The Education Forum

Robert Parry dead

This is a real loss for anyone who cares about the quality of American journalism today.

Bob Parry was probably the finest journalist in America for about the last couple of decades.  He left the MSM when he realized just how bad and compromised they had become.  And he was one of the staunchest backers of the late Gary Webb in his battle to expose the CIA role in drug running in Central America in the late nineties.  To list all the stories this guy broke going back to the late seventies would be repetitive, since they are in the article that Andrew attached, which I advise everyone to read.

Bob's Consortium News  was one of the very few news forums  that allowed writers to address the JFK case as it if was not solved and was open to debate. I will be forever grateful to him for that since it allowed writers like myself and Ray McGovern to address that issue.

Since about the advent of Reagan, it has not been easy to be an honest journalist in America, what with the ascendancy of the neo cons in both political parties, and in the journalistic ranks. Bob decided that if he wanted to be honest and independent, he had to leave the MSM and create his own site.  He did,  forging it out of essentially nothing but his retirement fund.  He was a real hero in a field where there really are not very many these days; which is why he won two prestigious awards in the last three years.  

To say he will be missed does not do justice to what he achieved. RIP

Edited by James DiEugenio

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Bob's Consortium News  was one of the very few news forums  that allowed writers to address the JFK case as it if was not solved and was open to debate. I will be forever grateful to him for that since it allowed writers like myself and Ray McGovern to address that issue.

Yes I agree with you.  And FWIW, I've encouraged Hargraves to take the Hardvey and Lee story to them and let them look at it as an independent review to getting it announced.  Looks like that's not happened since I recommended it several months ago.

I'm betting CN will fold since Parry was the heart and soul of that site.

Oliver Stone on the death of Bob Parry:

Robert Parry's death Saturday night leaves a giant hole in American journalism. To my mind, he exists now alongside I.F. Stone, Drew Pearson, George Seldes, Gary Webb, and others as seekers of truth at the steep price you seem to have to pay to follow your common sense and your integrity when they are in direct opposition to the tyranny of mainstream media conformity. Parry was in that mainstream at the Associated Press and Newsweek, and quit when he recognized how corrupt our reporting on the Pentagon's Central American wars had become. He went after Reagan's Iran-Contra scandal, which was far worse in my opinion than Watergate (and deliberately ignored BTW by Katharine Graham and her Washington Post; note how she's now being lionized in Spielberg's lame-brained "The Post").

Parry then made the connection to the corrupted election of 1980 when Reagan cynically and traitorously used the Iran hostages to get elected. Parry further investigated the Contra crack connection to the CIA in Central America, as well as the real story behind George H. W. Bush's hydra-headed role in this mess.

At Consortiumnews, the website he founded in 1995, he clarified the shoddy reporting on the 2000 election of Bush's son, George W. ('Dubya'), followed by his Administration's Iraq War lies. Parry also provided us with strong counter-narratives in crucial contemporary events such as Ukraine, Syria, the Magnistky Act, and 'Russiagate.' 

The truth, as Parry often said, is that without an honest history of our country we are lost in an Alice-in-Wonderland void of poor and uninformed leadership. Obama, who should've known better, believed these false narratives about Reagan and ended up victimized by them. Parry also frequently repeated his reports, which may have driven his enemies crazy, but was crucial, I believe, to understanding their complexity. As audiences, we're inundated with the surface of events but seem unable to interpret them correctly; with intelligent, common-sense repetition (not the continual Russia-bashing of NY Times and WaPo), we learn and remember. There's a critical need for Parry's Consortiumnews to continue as a foundation for progressive, independent journalism. I hope, as the years go, you'll follow and contribute to this legacy and come to appreciate its importance in our present condition.

Great picture Rob. 

That must have been from the eighties.  When he was at Newsweek.

"The people who did well in the news media were those who didn't write the big stories, who looked the other way, when history was happening in front of them, and went along consciously or just by cowardice with the deception of the American people."

I always thought of Dan Rather.

The amazing thing about Rather is that he still defends the 1967 CBS Special, even though that has now been exposed as being a set up job from the start.

This is how much he needs to prop up his self image.

And thanks to Bob Parry for printing that story.

https://consortiumnews.com/2016/04/22/how-cbs-news-aided-the-jfk-cover-up/

How about this quote from the late Bob Parry

"On one occasion in 1987, I was told that my story about the CIA funneling anti-Sandinista money through Nicaragua’s Catholic Church had been watered down because the story needed to be run past Mrs. Graham, and Henry Kissinger was her house guest that weekend,” Parry told FAIR in 2001. “Apparently, there was fear among the top editors that the story as written might cause some consternation.”

16 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Oliver Stone on the death of Bob Parry:

Robert Parry's death Saturday night leaves a giant hole in American journalism. To my mind, he exists now alongside I.F. Stone, Drew Pearson, George Seldes, Gary Webb, and others as seekers of truth at the steep price you seem to have to pay to follow your common sense and your integrity when they are in direct opposition to the tyranny of mainstream media conformity. Parry was in that mainstream at the Associated Press and Newsweek, and quit when he recognized how corrupt our reporting on the Pentagon's Central American wars had become. He went after Reagan's Iran-Contra scandal, which was far worse in my opinion than Watergate (and deliberately ignored BTW by Katharine Graham and her Washington Post; note how she's now being lionized in Spielberg's lame-brained "The Post").

Nothing to add. Really