The Education Forum

Mark Zaid, JFK and Trump

James DiEugenio

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

It takes a long time to work thru the courts.

They impeached the SOB and effectively proved his guilt according to several GOP senators.

WTF more do you want?

How about defending Constitutionally mandated Congressional authority to hear from witnesses and examine documents? I think those are good ideas.

These are settled law and practices and wouldn't last long in court.

46 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

But I don't think Pelosi ever really wanted to do this.  I mean she did not even want to impeach W for starting a phony war.

And she obviously did not know how to play chess, she was playing checkers.

I'm sure her thinking was leave well enough alone, we'll get him at the election, but was forced into it by the caucus to some degree.

I'm still hopeful the recent developments recede and the literate electorate will make my day come November but I'm not as optimistic as I was. There's also Trump's tendency to do pratfalls that also come into play.

I wonder how the extra million voters in Florida is going these days? Given a chance, I'm sure the Dems can bungle that one too. I wish Bloomberg and Steyer would pool money and just pay off the debts the former felons have outstanding so they can vote. No republican can win without Florida. Fact.

50 minutes ago, Bob Ness said:

How about defending Constitutionally mandated Congressional authority to hear from witnesses and examine documents? I think those are good ideas.

These are settled law and practices and wouldn't last long in court.

They’re still waiting for a ruling on McGahn from last spring. Going thru the courts would have shelved impeachment.

The Republicans have made this clown King.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

But I don't think Pelosi ever really wanted to do this.  I mean she did not even want to impeach W for starting a phony war.

And she obviously did not know how to play chess, she was playing checkers.

Pelosi got Trump impeached because she’s the best political operator in the business.

She made sure the timing of the acquittal wouldn’t allow Trump to claim vindication in the State of the Union.

A master stroke.

11 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Trump topped himself.  He gave the Medal of Freedom award to Limbaugh during the SOTU.

He loves to do this kind of polarizing crap doesn't he?

Rush, the Magic Honkey-- the last person in America who deserves a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

But, then again, we should have expected nothing less from the Birther-in-Chief.

4 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Jimmy Dore (on Youtube) is kind of the every-man representative of the Democrat's base that is not aligned with the DNC Machine wing of the party.

He would be all-in for Sanders, or Tulsi, or a Sanders/Tulsi ticket. I think that "Jimmy Dore" wing of the party is very sizable and it looks like the DNC Machine is trying to piss them off with the Iowa counting mess.

I'm listening to his show as I type and I'm cracking up because they are making fun of the name of the Parent Company of the APP creator (Acronym Inc.), which is Shadow Inc. "Shady Inc." wasn't available? He says.

Re: Homophobes voting for Mayor Pete. 

Lyndsey Graham is a homosexual and its not a secret and he still got elected as a Republican in South Carolina, as about a Republican state that one could find.

Mayor Pete, on the other hand, is going to have a hard time with African American males. They are not going to crawl over broken glass to vote for the gay white kid.

Moreover, Trump did pretty well in 2016 in the African American Male demographic (relative to previous Republican candidates.) It was partially a function of little enthusiasm for Hillary, and record turnout/votes for Obama in earlier years. 

Trump is going to do very well with the African American voting block (particularly men) in 2020. Even those that do not actually Vote for Trump, they are not going to come out for a Warren or a Buttigieg like they did for Obama. All three, Warren, Buttigieg and Obama may have similar policy ideas, but Obama appealed on different levels. I did not vote for Obama in 2012, but I also didn't vote for Romney. That was the first election I didn't vote for the Republican since 1988. Obama had some sort of charisma that made him tolerable to a Republican like me, even though I rarely agreed with his policies. Trump is going to have the same effect on many Democrats, especially African AMericans.

This has a goodly amount of merit but there are other questions. Will the electorate tire of Trump's devisiveness? I think the center will. As Cliff said earlier, Bill's idiocy probably cost Gore the election and lead to a Republican majority in Congress.

A popular vote win is practically guaranteed IMO but we'll see if it's enough to win the college. Maybe, maybe not. One thing I'm confident in is the Dems ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

4 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Trump is going to have the same effect on many Democrats, especially African AMericans.

Herr Wheeler doesn’t know that Stacey Abrams is the odds-on favorite for Dem vice-prez.

The black lady from Georgia is a rock star. Bernie, Buttigieg, Biden or Bloomberg will pick her in a hot second.

10 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

They’re still waiting for a ruling on McGahn from last spring. Going thru the courts would have shelved impeachment.

The Republicans have made this clown King.

They could have continued with the court cases and impeached him anyway. THEN hold the articles and await rulings while investigating other issues. As we speak, Bill Barr is "continuing investigations" to hide testimony barred from public disclosure because of "ongoing matters".

That's how the big kids do it. Why not have news cycles every week and not abandon the witnesses who came forward by throwing a hail Mary?

As I've said before, I think there's a naive belief that commity will somehow return to the Republicans but it won't until it costs them. What has happened doesn't cost them at all,so far. That may not be true come November.

34 minutes ago, Bob Ness said:

They could have continued with the court cases and impeached him anyway. THEN hold the articles and await rulings while investigating other issues.

Await until after the election?

As we speak, Bill Barr is "continuing investigations" to hide testimony barred from public disclosure because of "ongoing matters".

That's how the big kids do it. Why not have news cycles every week and not abandon the witnesses who came forward by throwing a hail Mary?

There will be many news cycles ahead dominated by John Bolton and the slow leak of documents related to UkraineGate.  The issue isn’t going away.

As I've said before, I think there's a naive belief that commity will somehow return to the Republicans but it won't until it costs them. What has happened doesn't cost them at all,so far. That may not be true come November.

Meanwhile, the GOP Senators have their feckless refusal to call witnesses hanging over their heads. Pelosi knows what she’s doing.

Trump got a temporary bump in the polls, but just as Clinton’s post-trial poll bump faded quickly, so will Trump’s.  

The State of the Union screed suffered a 25% loss in broadcast news viewership.  How many will tune into Bolton if he appears before the House?

Edited by Cliff Varnell

2 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Await until after the election?

When it's convenient. She could claim legitimately the courts are holding things up so here ya go - or -Trump suffers defeat after defeat in court followed by damning testimony or claims of fifth. Either way he has to watch as Mulvaney or whoever rots in custody somewhere. These clowns have to appear at least. They can claim whatever from the chair.

As it is now the courts don't have to take Congress seriously which they would if Congress showed backbone. That's my point.

9 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

There will be many news cycles ahead dominated by John Bolton and the slow leak of documents related to UkraineGate.  The issue isn’t going away.

Nope it won't. But Pelosi could have controlled more than just House committees if she still had the articles in her hands awaiting further additions "pending court outcomes". She could have thrown the blame back on Trump, a legitimate argument, for the delay. Come fall, after the Dem's candidate is known, along comes the October not-so-surprising, rulings or not. McConnell's bluff about holding the vote without the articles was ridiculous to start with, but would have been killed if there were legitimate reasons such as litigation, which was initiated by Trump. Bolton and others may have come forward in the mean time. Game over.

The problem is she rushed the thing and blushed at a confrontation rather than turning it into an advantage, which was hers from the start.

32 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Meanwhile, the GOP Senators have their feckless refusal to call witnesses hanging over their heads. Pelosi knows what she’s doing.

Trump got a temporary bump in the polls, but just as Clinton’s post-trial poll bump faded quickly, so will Trump’s.

The problem is this will be soon forgotten, I'm afraid. Let's hope not. Pelosi IMO almost played it right but may have choked in the end. We'll see. I certainly respect her and could very well be wrong.

I think you're right about the fade - you just can't hide garbage around the house without it becoming known. Hopefully voters can smell it out.

1 hour ago, Bob Ness said:

We'll see. I certainly respect her and could very well be wrong.

The Romney vote to convict vindicated Pelosi’s strategy. There’s no way she could dispatch the House Sergeant At Arms to arrest Mulvaney. A long delay in the trial would have hardened the public’s view it was a purely partisan exercise.

Now we have a bi-partisan vote to convict, with much testimony and document leaks to come.

Pelosi played it beautifully.