The Education Forum

Clint Hill and the boys sure seem to be suffering from that day, huh (the 200 dollar JFK Pez dispenser is an interesting touch)?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few JFK and RFK related items.

An RFK 1968 presidential primary campaign button.

Two 1968 RFK California primary campaign donation thank you letters. Pre-printed form letters, unsigned. Supposedly scooped up with other campaign material from the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles the night of June 5th, 1968.

Some other items.

A record or two of JFK. One great speeches, the other a comedy record of JFK impersonator Vaughn Meador.

Books.

Picture book of Jackie Kennedy.

17 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

OK, upon re-reading the thread, it seems y'all are horrified that anyone would sign something that might be in bad taste.

But there's a double-standard at work. Several JFK researchers have made small bundles selling images of the autopsy photos. Buell Frazier sold autographed paper bags. And Dr. McClelland sold crappy drawings supposedly showing the location of Kennedy's wounds, that were in total opposition to his previous statements. I'm unaware of anyone expressing outrage over this.

Making money off tragedy is an American tradition. People go to Little Big Horn to see where fate caught up with Custer. People go to Jesse James' house in St. Joe MO to see the bullet hole in the wall from when he was killed. Only they don't get to see the bullet hole. They see a large hole made by numerous tourists over the years who cut the original hole and then numerous expanded holes, from the wall. I myself have (somewhere) a piece of the house Sharon Tate was slaughtered in. People are freakin' morbid. And other people enjoy making money off their morbidity. 

I agree that none of these guys should be signing these photos and still-frame copies.  I find this to be in poor taste.

On a side note Pat, I would love to own a piece of the house at 10050 Cielo Drive.

12 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

I was invited to meet the band X at a store in Silver Lake called You've Got Bad Taste. I felt like I should buy something to support the store. They were selling small pieces of the walls to the house on Cielo Drive which some enterprising lad had scooped up after the house was demolished. I think I paid 2 bucks for it. I have no idea where it is at this point. In the world of creepy collectibles, that's a trifle. There were dozens if not hundreds of people who scooped up John Wayne Gacy clown paintings after his conviction as a serial killer. And then of course there's Henry Ford and son, who snatched up 1) Lincoln's stained chair from Ford's Theatre, 2) Edison's last breath, and 3) the JFK assassination limousine, for the family museum in Dearborn, Michigan. And, oh yeah, let's not forget our friend John Lattimer, who paid something like $10,000 bucks (over a 100k in today's money) for Napoleon's shriveled penis. Of course, he also spent small fortunes on Lincoln and JFK assassination related materials such as Oswald's military score book. 

Thanks for the info, Pat. You answered my question (and then some). 🙂

My biggest "collectible" would be the 13 Cincinnati Reds player autographs that I collected in 1972 (during the "Big Red Machine" days).

I should really have gone down to Cincinnati to scoop up a few hunks of Riverfront Stadium right after it was imploded in December 2002. Maybe that would have helped me to keep my vivid memories of that stadium alive in future years. (Most people now seem to have nothing but hatred for the "concrete donut" type ballparks like Riverfront. But it was like a second home to me all throughout the 1970s and 1980s.) 🙂

3 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

My biggest "collectible" would be the 13 Cincinnati Reds player autographs that I collected in 1972 (during the "Big Red Machine" days).

I should really have gone down to Cincinnati to scoop up a few hunks of Riverfront Stadium right after it was imploded in December 2002. Maybe that would have helped me to keep my vivid memories of that stadium alive in future years. (Most people now seem to have nothing but hatred for the "concrete donut" type ballparks like Riverfront. But it was like a second home to me all throughout the 1970s and 1980s.) 🙂

I'm with ya, David.  I miss Riverfront Stadium.  The blue seats, green seats, yellow seats and red seats combined with the green Astroturf made it all very colorful.  Not to mention the great memories of winning teams.

20 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

I agree that none of these guys should be signing these photos and still-frame copies.  I find this to be in poor taste.

On a side note Pat, I would love to own a piece of the house at 10050 Cielo Drive.

I live in Simi Valley, just on the other side of a ridge from the Chatsworth area of L.A. Near the crest of this ridge lies Spahn Ranch, the former home of the Manson Family. The site was eventually bought by a church and the buildings were torn down. But a friend of mine was roommates with a local historian, who showed him something that he in turn showed me. On a rock in a nearby creek bed where the "children" used to splash and play are the initials C.M. This local historian had spoken to some of the former residents and they swore these initials were carved by Charlie himself. I have no idea if this is true but the marks appeared to be quite old and were almost definitely not something that had been added recently. This was roughly 1995.  

In a related issue, when Tarantino filmed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the original location for Spahn Ranch was not available. So he faked it in a nearby park here in Simi that used to be a movie ranch, lastly owned by Bob Hope. This park is called Corriganville and I have hiked there probably a hundred times. 

So, for better or worse, Manson and his family have been in the background of my life since I was 8 years old, when I used to see them begging for change in Chatsworth. 

4 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

I'm with ya, David.  I miss Riverfront Stadium.  The blue seats, green seats, yellow seats and red seats combined with the green Astroturf made it all very colorful.  Not to mention the great memories of winning teams.

Ah, yes, Bill! I see now (just below your profile picture) that you're from Cincy. Nice! I was born in Richmond, Indiana, just 60 miles from Cincinnati. That's why I went to Riverfront so often. It was pretty close by.

Yes, I knew Riverfront like I did my own back yard. Did you ever save any of your Riverfront ticket stubs? I sure did. Still have them----CLICK. (That's not nearly all of them though. I have many more.)

More Riverfront Memories Here.

Also, Bill, you might want to check out my collection of Cincinnati Reds games that I have at my websites. 300+ Reds games and counting---with many Marty & Joe radio clips that I recorded myself in the '70s and '80s.

(Sorry for going off-topic. But it's fun to do that once in a while.)

4 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

Ah, yes, Bill! I see now (just below your profile picture) that you're from Cincy. Nice! I was born in Richmond, Indiana, just 60 miles from Cincinnati. That's why I went to Riverfront so often. It was pretty close by.

Yes, I knew Riverfront like I did my own back yard. Did you ever save any of your Riverfront ticket stubs? I sure did. Still have them----CLICK. (That's not nearly all of them though. I have many more.)

Also, Bill, you might want to check out my collection of Cincinnati Reds games that I have at my websites. 300+ Reds games and counting---with many Marty & Joe radio clips that I recorded myself in the '70s and '80s.

I didn't save any of the ticket stubs from Riverfront.  Between the Reds and the Bengals, I must have went to Riverfront at least sixty times over the years.  I prefer it over GABP (though I like the real grass over the Astroturf).

P.S. There will never be another Marty & Joe.

11 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

I live in Simi Valley, just on the other side of a ridge from the Chatsworth area of L.A. Near the crest of this ridge lies Spahn Ranch, the former home of the Manson Family. The site was eventually bought by a church and the buildings were torn down. But a friend of mine was roommates with a local historian, who showed him something that he in turn showed me. On a rock in a nearby creek bed where the "children" used to splash and play are the initials C.M. This local historian had spoken to some of the former residents and they swore these initials were carved by Charlie himself. I have no idea if this is true but the marks appeared to be quite old and were almost definitely not something that had been added recently. This was roughly 1995.  

In a related issue, when Tarantino filmed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the original location for Spahn Ranch was not available. So he faked it in a nearby park here in Simi that used to be a movie ranch, lastly owned by Bob Hope. This park is called Corriganville and I have hiked there probably a hundred times. 

So, for better or worse, Manson and his family have been in the background of my life since I was 8 years old, when I used to see them begging for change in Chatsworth. 

That's interesting stuff, Pat.  I'm into the Manson/Tate/LaBianca story almost as much as I am interested in the Kennedy assassination (almost).  I visited the top of Cielo Drive back in the summer of 2016.

Coincidentally, I just visited the location of Spahn Ranch on Santa Susanna Pass about six weeks ago.  Though I didn't step onto the grounds, I went by there because I just wanted to see it (though these days, there's really nothing to see unless you go hiking onto the property).  I've heard about the Manson rock you're referring to and I've heard that some of the lumber from the buildings can still be found out there, bulldozed over the hillside after the place caught fire in 1971 (I believe).

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was a great movie, imo.

Interesting to read your comments about Corriganville.  Good stuff.

23 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

As long as we're "bonding" I think I should add my own perspective on the Big Red Machine. I hated them. As a a Dodgers fan, I seriously seriously hated them, particularly in 75-76, when they had the Dodgers' number. But it was a different kind of hate than I had for the Yankees (or the Celtics). They were just too damned good, and knew it. While I never made it to Riverfront, I saw the Big Red Machine play at Dodger Stadium on numerous occasions. I can still remember the crowd booing Pete Rose and him lifting his hand to his ear like he couldn't hear them. On once occasion, however, I got a little too carried away. My friends and I had bought bottom level seats down in the corner and had gradually moved towards home plate throughout the game. By the end of the game, we were about ten rows back between third and the plate. In any event, Joe Morgan hit a go-ahead homer I think it was in the top of the 8th or 9th. And I lost it. As he rounded third I stood and yelled "I hate you, you effin chicken!" Only I didn't say effin. (I called him "chicken" because of the way he flapped his elbow while batting.) To my surprise, however, he actually heard me and turned his head to see who was yelling at him and he looked right at me. And I saw hurt on his face. I'll never forget that. Within a year or two, I had a similar incident with J.R. Richard, who dominated the Dodgers for a time, and then had a stroke. To this day, I feel guilty about yelling at these guys, who would have been heroes to me should they have been Dodgers.

Edited by Pat Speer

10 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

As long as we're "bonding" I think I should add my own perspective on the Big Red Machine. I hated them. As a a Dodgers fan, I seriously seriously hated them, particularly in 75-76, when they had the Dodgers' number. But it was a different kind of hate than I had for the Yankees (or the Celtics). They were just too damned good, and knew it. While I never made it to Riverfront, I saw the Big Red Machine play at Dodger Stadium on numerous occasions. I can still remember the crowd booing Pete Rose and him lifting his hand to his ear like he couldn't hear them. On once occasion, however, I got a little too carried away. My friends and I had bought bottom level seats down in the corner and had gradually moved towards home plate throughout the game. By the end of the game, we were about ten rows back between third and the plate. In any event, Joe Morgan hit a go-ahead homer I think it was in the top of the 8th or 9th. And I lost it. As he rounded third I stood and yelled "I hate you, you effin chicken!" Only I didn't say effin. (I called him "chicken" because of the way he flapped his elbow while batting.) To my surprise, however, he actually heard me and turned his head to see who was yelling at him and he looked right at me. And I saw hurt on his face. I'll never forget that. Within a year or two, I had a similar incident with J.R. Richard, who dominated the Dodgers for a time, and then had a stroke. To this day, I feel guilty about yelling at these guys, who would have been heroes to me should they have been Dodgers.

I lived in Houston as a kid for about three years (during the days of Luv Ya Blue/Earl Campbell teams and the rainbow uniforms of the Astros).  I saw the Reds play in the Astrodome a few times.  J.R. Richard was a beast.

1 hour ago, Pat Speer said:

As long as we're "bonding" I think I should add my own perspective on the Big Red Machine. I hated them. As a Dodgers fan, I seriously seriously hated them, particularly in 75-76, when they had the Dodgers' number. But it was a different kind of hate than I had for the Yankees (or the Celtics). They were just too damned good, and knew it. While I never made it to Riverfront, I saw the Big Red Machine play at Dodger Stadium on numerous occasions. I can still remember the crowd booing Pete Rose and him lifting his hand to his ear like he couldn't hear them. On once occasion, however, I got a little too carried away. My friends and I had bought bottom level seats down in the corner and had gradually moved towards home plate throughout the game. By the end of the game, we were about ten rows back between third and the plate. In any event, Joe Morgan hit a go-ahead homer I think it was in the top of the 8th or 9th. And I lost it. As he rounded third I stood and yelled "I hate you, you effin chicken!" Only I didn't say effin. (I called him "chicken" because of the way he flapped his elbow while batting.) To my surprise, however, he actually heard me and turned his head to see who was yelling at him and he looked right at me. And I saw hurt on his face. I'll never forget that. Within a year or two, I had a similar incident with J.R. Richard, who dominated the Dodgers for a time, and then had a stroke. To this day, I feel guilty about yelling at these guys, who would have been heroes to me should they have been Dodgers.

Thanks for sharing all those memories, Pat. Very interesting. And, as a Reds fan, I of course wasn't exactly rooting for your Dodgers either. It was quite a rivalry in the '70s, to be sure. Any fan was lucky to get a seat in the 26th row of the red seats when L.A. came to Riverfront in those days (that's the last row of the top deck; and I sat up there for a Mets-Reds doubleheader on July 11, 1975; that ticket stub is in the photo montage I linked earlier).

And you were speaking of the great James Rodney Richard. I happen to have this handmade logo (and radio highlights) featuring ol' J.R., exactly three months to the day before he suffered his stroke....

Reds-Astros-Baseball-Game-April-30-1980-Logo.png

And here's a game I found recently that might appeal to you, Pat. It has the legendary Vin Scully calling the action at Riverfront in 1971. A very good game too (the Reds won).....

AVvXsEilTveOUQNdMeapVj6ByWFclSVHFMylQAZ-zLuM2fAdi4IIqGuyEeTPE5hmgU-afBjw54WHtNcphp--ka1k_BGCERNZH1OufP7jqebHCNgBndJONFc1xPvWaluRoyfgOerjnQ02uZcAwSlzTQTssdy1GFfAxQV1zP2fqtgT0EmZ7oLY8b0uNaECmQXn=s387

Edited by David Von Pein

7 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

Thanks for sharing all that stuff, Pat. Very interesting. And, as a Reds fan, I of course wasn't exactly rooting for your Dodgers either. It was quite a rivalry in the '70s, to be sure. You were lucky to get a seat in the 26th row of the red seats when L.A. came to Riverfront in those days (that's the last row of the top deck; and I sat up there for a Mets-Reds doubleheader on July 11, 1975; that ticket stub is in the photo montage I linked earlier).

And you were speaking of the great James Rodney Richard....

Reds-Astros-Baseball-Game-April-30-1980-Logo.png

And here's a game I found recently that might appeal to you, Pat. It has the legendary Vin Scully calling the action at Riverfront in 1971. A very good game too (the Reds won).....

AVvXsEilTveOUQNdMeapVj6ByWFclSVHFMylQAZ-zLuM2fAdi4IIqGuyEeTPE5hmgU-afBjw54WHtNcphp--ka1k_BGCERNZH1OufP7jqebHCNgBndJONFc1xPvWaluRoyfgOerjnQ02uZcAwSlzTQTssdy1GFfAxQV1zP2fqtgT0EmZ7oLY8b0uNaECmQXn=s387

Vinnie was like an uncle to me growing up. I certainly spent more time listening to his voice than any other voice, with the possible exception of Johnny Carson. After Johnny retired, of course, there was basically Vin Scully, along with Lakers announcer Chick Hearn, and rock DJ Jim Ladd. 

Edited by Pat Speer

35 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Vinnie was like an uncle to me growing up. I certainly spent more time listening to his voice than any other voice, with the possible exception of Johnny Carson. After Johnny retired, of course, there was basically Vin Scully, along with Lakers announcer Chick Hearn, and radio DJ Jim Ladd. 

Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall (as mentioned earlier) were my guys on the radio. Along with Al Michaels (in 1971, 72, and 73 on the Reds network). Al has been a favorite sports voice of mine for many years. I've got a page on my site devoted to him, in fact. ....

Al-Michaels-Interviews-And-Baseball-Games-Logo.png

Edited by David Von Pein