The Education Forum

Roger Craig's (Lack Of) Credibility

I believe Roger Craig.

There's support for his observations about the discovery of the Mauser. If there wasn't the picture of him in the Sherriff's office he would have been branded a l*i*a*r over that. He didn't become rich and famous. No one outside JFK forums knows his name or his story. He could have just kept quiet or supported the official story like so many others did. He knew the risk he was taking.

It seems that Craig was shot at, his car exploded, another car was forced off the road, and his life apparently ended in suicide: shooting himself in the chest with a rifle that he didn't own. Now his reputation and his honesty are still under attack decades later. In my opinion, it's a shame. It's because of the courage of individuals like Craig who put the truth above their personal interest that we have as much information as we do about what actually happened that day.

"Mystery Deaths" Addendum....

Today I dug up one more newspaper—the Corpus Christi Times—which confirms that the death of Domingo Benavides' brother, Eddy, occurred in February of 1965, not in 1964. Click to enlarge:

Corpus-Christi-Times-Feb-17-1965%20(Bullet%20Wound%20Fatal).jpg

Lots more "Benavides / Benavidez" Talk:

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2015/10/jfk-assassination-arguments-part-1059.html

Edited by David Von Pein

2 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

"Mystery Deaths" Addendum....

Today I dug up one more newspaper—the Corpus Christi Times—which confirms that the death of Domingo Benavides' brother, Eddy, occurred in February of 1965, not in 1964. Click to enlarge:

Corpus-Christi-Times-Feb-17-1965%20(Bullet%20Wound%20Fatal).jpg

Lots more "Benavides / Benavidez" Talk:

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2015/10/jfk-assassination-arguments-part-1059.html

Conspirators:  "Let's intimidate Domingo Benavides (or even try to kill him) a year AFTER he testifies to the Warren Commission.  I mean, what's the hurry?"

Edited by Bill Brown

Apparently this needs to be repeated:

Roger Craig in 1968:  No clue what time the Tippit shooting occurred

Roger Craig in the early 70's (when trying to sell his manuscript):  Heard of the shooting, looked at his watch, 1:06

22 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

If you remove Forrest you can add Marion Meharg. Witness to the Rambler who afterwards got mixed up in a bizarre saga with the FBI. Also Richard Randolph Carr. 

Tom, no-- Meharg was a real person with a story. Carr was a real person with a story. What Pat Speer's work on Kurtz raises is--apparently, as unbelievable as this sounds--it looks like Kurtz was making up names of people who don't exist. Helen Forrest, who was she? Was she ever identified or found? No. So Helen Forrest is not an issue of credibility of a person with a story (as with Meharg and Carr). It is an issue of WAS there a Helen Forrest who ever HAD any such story, did she EXIST. Pat Speer's work on Kurtz was surprising to me when I first read it, but Pat showed the goods. And to think Kurtz was an academic, a professor of American history in a university, and just making up witness reports. What remains missing in the Kurtz story is some explanation of why, some followup, what was going on with that. But that he fabricated witness interview claims big-time is hardly in doubt after Speer. Any claim of a witness that goes to a Kurtz footnote, big red flag unless verified elsewhere. 

On 7/28/2022 at 11:16 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Was it 61 or 62 when Roger Craig was proclaimed, with Sherriff Decker's approval of course, the Sherriff's Department Man of the Year? 

How does it matter that he was the Man of the Year. Does it prove he was honest? He was just doing his job when he did the thing he won that award. I think it was a jewerly thief that Craig arrested by chance when the thief got into a car accident.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:31 AM, Gil Jesus said:

I don't know why these authors do these things. It's like you have to check if they have sources and if they do, then look up the sources to see if that's what the witness said.

For example, Armstrong has Hill asking Oswald if the gun is his and Oswald responds, "No it's the suspect's " ( H&L, pg. 870 ). His reference is Hill's testimony at 7 H 54. But when you look up the testimony, you find out that Hill wasn't even talking to Oswald, he was talking to Det. Bob Carroll, who handed him the gun.

It's very frustrating because when one author makes a mistake, everyone who uses that info will make the same mistake.

There was a quote in a book I was reading that sourced back to an old book. I then found this quote in other books, all sourcing back to that book. When I read the book, however, it sourced back to a magazine article. It became clear to me at this point that none of the authors had ever read this article for themselves, and were simply quoting another author's take on that article. So I decided to read the full article. But none of the libraries I went into had it, and I couldn't find it online. So, upon visiting Dallas, I actually went into the Sixth Floor Museum's library, and asked the Librarian if they had the magazine. They did. And the staff was actually excited to help me solve the mystery of whether or not the article said what book after book had claimed it said. It took awhile but they located the magazine in some room not open to the public, and not in the main library. In any event, when I looked through the magazine it took me awhile to find the quote, but I finally found it. While book after book had attributed the quote to Howard Brennan, the article did not mention him by name, as I recall, and had attributed the quote to an "eyewitness" or some such thing. In any event, I ultimately decided that this witness was indeed Brennan. But the author of the first book could have been wrong about this, and the numerous authors to reference his book could very well have been spreading a myth. 

1 hour ago, Denis Morissette said:

I'm destroying Roger Craig in this blog.

https://jfkassassinationfiles.wordpress.com/2018/03/29/roger-craig/

I was contacted at one point by a man claiming to be Craig's nephew, if I recall. He saw that I'd presented Mike Brownlow as a possible eyewitness to the shooting, and wanted me to know that Brownlow had taken to claiming he was friends with Roger Craig, when this wasn't true, and that he considered Brownlow to be a serial fabricator. He said further that he believed his uncle was mentally ill at the time of his death, and that no one in the family suspected foul play. 

I have written very little about Craig. I find the whole subject depressing. But it seems quite likely he honestly believed he saw Oswald (or someone looking like Oswald) run down the slope and get into a Rambler, and was knocked a bit off center when no one would believe him. 

Edited by Pat Speer

6 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

I was contacted at one point by a man claiming to be Craig's nephew, if I recall. He saw that I'd presented Mike Brownlow as a possible eyewitness to the shooting, and wanted me to know that Brownlow had taken to claiming he was friends with Roger Craig, when this wasn't true, and that he considered Brownlow to be a serial fabricator. He said further that he believed his uncle was mentally ill at the time of his death, and that no one in the family suspected foul play. 

I have written very little about Craig. I find the whole subject depressing. But it seems quite likely he honestly believed he saw Oswald (or someone looking like Oswald) run down the slope and get into a Rambler, and was knocked a bit off center when no one would believe him. 

"I was contacted at one point by a man claiming to be Craig's nephew, if I recall."

Yes.  Jerry Craig has posted in a number of the groups and forums over the years, though I haven't seen anything from him in quite a while, years.

"I have written very little about Craig. I find the whole subject depressing. But it seems quite likely he honestly believed he saw Oswald (or someone looking like Oswald) run down the slope and get into a Rambler, and was knocked a bit off center when no one would believe him."

I agree that Craig did indeed see a man come down the slope and get into a station wagon.

When I attack Craig's credibility, it is on his claim (when trying to get his manuscript published) that he heard of the Tippit shooting over a nearby police radio and looked at his watch, noting that it read 1:06... even though a few years earlier he was totally clueless about what time the Tippit shooting occurred, saying that it was about 1:45 and then easily accepting Penn Jones' correction that it was at 1:15. 

This doesn't even take into account his statement in 1968 (in the article with the LA Free Press) that he had no idea what make the rifle was since he didn't know foreign rifles, though at other times he insisted it was a Mauser.

Edited by Bill Brown