The Education Forum

Erykah Badu

I dunno, it's an artistic statement/philosophy that also highlights an event. Possibly one could say there's an element of opportunism. Interesting to see DP itself afa the camera shows.

The only shock value imo is that violence and war is freely happening all the time and is visible anywhere anytime, whereas someone walking nude (not really, it's blocked out) is somehow bad.

"Let's take a liberal view of the arts - as President Kennedy would have done."

David,

I agree, and it is obvious that the band, XTC, finds problems in the Warren Report, even using the "path" of the magic bullet, as well as multiple shooters to make their point....

By the same token, we should look at Ms. Badu's statement (as well as actions) in the same spirit of liberalism. IMO

"I tied it in a way that compared the assassination to the character assassination one would go through after showing his or her self completely," she said. "That's exactly the action I wanted to display."

Edited by Terry Adams

As deceptively poppy as it is, and as satirical of JFK, I often drop a tear when XTC's "Peter Pumpkinhead" comes on the radio. I think Kennedy would have liked it, knowing that he was willing to suffer the cause of such a tribute.

"Peter Pumpkinhead came to town

Spreading wisdom and cash around

Fed the starving and housed the poor

Showed the Vatican what gold's for

"But he made too many enemies

Of the people who would keep us on our knees

Hooray for Peter Pumpkin -

Who'll pray for Peter Pumpkinhead?

"Peter Pumpkinhead pulled them all

Emptied churches and shopping malls

Where he spoke, it would raise the roof

Peter Pumpkinhead told the truth

"But he made too many enemies...

"Peter Pumpkinhead put to shame

Governments who would slur his name

Plots and sex scandals failed outright

Peter merely said, 'Any kind of love is alright'

"Peter Pumpkinhead was too good

Had him nailed to a chunk of wood

He died grinning on live TV

Hanging there, he looked a lot like you -

And an awful lot like me!

"Hooray for Peter Pumpkin -

Who'll pray for Peter Pumpkin -

Hooray for Peter Pumpkinhead

Oh my, oh my, oh! Don't it make you want to cry, oh?"

(Written by Andy Partridge)

As for Erykah Badu...he and Jackie are fighting over it now.

Edited by David Andrews

I'm sure they have more important things to do

• 1 month later...

I see that Gary Mack was quick to say that it had nothing to do with him.

The important point was why she was shot from behind? :blink:

John, that really is funny.

I had to bring it back just to laugh at that double entendra again.

And now we have the Lee Harvey Oswald Band.

http://www.lab404.com/dreams/words/reviews/oswald.html

The Lee Harvey Oswald Band have no idea of what they're doing themselves -- 3/4 rhythms driving muffledly, steadily into oblivion; a dull, furry undercurrent of sound-mass like some prehistoric mastodon steadily vomiting red lava beneath a dying sun, cachinnaphonic shards of clumsily sporadic fenderblasts spunkily sprinkling the entire cake o' mud. The lyrics are fuzzy, probably sung through a bullhorn (a la Butthole Surfers). The singer sounds like a guitar. Hey, it's new. It's now. It's rockin'. We are out of the wilderness and into the promised land.

Edited by William Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

From monstersandcritcs.com

By Marissa Charles

Jun 1, 2010

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/n...have-no-regrets

Erykah Badu says she has 'no regrets' about her controversial assassination music video, saying: 'Human beings don't scare me'.

The 39-year-old singer caused outrage earlier this year after being filmed stripping in Dallas and pretending to be shot at the spot

where President John F Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

But in an interview with JET, Badu says: 'I have no regrets. Human beings don't scare me. Only my own lack of will scares me.'

The defiant mum-of-three says: 'I know what I did was a shocking thing.'

'But I don't think anyone has a right to go through life without being shocked or offended.'

'If you choose to watch the video, which was put on my website, you don't have to like it.'

'And if you don't like it, you don't have to remain silent about it. You can complain. You can protest it. You can make your own video.

But that's where your rights stop. You don't have the right to censor art or anyone else's opinion.'

Badu says the message of the video, which promoted her single Window Seat, is: 'To shed all that you don't agree with to evolve

into the person you were meant to be...'

'[Too many people] are afraid to go outside the core thinking of a group because they are afraid of being ostracised or criticised by the group.

They voluntarily censor themselves in order to fit into the group. And that's why we as a nation of human beings don't evolve.'

• 2 months later...

From monstersandcritcs.com

By Marissa Charles

Jun 1, 2010

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/n...have-no-regrets

Erykah Badu says she has 'no regrets' about her controversial assassination music video, saying: 'Human beings don't scare me'.

The 39-year-old singer caused outrage earlier this year after being filmed stripping in Dallas and pretending to be shot at the spot

where President John F Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

But in an interview with JET, Badu says: 'I have no regrets. Human beings don't scare me. Only my own lack of will scares me.'

The defiant mum-of-three says: 'I know what I did was a shocking thing.'

'But I don't think anyone has a right to go through life without being shocked or offended.'

'If you choose to watch the video, which was put on my website, you don't have to like it.'

'And if you don't like it, you don't have to remain silent about it. You can complain. You can protest it. You can make your own video.

But that's where your rights stop. You don't have the right to censor art or anyone else's opinion.'

Badu says the message of the video, which promoted her single Window Seat, is: 'To shed all that you don't agree with to evolve

into the person you were meant to be...'

'[Too many people] are afraid to go outside the core thinking of a group because they are afraid of being ostracised or criticised by the group.

They voluntarily censor themselves in order to fit into the group. And that's why we as a nation of human beings don't evolve.'

Badu pays $500 fine, gets probation for nudity at Kennedy assassination site:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-badubrief_17met.ART.State.Edition1.355ace9.html

Melbourne, Aug 17 (ANI): Singer Erykah Badu has been fined for walking naked in the area where President John F Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas.

According to myFOXdfw.com, Badu, 39, was sentenced to six months probation and also had to pay a 500-dollar fine.

Badu had shed her clothing on March 13 while recording a music video for her song ‘Window Seat’ at the Dealey Plaza where President Kennedy had been shot, and it ended with her being fatally shot in the head.

Dallas police said many people called to complain about the incident, but only one formal complaint was filed by a parent whose child saw Badu in the buff.

In April, the department officially charged Badu with disorderly conduct.

Badu, a graduate of Booker T Washington arts magnet school in downtown Dallas, has defended herself in the past against accusations that the video disrespected President Kennedy.

“His revolutionary thinking is my inspiration. My performance art has been grossly misinterpreted by many,” the Herald Sun quoted her as having said. (ANI)

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world-news/erykah-badu-fined-for-naked-stunt-at-jfk-assassination-site_100413649.html