The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

5 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

I have a deep, deep conviction regards caring about an innocent child born into my family no matter what the unintentional wrong-side-of-the-tracks procreating circumstances.

Joe,

What I said about Joe Biden and his granddaughter has nothing to do with social or economic class. What I said is that, if Hunter Biden doesn't want to have a relationship with the child, then nobody should expect Joe Biden to have one either. It is not his child. And this is none of our business.

As for this child's well-being, I am certainly glad there are people like you who care. But don't forget that this child is receiving child support. And if Hunter Biden makes as much money as the far-right likes to say he does, then she must be doing well financially too. The sad thing for her is that she has no father to love her.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

9 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Why doesn't anybody ever remember The Monkees? 

Ben,

Many musicians of the day sneeringly referred to The Monkees as "the Prefab Four," a derisive nod to The Beatles' nickname "The Fab Four."  Mike Nesmith (Nez) and Peter Tork had some musical experience going in. Davey Jones was a drummer, but Don Kirschner decided the diminutive Brit would get lost if he were to become the lead singer while sitting behind a drum kit. So they made a drummer out of Mickey Dolenz, used LA's "The Wrecking Crew" [Hal Blaine on drums, among others] on Monkees recording sessions, and I STILL believe that the voices we hear on The Monkees' Theme are actually Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. Oh, and the TV show was about as slapstick as anything you'll ever see.

But The Monkees sold MILLIONS of records. 

Peter Tork's gone. Davy Jones is gone. Nez is gone.

And Mickey Dolenz was still touring, last I noticed.

59 minutes ago, Mark Knight said:

David Crosby and his music were a big part of my teens and 20s. His passing once more shows me that our musical influences of the '60s and '70s are at "that age."

And many of us aren't far behind.

My favorite CSNY album is 4 Way Street, the live double album. All four artists doing solos and harmonies. That's an act that most bands would hesitate to follow. In my college days, I had an 8-track tape of that album, and many nights I would drift off to sleep with my headphones on, listening to that album.

I used to own that vinyl 4 Way Street album in the 70s, but lost it or leant it to someone years ago. 

As I recall, David Crosby's terrific song, All Along the Lee Shore, is on that 4 Way Street live album.

(In my next life, I would also like to own a yacht and spend time cruising the Caribbean... 🤥)

Incidentally, David Crosby was, apparently, quite a Tweeter.

Some of these are hilarious.

David Crosby dead: Byrds, Crosby, Stills & Nash singer was also a Twitter legend. (slate.com)

Edited by W. Niederhut

1 hour ago, Mark Knight said:

Ben,

Many musicians of the day sneeringly referred to The Monkees as "the Prefab Four," a derisive nod to The Beatles' nickname "The Fab Four."  Mike Nesmith (Nez) and Peter Tork had some musical experience going in. Davey Jones was a drummer, but Don Kirschner decided the diminutive Brit would get lost if he were to become the lead singer while sitting behind a drum kit. So they made a drummer out of Mickey Dolenz, used LA's "The Wrecking Crew" [Hal Blaine on drums, among others] on Monkees recording sessions, and I STILL believe that the voices we hear on The Monkees' Theme are actually Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. Oh, and the TV show was about as slapstick as anything you'll ever see.

But The Monkees sold MILLIONS of records. 

Peter Tork's gone. Davy Jones is gone. Nez is gone.

And Mickey Dolenz was still touring, last I noticed.

Thank you for your review of the Monkees.

They likely were the Villi Manilli of their time.

I must admit, my family had a Monkees record (back then, vinyl). That may be the most embarrassing admission of my life. 

11 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Let me get this straight...

Hunter Biden has a fling with a prostitute and she gets pregnant. Biden wants nothing to do with the child and doesn't even know if it is his. DNA tests prove the child is indeed Hunter's and he is ordered to pay child support.

So Hunter pays child support -- as he should -- but wants nothing to do with the child or the mother.

And you think Joe Biden should step around Hunter's wishes and establish his own relationship with the child?

Well that's about one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. But I'm not surprised that those on the right would make a big deal about such a thing.

Joe Biden is a class act.

Well, we are world's apart on this one.

It could be that grand-daughter needs the kind of help and family the wealthy Bidens can afford.

I cannot believe Mrs Biden is cool with this.  I never heard of a grandmother dismissing a blood grand-daughter. It seems inhuman. 

There is an old saying, "Children are an investment, and grandchildren are the returns." 

You have a grand-daughter...and so what? La-de-dah? Send money and that's it. Wash our hands of the situation? Not expedient at this time? 

We have to agree to disagree on this one. 

4 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Well, we are world's apart on this one.

It could be that grand-daughter needs the kind of help and family the wealthy Bidens can afford.

As I said, the grandchild is receiving child support from Hunter.

4 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I cannot believe Mrs Biden is cool with this.  I never heard of a grandmother dismissing a blood grand-daughter. It seems inhuman. 

There is an old saying, "Children are an investment, and grandchildren are the returns."

Ben,

So Joe Biden should side-step his son's wishes for his own selfish needs?

I don't think so and neither do most states. In most states the parents have the legal right to decide what is best for their children.

I think it is presumptuous of you to decide 1) that Joe Biden should side-step his son's wishes, and 2) that doing so would be in the best interests of the child. None of this is any of our business.

Iowa Republicans push 'profoundly cruel and petty' food benefit restrictions
By Jake Johnson, Common Dreams Ja uary 20, 2023b

https://www.rawstory.com/iowa-republicans-push-profoundly-cruel-and-petty-food-benefit-restrictions/

"Republicans in the Iowa House introduced legislation this month that would impose a slew of fresh restrictions on the kinds of food people can purchase using SNAP benefits, sparking outrage among local groups who say the measure would exacerbate hunger in the GOP-dominated state.
The Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC), an interfaith group that operates the largest food pantry network in Iowa, noted in a statement earlier this week that if the bill passes, "Iowans could no longer use their SNAP benefits to purchase meat, nuts, and seeds; flour, butter, cooking oil, soup, canned fruits, and vegetables; frozen prepared foods, snack foods, herbs, spices—not even salt or pepper.""

Savages.

That's just barbaric.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

6 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

As I said, the grandchild is receiving child support from Hunter.

Ben,

So Joe Biden should side-step his son's wishes for his own selfish needs?

I don't think so and neither do most states. In most states the parents have the legal right to decide what is best for their children.

I think it is presumptuous of you to decide 1) that Joe Biden should side-step his son's wishes, and 2) that doing so would be in the best interests of the child. None of this is any of our business.

Well, we are world's apart on this one. So be it. 

The Kansas City Star has a story about the growing problem of shootings at funeral homes.

Shooter was drunk, had been told to leave Kansas City funeral before opening fire, witness says

https://nordot.app/989325120476282880?c=592622757532812385

"Escalating violence at funeral homes in Kansas City and across the nation has forced some funeral directors to change the way they do business to keep mourners and their employees safe. Some funeral homes have turned to requesting police presence, installing surveillance cameras and keeping funeral information private. Some directors carry guns.

In a 2021 story, The Star looked at the growing problem and how it was affecting Kansas City funeral homes, including Elite Funeral Chapel, which is owned by Malcolm Morris.

At the time, Morris said that years ago he stopped doing funerals for homicide victims, with rare exception. He hires off-duty Kansas City Police Department officers for security if he thinks there might be trouble at a funeral."

Sad commentary, I think.

Steve Thomas

12 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

"In 2019, it was reported that by order of the White House and Senate Republicans, the FBI limited its investigation into the accusations of Kavanaugh’s past sexual misconduct."

So where was the "Deep State" on this, hmm? Out having lunch? Napping on the job?

I look forward to explanations...