The Education Forum

About Oswald by Robert Morrow

Robert Oswald said that his brother Lee Harvey Oswald’s favorite TV show was I Led Three Lives about an FBI informant who pretended to be a Communist. I wonder if this is what inspired completely innocent CIA Oswald to go into counterintelligence for the U.S. government?

Note: Oswald was born on Oct. 18, 1939: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Harvey_Oswald

The TV drama I Led Three Lives ran from Oct. 1, 1953 to Jan. 1, 1956. Oswald would have been age 13-16 during this time period: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Led_3_Lives

A key page from Robert Oswald’s book – https://twitter.com/CONELRAD6401240/status/1259856311585583109/photo/1

The center of Lee’s fantasy world shifted from radio to television when Mother bought a television set in 1948. When it was new, all of us spent far too much time watching variety shows, dramas and old movies. Lee, particularly, was fascinated. One of his favorite programs was I Led Three Lives, the story of Herbert Philbrick, the FBI informant who posed as a Communist spy. In the early 1950’s, Lee watched that show every week without fail. When I left home to join the Marines, he was still watching the reruns.

UNQUOTE

[Robert Oswald, Lee: Portrait of Lee Harvey Oswald by His Brother, p. 47]

Another key point: Lee Harvey Oswald was U.S. intelligence and he shot NO ONE on 11/22/63.  

1) “Oswald and the CIA” book by John Newman

2)  “The Last Investigtion: What Insiders Know about the Assassination of JFK” by Gaeton Fonzi
3) “Spy Saga: Lee Harvey Oswald and US Intelligence” book by Philip Melanson
4) “History Will Not Absolve Us” by Martin Schotz (Chapter 5 “Oswald and U.S. Intelligence” by Christopher Sharrett)
5) “Me and Lee” book by Judyth Vary Baker (Oswald’s mistress in New Orleans, summer 1963)
6) “Crossfire” by Jim Marrs “Was Oswald a Spy” - p. 189. “Did Oswald Work for the FBI” - p. 226

7) “Destiny Betrayed” by Jim DiEugenio, Chapter 7 “On Instructions from His Government” (2012 edition)
8) “A Certain Arrogance: U.S. Intelligence’s Manipulation of Religious Groups and Individuals in Two World Wars and the Cold War – and the Sacrificing of Lee Harvey Oswald” book by George Michael Evica
9) “Accessories After the Fact” by Sylvia Meagher, Chapter 19 “Oswald and the State Department’”
10) “Coup D’Etat in America: The CIA and the Assassination of John F. Kennedy” by Alan Weberman & Michael Canfield, Chapter 3 “Was Oswald a CIA Agent?”
11) “Oswald in New Orleans: Case for Conspiracy with the CIA” by Harold Weisberg
12) “Oswald: The Truth” by Joachim Joesten (1967)
13) Chapter 9 “Fingerprints of Intelligence” in “Reasonable Doubt” by Henry Hurt
14) Chapter 14 “Oswald and the CIA” in “Oswald: Assassin or Fall Guy” by Joachim Joesten
15) Chapter 12 ” Was Oswald a Government Agent” in “Breach of Trust: How the Warren Commission Failed the Nation and Why” by Gerald McKnight
16) Chapter 13 “Spies” in “Farewell America” by James Hepburn
17) Google “Lee Harvey Oswald’s reading habits summer 1963” by Judyth Vary Baker
18) Google ” Lee Harvey Oswald—a U.S. Intelligence Agent: The Evidence by Hal Verb”
19) Google “The Death of a President by Eric Norden in The Minority of One, Jan, 1964”
20) “The Search for Lee Harvey Oswald” by Robert Groden

21) “I am a Patsy! I am a Patsy!” by George De Mohrenschildt

22) Google “Oswald and the FBI” by Harold Feldman, The Nation January, 1964, pp 86-89

23) “Missing Links: Oswald: Footprints of Intelligence” in Missing Links in the JFK Assassination Conspiracy by Ralph D. Thomas, pp. 80-98.

"In the early 1950’s, Lee watched that show every week without fail. When I left home to join the Marines, he was still watching the reruns."

Any understanding of Oswald requires this bit of information to be integrated into the equation. It doesn't prove he was a spy, but it does likely show that he sincerely at least wanted to behave as one.

5 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

The TV drama I Led Three Lives ran from Oct. 1, 1953 to Jan. 1, 1956. Oswald would have been age 13-16 during this time period: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Led_3_Lives

A key page from Robert Oswald’s book – https://twitter.com/CONELRAD6401240/status/1259856311585583109/photo/1

The center of Lee’s fantasy world shifted from radio to television when Mother bought a television set in 1948. When it was new, all of us spent far too much time watching variety shows, dramas and old movies. Lee, particularly, was fascinated. One of his favorite programs was I Led Three Lives, the story of Herbert Philbrick, the FBI informant who posed as a Communist spy. In the early 1950’s, Lee watched that show every week without fail. When I left home to join the Marines, he was still watching the reruns.

UNQUOTE

[Robert Oswald, Lee: Portrait of Lee Harvey Oswald by His Brother, p. 47]

Robert Oswald joined the Marines and left home for San Diego on July 15, 1952.  Before he left home, how could he possibly have seen his “brother” watching a show that didn’t air for the first time until more than a year later?  Much less reruns!

Just more smoke from Robert.

Morrow is quoiting from Robert Oswald's biography about this. A tour in the Marines was for four years, so his brother may have seen him watching the show while being at home on leave during this period.

Morrow is fastidious about using quotes from sources.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Mr. Caddy,

In reference to the television show I Led Three Lives, Robert Oswald wrote: “When I left home to join the Marines, he was still watching the reruns.”  Robert Oswald left home for the Marines on July 15, 1952, more than a year before the first episode of I Led Three Lives aired.

Robert Morrow is accurately quoting from Robert Oswald’s book.  But Robert Oswald’s statement is demonstrably incorrect, to put it charitably.

EDIT: Robert Oswald was discharged from the Marines in July 1955, while first-run episodes of I Led Three Lives were still being aired.

Edited by Jim Hargrove

Mr. Caddy,

Jim Hargrove is spot on with his analysis of Robert Oswald.  For decades, he would appear on television documentaries and in media interviews with the intent of throwing his "brother" under the bus of history.  Robert Oswald's book is simply filled with inaccurate information and sleight of hand.

To answer the question in your lead post for this thread, Oswald did not become involved in counterintelligence due to watching the television program I Led Three Lives.  That supposition is based exclusively on hearsay evidence.  Instead, Oswald's connection to the intel agencies was thrust upon him, due to his Russian language skills.  To my way of thinking, key issues related to Oswald's connection to the national security network and who was responsible for President Kennedy's death begin with that talking point.  I have unfolded the case for this argument in my article "Oswald's Proficiency in the Russian Language" that appears on the harveyandlee.net site. 

As a demonstration of Robert Oswald's duplicitous role in the coverup of the JFK assassination, the relationship of Robert Oswald to the two daughters of Marina and Oswald is most revealing.  Robert Oswald never had contact with them both when they were growing up or as adults.  The question is:  why?

I watched almost everything on TV in those years and

found I LED THREE LIVES fascinating as a kid. Oswald aside, I think

it appealed to kids struggling to figure out the craziness of the adult world

and the schizoid way adults acted. There is

a goofy book on LHO claiming he was inspired to kill

JFK by watching THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, SUDDENLY,

and WE WERE STRANGERS, though (1) there is no evidence

he saw those films and (2) he didn't kill JFK.

Edited by Joseph McBride

Are you talking about Jean Davison's crazy book?  "Oswald's Game?"

She did a lot of stuff like that, TV shows, newspaper articles.  Which she never could prove Oswald watched.  Just like she never could prove Oswald shot Kennedy.

BTW, that dud of a book was DVP's favorite volume.

No, the book to which I refer is an obscure one called Oswald's Trigger Films: The Manchurian Candidate, We Were Strangers, Suddenly? by John Loken (2000). It's still available on Amazon. At least there's a question mark in the title.

Edited by Joseph McBride

Do we have a new category now?  Death by Hollywood?

Edited by James DiEugenio