The Education Forum

Officer Marrion Baker's mad dash for the.... Dal-Tex building?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom,

I don't believe so.

When Stetson man (foreground) turns his hat leftward, Truly (who I'm identifying as Truly) with his hat on, is revealed. Truly begins his turn toward the TSBD just as Baker passes him.

It doesn't matter to me whether it's Truly or not, this person forces Baker to veer off his original path. imo

chris

When Stetson man (foreground) turns his hat leftward, Truly (who I'm identifying as Truly) with his hat on, is revealed. Truly begins his turn toward the TSBD just as Baker passes him. ...this person forces Baker to veer off his original path. imo

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

Until viewing your GIF I had not noticed the unknown guy on the steps who turns around as Baker approaches. I thought he was the person you were referring to, which had me doubting that the guy in the hat was Truly as I had previously believed.

So we are both identifying the guy in the hat (that turns around as Baker passes) as Truly. I agree with you that Baker turns to his right in order to avoid Truly. Baker certainly could have continued to the TSBD steps, but from this film we can't tell where he goes after passing Truly.

BTW, I saved this BAKER3.GIF to my hard drive, planning to put an ellipse around Truly for identification, but for some reason, it produces an error when I try to play it. Any ideas as to why? I have saved many GIFs from this site in the past without any problems.

Tom

Edited by Tom Neal

Sandy,

That's a lot of nice technical talk in Post 82, but....

From strictly a layman's point-of-view, Baker's shadow hitting the curb and RISING onto that curb would most certainly indicate that Baker was GETTING CLOSER to that curb and sidewalk. Hence, his body was moving toward the Texas School Book Depository Building.

IMO, your analysis is a lot of wishful thinking (which is not supported by Marrion Baker's shadow).

So we are both identifying the guy in the hat (that turns around as Baker passes) as Truly. I agree with you that Baker turns to his right in order to avoid Truly. Baker certainly could have continuedarrow-10x10.png to the TSBD stepsarrow-10x10.png, but from this film we can't tell where he goes after passing Truly.

Tom

My sentiments exactly.

I'm not sure why the gif is giving you problems (maybe a photoarrow-10x10.png bucket conversion glitch).

See if this uploaded forum version makes any difference.

chris

post-5057-0-72030300-1461178575_thumb.gif

This video plays at a reduced speed making it easier to follow Baker:

CLICK this link and it should play...

Baker

If it doesn't; use Ray's link to Photobucket, and DOWNLOAD the MP4 file.

Tom

This version of Ray's video works a lot better for me. But are the frames supposed to be large at first and than pop down to a smaller size for the bulk of the video? If not, then I guess I have a codec problem on my PC.

Sandy,

That's a lot of nice technical talk in Post 82, but....

From strictly a layman's point-of-view, Baker's shadow hitting the curb and RISING onto that curb would most certainly indicate that Baker was GETTING CLOSER to that curb and sidewalk. Hence, his body was moving toward the Texas School Book Depository Building.

That is precisely what I told you, David. So we are in agreement. And in agreement with the blue line I drew on the GIF. There is no inconsistency here.

However, the video shows that this ~7-inch movement closer to the sidewalk occurs just as Baker passes behind Very Tall Man, and is completed before Baker begins his final step... the step that is roughly parallel to the sidewalk.

IMO, your analysis is a lot of wishful thinking (which is not supported by Marrion Baker's shadow).

If I can find the time, I'll put up a slower-running GIF to prove my point. In the meantime, anybody with means to single-step the GIF can see for themselves that what I'm saying is correct.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

This video plays at a reduced speed making it easier to follow Baker:

CLICK this link and it should play...

Baker

If it doesn't; use Ray's link to Photobucket, and DOWNLOAD the MP4 file.

Tom

This version of Ray's video works a lot better for me. But are the frames supposed to be large at first and than pop down to a smaller size for the bulk of the video? If not, then I guess I have a codec problem on my PC.

Nothing wrong with your codec, Sandy. It was my poor attempt at trying to steady the clip[.

I want to reiterate a point here. To anybody who still thinks Baker was initially headed toward the TSBD entrance.

Please look at the clip below. The blue line that I drew crosses through the points where Baker's feet touch the ground. Follow the video through to the end and see where the blue line is headed. It is headed to the RIGHT of the TSBD entrance.

I challenge anybody to show us a path, on the ground, connecting Baker's footsteps, that points in the direction of any part of the TSBD entrance. I don't think it can be done, which is why I don't believe Baker's destination was ever the TSBD entrance.

I realize that you will have to estimate the landing of some footsteps that are hidden behind other people. But no matter where you estimate, if your path leads to the TSBD entrance, I am confident I can prove your estimates are wrong.

BTW, the blue line in this video is BEFORE Baker began turning to his right.

Click to enlarge!

bakers_original_course_zps7s6rmd68.gif

Truth is, Baker was following the crosswalk, as shown here. He was on the far left side of the crosswalk, to be sure, and I think a little outside the crosswalk. But his direction was almost exactly that of the crosswalk. Which ends up on the right side of the TSBD entrance.

dealey_plaza_crosswalk_zps2feswg4w.jpg