• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

10 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

John,

Please accept my apology for being so abrasive about the subject of the "anti-woke" movement in the U.S. today.

It's something that really pushes my buttons.

IMO, this "anti-woke" nonsense is related to the larger subject of latent racism in the U.S., Trump-ism, and the white supremacist rage that surfaced in the U.S. after Barack Obama's election in 2008.

It shocked me at the time.  I grew up in a mixed-race, working class neighborhood in the 1960s, and I thought that the U.S. had made far more progress on Civil Rights and moving beyond racism during the four decade period from MLK's assassination to Obama's election in 2008.  Boy, was I mistaken!

David Axelrod nailed it in 2017 when he pointed out that Trump came to power as the Hegelian antithesis to Obama-- the poorly educated, bigoted, orange Anti-Obama.

Recall that this moronic anti-woke reaction to the teaching of America's true, untold history originated with Trump's pseudo-historical 1776 initiative-- a reaction to the 1619 project to educate Americans about the history of slavery.

It's popular with the Fox News-watching Trump cult, and is now being championed by Rupert Murdoch's favorite right wing alternative to the Orange Mar-a-Lago Baboon-- Ron DeSantis.

William,

Thank you for your gracious apology which is accepted.

I fully agree with your condemnation of slavery, racism, misogyny, homophobia, book-banning and all such iniquity and obscurantism.

However, I don’t identify myself as “woke”, because, as I understand it, “wokeness” entails the blanket endorsement of such practices as positive discrimination, banning or bowdlerizing books such as Huckleberry Finn, pulling down statues, certain problematic aspects of transgender ideology and unrestricted abortion.

I would add that as a vegan I also condemn the infliction of unnecessary terror, pain and death on non-human animals in order to eat them or their excrescences, for which stance I have been accused of being “woke”.

What I’ve said about the problematic nature of the term “woke” (and by implication “anti-woke”) likewise applies to terms such as “left”, “liberal” and their supposed opposites.

My point was that these largely meaningless labels inevitably engender groupthink and “us and them” culture wars which are inimical to rational analysis and debate. They do, however, facilitate the “divide and conquer” stratagem favoured by authoritarian governments.

As for demonising and railing at Trump and the Republicans, it ignores and effectively exonerates the skulduggery and corruption of the Democrats and their complicity in the impoverishment and gaslighting of non-rich ordinary people.

It plays into the above-mentioned divide-and-conquer stratagem used by the few to subjugate the many.

And regarding the 1619 project in particular, there is an excellent critique of this in the video posted by @Matthew Koch immediately after your post. After all, Martin Luther King himself came to the conclusion towards the end of his life that economic inequality was a more important issue than racism.

Edited by John Cotter

46 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

William,

Thank you for your gracious apology which is accepted.

I fully agree with your condemnation of slavery, racism, misogyny, homophobia, book-banning and all such iniquity and obscurantism.

However, I don’t identify myself as “woke”, because, as I understand it, “wokeness” entails the blanket endorsement of such practices as positive discrimination, banning or bowdlerizing books such as Huckleberry Finn, pulling down statues, certain problematic aspects of transgender ideology and unrestricted abortion.

I would add that as a vegan I also condemn the infliction of unnecessary terror, pain and death on non-human animals in order to eat them or their excrescences, for which stance I have been accused of being “woke”.

What I’ve said about the problematic nature of the term “woke” (and by implication “anti-woke”) likewise applies to terms such as “left”, “liberal” and their supposed opposites.

My point was that these largely meaningless labels inevitably engender groupthink and “us and them” culture wars which are inimical to rational analysis and debate. They do, however, facilitate the “divide and conquer” stratagem favoured by authoritarian governments.

As for demonising and railing at Trump and the Republicans, it ignores and effectively exonerates the skulduggery and corruption of the Democrats and their complicity in the impoverishment and gaslighting of non-rich ordinary people.

It plays into the above-mentioned divide-and-conquer stratagem used by the few to subjugate the many.

And regarding the 1619 project in particular, there is an excellent critique of this in the video posted by @Matthew Koch immediately after your post. After all, Martin Luther King himself came to the conclusion towards the end of his life that economic inequality was a more important issue than racism.

29 minutes ago, Matthew Koch said:

👆😉 He's right you know..

He certainly delivers a few gobsmackers in that short interview.

15 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

He seems to have done well enough as the judge whisperer to afford high end attorneys.  From a modest living to two new mansions, four new cars, a wine locker and buyer at Morton's.  Yes, he did well in the chump years.  Hats off to Jane Mayer but is it really dark money, or dirty money?

He did well because those who assisted him financially and his cause, the Federalist Society, knew he would stack the Supreme Court and the whole Federal Court system with partisan judges. This is exposed in Servants of the Damned: Giant Law Firms, Donald Trump and the Corruption of Justice, by David Enrich, Business Investigations Editor for The New York Times.

Comedian, Bill Burr, explains the US political process rather aptly. 

“I’ve seen enough wrestling to know a rigged game.” 

“People with youtube channels are making as much as the leader of the free world, so, I just think he is setup to be bribed.” 

“Act accordingly, or you get that convertible ride in Dallas.” 

Watch:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmdELtTjJQw/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The reason I'm not anti-woke is because woke is not a threat. It's an entirely manufactured bogeyman by the right which likes to focus in on the most extreme examples of things in our culture and present them as representing the mainstream of their opponents.

The right has been doing this for years. In it's early days, Fox News used to literally bring on spokesmen from NAMBLA and presented them as representative of the Democratic mainstream in debates with its hosts.

6 hours ago, John Cotter said:

John,

I agree with most of your (above) analysis, but this sentence is problematic.

If you study the history of Democratic progressives in the U.S. during the past century-- FDR, JFK, et.al.-- they have been the only bona fide representatives of the American working class.

Every single legislative achievement benefitting the working class in the U.S. during the past century has been accomplished by Democrats, often in the teeth of fierce Republican resistance-- Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare, etc.   The lone exception is that Nixon deserves credit for helping to create the EPA.

In contrast, the essential legislative legacy of the Republican Party during the past 40 years has been tax cuts for the rich-- beginning with Ronald Reagan in the 1980s, then Bush & Cheney in 2001 and 2003, and Trump in 2017.

Trump is a plutocrat who has used white racism and xenophobia as a disguise for populism.

I'm opposed to Bowdlerization, in any form, but the current white supremacist "Anti-woke" book banning movement in Republican politics is an abomination-- reminiscent of things that Hitler did in Germany in the 1930s.

Edited by W. Niederhut

16 minutes ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

The reason I'm not anti-woke is because woke is not a threat. It's an entirely manufactured bogeyman by the right which likes to focus in on the most extreme examples of things in our culture and present them as representing the mainstream of their opponents.

The right has been doing this for years. In it's early days, Fox News used to literally bring on spokesmen from NAMBLA and presented them as representative of the Democratic mainstream in debates with its hosts.

Allen Ginsberg used to do Fox News interviews?