The Education Forum

Mysterious tape of JFK speaking with Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. about Vietnam

FWIW, this CIA document about Diem's assassination was de-classified in April of 2018.

It doesn't reveal anything about how much JFK knew, but I recall reading somewhere that JFK was visibly upset when he learned that Diem had been killed, and promptly walked out of a meeting.

Report reveals deeper CIA role in 1963 Vietnam coup and Diem’s assassination

Report reveals deeper CIA role in 1963 Vietnam coup and Diem’s assassination | intelNews.org

April 30, 2018

I'm not well versed on the on the Lodges.  But I thought the were East Coast Establishment Boston Brahmin from the early 1800's.  I thought Henry Cabot Lodge was the incumbent Senator who JFK defeated.  That JFK appointed Ambassador  to Vietnam as a conciliatory effort to him and the right.  A friend of the Dulles's?

Then he refused to answer JFK's communiqués regarding the proceedings.  Thus ensuring the outcome.  Did JFK appease the military after badgering him to placate them.  Then back off? 

Diem was supposed to fly to Europe to attend a conference, after which a coup would occur in his absence and Diem would then be physically safe in a fait accompli exile. For unknown reasons Diem walked off the plane, returned to his presidential offices and was shortly thereafter captured and killed. The dismay in Washington was based on the fact of Diem walking away from the plane. The following Honolulu Conference, reviewing US policy in Vietnam, felt the influence of Diem’s violent passing, and the drafts of NSAM 273 reflected a new state of affairs post-coup. That is to say, the crisis resulting from Diem’s violent death (as opposed to a smoother transition in exile) may have been intended to upend Kennedy’s withdrawal policy as expressed in NSAM 263.

12 hours ago, Jeff Carter said:

Diem was supposed to fly to Europe to attend a conference, after which a coup would occur in his absence and Diem would then be physically safe in a fait accompli exile. For unknown reasons Diem walked off the plane, returned to his presidential offices and was shortly thereafter captured and killed. The dismay in Washington was based on the fact of Diem walking away from the plane. The following Honolulu Conference, reviewing US policy in Vietnam, felt the influence of Diem’s violent passing, and the drafts of NSAM 273 reflected a new state of affairs post-coup. That is to say, the crisis resulting from Diem’s violent death (as opposed to a smoother transition in exile) may have been intended to upend Kennedy’s withdrawal policy as expressed in NSAM 263.

I've heard that "official" argument-- i.e., that NSAM 263, allegedly, had to be revised in Honolulu because of Diem's death.  Prouty also mentioned that the NSAM 273 draft from Honolulu was dated 11/21/63.

Michael Clark on March 15 posted a video in the Forum's Watergate topic of the testimony of Howard Hunt before the Senate Watergate Committee in 1973. Hunt's testimony before the committee covered a large number of subjects. Among these was the the fabrication of cables by Hunt upon the direction of Charles Colson of cables from Ambassador Lodge dealing with the overthrow of the the Diem regime in South Vietnam. 

Hunt testimony on this is illuminating. It can be found in this link starting at minute 4:52 and ending at 5:04. 

On 3/27/2021 at 9:07 PM, Ron Bulman said:

I'm not well versed on the on the Lodges.  But I thought the were East Coast Establishment Boston Brahmin from the early 1800's.  I thought Henry Cabot Lodge was the incumbent Senator who JFK defeated.  That JFK appointed Ambassador  to Vietnam as a conciliatory effort to him and the right.  A friend of the Dulles's?

Then he refused to answer JFK's communiqués regarding the proceedings.  Thus ensuring the outcome.  Did JFK appease the military after badgering him to placate them.  Then back off? 

The book George Bush: An unauthorized biography stated that Lodge was part of Bush's heavy Brown Brothers, Harriman/Skull and Bones Overtone.

http://tarpley.net/online-books/george-bush-the-unauthorized-biography/chapter-8b-the-bay-of-pigs-and-the-kennedy-assassination/