• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

‘. . . A portentous January 1968 affidavit sworn by Aginter Press assassin and Jean Rene Souetre associate Jacques Godard reveals the group’s relationship with certain American persons and organizations: “In the course of our services we had relations with certain persons and organizations like, for example, President Tschombe and with Biafra. We likewise were in charge of relations with the John Birch Society, which was an American political group financed especially by Texas oil producers whose activity is absolutely anti-communist. Everywhere where there is a struggle, either open or covert, with communists, the John Birch Society [JBS] lends its financial aid to the people who are struggling against international communism.” The reader encounters the significance of the Texas oil producers and the Dallas branch of the JBS in Chapter 1, “Lay of the Land,” to further understand the width and breadth of influence of Aginter Press and similar fascist organizations.’ — Coup in Dallas

Birchers review: how the Republican far right gave us Trump and DeSantis

Lloyd Green

19 March, The Guardian

[Matthew] Dallek argues convincingly that despite the end of the cold war, amid which the Birchers were born, its antipathies and suspicions continue to animate and inflame, a reality Trump and his minions remember and Democrats forget at their peril.

Dallek looks at how the Birchers’ ideas came to pollenate and populate the Republican party. It didn’t happen randomly or suddenly. The society never disappeared and nor did its ideas and resentments. The “quagmires in Afghanistan and Iraq” coupled with the “financial crisis and Great Recession” breathed fresh currency into isolationism, nativism and scorn for elites.

Founded in 1958, at a secret meeting in Indianapolis led by Robert Welch, the candy manufacturer, the group took its name from a missionary and intelligence officer killed in 1945 by communists in China. Birch’s Christianity and the circumstances of his death were central to the society’s message.

Original members included Fred C Koch, founder of Koch Industries and father of Charles and David, the hard-right political activists and billionaire donors.

“In the 1930s [Fred Koch] had helped build oil refineries, first in Stalin’s Soviet Union and then in Hitler’s Germany, and his brushes with both regimes shaped his cold war philosophy,” Dallek writes. . . . 

Race was always near the surface. The society attacked Brown v Board of Education, the 1954 supreme court decision which held that de jure racially segregated schools were unequal and unconstitutional. The Birchers, as Dallek recounts, branded the decision “procommunist”. . . .

Another Republican primary is upon us. Trump again leads the way. The furor over his dinner with Ye, the antisemitic recording artist formerly known as Kanye West, and Nick Fuentes, the white supremacist, recedes. DeSantis loses ground. Authenticity and charisma matter. The governor parrots Trump and Carlson on Ukraine, flip-flopping in the process.

Yet no other Republican comes close. The John Birch Society is still winning big.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/mar/19/birchers-review-republican-far-right-trump-desantis-dallek-john-birch-society

• Matthew Dallek, professor George Washington University, is author of Birchers: How the John Birch Society Radicalized the American Right is published in the US by Hachette

Edited by Leslie Sharp

19 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Thank you for this link.  Anyone who cares about where JFK's assassination led should read it.

Has anyone around here read either of these two October Surprise books-- by Gary Sick and Barbara Honegger?

According to Wikipedia, Oliver Stone bought the movie rights to Gary Sick's book.

October Surprise: America's Hostages in Iran and the Election of Ronald Reagan: Sick, Gary: 9780812919899: Amazon.com: Books

October Surprise: Honegger, Barbara: 9780944276464: Amazon.com: Books

Edited by W. Niederhut

37 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

. . . ahead of his [Bragg] potential prosecution of former President Trump . . .

Surely this qualifies as attempted interference in prosecution of a criminal case.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3908625-house-republicans-seek-testimony-from-manhattan-da-on-trump-hush-money-probe/

Yes, Leslie, it's more evidence of the extreme corruption of Kevin McCarthy and his GOP Sedition Caucus.

McCarthy has no moral compass.

Let's recall that McCarthy once openly bragged about the fact that the endless Congressional GOP "investigations" of Benghazi had succeeded in lowering Hillary Clinton's approval ratings.

He was also caught on a hot mic in 2017 joking with Paul Ryan and colleagues about the fact that Trump and other Republicans had received illegal Russian campaign funding.

4 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Yes, Leslie, it's more evidence of the extreme corruption of Kevin McCarthy and his GOP Sedition Caucus.

McCarthy has no moral compass.

Let's recall that McCarthy once openly bragged about the fact that the endless Congressional GOP "investigations" of Benghazi had succeeded in lowering Hillary Clinton's approval ratings.

He was also caught on a hot mic in 2017 joking with Paul Ryan and colleagues about the fact that Trump and other Republicans had received illegal Russian campaign funding.

geez, I don't think I knew about the hot mic episode!

GOP has always had trouble winning elections without mudslinging.

Then again, Dems hold grudges occasionally.  [it's the Irish!]  

1 hour ago, Leslie Sharp said:

geez, I don't think I knew about the hot mic episode!

GOP has always had trouble winning elections without mudslinging.

Then again, Dems hold grudges occasionally.  [it's the Irish!]  

Leslie,

IMO, this is about more than mere partisan mudslinging.

It's about the misuse of power.

McCarthy and other Republicans have misrepresented the investigation of Trump's serious crimes-- Russiagate, Ukrainegate, J6-- as mere partisan politics, while "investigating" pseudo-scandals like Whitewater, Fast & Furious, and Benghazi.

The current GOP Oversight Committee is now, basically trying to cover up Trump's crimes, including his Emoluments clause violations.

Edited by W. Niederhut

19 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Leslie,

IMO, this is about more than mere partisan mudslinging.

It's about the misuse of power.

McCarthy and other Republicans have misrepresented the investigation of Trump's serious crimes-- Russiagate, Ukrainegate, J6-- as mere partisan politics, while "investigating" pseudo-scandals like Whitewater, Fast & Furious, and Benghazi.

The current GOP Oversight Committee is now, basically trying to cover up Trump's crimes, including his Emoluments clause violations.

W., I was a bit flippant, so, apologies.

Absolutely this is a misuse of power, and adding to the insanity are accusations that Bragg, James, Willis, and Smith are "misusing" the power invested in them to prosecute Trump if the evidence is there in any or all of the cases.

Jim Jordan is dangerous.  

23 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I hope that everybody posting here will consider posting instead on the Forum's new Water Cooler threads. They are meant for this sort of posting. And, unlike the 56 Year thread, they will remain conveniently accessible from the main JFKA Debate page.

Thanks!

Sandy,

The "Water Cooler" thread on the JFK board is closed.

Are you referring to another thread?

My own opinion, as I told Kathy yesterday, is that it would be helpful to have all of our "banished" JFKA threads on this Political Discussions board, so that we can all read and comment on them without having to hunt around the Education Forum to find the various "banished" threads.

Edited by W. Niederhut

W.,

Are you referring to the Water Coolers thread that I posted at the very top of the main JFKA Debate page? I opened (unhid) that just an hour ago or so. It works for both me and Mark Knight. I even logged in as a non-admin user and it worked.

Please try again and report back. If it's really broken, I'll fix it.