The Education Forum

JFK and Project Blue Book

Tonight on "Project Blue Book" the big surprise was they had a young Senator JFK digging for info on UFOs.   His character appears to be on the side of full disclosure.   At the end of the episode a threat to JFK is inferred when a character says JFK is not untouchable for his agency.   It was shocking to see this as the show is portrayed as a semi-historical recreation.  It was surprising the show went down this road.  I share this for information only and I give no personal opinion as to the merits of the portrayal.

Curious to hear thoughts of people who watched it.  Mr.  Caddy did you view it?  

While a few of the serious researches in the UFO community felt the first year's series provided some entertainment - with more and more frequent forays from actual facts we have about Blue Book and the historical figures of that era -  they all agree that it has gone totally off the rails in the second season and become entirely fictional.  Calling it "semi-historical" is no longer accurate, its become a very bad version of a much better fictional series (Dark Skies) of a few  years ago - that was at least entertaining.

I remember reading the book by Project Blue Book's Edward Ruppelt after his retirement, "The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects." It's interesting to read the Wikipedia article on Ruppelt. Allen J. Hynek described him as "seriously puzzled" about some of the UFO cases. Ruppelt had a heart attack in his early 30s, and he died of an attack at the age of only 37 in 1960, the same year that an expanded edition of his book was published in which he called UFOs "a space-age myth." What?

I've watched every PBB episode except the one you mentioned with the JFK side story Cory. This episode has been taped and I will watch it today.

Surprised anyone else on the forum outside of Doug and myself has viewed these.

I was unimpressed with the series initially. Still not that enamored but the regular cast actors are growing on me just barely enough that I'm willing to sit through to the finish of each show.

And I do know each specific case and am curious how the show's writers will treat and embellish different aspects of these with their dramatic license.

I'm willing to accept this stretched part of the show format as I know that without it the series would be much more like a dry documentary that wouldn't draw in an audience of any size worthy of general viewing audience and advertising appeal.

Even so, I really find the side plots involving Hynek's wife almost irritatingly distracting. That initial side story of the beautiful blond Russian Spy seducing her into a lesbian sex tryst was absolutely ridiculous and cheap. Her joining a UFO interest group and snooping into her husband's activities same thing.

Well I figure that at least the series is keeping the subject matter in the newer generation zeitgeist if even to a very small degree. The basic stories each show depicts are based on actual cases in the Blue Book files.

Edited by Joe Bauer

JFK was extremely knowledgeable about the subject of UFOs and the Alien Presence. The late Jim Marrs, Linda Mouton Howe and I believe this is why he was assassinated. He attempted an end-run around Majestic 12, which at that time was headed by Allen Dulles, in establishing closer relations to the Soviet Union to build a common bond between the two countries  in dealing with the Alien Presence.The world is fast approaching public disclosure. .

Edited by Douglas Caddy

11 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

JFK was extremely knowledgeable about the subject of UFOs and the Alien Presence. The late Jim Marrs, Linda Mouton Howe and I believe this is why he was assassinated. He attempted an end-run around Majestic 12, which at that time was headed by Allen Dulles, in establishing closer relations to the Soviet Union to build a common bond between the two countries  in dealing with the Alien Presence.

I remember reading about Majestic 12 in a mag called The Skeptical Inquirer. It seemed to me that the mag made a very good case that the Majestic 12 documents were a hoax. But what do I know? And as for being "skeptical," The Skeptical Inquirer sure seemed determined to toe official lines, debunking anything and everything it could about UFOs, conspiracies, or you name it.

Edited by Ron Ecker

Objectively it would be hard to find a responsible researcher in the field of UFO's who would credit the MJ12 documents at this point in time...although they are still passionately supported by those who take them as an article of faith.  Critical research in the field of UFO's is as much or more of a challenge than it is in regard to JFK.  It is however something that can consume  your life if  you choose...

Watched the latest "Project Blue Book" episode last night.

I will say that the JFK character did look reasonably like the real JFK.

His speaking voice, inflections and accent same thing. At least not over-acted.

I'm in with staying on as a viewer.

The actors themselves are compellingly good enough to keep me interested in seeing them do their thing each week.

And the stories are just close enough to the real ones that even with their Hollywood exaggeration side plots I care how they play out in the end more now than before.

Can't expect too much from any general audience appeal TV drama telling of the subject matter I guess.

Heck, I was hooked on "The Invaders" it's entire run. Roy Thinnes as David Vincent and great guest star actors kept me watching despite some fairly hokey story lines at times.

Edited by Joe Bauer

• 1 year later...

There was a programme on UK tv last night on UFO's.  (As an amateur astronomer I'm somewhat ambivalent with this topic.)  It began with the WWII Foo Fighter sightings in Europe, followed by the saucer controversies in U.S. & the secret Security State handling of the controversial happenings of San Francisco & Roswell etc.  The programme documented the White House involvements of Roosevelt, Truman, Ike & onto JFK.

My attention to this broadcast was more focussed with JFK.  I think this thread from last year covers the same track that my tv prog was covering.  Namely:-this partly burned 9 page memo purportedly authored by Jim Angleton dated November 12th 1963, which states "Lancer has made enquiries into highly classified MJ12 info which cannot be allowed."   The added concern was JFK was wishing to share NASA technology with Soviets along with data on UFO's.

Throughout there were inputs from various UFO researchers, one an author whose name I didn't catch who published a book 'UFO's and the National Security State' + someone who proposed that the memo was the real deal having analysed the paper and ink employed.

The text also included euphemistic comments indicating getting rid of JFK.

Q1. As per Cory's post above, what is the consensus of this MJ12/CIA link?

Q2. Does the full or partial text exist anywhere?

4 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Pete: Richard Dolan is the author of UFO's and the National Security State.

Richard Dolan - YouTube

.Cheers Doug, I had an idea you might supply some info on this topic.