The Education Forum

Getaway

Ron Bulman

How did they?  From the Texas School Book Depository,  the Grassy Knoll, maybe say the Dal-Tex building?  Given Oswald didn't shoot anybody, and, the assassination was planned, getting away was part of the plan.  Ever been to the back side of the TSBD or Dal-Tex?  No mention to my knowledge of anybody from the DPD rushing there after it either.  But there were a couple of reports of people rushing from the area.  North from there at the time on Houston or East on Pacific in a waiting car and gone from the chaos.  From the Grassy Knoll North along the west side of the TSBD  running after the last shot then East behind it, a minute?  From the 6th floor, run to the elevator, down it, out the back door.  A minute, maybe a little more?  A broom closet on the second floor of the Dal-Tex Building seen in the Altegns photo?

Somewhere in the mid to late 90's, before James Files said Nicoletti shot from Dal-Tex, I read Something about Someone saying yeah we just walked out the back, off the dock afterwards.  Within the next year or two I went back to Dealy Plaza, the TSBD and the back of the Dal-Tex building and thought yeah, this would be a natural for the getaway from multiple points.  Buried somewhere I still have pictures of the back of the TSBD (changed since then) and Dal-Tex.  

Maybe Jimmy Files studied a Mapsco in Prison and figured it out.

Dealey Plaza is really a perfect setup.  The landscaping, street plan, buildings, fences, rail yard and bridge, parking areas, etc., focus all shocked spectator attention on the Plaza interior and not on the getaway routes.  Anyone that didn't escape out the back could melt into the churning crowd out front.  We still don't know for certain how Oswald exited.

Note, however, that the films show that not only did the first civilian responders run up the rail bridge embankment, but also ran up the north pergola steps and behind the pergola.  Too late to catch anyone they had reason to suspect was back there - but why too late?

Imagine if they'd done the shooting on Main Street just ahead of the Plaza, from the tall buildings there.  It would have been possible for the shooters to escape, but think of all that the plotters would have given up.  Multiple concealed firing angles.  Acoustical confusion.  A sponsored assassin's lair setup in the TSBD, with patsy in place.  A sparse crowd compared to the throngs of witnesses on Main Street.  Easy vehicle access.  The opportunity for the limo to make a fast break for the hospital, thus removing crucial evidence from sight.  I think the last one was very important.

Edited by David Andrews

One of the most disgraceful aspects of this case is the fact that Sorrells was never examined as to why this route was approved, when, in fact, it offers a perfect scene for both the assassination and the escape of the hit teams.

You have high buildings to the rear, you have a barricade--the picket fence--to the front.  Therefore, this offers ample opportunity for the hit team to conceal themselves, and simultaneously, to line up a slowing down target undetected.

And avenues of escape: behind the GK you have the parking lot; behind the TSBD, you have another parking lot; same with Dal Tex, and even if there was a sniper from opposite the GK, the late Sherri Fiester's spot, there is a parking lot  there also.  There were witnesses to an escape also: with Bowers in the RR yard, and Worrell in the back of the TSBD, and Worrell had couple of corroborating witnesses who saw a guy in  brown jacket going out the back--probably the guy Baker really confronted in the his first day affidavit.

Edited by James DiEugenio

I've read Bowers told his preacher he did not tell of everything he saw in his statements or testimony.  Given the intimidation of other witnesses I wouldn't be surprised if he was told not to say anything more.  The unusual movement and flash of light that caught his eye behind the picket fence was probably more than the Warren Omission wanted to hear in the first place.

I don't think it was his preacher.  I think it was his supervisor.

He told him he saw one man toss something to another and the guy either threw it in the car or the trunk.

Debra Conway found that out and its in the Hoffman book by Casey Quinlan and Brian Edwards.

Edited by James DiEugenio

On 12/26/2017 at 12:47 AM, Ron Bulman said:

How did they?...    Ever been to the back side of the TSBD or Dal-Tex?  No mention to my knowledge of anybody from the DPD rushing there after it either. 

They didn't go out the back door. The Secret Service guys stationed back there told D.V. Harkness so.

*smile*

Steve Thomas