The Education Forum

Gordon Liddy: How His Personal Ambition Led to Watergate

Doug, have you watched any of this new STARZ TV drama series "GASLIT?"

If so, any comments on how accurately or inaccurately G. Gordon Liddy, James McCord, Hunt, Dean and Mitchell are portrayed in the show?

How about the Watergate break-in itself.

One expects Hollywood character, dialogue and story line manipulation for dramatic effect.

Even so, I am just curious how close to the real characters and Watergate break-in story this series is depicting.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Mr. Caddy,

Thank you for this revealing expose` of Liddy. This was the kind of information I alluded to in the GASLIT thread on this forum.

I read Liddy's book, WILL, and I thought it made him sound like a pompous. self-serving ass. Your recollections have confirmed my conclusions.

Again, thank you for your contributions to this forum.

I've not read it all yet but thanks as well.  Liddy was an admirer of hitler, like our most recent former prez?  Did Liddy know the chump?  

"All because of one man’s (Liddy's) disastrous decision that was motivated solely by his personal ambition."

Oh, come. If the other 68 people had not willingly done what they did, there would be no Watergate. 

E. Howard Hunt was an adult, and committed more errors of spycraft in one Watergate day than most do in career.

Agnew resigned for reasons unrelated to Watergate. 

Nixon asked after the burglars were arrested if they had BeBe ReBozo's phone number in their little phone books, which as "spies" they carried on them. 

Besides all that, someone was responsible for hiring Liddy and keeping him on staff. A captain is responsible for what the crew does. Liddy did not exactly hide his personality or inclinations. 

Ultimately, Nixon assembled the team in the White House. An undoubtably smart fellow Nixon was, but he failed as a White House administrator, having delegated those duties to others. 

Th horrifying irony is, Watergate was a minor Nixon sin. Nixon perpetuated the unwinnable counterproductive war in SE Asia for at least four years, causing millions of deaths and untold oceans of human carnage and anguish, so he could improve his reelection chances. 

Side note: Nixon asked to see the CIA's Bay of Pigs files, and the CIA never gave him the files. 

So there were files the elected President of the US could not see. 

14 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Doug, have you watched any of this new STARZ TV drama series "GASLIT?"

If so, any comments on how accurately or inaccurately G. Gordon Liddy, James McCord, Hunt, Dean and Mitchell are portrayed in the show?

How about the Watergate break-in itself.

One expects Hollywood character, dialogue and story line manipulation for dramatic effect.

Even so, I am just curious how close to the real characters and Watergate break-in story this series is depicting.

Joe: I have not yet seen 'Gaslit" but hope to do so. I knew Hunt, Liddy, Dean and McCord. I never met AG Mitchell. What bothers me about him is that he was Attorney General in January 1972 when Liddy presented his bizarre intelligence gathering plan aimed at the Democrats to him, which he rejected. He was also the campaign manager for Nixon's reelection. Apparently he saw no conflict of interest in holding both posts, which I find astounding. Had he resigned in January as AG and devoted his full time attention to the campaign as its manager, it is unlikely Liddy could have achieved the power that he did. The picture that emerges is a White House that was asleep at the wheel, creating the perfect environment for Liddy to act out his craziness.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Thanks for responding Doug C.

I just read your Gorden Liddy post above.

Fascinating stuff. 

Edited by Joe Bauer

Robert Bennett succeeded Larry O'Brien in representing Howard Hughes' interests in Washington. Bennett became president of the Mullen Company in late 1971. Here is an excerpt from the July 10, 1973, "Memorandum for the Record by Martin Lukosie, a CIA employee: Subject - Meeting with Robert Foster Bennett and his Comments Concerning E. Howard Hunt, Douglas Caddy and the 'Watergate Five' incident....Mr. Bennett rather proudly related that he is responsible for the article 'Whispers About Colson' that appeared in the March 5 issue of Newsweek. Mr. Bennett does not believe the [Mullen] company will be bothered much by the news media which is concluding that 'the company is clean and has gotten a bum rap while the real culprits are scot free.' Mr. Bennett said also that he has been feeding stories to Bob Woodward of the Washington Post with the understanding that there will be not attribution to Bennett. Woodward is suitably grateful for the fine stories and by-lines which he gets and protects Bennett and the Mullen Company. Typical is the article 'Hunt Tried to Recruit Agent to Probe Senator Kennedy's Life' on page A16 of Saturday, February 10, 1973, Washington Post. Bennett mentioned the February 11, 1973 meeting between himself, [Robert]Mullen and [deleted], when he stated his opinion that the Ervin Committee investigating the Watergate incident would not involve the [Mullen] company. He said that, if necessary he would have his father, Senator Bennett of Utah, intercede with Senator Ervin. His conclusion is that he could handle the Ervin Committee if the Agency can handle Howard Hunt." 

[Note: Robert Bennett subsequently succeeded his father as the U.S. Senator from Utah.]

[Note: The CIA incorporated the Robert Mullen Company in 1959.]

On 5/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, Douglas Caddy said:

Robert Bennett succeeded Larry O'Brien in representing Howard Hughes' interests in Washington. Bennett became president of the Mullen Company in late 1971. Here is an excerpt from the July 10, 1973, "Memorandum for the Record by Martin Lukosie, a CIA employee: Subject - Meeting with Robert Foster Bennett and his Comments Concerning E. Howard Hunt, Douglas Caddy and the 'Watergate Five' incident....Mr. Bennett rather proudly related that he is responsible for the article 'Whispers About Colson' that appeared in the March 5 issue of Newsweek. Mr. Bennett does not believe the [Mullen] company will be bothered much by the news media which is concluding that 'the company is clean and has gotten a bum rap while the real culprits are scot free.' Mr. Bennett said also that he has been feeding stories to Bob Woodward of the Washington Post with the understanding that there will be not attribution to Bennett. Woodward is suitably grateful for the fine stories and by-lines which he gets and protects Bennett and the Mullen Company. Typical is the article 'Hunt Tried to Recruit Agent to Probe Senator Kennedy's Life' on page A16 of Saturday, February 10, 1973, Washington Post. Bennett mentioned the February 11, 1973 meeting between himself, [Robert]Mullen and [deleted], when he stated his opinion that the Ervin Committee investigating the Watergate incident would not involve the [Mullen] company. He said that, if necessary he would have his father, Senator Bennett of Utah, intercede with Senator Ervin. His conclusion is that he could handle the Ervin Committee if the Agency can handle Howard Hunt." 

[Note: Robert Bennett subsequently succeeded his father as the U.S. Senator from Utah.]

[Note: The CIA incorporated the Robert Mullen Company in 1959.]
24K views4 years ago

From our WFAA Newsfilm Collection: BillOReilly interviews former spy, Frank Sturgis, to discuss the CIA, Watergate, & the ...