• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
Doug, having known him. You might like this.
A trifecta from 5th amendment hobbyist Roger Stone

First all's not well on the way to Mar a Lago. Roger says: Jared's got an Iq of  70 and Ivana Trump is "an abortionist bitch"!  I thought Stone and his wife were big swingers! Obviously being pro life in no way limits your lifestyle.

Incidentally Roger Stone been shown extensively with an oath keeper whose pleaded guilty to seditious conspiracy.

Here's he's rallying his troops before 1/6.

Stone giving out the game plan for the upcoming election..

Kirk: Roger has been skating on thin ice for years. I foresee in the near future a big hole appearing in the ice and he falls deep into it and his cries for public attention go unnoticed for years by those outside.

22 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

John,

Let's stop the silly bickering.  In reality, you and I probably agree on most things.  We're both pro-working class fans of John F. Kennedy, right?  I'm even a musician who has recorded a lot of Celtic folk music over the years.

Here's one of my Irish recordings.   (Can't vouch for my Gaelic.)

Mo Choill (My Love) by Guillermo Ambrose | SoundClick

Isn't the gist of your argument that Princeton Professor Stephen Kotkin was merely "projecting" American exceptionalism onto Putin and the Russian Federation?

The issue is far more complex.  Russians have their own apocalyptic grandiosity.

Are you familiar with the apocalyptic early 16th century Russian Orthodox concept of Moscow as the "Third Rome...and there shall not be a Fourth?"

Here's an interesting recent commentary on the subject of Putin's imperialism.

The Kremlin’s suicidal imperialism – Nina L Khrushcheva (socialeurope.eu)

Nice work on that song, William. I play a bit of music myself but I’m not as talented as that.*

You’re right that we probably agree on most things and you’re right to mention that. Our interaction may have descended to bickering – a culture war bunfight – but if that’s the case it’s because one or both of us are flouting the rules of logic.

I’m not sure that early 16th century Russian Orthodox doctrine is relevant to current geopolitics and I didn’t find Nina Khrushcheva’s article very insightful or persuasive.

Your description of the gist of my argument is more or less correct. It’s what you say after that that I find problematic.

Mearsheimer’s thesis, with which I agree, is that the Ukraine situation was caused by American exceptionalism (in the form of military imperialism) not Russian exceptionalism.

A manifestation of Russian exceptionalism comparable to the Ukraine situation would be, for example, as follows: the progressive Russian domination of South and Central America culminating in the intensive planting of intelligence and military assets in Mexico and the engineering of a coup there so as to instal an anti-American government.

It’s hard to believe that the US would not view that kind of Russian aggression as an existential threat and take whatever action was deemed necessary to defeat it.

*PS. Is there a way for me to send you a private message regarding the song, William?

5 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

Nice work on that song, William. I play a bit of music myself but I’m not as talented as that.*

You’re right that we probably agree on most things and you’re right to mention that. Our interaction may have descended to bickering – a culture war bunfight – but if that’s the case it’s because one or both of us are flouting the rules of logic.

I’m not sure that early 16th century Russian Orthodox doctrine is relevant to current geopolitics and I didn’t find Nina Khrushcheva’s article very insightful or persuasive.

Your description of the gist of my argument is more or less correct. It’s what you say after that that I find problematic.

Mearsheimer’s thesis, with which I agree, is that the Ukraine situation was caused by American exceptionalism (in the form of military imperialism) not Russian exceptionalism.

A manifestation of Russian exceptionalism comparable to the Ukraine situation would be, for example, as follows: the progressive Russian domination of South and Central America culminating in the intensive planting of intelligence and military assets in Mexico and the engineering of a coup there so as to instal an anti-American government.

It’s hard to believe that the US would not view that kind of Russian aggression as an existential threat and take whatever action was deemed necessary to defeat it.

*PS. Is there a way for me to send you a private message regarding the song, William?

John,

There are many things about U.S. State Department, military, and CIA policies in the post-WWII era that I disapprove of, including NATO expansion.  But I have also disagreed with many of Putin's anti-Democratic policies during the past 20 years.  As for the apocalyptic Third Rome theology of the ROC, it has been integral to the thinking of Slavophiles from Dostoevsky to Alexander Dugin.

Regarding the Biden critics around here, don't forget that Joe Biden is the only Irish Catholic President we've ever elected in the U.S., besides John F. Kennedy.

Wealthy conservatives hate Biden, and denigrate him 24/7, but I think his heart is in the right place.

P.S.  You can PM people here by clicking on their name, then clicking on Message.

David Talbot wrote on Facebook today:

According to this important NYT article (buried on p. 20 of today's print edition), the insurance industry is blackballing Florida in the wake of the staggering $67 billion in home loss claims filed after devastating Hurricane Ian.
Here's the key graf:
"Ian's aftermath shows how climate change is increasingly eroding the financial underpinnings of modern American life. Without insurance, banks won't issue a mortgage; without a mortgage, most prospective homeowners can't buy a home. With fewer buyers, home prices fall, and new development can slow or even come to a stop."

7 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

I am puzzled, too. It isn't only Biden. It's widespread around the globe. Vindman comes from the National Security Council that has access to intelligence that is not disseminated beyond classified cleared persons and entities. 

Our sleepy media in Houston missed one hell of a great story by not covering Vindman's talk. He is Jewish and the most the audience was Jewish, so he spoke candidly. His life story is incredible. His family escaped from Kiev just before the Nazis seized the city and quickly set about killing 33,000 Jews. They fled to a hamlet deep in the Ural Mountains of Russia and stayed safely there during World War II. Then they emigrated to the United States.

My guess is this is new-fashioned fear-mongering. 

Authorities always want more control over media, and often to engender fear in populations.

If you fear domestic subversives---in large enough numbers enough to trigger a civil war---or if you fear a nuclear war, you are much more likely to endure a repressive, censorious authoritarian state. 

In addition, state prosecutorial apparatus can be weaponized for political gains, in such a fertile environment. 

Biden may be trying for the old "rally around the flag, and the president, in time of war" tactic (Bush jr. mastered that one). 

But make no mistake, there are many people in the US, especially in media, discussing prospects for a nuclear war.  I assume this is traumatizing some fraction of the US population. 

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Aliens From the MAGA-verse Invade Education Forum

Once Scholarly Forum Now Flooded with Firehose of Right Wing Falsehoods

The Firehose of Falsehood Effect (propwatch.org)

October 15, 2022

William,

Rule #21 of Murphy's law of Combat applies here: 

"If the enemy is in range, so are you" 

50 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Also: "People who live in glass houses...."

Huh, Ben?  What glass houses do you imagine progressive Democrats around here live in?  Do tell.

As for Douglas Caddy's latest post about insurance companies and Hurricane Ian, let's not forget that Florida Republicans like Rick Scott, Marco Rubio, and Ron DeSantis have been funded by the Kochs for years to deny climate change.

When Koch-ster Rick Scott was Governor of Florida he even prohibited Florida state employees from using the term "climate change."  

The GOP is, unquestionably, the Big Oil-funded party of climate change denial. 

334457_image.jpg

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Huh, Ben?  What glass houses do you imagine progressive Democrats around here live in?  Do tell.

As for Douglas Caddy's latest post about insurance companies and Hurricane Ian, let's not forget that Florida Republicans like Rick Scott, Marco Rubio, and Ron DeSantis have been funded by the Kochs for years to deny climate change.

When Koch-ster Rick Scott was Governor of Florida he even prohibited Florida state employees from using the term "climate change."  

The GOP is, unquestionably, the Big Oil-funded party of climate change denial. 

334457_image.jpg

W-

Oh, I am no fan of the 'Phants. Likely, much of your suspicions of the GOP have a kernel of truth in them. 

But why do you still have the D/R paradigm as your frame of reference? You know, there are many independents, including myself. 

Re-read Tulsi Gabbard's explanation of why she left the Donks: 

I can no longer remain in today’s Democratic Party that is now under the complete control of an elitist cabal of warmongers driven by cowardly wokeness, who divide us by racializing every issue & stoke anti-white racism, actively work to undermine our God-given freedoms, are hostile to people of faith & spirituality, demonize the police & protect criminals at the expense of law-abiding Americans, believe in open borders, weaponize the national security state to go after political opponents, and above all, dragging us ever closer to nuclear war.

I believe in a government that is of, by, and for the people.

Unfortunately, today’s Democratic Party does not.

Instead, it stands for a government of, by, and for the powerful elite.

I’m calling on my fellow common sense independent-minded Democrats to join me in leaving the Democratic Party.

Why not heed Gabbard's call, and liberate yourself? 

Can we come up with another party?

Likely not, as the M$M is absolutely doing the spit-roast with these two  parties....

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Matthew, so the Democrats are proud baby killers?

Wow I didn't l know.

I guess we have to face the truth..

Gee, I don't know, lols, I like the John Fetterman impersonation.. it's just like what your party is running on since the "corrupt" Supreme Court sent Roe v Wade back to the states.

Isn't that what you guys have said?  

Edited by Matthew Koch

The Daily 202: Charles Koch wants a more open border. Immigration is one reason he’s backed away from the GOP.----WaPo

THE BIG IDEA: Charles Koch doesn’t just think President Trump’s threat to close the southern border is terrible. He’d do the opposite.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220608031818/https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2019/04/03/daily-202-charles-koch-wants-a-more-open-border-immigration-is-one-reason-he-s-backed-away-from-the-gop/5ca38a9b1b326b0f7f38f2eb/

So why would Satan himself, in temporal form as Charles Koch, want an open border for the USA?

It would be crude to suspect Koch wants cheap labor or to undermine US labor movements. 

On 10/15/2022 at 6:51 AM, Chris Barnard said:

There are plenty out there who don’t view inflation as a tax. But, is it? 

Excellent video.

The following article summarizes everything I have been saying about the massive power and negative influence right wing talk radio has had on our society the last 30 years.

The top 10 huge national audience right wing political propogandists ( there are more behind them ) broadcasting their left-liberal fear mongering and demonizing demagoguery to 10's of millions of Americans 24/7.

Hannity, Dave Ramsay, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin, Alex Jones, even George Noory, etc.

All following the Godfather of right wing radio  Left/Liberal fear and hate broadcasting propaganda Rush Limbaugh.

Notice Coast to Coast AM host George Noory makes the top ten list! He favors the far right wing movement and has since he first appeared. He used to have Alex Jones on semi-regularly, Roger Stone and Jerome Corsi as well.

50 million regular listeners tune in to this far right wing, fear mongering liberal hate radio propaganda every day.

And the left has basically no one?

SUNDAY MORNING 

Talk radio: Widening the airwaves' great divide.

Across America, the message is loud and clear: 35 years after the talk radio revolution, "on the air" is still often an exercise in "off the rails." 

Correspondent Jim Axelrod asked industry expert Brian Rosenwald, "In 2022's America, what's the nature of talk radio? Is it any different than it's been the last two or three decades?"

"If anything, Jim, I think it's more extreme," Rosenwald replied.

Following the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine in 1987, broadcasters were no longer required to present both sides of controversial political issues – which ushered in Rush Limbaugh's polarizing and immensely popular style that attracted 15 million listeners a week who felt dominant media outlets had a liberal bias.

"And I think over that long span, it has unquestionably divided Americans," Rosenwald said. "It has unquestionably hardened our politics."

"And how is that good for America?" Axelrod asked.  

"It's not; it's bad for America."

Michael Harrison, the publisher of Talkers Magazine, the industry Bible, said, "We're facing a cultural crisis in this country. "If we could have on the liberal side what we have on the conservative side, the talk radio industry would be better, free speech would be better served, and the nation would be better served."

It's not that liberals haven't mounted a counter-attack; they just chose another battlefield.

As to why there is no "liberal Rush Limbaugh," Rosenwald said, "I think they've gone into other areas. I think Jon Stewart has been every bit of a trailblazer as Rush Limbaugh was, and he happened to colonize late-night comedy. Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, most of the late-night comics lean left at this point."

Which is why, more than three decades after Limbaugh weaponized talk radio for the right, liberals remain outmanned and outgunned. On the list of Talkers Magazine's Top 10 most popular talk radio hosts, all ten are conservative.

While the vitriol flows in both directions these days on commercial radio, the one part of the dial that is liberal turf, public radio, attracts big numbers, though its relatively restrained compared to the intense competition for listeners on commercial radio that's creating ever-more extreme approaches to attracting listeners.

If you're hoping for any change in this dynamic, don't; talk radio is now a mature business, with those running it less willing to gamble on something like nuance.

According to Harrison, "I think right now it's 'have a take, and don't suck.'"

Because the only color that seems to matter more than red and blue in our divided America … is green.

Axelrod asked, "What is the mission of talk radio? Is it to generate light, or heat?"

While the vitriol flows in both directions these days on commercial radio, the one part of the dial that is liberal turf, public radio, attracts big numbers, though its relatively restrained compared to the intense competition for listeners on commercial radio that's creating ever-more extreme approaches to attracting listeners.

If you're hoping for any change in this dynamic, don't; talk radio is now a mature business, with those running it less willing to gamble on something like nuance.

According to Harrison, "I think right now it's 'have a take, and don't suck.'"

Because the only color that seems to matter more than red and blue in our divided America … is green.

Axelrod asked, "What is the mission of talk radio? Is it to generate light, or heat?"

"The mission of talk radio," Harrison replied, "is to generate ratings and revenue."

For more info:

Edited by Joe Bauer