The Education Forum

Marilyn, Sinatra, and RFK

10 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

I find this odd, as it downplays what others have said was a catastrophic last weekend at the Cal Neva lodge for Marilyn.  

At the same time, it would make sense that Sinatra had some knowledge of what really happened...though that seems to be sidestepped as well...

Looks like some kind of diversion book...

According to Oppedisano, the movie star and singer "were close friends but not lovers."  

According to biographer James Kaplan (Frank: The Voice; Sinatra: The Chairman) Sinatra and Monroe were friends with benefits before-during-after the DiMaggio marriage.  When DiMaggio was separated from Monroe and drunkenly wanted to paste the guy he thought was sleeping with her, Sinatra knew where to lead him because he had installed Monroe in that apartment himself.  

Edited by David Andrews

• 1 year later...

This isn't a RFK comment. It was just the most recent reference to the Cal Neva  Lodge I could find.

I just thought people might be interested. The Cal Neva lodge, which from the time I first saw it at 18 years old, I thought was kind of a dump,though it was never in a glitzy neighborhood , despite all the star power at one time behind it, and then all the eventual history we've come to read.

Well for the last 10 years, it's been shut down. It was owned by billionaire Larry Ellison. Now some new people have bought it and they are going to open it again!

https://www.sfgate.com/renotahoe/article/lake-tahoe-cal-neva-resort-sold-17883366.php

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

On 6/8/2021 at 5:38 PM, David Andrews said:

According to Oppedisano, the movie star and singer "were close friends but not lovers."  

According to biographer James Kaplan (Frank: The Voice; Sinatra: The Chairman) Sinatra and Monroe were friends with benefits before-during-after the DiMaggio marriage.  When DiMaggio was separated from Monroe and drunkenly wanted to paste the guy he thought was sleeping with her, Sinatra knew where to lead him because he had installed Monroe in that apartment himself.  

Could you expand?

Are you saying Sinatra was doing Monroe before during and after her marriage to Joltin Joe? And DiMaggio wanted to "paste" Sinatra for this?

It is true DiMaggio forbade Sinatra from attending Monroe's funeral...correct?

DiMaggio hating Sinatra for doing his wife would make sense.

8 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Could you expand?

Are you saying Sinatra was doing Monroe before during and after her marriage to Joltin Joe? And DiMaggio wanted to "paste" Sinatra for this?

It is true DiMaggio forbade Sinatra from attending Monroe's funeral...correct?

DiMaggio hating Sinatra for doing his wife would make sense.

I'll look at Kaplan and do a re-Kap soon - but, yes, Kaplan has them together before Joe and after Joe.  Two things I recall: that picture of them on Sinatra's boat, acting all lovey-dovey over a copy of Life magazine, was indeed on a lovey-dovey, "We hate our spouses," cruise, with the photos calculated to provoke; and Sinatra instigated the famous "wrong door raid" by him and Joe on Monroe's apartment (in a building Sinatra owned) because he was ticked at her for leaving Joe. 

Friends with benefits.  A thing utterly unknown in Hollywood, some would say.

DiMag had Sinatra barred from the funeral.  You gotta be really bad to get that.

Edited by David Andrews

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

I'll look at Kaplan and do a re-Kap soon - but, yes, Kaplan has them together before Joe and after Joe.  Two things I recall: that picture of them on Sinatra's boat, acting all lovey-dovey over a copy of Life magazine, was indeed on a lovey-dovey, "We hate our spouses," cruise, with the photos calculated to provoke; and Sinatra instigated the famous "wrong door raid" by him and Joe on Monroe's apartment (in a building Sinatra owned) because he was ticked at her for leaving Joe. 

Friends with benefits.  A thing utterly unknown in Hollywood, some would say.

DiMag had Sinatra barred from the funeral.  You gotta be really bad to get that.

I once watched a video of Frank Sinatra in front of a Nevada gaming commission board while they were grilling him about his background before they decided to give his Cal-Neva Lodge the permit go ahead or not.

For the first time I thought I saw the real dark side of him. He was surly, defiant,  angry and even coldly intimidating as any mob boss.

He was actually scary in his tough guy talk and  look. A far cry from his warm and smiling stage and public personae.