The Education Forum

Clay Shaw news

Shaw did this more than once.  He would buy properties in the Quarter, renovate them and then sell them.

This was the last one.  He was really kind of good at it.  And he made some money doing it.  I saw this place from the outside on one of my visits to the New Orleans.  These properties, as you can see, have almost no land around them.

BTW, its wrong to say Shaw was the only guy prosecuted in the JFK case.  Garrison also tried and convicted Dean Andrews for perjury. 

The New Orleans establishment has such a huge denial problem with Shaw that its almost absurd.

For sure.

But Garrison never made that an issue while Shaw and his lawyers delayed his trial. 

Edited by James DiEugenio

6 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

The article is interesting because they state more than once that they took out Shaw's closets.  Hmm... wonder why?

J.K., I know the answer as do you Jim.

You brought it up.  What is the answer?

And I should say, Alford told me that he thought this was a mistake.

In his opinion, Garrison should have done all kinds of fingerprint and blood tests of the  B and D paraphernalia that Shaw had in those closets.

He said he was shocked by this stuff.  And he also said you could see the blood stains on the hooks.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Nice find, Cory.

"On the ceiling [beside the hooks] were bloody palm prints. Many hands had been suspended there, William Alford thought,  and he wondered whether anyone had died or been seriously injured in this room. ... 'Let's dust and lift those prints,' Alford said. Ivon refused. The boss didn't want to make Shaw's sexuality an issue." [From Joan Mellen's "A Farewell to Justice."]

I don't think I'd ever want to purchase a house once owned by Shaw. 

12 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

These properties, as you can see, have almost no land around them.

Interesting observation, Jim. 

Edited by Rob Couteau

11 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

And I should say, Alford told me that he thought this was a mistake.

In his opinion, Garrison should have done all kinds of fingerprint and blood tests of the  B and D paraphernalia that Shaw had in those closets.

He said he was shocked by this stuff.  And he also said you could see the blood stains on the hooks.

Very interesting.  He could have charged him first with other crimes, got a conviction and then linked him to JFK.  

11 hours ago, Rob Couteau said:

Nice find, Cory.

"On the ceiling [beside the hooks] were bloody palm prints. Many hands had been suspended there, William Alford thought,  and he wondered whether anyone had died or been seriously injured in this room. ... 'Let's dust and lift those prints,' Alford said. Ivon refused. The boss didn't want to make Shaw's sexuality an issue." [From Joan Mellen's "A Farewell to Justice."]

I don't think I'd ever want to purchase a house once owned by Shaw. 

Interesting observation, Jim. 

But was that a cover?  What if in reality it was used for interrogation and or torture?

Interesting speculation, Cory. I know there were witnesses / participants to his sexual S&M antics, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have also served another purpose. My memory is fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall a brief mention of the S&M activities of Shaw in the Oliver Stone film; is that right Jim?

On 3/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, James DiEugenio said:

For sure.

But Garrison never made that an issue while Shaw and his lawyers delayed his trial. 

Well, so much for Fred Littwin's thesis that Garrison was out to impugn the reputation of New Orleans' gay community.

11 hours ago, Rob Couteau said:

Interesting speculation, Cory. I know there were witnesses / participants to his sexual S&M antics, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have also served another purpose. My memory is fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall a brief mention of the S&M activities of Shaw in the Oliver Stone film; is that right Jim?

I'm not Jim and don't pretend to answer for him Rob but yes, the Mardi Gras scene progresses toward suggestive scenarios regarding things like hooks in the ceiling.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:36 PM, James DiEugenio said:

The New Orleans establishment has such a huge denial problem with Shaw that its almost absurd.

I was surprised that Clay Shaw was so connected to high society. He knew Tennessee Williams, and according to a Don Carpenter he knew CNN's Anderson Cooper's father Wyatt Cooper who of course was married to a Vanderbilt (sp?). And according to young male hustler in Toronto Clay Shaw used to go to London and hang around with Robin Drury the manager of Christine Keeler (sp?) of the Profumo scandal fame.  Clay Shaw was a real British aristocrat who dined regularly with Winston Churchill and according to the Daily Mall in February 1967  they reported that Clay Shaw had planned to move to London just before Jim Garrison put the pinch on him. 

When he died in 1974 poet and singer Rod McKuen paid to have his obituary published in a San Francisco newspaper.

"Clay Shaw was a gentleman and a gentle man. Alas, we are in all too short supply of men of his caliber. ... In his passing he was not the victim -- those of us remaining are, for it will be some time, if ever, that a man of his integrity comes into our lives again." -- Poet Rod McKuen, upon the 1974 death of Clay Shaw

I want to add this article from 2016, a blog. 

http://moniqueguild.com/2016/10/04/a-larger-than-life-mom-clay-shaw-tennessee-williams-katrina-had-nothing-on-she-and-ruby/

Here is this same woman, with the Clay Shaw blog talking about the rest of her life. She claims to be a futurist, didn't  Gordon Novel claim the same title late in his life?

http://moniqueguild.com/business-intuitive-futurist/

Edited by Jim Harwood