The Education Forum

Major Secret Service book coming 5/18/21 from renowned Pulitzer Prize winning author Carol Leonnig ZERO FAIL- I better be mentioned!

81NdWmk6aUL.jpg
She is starting with the failure of the Secret Service on 11/22/63. Well, I have three books written between 2013-2018 on this subject (Survivor's Guilt, The Not-So-Secret Service, and Who's Who in the Secret Service [not including two other books in 2015 and 2021]), not to mention three prominent television/DVD/Blu Ray appearances: The Men Who Killed Kennedy (2003, on You Tube ever since, and on Newsmax TV 2019-2020), A Coup in Camelot (2016 and available on Amazon Prime ever since), and the DVD about renowned agent Robert DeProspero called  The Man Behind The Suit (Associate Producer; also on You Tube) [not including the credits to the DVD JFK: The Final Hours]. I am also on a 2021 Channel 5 UK documentary.

In addition, I am mentioned in books by former Secret Service agents Tom Sloan (Guardians of Democracy), Gary Byrne (Secrets of the Secret Service), Gerald Blaine (The Kennedy Detail and the documentary, albeit unnamed) and Dan Emmett (original edition of Within Arm's Length), not to mention Professor Philip Melanson's major book on the Secret Service called The Secret Service: The Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency (2003; updated 2005). I am also mentioned in the Assassination Records Review Board's Final Report from 1998 (regarding my Secret Service interviews), not to mention renowned author Mark Lane's book Last Word (Secret Service chapters), as well as over 150 other author's books (including two whole chapters in Murder in Dealey Plaza, a mention in Larry Sabato's 2013 work The Kennedy Half-Century [regarding Blaine] and being mentioned on 16 pages of  Jesse Ventura's 2013 book entitled They Killed Our President).

I also appeared alongside former agents Gerald Blaine and Clint Hill [via video] on C-SPAN in 2010 (also a DVD and on You Tube ever since) and Clint Hill himself further mentioned me in another C-SPAN appearance in 2012 (also a DVD and on You Tube ever since).

Last but certainly not least, I am mentioned a couple times in a prominent 10/17/2014 Vanity Fair article entitled Could The Secret Service Have Saved J.F.K.? which has been online ever since, as well as a directly related Irish Central article from 11/18/18 that has been online ever since. In fact, I am even in the bibliography of the book written by the author of the article, Susan Cheever, entitled Drinking in America-Our Secret History. Finally, I was mentioned several times in a major February 2010 COINage Magazine article about the Secret Service which included input from Secret Service officials.

Oh, and another thing: my work is very prominently featured all over the internet (multiple blogs, You Tube, etc.), including mentions in five Wikipedia Secret Service related entries.

I interviewed and corresponded with approximately 80 former agents + family members, not to mention many other principal people of importance.

Edited by Vince Palamara

Her book sounds interesting. I read in the description that it will cover "a hobbled agency that’s in desperate need of reform" and I could not help but be reminded of the numerous embarrassing news reports about the Secret Service that I have read over the past decade or so. Drunk agents found passed out on the street. Agents involved with cocaine and hookers in South American countries. People getting into the White House when Obama was in office. Just embarrassing stuff.

Vince, off-topic: Do you remember the name of that JFK-related independent film that was shot in the Pittsburgh area, probably before 2010?  If I recall the plot, a veteran becomes a committed CT-er, while his family and his pals at the VFW (or wherever) try to convince him he's deluded.  Meanwhile, sinister forces...

Edited by David Andrews

3 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

well-if she doesnt mention your work that will probably come up in the reviews. But I wouldnt make too big a thing if she doesnt. your work stands on its own 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Vince, off-topic: Do you remember the name of that JFK-related independent film that was shot in the Pittsburgh area, probably before 2010?  If I recall the plot, a veteran becomes a committed CT-er, while his family and his pals at the VFW (or wherever) try to convince him he's deluded.  Meanwhile, sinister forces...

Hahaha---no; I never heard that one.

17 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

Hahaha---no; I never heard that one.

I swear, it was filmed in the Pgh suburbs.  I remember people writing about it on the Forum.

EDIT: Here it is, The Umbrella Man, 2014.  The makers are from New York State, but the article relates Pittsburgh connections.

https://www.uticaod.com/article/20150928/NEWS/150929464

"Set in 1983 Pittsburgh, PA, Peter and Annie Brennan face the tragic death of their young son. The boy's death and the subsequent acquittal of his killer, kindles a conspiratorial paranoia in Peter that threatens his sanity, and marriage. While trying to discover more about the killer of his son, Brennan becomes fixated on the story of The Umbrella Man, a suspected shooter in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. His descent into the underworld of conspiracy theorist sub-culture provides a place of emotional refuge for Peter, yet also contributes to his psychological undoing. From a Moose Lodge in Swissvale PA, to Dealey Plaza in Dallas, Texas, The Umbrella Man is one couple's story of love, loss, and the 'against all odds' survival of their relationship."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2413958/

Edited by David Andrews

53 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

I swear, it was filmed in the Pgh suburbs.  I remember people writing about it on the Forum.

EDIT: Here it is, The Umbrella Man, 2014.  The makers are from New York State, but the article relates Pittsburgh connections.

https://www.uticaod.com/article/20150928/NEWS/150929464

"Set in 1983 Pittsburgh, PA, Peter and Annie Brennan face the tragic death of their young son. The boy's death and the subsequent acquittal of his killer, kindles a conspiratorial paranoia in Peter that threatens his sanity, and marriage. While trying to discover more about the killer of his son, Brennan becomes fixated on the story of The Umbrella Man, a suspected shooter in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. His descent into the underworld of conspiracy theorist sub-culture provides a place of emotional refuge for Peter, yet also contributes to his psychological undoing. From a Moose Lodge in Swissvale PA, to Dealey Plaza in Dallas, Texas, The Umbrella Man is one couple's story of love, loss, and the 'against all odds' survival of their relationship."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2413958/

Ohhh--I know OF that one, but I have never seen it.

• 2 weeks later...

An article about the book:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/11/trump-family-members-secret-service

It said this:

"the president did repeatedly seek to remove Secret Service staff he deemed to be overweight or too short for the job." “I want these fat guys off my detail,” Trump is reported to have said, possibly confusing office-based personnel with active agents. “How are they going to protect me and my family if they can’t run down the street?”

LOL

18 hours ago, John Deignan said:

Ron I agree with you. 

I am very disappointed that someone of her pedigree would fall for that mythology. I spoke to and corresponded with many of the agents years before her book was even a thought and they all denounced the JFK-ordered-us-off-the-car crapola.