The Education Forum

Stemmons access from Main

On 5/5/2021 at 12:12 AM, Robin Unger said:
Title: Underpass from Industrial Boulevard, Dallas, Texas
Creator: Squire Haskins Photography, Inc. (Photographer)
Description: Underpass from Industrial Blvd., Dallas.
Date Created: 1952-05-29Dallas_1952.jpg?fbclid=IwAR2NnQljG0m7UKg

As this picture is dated 1952 I started wondering about when I-35 East/Stemmons was built.  I knew the Interstate Highway system came about during the Eisenhower administration.  From what I found I-35E existed in some form by 1959.  Another place said Stemmons was completed in the early 60's.  Another mentioned construction of a median barrier beginning in Novemberr 1963.

It's notable in the 1952 picture the Main/Elm meridian extends way farther than just past the triple overpass.  Also as an aside the intersection of Main and Industrial at the bottom of the picture is where in 1947 (?) Paul Rowlan Jones formerly of Chicago told new sheriff Steve Guthrie the mob was going to build a two story supper club with dining and dancing down stairs and gambling upstairs.  And that it would be managed by Jack Ruby.

I stumbled across this about Stemmons and JFK looking around.  Interesting, but some really good pictures.

Dallas-Fort-Worth-Freeways-book-05-20140803.pdf (dallasfreeways.com)

Edited by Ron Bulman

On 5/5/2021 at 1:22 AM, Joseph McBride said:

The wooden ramp is often discussed as a lost option and would

have worked well and have been easy to construct, barely a bump

as they drove over it. But of course the Secret Service, O'Donnell,

Locke, et al wanted to drive JFK down Elm Street to kill him.

I thought the same thing, the obstacle could have been easily overcome. By "O'Donnell" do you mean Kenneth O'Donnell? 

On 5/8/2021 at 11:58 PM, Ron Bulman said:

As this picture is dated 1952 I started wondering about when I-35 East/Stemmons was built.  I knew the Interstate Highway system came about during the Eisenhower administration.  From what I found I-35E existed in some form by 1959.  Another place said Stemmons was completed in the early 60's.  Another mentioned construction of a median barrier beginning in Novemberr 1963.

It's notable in the 1952 picture the Main/Elm meridian extends way farther than just past the triple overpass.  Also as an aside the intersection of Main and Industrial at the bottom of the picture is where in 1947 (?) Paul Rowlan Jones formerly of Chicago told new sheriff Steve Guthrie the mob was going to build a two story supper club with dining and dancing down stairs and gambling upstairs.  And that it would be managed by Jack Ruby.

I stumbled across this about Stemmons and JFK looking around.  Interesting, but some really good pictures.

Dallas-Fort-Worth-Freeways-book-05-20140803.pdf (dallasfreeways.com)

Ron, what a great piece of research your link leads to, someone really has plumbed the depths of freeway/signage research-with some new (to me) pics thrown in too! Amazing, thanks for sharing 

On 5/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, Sean Coleman said:

Ron, what a great piece of research your link leads to, someone really has plumbed the depths of freeway/signage research-with some new (to me) pics thrown in too! Amazing, thanks for sharing 

Thanks for noticing.