The Education Forum

The Devil is in the Details: Malcolm Blunt

Thanks Adam. 

I agree that Betsy really did some wonderful work.  And its been hidden all these years.  As I said in my review her work was a milestone in the field of Oswald studies. The late Phil Melanson said, he wanted Spy Saga to end up as a Cliff Notes version of Oswald. And that is what has happened. As  The Devil is in the Details states, the bookends on Oswald, that is the rigging of his files in 1959, plus the Jane Roman story about  Oswald's file being closely held on a need to know basis in October of 1963, that is just invaluable stuff. Which I don't think anyone would have foreseen before the ARRB opened up.

Anthony, yes he is still having them, but he is out of the hospital now. He had to give up the daily running of ROKC to Stan Dane as I understand. But he still posts there. I really look forward to that interview next week.

Me and Randy Robertson are on BOR this week.  I talk a bit about Malcolm and the book.

Edited by James DiEugenio

The other thing about The Devil is in the Details, well about ten other things really, but its what Malcolm found out about UACB.

This was the marking on certain pieces of evidence which denoted that the FBI was not supposed to follow that lead:Unless Authority Communicated from Bureau.

And he said this was stamped on within 48 hours.  Amazing find which shows just how determined Hoover was to stop any real inquiry, and how he must have known a real inquiry would have ended in something he did not want to discover. This was probably from the Mexico City charade, which he knew about so quickly.

I drew that supplementary parallel with Bill Turner, who told me the same thing about what he figured out by looking at some of the early reports.  This is how I think they covered up 544 Camp Street. And also done to keep the Minox out of Oswald's dead hands.  Can you imagine, but its true, Bugliosi writes in this piece of garbage book that there was no indication of an FBI cover up in the JFK case.  God Vince, you were so full of it.

BTW, another parallel which I did not name is what happened in the RFK case about the Girl in the Polka Dot Dress. Manny Pena wrote on those reports: False Lead Do not Follow.

Edited by James DiEugenio

This book presents me with a (nice) problem.  I've finally finished reading Rob Couteau's work that resulted in Murder Most Foul by Stanley Marks resurfacing.  And just started JFK vs Allen Dulles by Dr. Poulgrain.  Next was Vince Palamara's latest work.  Now this.  All potentially excellent historical work on the subject.  Should I skip ahead just for a chapter or two in ...  

May take me through summer to digest it all.  But thanks to all for their work.

Hey Ron,  that is a pretty good line up if you ask me.

I should find the thread on JFK vs Dulles and not distract from this one on Uncle Malcom.  But I was both intimidated by the number of names I've never heard of in the List of Names (26 pages) and enlightened regarding a couple I did.  I never knew how far back Allen Dulles and George De Mohrenschildt went.  To when George was a child and Allen visited his dad over oil during the Russian revolution.  This sheds a new light on George's role regarding Oswald.  Just from the Names Index! 

I found that interesting also.  I don't think Greg actually nails it down but makes a good circumstantial case for the knowing each other from the fifties.

You combine that with Dulles and Mary Bancroft, then you have to wonder : Did Dulles set up the handoff from George to Ruth and Michael in 1963?

A topic such as this is so long overdue. I should honestly post up my notes from my listening (literally tons of times) of Dale’a Show with Blunt. It is absolutely *required* reading and listening.

I got the book right away even though it’s interesting because much of my notes are verbatim copies of Dale/Blunt’s words with time stamps (since it’s audio). I listen to all of Dale’s audios with blunt at least 3-5x a year. It never, ever gets dull. It’s also my source for the incredible Joan Higdon information from the HSCA. I’d kill to know what “explosive” information those 2 investigators learned. Either way, excellent review Jim and Blunt is just next level, period. Doug Campbell also did a relatively recent show with Alan Dale that is absolutely worth listening to and certainly relevant to this very topic and discussion:

image.jpeg.9a4fd19465f66533a0e11c17199f06e3.jpeg

#179~ January 15, 2021: "Devils, Details, And Dialogue: A Conversation With Alan Dale, Of The Assassination Archives & Research Center."

Edited by B. A. Copeland
Image editing (under construction)

Just two things out of many, from my review.

Within 48 hours Hoover and Tolson had a code out for the cover up UACB.  Which means that certain leads would not be followed unless there was clearance from above. 

Second, the truly amazing work of Betsy Wolf on the Oswald file.  Which is not in the HSCA volumes, even though she worked for them. What that woman did I think is a quantum leap in how to look at Oswald.  Malcolm sent me her raw notes.  What an investigator.  She went from the ground up trying to figure out why there was no 201 file on Oswald and why his files went to OS instead of SR, where she learned they should have gone.

• 1 month later...

On 3/22/2021 at 7:40 PM, James DiEugenio said:

The guy is a treasure trove of new information.

A treasure trove indeed, and then there's his great sense of British wit. My favorite Malcom Blunt exchange so far: 

ALAN DALE: Ed Volz ... told Reeves [that] de Mohrenschildt was sleeping with Marina [Oswald]....

MALCOLM BLUNT: You'd think he'd stay awake.

😃

Nice one Rob. 👏