The Education Forum

1970 Document

Calvin Ye

Marguerite lived in Irving in 1959?  I've never read about this.  My maternal grandparents lived there at the time.  I wonder if they might have passed her in the grocery store or post office.  They lived there still in 1963.  I've wondered the same thing about Ruth and Marina, a passing encounter, maybe a nod or a smile, or excuse me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bill Simpich said:

I believe I have found the origin document to this story - it is 124-10130-10284 (unredacted version).  Also see  Commission Document 212 (redacted version).

It is a 12/17/63 memo by SA John Wineberg, stating that a confidential informant informed his partner William Betts that an Edward Cronk allegedly said that LHO and his wife got in touch with Ruth through the pen pal program of the Young Friends Movement.

Specifically, it states that "on December 16, 1963, PH T-1 (whose name is redacted) advised SA William S. Betts, Edward Cronk, Executive Secretary of the Young Friends Movement of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, 1515 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA, said he met Ruth Paine in Indiana in 1955...She and Cronk are both members of the Young Friends Movement...

"According to Cronk...he said Lee Oswald and his wife got in touch with Paine through the pen pal program of the Young Friends Movement.  He said Lee Oswald had never been to Philadelphia.

"Cronk said although he was personally acquainted with Ruth Paine, he did not know Oswald, nor the situation in Dallas relative to the Oswald family and Mrs. Paine."

The follow-up that I see is an 12/22/63 memo from Dallas saying to re-interview Cronk in light of a 12/11/63 Hosty memo, pages 11-12.   That Hosty document says (on actual page 11 but written page  😎 that the Paines met the Oswalds at Everett Glover's Dallas home in the spring of 1963.

Then I see an urgent memo from SAC, Philadelphia to Director, 12/24/63, discussing among many other things an interview directly with Cronk by two other agents.  Cronk told the agents that he had "no information that Ruth Paine corresponded with Oswalds while they were in Russia."   

The direct interview with Cronk reflects this report, and adds that Cronk said that Paine was not active with the pen pal group after 1957.

Cronk seemingly disappears from the record at this point - no further follow up.

It looks like either PH T-1 made it up, or Cronk lied in his re-interview.   

It is at least possible that this story was disinformation designed to confuse the record.

To me, what remains the strangest link to LHO pre-1963 is the Paines' decision to move to Marguerite Oswald's neighborhood in Irving right before Oswald's departure from the military and return to Irving supposedly to take care of his mother.  Michael first assumed responsibility for the new home in June 1959, and they moved in during October 1959, during the same time that Oswald returned home to see his mother...before he abruptly left after 3 days and boarded a freighter in New Orleans, with his journey winding up in Moscow.

Bill, what is the possibility that the Paines moved to Irving to monitor Marguerite Oswald?

My mistake - Marguerite was in Fort Worth, not Irving.

If anything, I think it's more likely that they were unwittingly moved to Irving as the ideal people to move into the Oswald orbit, as he was motivated by all things Russian - and so was Ruth. 

The Paines moved to 2515 W. 5th in Irving in the second weekend of September (not October, as stated above) and went on to buy the house there. 

Marguerite was living at 3124 W. 5th. in Fort Worth, several miles away.  By October, she was living elsewhere in Fort Worth.

It's a weird coincidence they lived on the same named street during September - although the Paines were in Irving and Marguerite was in Fort Worth - was it an accident?

Oswald came back for a three day weekend during the second week of September, and then departed to the USSR in what turned out to be three years.  

Edited by Bill Simpich

1 hour ago, Bill Simpich said:

My mistake - Marguerite was in Fort Worth, not Irving.

If anything, I think it's more likely that they were unwittingly moved to Irving as the ideal people to move into the Oswald orbit, as he was motivated by all things Russian - and so was Ruth. 

The Paines moved to 2515 W. 5th in Irving in the second weekend of September (not October, as stated above) and went on to buy the house there. 

Marguerite was living at 3124 W. 5th. in Fort Worth, several miles away.  By October, she was living elsewhere in Fort Worth.

It's a weird coincidence they lived on the same named street during September - although the Paines were in Irving and Marguerite was in Fort Worth - was it an accident?

Oswald came back for a three day weekend during the second week of September, and then departed to the USSR in what turned out to be three years.  

Bill, what do you think of this document:

Bill.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 4:33 PM, Bill Simpich said:

I remember researching Tyree many years ago, and I shouldn't be taken as an expert, I just found it not well documented.

Bill, I've thought of you as more of an expert than myself in many respects now for several years.   But regarding Tyree's statement I have to wonder why Future head of the CIA William Casey would be using this former Green Beret prisoners former Colonel to funnel money to Ruth Paine seven years before the JFK Assassination.  Or how it might relate.  Seems a little far fetched to me.  jmo 

30 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Bill, I've thought of you as more of an expert than myself in many respects now for several years.   But regarding Tyree's statement I have to wonder why Future head of the CIA William Casey would be using this former Green Beret prisoners former Colonel to funnel money to Ruth Paine seven years before the JFK Assassination.  Or how it might relate.  Seems a little far fetched to me.  jmo 

This is passage from Defrauding America by Rodney Stich: "Bowen said that he reported directly to William Casey in the CIA during the 1960s and 1970s. He indicated that Casey was with the CIA in a covert capacity after World War II and long before becoming its director in 1981."

"Casey was part of the OSS during World War II until it was disbanded by President Truman in 1947. He then became a covert operative for the CIA with no publicized connection to the Agency until 1981, when President Reagan appointed him Director of the CIA."