The Education Forum

Dallas D.A. Henry Wade's controversial press conference 11/24/63

Dallas D.A. Henry Wade's controversial press conference 11/24/63 - Wade's awkward and suspicious comments and interchange with regard to Jack Ruby and the evidence...but especially Ruby.

One newsman's observation comments to Henry Wade... "It looked to be like you're good friends" referring to this newsman watching Ruby and Wade talking to each other late Friday night.

Wade looked like a boy caught red handed in a cookie jar theft lie by this newsman's observation comment. He (Wade ) got this super embarrassed and sappy smile look on his face and could not even mutter one word in response.

Because he DID know Jack Ruby well! Despite pretending he didn't in this press conference.

Reporter's question to Wade "Did you know Jack Ruby before this?"

Wade "No sir  ... "

Oh please.

Edited by Joe Bauer

7 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

One newsman's observation comments to Henry Wade... "It looked like you two knew each other quite well" referring to this newsman watching Ruby and Wade talking to each other late Friday night.

Wade looked like a boy caught red handed in a cookie jar theft lie by this newsman's observation comment. He (Wade ) got this super embarrassed and sappy smile look on his face and could not even mutter one word in response.

Because he DID know Jack Ruby well! Despite pretending he didn't in his press conference.

"The man's name is a ... Jack Rubenstein I believe." Oh please!

exactly!

Why were Wade as well as Earle Cabell and Sheriff Decker guests of the Zumora Club (formerly the Anonymous Club until the Appalachian raid) on July 7, 1962.  Joseph Civello and Joe Campisi were prominent members at the weekly Thursday evening meeting at a house north of Love Field for drinks, dinner, discussion and an illegal game of poker.   Per the Dallas Italian American weekly newspaper.

They were there because they were on the take imo.  Decker was all the way back to the 30's and Benny Binion while he was Chief Deputy Sheriff.  They probably received their payments from a more upper level but were well aware of and familiar with Ruby, who likely paid off the vice squad guys (per one of his strippers).

Rambling thoughts from what I've read that seemed credible to me.  Still part speculation I realize.

Transcript:

DALLAS DISTRICT ATTORNEY HENRY WADE: The purpose of this news conference is to detail some of the evidence against Oswald for the assassination of the president. This evidence was gathered by, largely by the Dallas police who did an excellent job on this, with the help of some of the federal agencies. And I’m going through the evidence piece by piece, uh, for you, number one as some of this you will already know some of it you won’t, I don't think. Uh, as all of you do know first … there’s a number, we have a number of witnesses that saw the person with the gun on the sixth floor of the bookstore building. The window, detailing the window where he was looking out. Inside this window, the police found a row of books, cases, boxes, hiding someone sitting in the window from people on the same floor looking in. Uh, on the window was some boxes where in the little circle around the window by the book cases, some boxes where apparently the person was sitting, because he was seen from that particular window. On this box that the defendant was sitting on, his palm print was found and was identified as his. The 3 ejected shells were found right by the box. The shells were of an odd caliber of the type and later determined, the gun that was found on the floor. The gun was hidden on this same floor, behind some boxes, uh, and, uh, some bookcases. It, as I think you know, have, has been identified as having been purchased last March by the, Oswald, from a mail order house. By and through a, through an assumed name named Hidell, mailed to a post office box here in Dallas. On his person was a pocketbook, in his pocketbook was identification card with the same name and post office box on it. Pictures were found by the defendant with this gun and a pistol on his, in his holster. Immediately that morning, that an unusual, but that morning a neighbor brought the, Oswald from Irving, Texas. He usually brought him on Monday morning, I think, but this day he went home one day early, on Thursday night, and came back, uh, to, uh, with this fella, and when he came back he had a package under his arm. Uh, that he said was window curtains, I believe or window shades, uh. The wife had said he had the gun the night before, it was missing that morning after he left. He got out around 8 o'clock and went to the building behind some cars and went to work. A police officer immediately after the, uh, assassination, ran in the building and saw this man in a corner and started to arrest him, but the manager of the building said he was an employee and was all right. Every other employee was located but this defendant of the company. A description and name of him went out by police to look for him. The next we hear of him is on a bus where he got on a bus on Lamar street, told the bus driver the president had been shot. President (sic) told a lady, who, all this is verified by statements that, told a lady on the bus that, uh, the president had been shot, and said how do you know, he says a man back there told him, went back there to talk to him, the defendant said yes, he’s been shot, and laughed very loud. Uh...

VOICE: This was to a lady?

WADE: A lady. He then, the bus, he asked the bus driver to stop, got off at his stop, caught a taxi cab driver. In Oak Cliff, i don’t have the exact place, and went to his home in Oak Cliff, changed his clothes hurriedly, and left. As he left, uh, three witnesses saw a police officer, officer Tippit, motion to him or say something to him. He walked up to the car, officer Tippit stepped out of the car and started around it and he shot him three times, and killed him.

VOICE: Was this in front of the boarding house (unintelligible)?

WADE: No, it’s not in front of the boarding house.

VOICE: And where is it?

WADE: I don’t have the exact, it’s more than a block, it’s a block or two.

VOICE: Was he on foot when Tippit saw him?

WADE: Yes he was on foot, and apparently headed to the Texas Theater. He then walked across a vacant lot. Witnesses saw him eject the shells from the revolver and place, reload the gun. Someone saw him go in the Texas Theater. A search was made of that later by a number of police officers. At the time, an officer of the Dallas police (unintelligible) him and asked him to come out, uh, he struck at the officer, put the gun against his head, and snapped it, but did not, uh, the bullet did not go off. We had a snapped bullet there. Officers, officers subdued him at that time.

VOICE: Was that an attempt at suicide, sir?

VOICE: Against his head, or the officers?

WADE: Against the officer’s head.

VOICE: Which officer?

VOICE: You know why the gun didn’t go off?

WADE: MacDonald was his name.

VOICE: Do you know his first name?

WADE: It snapped, it was a misfire. Uh, then, uh, officers subdued him, some six officers subdued him there in the theater and he was brought to the police station here.

VOICE: Mr. Wade, why didn’t the gun fire?

WADE: It missed the firing pin, on the bullet, on the, uh, the shell didn’t explode. It, they have where it hit it, but it didn’t explode.

VOICES: (crosstalk) (unintelligible) firing pin?

WADE: It didn’t fire the shell.

VOICE: It was one officer said that he pulled the trigger, but he managed to put his thumb in the, in the uh, in the firing, before the firing pin, and it didn’t uh...

WADE: Well...

VOICE: ...strike the uh, the bullet was really exploded out. Is that...

WADE: I don’t know that the, I don’t know. I know that he did snap the gun is all that I know about it.

VOICE: (crosstalk) (unintelligible) so we can say it was a misfire.

WADE: It was a mis… it didn’t, it didn’t fire.

VOICE: (unintelligible) All right, you’ve got more evidence than this right?

VOICE: What other evidence?

VOICE: (unintelligible) let’s get this started.

(crosstalk)

WADE: Let’s see, uh, the, his fingerprints were found on the gun. Have I said that?

VOICE: Which gun?

WADE: On the rifle.

VOICE: What about the paraffin test?

WADE: Yes I haven’t gone into that. The paraffin test showed that he had, uh, recently fired a gun. It was on both hands.

VOICE: On both hands?

WADE: Both hands.

VOICE: Recently fired a rifle?

VOICE: A gun.

WADE: A gun.

VOICE: The rifle fingerprints were his? Were Oswalds?

WADE: Yes.

VOICE: Were there any fingerp-

WADE: Palmprint rather than a fingerprint.

VOICE: Were there any fingerprints at the window?

VOICE: (unintelligible) (noise) palmprint (unintelligible) was on the gun?

WADE: Yes. (unintelligible) 

VOICE: (unintelligible) (noise)

VOICE: Where on the gun?

WADE: Under the, on part of the metal, under the gun.

VOICE: Did he still ever say anything about it? Admit anything at all?

WADE: He never did admit at the end of the killing, (unintelligible) you asked me this, I didn’t do any interrogation.

VOICE: Oh I thought maybe you’d list it as part of the, part of the evidence.

WADE: Oh, it’s not listed here.

VOICE: Did he display any animosity toward the president? Any conversation with any law officers?

WADE: He was bitter toward all of the officers that examined him is what I’ve been told.

VOICE: Would you continue, sir…

VOICE: Let’s finish the…

WADE: We have, uh, in uh, that’s about all.

VOICE: About ballistics tests.

VOICE: Ballistics tests.

WADE: Well, I said this was the gun that, uh…

VOICE: Killed the president?

VOICE: (unintelligible) FBI report (unintelligible)?

WADE: I’m not at liberty to go into the FBI, FBI report.

VOICE: Did you say the gun was mailed to a post office box in Dallas in March?

WADE: March of this year.

VOICE: Was he living in Dallas then?

WADE: Yes. Or I assumed he was, he got it here.

VOICE: He previously lived in New Orleans?

(crosstalk)

VOICE: ...said he’d only been here two months, Mr. Wade.

WADE: He came to Fort Worth sometime in the fall of ‘62, and then moved here a while and apparently went to New Orleans for a while and came back. Now when the period of that is, I’m not sure.

VOICE: Mr Wade what was the evidence that we were told was, uh, startling evidence that could not be told to the press, uh…

VOICE: Saturday morning?

VOICE: They said it came in Saturday morning and that it could not be revealed, it was uh, uh, physical evidence.

WADE: I’m not… I don’t know, uh, that wasn’t me that said that, I don’t think.

VOICE: Have you given us everything that...

WADE: I’ve given you everything that I...

VOICE: Did you know that he’s been recognized as a patron of Ruby’s nightclub here?

WADE: I don’t know that.

VOICE: (crosstalk) Mr. Wade, do you know of any connection between Mr. Ruby and...

WADE: I know of none.

VOICE: Are you investigating reports that he might have been slain because Ruby might have feared he would implicate him in something?

WADE: The police are making the investigation of that murder. I don’t know anything about that.

VOICE: Is the investigation…

WADE: Although charges have been filed, it will be presented to a Grand Jury on Rubin… uh… We’ll prop immediately within the next week and it’ll probably be tried around the middle of January.

VOICE: As the district attorney’s office follows it’s investigation of the assassination of the president…

(crosstalk)

VOICE: ...before sending it again to Washington?

WADE: Before.

VOICE: Before sending the gun Washington.

VOICE: Do you, do you think it was unusual for Jack Ruby to be in that crowd?

WADE: I don’t pass on that, uh, unusual for being in that crowd?

VOICE: The reports that has been (crosstalk) planned...

WADE: I was… I’ve been here since last night, so I don’t know anything about things have been...

VOICE: Mr Wade, how do you feel about not being able to try Oswald as the killer of the President?

WADE: Well, uh, we will try Ruby and there’s the death penalty on him, about the same time.

VOICE: Well how about the (unintelligible)?

WADE: I don’t want to go into why’s or wherefores on anything.

VOICE: Has your office closed its investigation into the death of President Kennedy?

WADE: No sir, the investigation will continue on that with the basis towards, uh, and we have no concrete evidence that anyone assisted him in this, but the investigation I’m sure will go on with reference to any possible accomplice or people that assisted him in it.

VOICE: Do you have a suspicion now that the…

(crosstalk)

VOICE: ...the United States?

WADE: I have no concrete evidence or suspicions at present.

VOICE: Thank you.

VOICE: Would you be willing to say it with all this evidence that, uh, it is now beyond a reasonable doubt at that, uh, that, uh, Oswald was the killer of President Kennedy?

WADE: I would say that without any doubt he’s the killer. The law says beyond a reasonable doubt into a moral certainty, which I have, there’s no question that he was the killer of President Kennedy.

VOICE: That case is closed in your mind.

WADE: As far as Oswald’s concerned.

VOICE: Yes.

VOICE: Mr. Wade, will we be able to, uh, have copies of the photographs showing Oswald…

WADE: If you’ll have them, you’ll have to get them from the Dallas police.

VOICE: What do you think was the motive of Ruby?

WADE: I don’t know, I haven’t talked with him.

VOICE: What do you feel is the strongest evidence in that list?

WADE: Well it’s like any case based on a series of circumstances, they all have to fit together. You put a man in the window with a gun, people can not positively identify him from the ground, he fits their general description. You have his fingerprints there, you have the shells there, you have his gun that he’s purchased.

VOICE: What do you think… (unintelligible)?

WADE: Don’t... can’t answer that.

VOICE: Have you found any fluctuation in Oswald’s bank account or his finances?

WADE: I know of nothing, nothing about that.

VOICE: (unintelligible) ...palmprint, found… (unintelligible) box?

WADE: Yes sir.

VOICE: On both?

WADE: Both of them. As found by the Dallas police.

VOICES: (unintelligible) (crosstalk)

VOICE: How do you explain… (unintelligible)?

WADE: There were co-workers that left him there around twelve o’clock to eat lunch. I didn’t mention that, the witnesses put him on the fourth floor at twelve o’clock and shortly thereafter.

VOICE: The sixth floor?

VOICE: Four?

VOICE: Sixth.

WADE: The sixth floor. Where the box is.

VOICE: What did you say the ballistics? I missed the part about the ballistics.

WADE: That this was the gun, the bullet from this gun killed the president.

(crosstalk)

VOICE: Was that from the FBI sir?

WADE: I… I can’t go into anything from the FBI.

(crosstalk)

VOICE: ...the story that Oswald and Ruby were previously acquainted?

WADE: I think I heard it on radio or something, but I don’t know anything about it.

VOICE: Will we have a chance to talk to Ruby?

VOICE: I have not talked with...

(crosstalk)

WADE: ...I have not talked with either one of them.

VOICE: But will, will, will we get a chance to talk to him or see him?

WADE: I don’t know anything about that.

VOICE: Did you know Ruby...

WADE: This was entirely about going over the evidence. I thought some of you would want it.

VOICE: Did you know Ruby before this?

WADE: No sir. Saw him in this very same room Friday night when we had the defendant up here.

VOICE: He threw a stag party for the Texas Bar Association in the Adolphus hotel, were you there?

WADE: No sir, I wasn’t there. As a matter of fact, if some o-, oh, excuse me, if some of you will recall he asked a question from out here in the audience, or answered a question, he was standing right back here, and I didn’t know who he was, I thought he was a member of the press, and he told me as we walked out of here that he was a nightclub operator.

VOICE: What question did he ask?

WADE: Huh?

VOICE: He answered one.

WADE: I don’t remember, but he...

VOICE: He answered one, I think

WADE: Maybe it was an answer, but he said something, I...

VOICE: (unintelligible) it was Friday night when I asked you to do an interview with me on the phone and you had another call and Ruby was hanging around in the background. You were on the phone and I said, uh, and then you had to go away, and I, and I asked Ruby, uh, because he seemed to me like a detective. He seemed to be all over this place. And I said… (unintelligible) ...figured it out, and went around, and he got you, and he brought you to my telephone.

WADE: That might have been where he told me who he was. I didn’t know who he was either, when he, uh, I think someone here answered that question, in that he answered a question, somebody asked something and he answered it back there. And I don’t know what it was, I think it was some question about a street or an address or a name or something.

VOICE: It looked to be like your good friend (unintelligible).

VOICE: Do you feel that the list is complete, or is anything withheld by your government agencies (unintelligible)?

WADE: This is all that I know of. Yes.

VOICE: That’s all you know of.

VOICE: ...arguing this case what would you use as a theory of as to his motive?

VOICE: Again a question about his motive.

WADE: Well, of course that has to develop, you have to develop that from all of the evidence, and uh, I can’t go into motive, um, uh, it depends on what you can get in evidence. If you get everything that’s been written in the papers and evidence you could put a pretty good motive there but, I don’t, a lot of that I don’t think would be administered…

VOICE: What can you tell us…

WADE: ...and you’ve got to base your motive on what you have before the jury.

VOICE: What can you tell us so far about your investigation of, uh, Jack Ruby?

WADE: I haven’t, uh, had anything to do with it. I was, I haven’t, uh. No, I know nothing about it.

VOICE: Will you be involved?

WADE: I will try him as a prosecutor.

VOICE: Is the Justice Department heading up that investigation?

WADE: As far as I know the Dallas police is.

VOICE: How would you evaluate the work of the Dallas police in investigating the death of the president?

WADE: I think that Dallas police did an excellent job on this and before midnight on when he was killed, uh, had the man in custody and had sufficient evidence what I think to convict him.

VOICE: Mr. Wade, have you identified the gun positively as the one that was purchased by the defendant, and (unintelligible)?

WADE: It can be positively identified.

VOICE: Is there a serial number?

WADE: Serial number. 

VOICE: By serial number.

VOICE: And (unintelligible).

WADE: And both and that on the scope too.

VOICE: (unintelligible)

WADE: No, the scope was on the gun, but of course a different person makes it, a different company makes the scope.

VOICE: Did he buy, when he bought the gun, did he buy the gun with the scope and (unintelligible) unit?

WADE: Scope, scope was on it when it was purchased?

VOICE: It was mounted, right?

VOICE: Do you know what kind of gun it was?

WADE: I don’t have the exact, it was a foreign made gun of, uh.

VOICE: Six and, uh, five tenths millimeter

WADE: Six...

VOICE: ...Italian made, is that correct?

WADE: Six five tenths millimeter, and I understand is a used gun of, uh, Italian make, probably.

VOICE: Do you see that the…

VOICE: (unintelligible)?

WADE: It was mounted as I understand it when it came.

VOICE: Do you see that the easy availability of guns such as this, uh, requires new and more stringent laws?

WADE: That is an old question that’s been off, uh, uh, it’s obvious that if you didn’t have any guns you probably wouldn’t have any murders with guns. Uh, but it’s nearly impossible to keep a person who wants to kill from finding a gun somewhere.

VOICE: Do you know Oswald’s activities nine or ten days before (unintelligible)?

WADE: I never heard of him until he was arrested and brought in here.

VOICE: Mr. Wade, the State Department put out some information in Washington, where they stated the importance of telling this as to the American people to a situation developing in Russia, and the Russian Marxists that are mentioned in relation to Oswald’s background. Can you tell us anything, do you have evidence related to a Marxist background?

WADE: No sir, I can’t. There’s some uh, uh, things found on him, like newspapers and things, that didn’t necessarily connect him with the organization, like, uh, Communist Daily Worker or something, I don’t think he necessarily say he was, uh… The fact he read doesn’t necessarily mean that he... couldn’t prove that he belonged to it. I read quite a bit about this subject. I don’t know what you’re talking about, but I read interviews from reporters from over in Russia all on this subject, that the, apparently they know quite a bit more about it than I do.

VOICE: Was there material found here that tied them directly to the case?

WADE: There’s no, there’s material that said he belonged to any group other than this Fair Play For Cuba that I know of.

VOICE: Nothing on the (unintelligible)?

WADE: There’s lots of material dealing with that movement, but...

VOICE: Henry, were you ever able to ascertain whether he was in Washington and took part in the House Un-American Activities Committee (unintelligible)?

WADE: Uh, I know nothing about that, it’s… I don’t think he told anybody he was, and I don’t know of any, not to my knowledge. Now, I assume someone has been trying to check that, but I don’t know anything on that, except...

VOICE: Did Ruby do that? Were you answering about Ruby or about Oswald?

WADE: No, this was, this was about Oswald, wasn’t it? I don’t know of anything on either one of them up there, for that matter. I believe that’s about it.

VOICE: Thank you, Henry.

WADE: Thank you.

VOICE: Mr Wade, I’d like to ask one more question. Why did you (unintelligible) last night, and why did you go over (unintelligible)?

WADE: Well, there’s a lot of reasons, probably the main one, I received a call from Paris, France and Stockholm, Sweden and nearly every foreign country asking me about this evidence, and I (unintelligible) from the newsmen in those countries asking...

VOICE: Did Robert Kennedy or anyone from his office (crosstalk)?

WADE: I’ve heard nothing from any of the, from Washington or any of the officials in this country on this matter. But I decided that, uh, I’ve heard, I had a number of newsmen call me from all over the world wanting to know why it wasn’t, and I thought, just my old mind decided it was a good idea. (unintelligible).

VOICE: Excuse me sir. Are you aware that the Justice Department before you made this announcement and before you came into the building tonight had said that a new evidence, or the evidence would all be released and given to newsmen?

WADE: No sir, I’m not familiar with that other than as I walked out the door or one of the, one of the, your men I think called me and told me that, uh, there’s something on that that they were considering that, but I was already had this up was coming out to see you, that had nothing to do with me getting this ready.

VOICE: Is there, is there, is there any doubt in your mind that if Oswald was tried, that you would have had him convicted by a jury with the evidence you had?

WADE: I don’t think that there’s any doubt in my mind that we’d have convicted him but of course you, you never know what, uh, we’ve had lots and lots of people we thought that somebody might hang the jury or something, but there’s no question in my mind...

VOICE: As far as you’re concerned the evidence you gave us you would, you could have convicted him?

WADE: I’ve sent people to the electric chair on less.

VOICE: This was more than enough.

VOICE: Will you seek the death penalty for Ruby?

VOICE: Even if he pleads guilty?

VOICE: Is it an automatic death penalty?

VOICE: Does the FBI have sufficient evidence?

WADE: I don’t know. I don’t know, I’m not, I don’t know what they have.

VOICE: Sir, do you know when you’ll process the Ruby case to the grand jury?

WADE: Within a week, I said. I might say on this, that uh, you asked about the penalty on this, this latter, this latter case was the assassination of a man under arrest, handcuffed, that, to me, is a very aggravated case that warrants the death penalty.

VOICE: Are you investigating the possibility…

WADE: A second assassination doesn’t help the first.

VOICE: Do you have a signed statement from Mr. Ruby (unintelligible)?

WADE: I haven’t seen any, but I think, uh…

(crosstalk)

VOICE: Are you investigating the possibility that Ruby might have killed Oswald because he feared Oswald might implicate him in some form?

WADE: I’m not investigating anything, I’m going to try whatever... I’ll try the case.

End Transcript

Edited by Denny Zartman

5 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

WADE: No sir. Saw him in this very same room Friday night when we had the defendant up here.

VOICE: He threw a stag party for the Texas Bar Association in the Adolphus hotel, were you there?

WADE: No sir, I wasn’t there. As a matter of fact, if some o-, oh, excuse me, if some of you will recall he asked a question from out here in the audience, or answered a question, he was standing right back here, and I didn’t know who he was, I thought he was a member of the press, and he told me as we walked out of here that he was a nightclub operator.

VOICE: (unintelligible) it was Friday night when I asked you to do an interview with me on the phone and you had another call and Ruby was hanging around in the background. You were on the phone and I said, uh, and then you had to go away, and I, and I asked Ruby, uh, because he seemed to me like a detective. He seemed to be all over this place. And I said… (unintelligible) ...figured it out, and went around, and he got you, and he brought you to my telephone.

WADE: That might have been where he told me who he was. I didn’t know who he was either, when he, uh, I think someone here answered that question, in that he answered a question, somebody asked something and he answered it back there. And I don’t know what it was, I think it was some question about a street or an address or a name or something.

VOICE: Do you feel that the list is complete, or is anything withheld by your government agencies (unintelligible)?

Denny, thank you for posting the actual Wade news briefing transcript.

I stand corrected once again for not quoting Wade's statements correctly in my post above which I am going to edit for accuracy.

However, we see here that Wade flat out lies when he says to the press member's question " Did you know Jack Ruby before this?"

And Wade responds "No sir."

Also the actual quote of the reporter's observation of Ruby and Wade talking to one another late Friday night was " Looked to be like your good friend."

I correctly described Wade's embarrassed expression and non-answer.

Edited by Joe Bauer

5 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

Transcript:

DALLAS DISTRICT ATTORNEY HENRY WADE: The purpose of this news conference is to detail some of the evidence against Oswald for the assassination of the president. This evidence was gathered by, largely by the Dallas police who did an excellent job on this, with the help of some of the federal agencies. And I’m going through the evidence piece by piece, uh, for you, number one as some of this you will already know some of it you won’t, I don't think. Uh, as all of you do know first … there’s a number, we have a number of witnesses that saw the person with the gun on the sixth floor of the bookstore building. The window, detailing the window where he was looking out. Inside this window, the police found a row of books, cases, boxes, hiding someone sitting in the window from people on the same floor looking in. Uh, on the window was some boxes where in the little circle around the window by the book cases, some boxes where apparently the person was sitting, because he was seen from that particular window. On this box that the defendant was sitting on, his palm print was found and was identified as his. The 3 ejected shells were found right by the box. The shells were of an odd caliber of the type and later determined, the gun that was found on the floor. The gun was hidden on this same floor, behind some boxes, uh, and, uh, some bookcases. It, as I think you know, have, has been identified as having been purchased last March by the, Oswald, from a mail order house. By and through a, through an assumed name named Hidell, mailed to a post office box here in Dallas. On his person was a pocketbook, in his pocketbook was identification card with the same name and post office box on it. Pictures were found by the defendant with this gun and a pistol on his, in his holster. Immediately that morning, that an unusual, but that morning a neighbor brought the, Oswald from Irving, Texas. He usually brought him on Monday morning, I think, but this day he went home one day early, on Thursday night, and came back, uh, to, uh, with this fella, and when he came back he had a package under his arm. Uh, that he said was window curtains, I believe or window shades, uh. The wife had said he had the gun the night before, it was missing that morning after he left. He got out around 8 o'clock and went to the building behind some cars and went to work. A police officer immediately after the, uh, assassination, ran in the building and saw this man in a corner and started to arrest him, but the manager of the building said he was an employee and was all right. Every other employee was located but this defendant of the company. A description and name of him went out by police to look for him. The next we hear of him is on a bus where he got on a bus on Lamar street, told the bus driver the president had been shot. President (sic) told a lady, who, all this is verified by statements that, told a lady on the bus that, uh, the president had been shot, and said how do you know, he says a man back there told him, went back there to talk to him, the defendant said yes, he’s been shot, and laughed very loud. Uh...

VOICE: This was to a lady?

WADE: A lady. He then, the bus, he asked the bus driver to stop, got off at his stop, caught a taxi cab driver. In Oak Cliff, i don’t have the exact place, and went to his home in Oak Cliff, changed his clothes hurriedly, and left. As he left, uh, three witnesses saw a police officer, officer Tippit, motion to him or say something to him. He walked up to the car, officer Tippit stepped out of the car and started around it and he shot him three times, and killed him.

VOICE: Was this in front of the boarding house (unintelligible)?

WADE: No, it’s not in front of the boarding house.

VOICE: And where is it?

WADE: I don’t have the exact, it’s more than a block, it’s a block or two.

VOICE: Was he on foot when Tippit saw him?

WADE: Yes he was on foot, and apparently headed to the Texas Theater. He then walked across a vacant lot. Witnesses saw him eject the shells from the revolver and place, reload the gun. Someone saw him go in the Texas Theater. A search was made of that later by a number of police officers. At the time, an officer of the Dallas police (unintelligible) him and asked him to come out, uh, he struck at the officer, put the gun against his head, and snapped it, but did not, uh, the bullet did not go off. We had a snapped bullet there. Officers, officers subdued him at that time.

VOICE: Was that an attempt at suicide, sir?

VOICE: Against his head, or the officers?

WADE: Against the officer’s head.

VOICE: Which officer?

VOICE: You know why the gun didn’t go off?

WADE: MacDonald was his name.

VOICE: Do you know his first name?

WADE: It snapped, it was a misfire. Uh, then, uh, officers subdued him, some six officers subdued him there in the theater and he was brought to the police station here.

VOICE: Mr. Wade, why didn’t the gun fire?

WADE: It missed the firing pin, on the bullet, on the, uh, the shell didn’t explode. It, they have where it hit it, but it didn’t explode.

VOICES: (crosstalk) (unintelligible) firing pin?

WADE: It didn’t fire the shell.

VOICE: It was one officer said that he pulled the trigger, but he managed to put his thumb in the, in the uh, in the firing, before the firing pin, and it didn’t uh...

WADE: Well...

VOICE: ...strike the uh, the bullet was really exploded out. Is that...

WADE: I don’t know that the, I don’t know. I know that he did snap the gun is all that I know about it.

VOICE: (crosstalk) (unintelligible) so we can say it was a misfire.

WADE: It was a mis… it didn’t, it didn’t fire.

VOICE: (unintelligible) All right, you’ve got more evidence than this right?

VOICE: What other evidence?

VOICE: (unintelligible) let’s get this started.

(crosstalk)

WADE: Let’s see, uh, the, his fingerprints were found on the gun. Have I said that?

WADE: On the rifle.

VOICE: What about the paraffin test?

WADE: Yes I haven’t gone into that. The paraffin test showed that he had, uh, recently fired a gun. It was on both hands.

VOICE: On both hands?

WADE: Both hands.

VOICE: Recently fired a rifle?

VOICE: A gun.

WADE: A gun.

VOICE: The rifle fingerprints were his? Were Oswalds?

VOICE: Were there any fingerp-

WADE: Palmprint rather than a fingerprint.

VOICE: Were there any fingerprints at the window?

VOICE: (unintelligible) (noise) palmprint (unintelligible) was on the gun?

WADE: Yes. (unintelligible) 

VOICE: (unintelligible) (noise)

WADE: Under the, on part of the metal, under the gun.

VOICE: Did he still ever say anything about it? Admit anything at all?

WADE: He never did admit at the end of the killing, (unintelligible) you asked me this, I didn’t do any interrogation.

VOICE: Oh I thought maybe you’d list it as part of the, part of the evidence.

WADE: Oh, it’s not listed here.

VOICE: Did he display any animosity toward the president? Any conversation with any law officers?

WADE: He was bitter toward all of the officers that examined him is what I’ve been told.

VOICE: Would you continue, sir…

VOICE: Let’s finish the…

WADE: We have, uh, in uh, that’s about all.

VOICE: About ballistics tests.

VOICE: Ballistics tests.

WADE: Well, I said this was the gun that, uh…

VOICE: Killed the president?

VOICE: (unintelligible) FBI report (unintelligible)?

WADE: I’m not at liberty to go into the FBI, FBI report.

VOICE: Did you say the gun was mailed to a post office box in Dallas in March?

WADE: March of this year.

VOICE: Was he living in Dallas then?

WADE: Yes. Or I assumed he was, he got it here.

VOICE: He previously lived in New Orleans?

(crosstalk)

VOICE: ...said he’d only been here two months, Mr. Wade.

WADE: He came to Fort Worth sometime in the fall of ‘62, and then moved here a while and apparently went to New Orleans for a while and came back. Now when the period of that is, I’m not sure.

VOICE: Mr Wade what was the evidence that we were told was, uh, startling evidence that could not be told to the press, uh…

VOICE: They said it came in Saturday morning and that it could not be revealed, it was uh, uh, physical evidence.

WADE: I’m not… I don’t know, uh, that wasn’t me that said that, I don’t think.

VOICE: Have you given us everything that...

WADE: I’ve given you everything that I...

VOICE: Did you know that he’s been recognized as a patron of Ruby’s nightclub here?

WADE: I don’t know that.

VOICE: (crosstalk) Mr. Wade, do you know of any connection between Mr. Ruby and...

WADE: I know of none.

VOICE: Are you investigating reports that he might have been slain because Ruby might have feared he would implicate him in something?

WADE: The police are making the investigation of that murder. I don’t know anything about that.

VOICE: Is the investigation…

WADE: Although charges have been filed, it will be presented to a Grand Jury on Rubin… uh… We’ll prop immediately within the next week and it’ll probably be tried around the middle of January.

VOICE: As the district attorney’s office follows it’s investigation of the assassination of the president…

(crosstalk)

VOICE: ...before sending it again to Washington?

WADE: Before.

VOICE: Before sending the gun Washington.

VOICE: Do you, do you think it was unusual for Jack Ruby to be in that crowd?

WADE: I don’t pass on that, uh, unusual for being in that crowd?

VOICE: The reports that has been (crosstalk) planned...

WADE: I was… I’ve been here since last night, so I don’t know anything about things have been...

VOICE: Mr Wade, how do you feel about not being able to try Oswald as the killer of the President?

WADE: Well, uh, we will try Ruby and there’s the death penalty on him, about the same time.

VOICE: Well how about the (unintelligible)?

WADE: I don’t want to go into why’s or wherefores on anything.

VOICE: Has your office closed its investigation into the death of President Kennedy?

WADE: No sir, the investigation will continue on that with the basis towards, uh, and we have no concrete evidence that anyone assisted him in this, but the investigation I’m sure will go on with reference to any possible accomplice or people that assisted him in it.

VOICE: Do you have a suspicion now that the…

(crosstalk)

VOICE: ...the United States?

WADE: I have no concrete evidence or suspicions at present.

VOICE: Thank you.

VOICE: Would you be willing to say it with all this evidence that, uh, it is now beyond a reasonable doubt at that, uh, that, uh, Oswald was the killer of President Kennedy?

WADE: I would say that without any doubt he’s the killer. The law says beyond a reasonable doubt into a moral certainty, which I have, there’s no question that he was the killer of President Kennedy.

VOICE: That case is closed in your mind.

WADE: As far as Oswald’s concerned.

VOICE: Yes.

VOICE: Mr. Wade, will we be able to, uh, have copies of the photographs showing Oswald…

WADE: If you’ll have them, you’ll have to get them from the Dallas police.

VOICE: What do you think was the motive of Ruby?

WADE: I don’t know, I haven’t talked with him.

VOICE: What do you feel is the strongest evidence in that list?

WADE: Well it’s like any case based on a series of circumstances, they all have to fit together. You put a man in the window with a gun, people can not positively identify him from the ground, he fits their general description. You have his fingerprints there, you have the shells there, you have his gun that he’s purchased.

VOICE: What do you think… (unintelligible)?

WADE: Don’t... can’t answer that.

VOICE: Have you found any fluctuation in Oswald’s bank account or his finances?

WADE: I know of nothing, nothing about that.

VOICE: (unintelligible) ...palmprint, found… (unintelligible) box?

WADE: Yes sir.

VOICE: On both?

WADE: Both of them. As found by the Dallas police.

VOICES: (unintelligible) (crosstalk)

VOICE: How do you explain… (unintelligible)?

WADE: There were co-workers that left him there around twelve o’clock to eat lunch. I didn’t mention that, the witnesses put him on the fourth floor at twelve o’clock and shortly thereafter.

VOICE: The sixth floor?

VOICE: Four?

VOICE: Sixth.

WADE: The sixth floor. Where the box is.

VOICE: What did you say the ballistics? I missed the part about the ballistics.

WADE: That this was the gun, the bullet from this gun killed the president.

(crosstalk)

VOICE: Was that from the FBI sir?

WADE: I… I can’t go into anything from the FBI.

(crosstalk)

VOICE: ...the story that Oswald and Ruby were previously acquainted?

WADE: I think I heard it on radio or something, but I don’t know anything about it.

VOICE: Will we have a chance to talk to Ruby?

VOICE: I have not talked with...

(crosstalk)

WADE: ...I have not talked with either one of them.

VOICE: But will, will, will we get a chance to talk to him or see him?

WADE: I don’t know anything about that.

VOICE: Did you know Ruby...

WADE: This was entirely about going over the evidence. I thought some of you would want it.

VOICE: That’s all you know of.

VOICE: ...arguing this case what would you use as a theory of as to his motive?

VOICE: Again a question about his motive.

WADE: Well, of course that has to develop, you have to develop that from all of the evidence, and uh, I can’t go into motive, um, uh, it depends on what you can get in evidence. If you get everything that’s been written in the papers and evidence you could put a pretty good motive there but, I don’t, a lot of that I don’t think would be administered…

VOICE: What can you tell us…

WADE: ...and you’ve got to base your motive on what you have before the jury.

VOICE: What can you tell us so far about your investigation of, uh, Jack Ruby?

WADE: I haven’t, uh, had anything to do with it. I was, I haven’t, uh. No, I know nothing about it.

VOICE: Will you be involved?

WADE: I will try him as a prosecutor.

VOICE: Is the Justice Department heading up that investigation?

WADE: As far as I know the Dallas police is.

VOICE: How would you evaluate the work of the Dallas police in investigating the death of the president?

WADE: I think that Dallas police did an excellent job on this and before midnight on when he was killed, uh, had the man in custody and had sufficient evidence what I think to convict him.

VOICE: Mr. Wade, have you identified the gun positively as the one that was purchased by the defendant, and (unintelligible)?

WADE: It can be positively identified.

VOICE: By serial number.

VOICE: And (unintelligible).

WADE: And both and that on the scope too.

VOICE: (unintelligible)

WADE: No, the scope was on the gun, but of course a different person makes it, a different company makes the scope.

VOICE: Did he buy, when he bought the gun, did he buy the gun with the scope and (unintelligible) unit?

WADE: Scope, scope was on it when it was purchased?

VOICE: It was mounted, right?

VOICE: Do you know what kind of gun it was?

WADE: I don’t have the exact, it was a foreign made gun of, uh.

VOICE: Six and, uh, five tenths millimeter

WADE: Six...

VOICE: ...Italian made, is that correct?

WADE: Six five tenths millimeter, and I understand is a used gun of, uh, Italian make, probably.

VOICE: Do you see that the…

VOICE: (unintelligible)?

WADE: It was mounted as I understand it when it came.

VOICE: Do you see that the easy availability of guns such as this, uh, requires new and more stringent laws?

WADE: That is an old question that’s been off, uh, uh, it’s obvious that if you didn’t have any guns you probably wouldn’t have any murders with guns. Uh, but it’s nearly impossible to keep a person who wants to kill from finding a gun somewhere.

VOICE: Do you know Oswald’s activities nine or ten days before (unintelligible)?

WADE: I never heard of him until he was arrested and brought in here.

VOICE: Mr. Wade, the State Department put out some information in Washington, where they stated the importance of telling this as to the American people to a situation developing in Russia, and the Russian Marxists that are mentioned in relation to Oswald’s background. Can you tell us anything, do you have evidence related to a Marxist background?

WADE: No sir, I can’t. There’s some uh, uh, things found on him, like newspapers and things, that didn’t necessarily connect him with the organization, like, uh, Communist Daily Worker or something, I don’t think he necessarily say he was, uh… The fact he read doesn’t necessarily mean that he... couldn’t prove that he belonged to it. I read quite a bit about this subject. I don’t know what you’re talking about, but I read interviews from reporters from over in Russia all on this subject, that the, apparently they know quite a bit more about it than I do.

VOICE: Was there material found here that tied them directly to the case?

WADE: There’s no, there’s material that said he belonged to any group other than this Fair Play For Cuba that I know of.

VOICE: Nothing on the (unintelligible)?

WADE: There’s lots of material dealing with that movement, but...

VOICE: Henry, were you ever able to ascertain whether he was in Washington and took part in the House Un-American Activities Committee (unintelligible)?

WADE: Uh, I know nothing about that, it’s… I don’t think he told anybody he was, and I don’t know of any, not to my knowledge. Now, I assume someone has been trying to check that, but I don’t know anything on that, except...

VOICE: Did Ruby do that? Were you answering about Ruby or about Oswald?

WADE: No, this was, this was about Oswald, wasn’t it? I don’t know of anything on either one of them up there, for that matter. I believe that’s about it.

VOICE: Thank you, Henry.

WADE: Thank you.

VOICE: Mr Wade, I’d like to ask one more question. Why did you (unintelligible) last night, and why did you go over (unintelligible)?

WADE: Well, there’s a lot of reasons, probably the main one, I received a call from Paris, France and Stockholm, Sweden and nearly every foreign country asking me about this evidence, and I (unintelligible) from the newsmen in those countries asking...

VOICE: Did Robert Kennedy or anyone from his office (crosstalk)?

WADE: I’ve heard nothing from any of the, from Washington or any of the officials in this country on this matter. But I decided that, uh, I’ve heard, I had a number of newsmen call me from all over the world wanting to know why it wasn’t, and I thought, just my old mind decided it was a good idea. (unintelligible).

VOICE: Excuse me sir. Are you aware that the Justice Department before you made this announcement and before you came into the building tonight had said that a new evidence, or the evidence would all be released and given to newsmen?

WADE: No sir, I’m not familiar with that other than as I walked out the door or one of the, one of the, your men I think called me and told me that, uh, there’s something on that that they were considering that, but I was already had this up was coming out to see you, that had nothing to do with me getting this ready.

VOICE: Is there, is there, is there any doubt in your mind that if Oswald was tried, that you would have had him convicted by a jury with the evidence you had?

WADE: I don’t think that there’s any doubt in my mind that we’d have convicted him but of course you, you never know what, uh, we’ve had lots and lots of people we thought that somebody might hang the jury or something, but there’s no question in my mind...

VOICE: As far as you’re concerned the evidence you gave us you would, you could have convicted him?

WADE: I’ve sent people to the electric chair on less.

VOICE: This was more than enough.

VOICE: Will you seek the death penalty for Ruby?

VOICE: Even if he pleads guilty?

VOICE: Is it an automatic death penalty?

VOICE: Does the FBI have sufficient evidence?

WADE: I don’t know. I don’t know, I’m not, I don’t know what they have.

VOICE: Sir, do you know when you’ll process the Ruby case to the grand jury?

WADE: Within a week, I said. I might say on this, that uh, you asked about the penalty on this, this latter, this latter case was the assassination of a man under arrest, handcuffed, that, to me, is a very aggravated case that warrants the death penalty.

VOICE: Are you investigating the possibility…

WADE: A second assassination doesn’t help the first.

VOICE: Do you have a signed statement from Mr. Ruby (unintelligible)?

WADE: I haven’t seen any, but I think, uh…

(crosstalk)

VOICE: Are you investigating the possibility that Ruby might have killed Oswald because he feared Oswald might implicate him in some form?

WADE: I’m not investigating anything, I’m going to try whatever... I’ll try the case.

End Transcript

Reading Wade's presentation to the press above one must ask, how in the heck did this guy ever ascend to the position of Dallas D.A.?

That was embarrassingly inarticulate. 

Constant "uh, uhs ... ", stammering, disjointed sentences, winging broad information answers with incredibly premature fact checking.

This is no Clarence Darrow.

New Orleans D.A. Jim Garrison on the other hand WAS impressively articulate.

Even on a Clarence Darrow level imo. 

Garrison was extremely well read, well versed and well spoken even when answering questions spontaneously.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:50 PM, Denny Zartman said:

Corrections and additions are welcome. This was a little tougher because of the poor audio, many instances of crosstalk, and noise.

excellent!!!!

On 2/1/2021 at 10:44 PM, Vince Palamara said:
Dallas D.A. Henry Wade's controversial press conference 11/24/63 - Wade's awkward and suspicious comments and interchange with regard to Jack Ruby and the evidence...but especially Ruby.

Vince, I just came across a video you posted on You Tube. A French language clip of the comings and goings at Bethesda Naval hospital when JFK's body was brought there.

I have two questions regards a couple of observations of the video.

There are two artistic renderings that pop up so briefly you almost miss them. One is a full scene of Jackie Kennedy looking pensively out a window in what one assumes is a VIP waiting room on the higher floors of Bethesda and what looks like RFK, Kenny ODonnell and Robert McNamara in the room with her. Another is a closer up shot of this rendering where we see Ethel Kennedy ( I think ) sitting down at a table in this same room... and most curiously the side/back of a man sitting across from her. 

Do my eyes deceive me...or is this table sitting man holding a hyperdermic syringe and perhaps preparing this to use on perhaps Jackie Kennedy as a sedative?

If so, what a bizarre scene to paint.

Also, there are two video shots of enlisted Navy men lined up in a row in their white navy sailer caps and P Coats. I assume they are on duty in the hospital area during this arrival and autopsy of JFK's body there?

In the second clip of these navy enlisted men I think I see Dennis David! The fellow on the farthest right side of the line looks like David to me especially with his very big and stuck out ears?  Do you agree?

Interesting video that we of course have never seen as it was obviously filmed by a French film crew.

23 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Vince, I just came across a video you posted on You Tube. A French language clip of the comings and goings at Bethesda Naval hospital when JFK's body was brought there.

I have two questions regards a couple of observations of the video.

There are two artistic renderings that pop up so briefly you almost miss them. One is a full scene of Jackie Kennedy looking pensively out a window in what one assumes is a VIP waiting room on the higher floors of Bethesda and what looks like RFK, Kenny ODonnell and Robert McNamara in the room with her. Another is a closer up shot of this rendering where we see Ethel Kennedy ( I think ) sitting down at a table in this same room... and most curiously the side/back of a man sitting across from her. 

Do my eyes deceive me...or is this table sitting man holding a hyperdermic syringe and perhaps preparing this to use on perhaps Jackie Kennedy as a sedative?

If so, what a bizarre scene to paint.

Also, there are two video shots of enlisted Navy men lined up in a row in their white navy sailer caps and P Coats. I assume they are on duty in the hospital area during this arrival and autopsy of JFK's body there?

In the second clip of these navy enlisted men I think I see Dennis David! The fellow on the farthest right side of the line looks like David to me especially with his very big and stuck out ears?  Do you agree?

Interesting video that we of course have never seen as it was obviously filmed by a French film crew.

I agree on both accounts- he does look like Dennis David!

On 2/2/2021 at 7:12 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Why were Wade as well as Earle Cabell and Sheriff Decker guests of the Zumora Club (formerly the Anonymous Club until the Appalachian raid) on July 7, 1962.  Joseph Civello and Joe Campisi were prominent members at the weekly Thursday evening meeting at a house north of Love Field for drinks, dinner, discussion and an illegal game of poker.   Per the Dallas Italian American weekly newspaper.

They were there because they were on the take imo.  Decker was all the way back to the 30's and Benny Binion while he was Chief Deputy Sheriff.  They probably received their payments from a more upper level but were well aware of and familiar with Ruby, who likely paid off the vice squad guys (per one of his strippers).

Rambling thoughts from what I've read that seemed credible to me.  Still part speculation I realize.

The mafia has ties to the Dallas Police Department.

On 2/3/2021 at 1:41 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Reading Wade's presentation to the press above one must ask, how in the heck did this guy ever ascend to the position of Dallas D.A.?

That was embarrassingly inarticulate. 

Constant "uh, uhs ... ", stammering, disjointed sentences, winging broad information answers with incredibly premature fact checking.

This is no Clarence Darrow.

New Orleans D.A. Jim Garrison on the other hand WAS impressively articulate.

Even on a Clarence Darrow level imo. 

Garrison was extremely well read, well versed and well spoken even when answering questions spontaneously.

Wade was conservative