The Education Forum

MFA lends JFK painting to President Biden

MFA lends JFK painting to President Biden: ‘It’s a portrait of steadiness and a portrait of listening’

By Natachi Onwuamaegbu Globe Correspondent,Updated March 12, 2021, 12:08 p.m.
"Portrait of John F. Kennedy" was painted by Jamie Wyeth and completed in 1967."Portrait of John F. Kennedy" was painted by Jamie Wyeth and completed in 1967.MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS, BOSTON

Before it landed at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts, a certain portrait of John F. Kennedy with his stoic stare hung over President Biden’s fireplace for the eight years he was vice president. After a four-year stay in Boston, the Kennedy portrait was sent back to Washington, D.C., a few weeks ago. This time it hangs in a private study off the Oval Office.

According to the MFA, the painting was lent following a personal request from President Biden. “We’re pleased that we can help support the new president,” said Ethan Lasser, the MFA’s Art of the Americas chair, “and that he values works of art.” (As of press time, a White House spokesperson was checking whether the president wanted to comment.)

It's encouraging to know that Joe Biden so admires John F. Kennedy.

Does anyone know of any Biden statements about the Warren Commission Report or the JFK Records Act?

I am delighted to see this. I was a bit uncomfortable with the bust he's had of just RFK behind him a couple of times.

What a gorgeous painting too...

51 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Does anyone know of any Biden statements about the Warren Commission Report or the JFK Records Act?

Dare we hope?

57 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

I was encouraged about his public display in the Oval office of busts of RFK, MLK, Rosa Parks, Cesar Chavez and more.  This is even more so. 

Awesome. Previously I had thought the official JFK portrait, the one where his head's tilted down, arms folded across his chest, was by Wyeth. Similar style, but painted by Aaron Shikler. I don't cotton to that one as much.

Edited by George Govus
accuracy

Man, Wyeth was  talented. Its not easy to suggest states of mind in a painting.

Edited by James DiEugenio