

Jack White

Altgens 5 and Zapruder 120 show different people in the Elm crosswalk at Houston.

This is clearly impossible. If you can identify one of the 20 persons in the Z frame

anywhere within the Altgens image, you will be awarded the Gerald Posner medal

of superiority. Find two of the same people and win a Bugliosi oak leaf cluster.

Jack

Craig's right, once you realise #20 is the policeman most (not all) of the people are easy to identify. #13 is the man with folded arms, # 12 is the older black youth, #11 is the younger black youth in the check shirt, 10# in short sleeves is the guy in Altgens standing behind the lady in a smart 2 piece suit, #8 is the lady in smart suit, #5 is lady clasping hands with white handbag held waist high,#4 is smart tall man in suit just visible in Altgens over policeman's shoulder, #3 is lady shielding eyes an holding coat. Once you realize the Altgens photo angle is all wrong all becomes clear and of course the crowd is looking in the direction of JFK. Sloppy work Jack, thank goodness Craig's here.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The behavior of the people in the alleged Altgens 5 photo is quite peculiar.

The president is a half block away, and yet most of the people are not

looking that direction.

Jack

Jack, its not fair to judge what these people were and were not looking at when the photo only captured a split second in time. And the President is a little further away than you seem to think IMO.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r25/123...tgensTowner.jpg

I vote for Towner's cop in the left side photo, as a match for Altgen's cop.

If not, where is this cop in Altgen's?

I'm using the corner of the Dal-Tex building as my guide.

chris

Nope, the cop in Altgens is standing in a direct line out from the stoplight, and is the figure seen in the upper right image in your comp. Its a perfect match to the standing cop in Zapruder.."20" in Jacks image.

To understand how screwy the perspective is in Altgens, draw line on the crosswalk marking near the foot of the cop back towards the curb ...and it leads directly to the stoplight post. If the person you have voted for is the cop in Altgens, the perspective line is impossible.

altgens.jpg

From "Altgens5" another oddity, seemingly meaningless. The number in the film margin seems

to be different in the two different contact* prints. This appears to be impossible if the number 9

was on the "original negative". There are other differences indicating different prints.

*It is possible that these are not contact prints, since is is possible to print 35mm negs in a glass

negative carrier. The image on the right seems too sharp to have been enlarged from a contact.

This seeming anomaly may be meaningless or have an explanation, but it is an odd oddity.

Jack

In the initial posting on this thread I presented a comparison of "Altgens5" and a Zapruder frame

asking if anyone could match any of the spectators in the Elm crosswalk on Houston. I specified

that the views were approximately 90 degrees apart and that the differing viewpoints made

locations difficult. I said that I could find no spectators who matched. Since then I have found

several possible matches (see graphic).

I made one basic mistake. I mistook the white line by the policeman's feet as a car lane stripe on

Elm. Further study shows it is the PEDESTRIAN CROSSWALK LINE on Houston, a difference of

at least 25 feet. This proves important in locating the policeman, which I had believed was not

shown in Zapruder. Instead of his being in the middle of Elm, as I had thought, it moves him

to the pedestrian crosswalk area on Houston; as some have pointed out, it appears that he

is man #20 on my Zapruder image.

My previous graphic was NOT a study...just a comparison of two images asking whether

anyone could match up any persons in the two images. There were only a few responses, so

I decided to undertake a person by person analysis. Making the policeman man #20 and

counting to the north person by person, #13 is a man with his arms folded across his chest.

Altgens has such a man, so that is a possible match. Farther north, #8 is a woman in white

sox. Just behind the policeman in Altgens is a woman in white sox, another likely match.

Number 5 is a lady in a long black coat, who also may be behind the cop in Altgens. Tall man

#4 is possibly behind the cop also, but not enough to be sure.

Even more troublesome are people seen in Altgens who should be in Zapruder but are not seen.

Starting at left, just one person north of the lady in the black coat, is a soldier with four brass

buttons, service ribbons and corporal's stripes. He and the two women with him should be in

Zapruder. Zapruder's #6 man is a freak with FOUR LEGS, two of them suspended in air, but he

is not seen in Altlgens. Altgen's little black boy is not seen in Zapruder unless he is #11. The #10

man in short sleeve light shirt and dark pants is not seen, though a man with short sleeves and

light pants is seen in Altgens. A black man in white shirt and dark pants, #12, is beside the man

with folded arms but not seen in Altgens. Number 14 is a tall man in white shirt, not seen in

Alltgens. Number 17 is a woman in a long red dress standing next to a shorter woman in a

white blouse, and number 18, a small boy; this group is not in Altgens. The cop, #20, in Altgens

is south of the crosswalk, but in Altgens is north of the crosswalk.

I believe these discrepancies prove that both images cannot be genuine, since they depict

the same moment in time within a few seconds.

Please tell me if any of these observations are incorrect.

Jack

MY IMAGE IS NOT POSTING. I HAVE TRIED THREE TIMES. IT WAS BARELY OVERSIZE AND

I REDUCED AND TRIED AGAIN. IT IS MUCH SMALLER THAN SOME POSTED BY OTHERS.

I WILL TRY POSTING IT AGAIN AS A SEPARATE POSTING.

Edited by Jack White

TRYING AGAIN. IMAGE ONLY.

FAILED AGAIN...MY COMPUTER SAYS THE IMAGE IS IMAGE IS 2.0 MB.

WHY IS IT NOT POSTING?

TRYING AGAIN...REDUCED THE IMAGE TO 1.99 MB. REDUCING THE IMAGE

MAKES ALL THEY TYPE LOOK BAD.

FAILED AGAIN. THIS IMAGE IS MUCH SMALLER THAN THOSE POSTED BY

OTHERS IN OTHER THREADS. WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHY IT IS NOT

POSTING.

JACK

Edited by Jack White

TRYING AGAIN. IMAGE ONLY.

FAILED AGAIN...MY COMPUTER SAYS THE IMAGE IS IMAGE IS 2.0 MB.

WHY IS IT NOT POSTING?

TRYING AGAIN...REDUCED THE IMAGE TO 1.99 MB. REDUCING THE IMAGE

MAKES ALL THEY TYPE LOOK BAD.

FAILED AGAIN. THIS IMAGE IS MUCH SMALLER THAN THOSE POSTED BY

OTHERS IN OTHER THREADS. WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHY IT IS NOT

POSTING.

JACK

2mb is pretty big image to post as an attachment. Try using a proxy such as

www.photobucket.com

Create an account, upload your file, and after upload click in the img selection in your pbucket folder. This copies the web address of your image. Fimally do a paste to put this image link in your ed forum posting.

Not seeing all of the people from Altgens to Zapurder does not seem strange at all. People have legs and feet and they sometimes move....

In the initial posting on this thread I presented a comparison of "Altgens5" and a Zapruder frame

asking if anyone could match any of the spectators in the Elm crosswalk on Houston. I specified

that the views were approximately 90 degrees apart and that the differing viewpoints made

locations difficult. I said that I could find no spectators who matched. Since then I have found

several possible matches (see graphic).

I made one basic mistake. I mistook the white line by the policeman's feet as a car lane stripe on

Elm. Further study shows it is the PEDESTRIAN CROSSWALK LINE on Houston, a difference of

at least 25 feet. This proves important in locating the policeman, which I had believed was not

shown in Zapruder. Instead of his being in the middle of Elm, as I had thought, it moves him

to the pedestrian crosswalk area on Houston; as some have pointed out, it appears that he

is man #20 on my Zapruder image.

My previous graphic was NOT a study...just a comparison of two images asking whether

anyone could match up any persons in the two images. There were only a few responses, so

I decided to undertake a person by person analysis. Making the policeman man #20 and

counting to the north person by person, #13 is a man with his arms folded across his chest.

Altgens has such a man, so that is a possible match. Farther north, #8 is a woman in white

sox. Just behind the policeman in Altgens is a woman in white sox, another likely match.

Number 5 is a lady in a long black coat, who also may be behind the cop in Altgens. Tall man

#4 is possibly behind the cop also, but not enough to be sure.

Even more troublesome are people seen in Altgens who should be in Zapruder but are not seen.

Starting at left, just one person north of the lady in the black coat, is a soldier with four brass

buttons, service ribbons and corporal's stripes. He and the two women with him should be in

Zapruder. Zapruder's #6 man is a freak with FOUR LEGS, two of them suspended in air, but he

is not seen in Altlgens. Altgen's little black boy is not seen in Zapruder unless he is #11. The #10

man in short sleeve light shirt and dark pants is not seen, though a man with short sleeves and

light pants is seen in Altgens. A black man in white shirt and dark pants, #12, is beside the man

with folded arms but not seen in Altgens. Number 14 is a tall man in white shirt, not seen in

Alltgens. Number 17 is a woman in a long red dress standing next to a shorter woman in a

white blouse, and number 18, a small boy; this group is not in Altgens. The cop, #20, in Altgens

is south of the crosswalk, but in Altgens is north of the crosswalk.

I believe these discrepancies prove that both images cannot be genuine, since they depict

the same moment in time within a few seconds.

Please tell me if any of these observations are incorrect.

Jack

MY IMAGE IS NOT POSTING. I HAVE TRIED THREE TIMES. IT WAS BARELY OVERSIZE AND

I REDUCED AND TRIED AGAIN. IT IS MUCH SMALLER THAN SOME POSTED BY OTHERS.

I WILL TRY POSTING IT AGAIN AS A SEPARATE POSTING.

Jack...........

B.......

Thanks, Bernice. I tried to attach it five times without success.

I even tried reducing it and it would not post. Wonder what I

did wrong?

Jack :blink:

I believe the little black boy IS No (11)

Thanks, Robin...I believe you are correct after seeing it much lighter. And I think I

may see the black man with him (12) in the white shirt hidden behind the man with the

folded arms in Altgens. In your lightened version I do not see the white cap on the "cop".

The most prominent Zap "missing person" is the army man with the four brass buttons,

who is the second person north of the number 5 lady in the long black coat. I don't

know what to make of number 6 man in my frame, who appears to have two sets of

legs, but in your frame does not. I think tallman 4 is behind the cop's hat, but the

lady with him is unseen in Altgens. Ladies 1 and 2 are not seen. South of the folded arms

man (13) in Altgens are 10 women (8 white, 2 black) who have NO COUNTERPARTS

IN ZAPRUDER. Instead there is a tall man in a white shirt and a thin black man in their

place. The small child (18) is not seen anywhere. Another oddity is that the people in

Zapruder only seem to be one row deep side by side, while Altgens seems to show

them several rows deep.

Can you identify any others?

Jack