Morris, another superb interviewer, says he believes in

saying as little as possible, because his job as interviewer

is getting the subject to talk (he also says if you let anyone

talk uninterrupted for 30 minutes, they will reveal they are

crazy). Occasionally an interviewer needs to redirect the 

flow of reminiscences and so forth, but you want the subjects

to tell their story without leading questions and other interruptions

as much as possible.

Well stated!  No matter what your suspicions and beliefs, you have to learn to "shut up!"  So you start with pages of notes (and questions you wish to ask), but then you must "elicit" the information; by asking the question that (you hope) will "jog" the witness' memory. 

A comical counter-example --of how NOT to question a witness -- is offered by the late Harrison Livingstone, who practically browbeat the witness, in the spirit of "Now you did it, didn't ya?"     

See B.E., Chapter 16, for the transcript of my questioning of casket team member Hubert Clark.  Casket team member James Felder (his superior) had already told me that there were two ambulances, one was called "the decoy", and that the navy was involved in a deception.  When I spoke to Clark, I felt it was critically important that I not be the first to say "decoy."  So I carefully probed, determined not to say "decoy" first.   No luck.  So I thought: "OK, I'll have to say it first, and see how he reacts."  And just about that moment, he exclaimed (something like), "Wait a minute!  Now I remember!  There was a decoy!"  It was one of the most exciting moments of my JFK research.  (See Chapter 16 of B.E.)  DSL (6/2/22 - 5:50 AM PDT)

Edited by David Lifton

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/30/2022 at 10:51 PM, Joseph McBride said:

This frustrating interview led me to re-read Clark's helpful

book. David Lifton is an excellent interviewer, as we know from

the invaluable quotes he drew from his sources and the

way we see him work on his BEST EVIDENCE video. Documentary filmmaker Errol

Morris, another superb interviewer, says he believes in

saying as little as possible, because his job as interviewer

is getting the subject to talk (he also says if you let anyone

talk uninterrupted for 30 minutes, they will reveal they are

crazy). Occasionally an interviewer needs to redirect the 

flow of reminiscences and so forth, but you want the subjects

to tell their story without leading questions and other interruptions

as much as possible.

As an attendee at numerous JFK conventions and JFK-related functions I can vouch that the JFK research community is not a healthy lot. When my wife and I first got together, she accompanied me to a Lancer Conference. By the second day she refused to leave the room. Guys with uncombed combovers would come up to me and say "So I saw your presentation. You think the government lied. Well let me tell you who was behind it all: Ari Onassis." And then go on and on about Onassis. At a local presentation, a guy came up to me to ask about my research--supposedly. Within a minute or so he had changed gears and decided to convince me we were all being poisoned by chemtrails. When my wife and I left the presentation he got between my open door and the car, and wouldn't let me shut the door until he had his say. After about ten minutes, I said we had to go, and was able to move him aside. He then chased our car across the parking lot and into the street while pointing at the sky and yelling "See! They're right there! Why can't people see them?" or some such thing.

In short, too many "researchers" are really wide-eyed theorists, desperate not to find pieces to a puzzle, but to cram whatever pieces are leftover into the puzzle they think they've put together. To others it may look like a jumble, but in their mind, it all fits. 

Edited by Pat Speer

5 hours ago, David Lifton said:

No. Galloway's superior (Adm. Kenney) was the head of "BuMed" --the Navy's Bureau of Medicine and Surgery. That unit (aka "BuMed") was in charge of all Navy medical facilities, whether Navy Hospitals on land or on ships at sea.  (I once traced the naval lines of authority, laid out in the official organization charts available at UCLA's Research Library, in the USG/Government Organization Manual). That individual --the chief of BuMed -- was Admiral Edward Kenney.  So. . .who was "below" Adm. Kenney?   As I recall: Galloway was CO of NNMC/Bethesda. . . "National Naval Medical Center/Bethesda)".  There was one other significant individual on the naval chain of command --the CO of Bethesda Naval Hospital: Capt. John Stover.   He reported to "Captain Canada."  To recap: to the best of my recollection: the naval line of authority went from Adm. Kenney, to Adm. Galloway; to Captain Canada, to Capt. Stover.  Adm. Burkley, the White House Physician, "outranked" everyone, because he reported directly to POTUS, as I recall.  DSL (6/2/22 -5:20 AM PDT)

Well now that is good stuff! I wanna thank you tremendously Dave.Burkley was the man on campus as far as the Navy is concerned.We heard alot of "familly wishes" along the way.Back then there was probably a different chain of command.Robert was the Attorney General which would probably rank him over the military.

I'm also trying to figure out the chain of command below LBJ until you reach the Secret Service,CIA,FBI & the Military.IMHO LBJ did not give the orders himself to the above,but had someone else do it.I'm not asking you to do the work BTW.