The Education Forum

#1198 - Gerald Posner

1 hour ago, Robbie Robertson said:

Well that would be a assumption which is not correct, people get permission to use content or even a link I was unaware it wasn’t going to my channel when a link was embedded so I fix that on all sites it should direct to the channel.

"So that’s how you get your footage" sounded accusatory to me (but I'm not privy to every nuance of the English language).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the video. I have some thoughts on embedding. I think enabling it may help your channel, particularly if you end the video with a verbal prompt directing people to subscribe and to check out your other podcasts. I had a great deal of success sharing videos in another domain some years ago to forums and social media, ultimately interested parties would seek further content on my YouTube channel directly. 

Right now we get a “video unavailable” message and no preview image / description. IMHO you want to do everything you can to entice the clicks. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris

12 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

"So that’s how you get your footage" sounded accusatory to me (but I'm not privy to every nuance of the English language).

I mean you could just ask if that’s what I meant, in hindsight probably should have crafted a longer sentence but I also don’t spend all day looking on the forums to write essays

1 minute ago, Chris Barnard said:

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the video. I have some thoughts on embedding. I think enabling it may help your channel, particularly if you end the video with a verbal prompt directing people to subscribe and to check out your other podcasts. I had a great deal of success sharing videos in another domain some years ago to forums and social media, ultimately interested parties would seek further content on my YouTube channel directly. 

Right now we get a “video unavailable” message and no preview image / description. IMHO you want to do everything you can to entice the clicks. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris

That doesn’t get me clicks if you go to video button it will take you to the youtube

a embedding of a video doesn’t go to my analytics which is why I removed the embedded feature 

6 minutes ago, Robbie Robertson said:

I mean you could just ask if that’s what I meant, in hindsight probably should have crafted a longer sentence but I also don’t spend all day looking on the forums to write essays

DVP asked you what you meant, but I still don't understand why you were so hostile. Why were you so hostile?

3 minutes ago, Robbie Robertson said:

Lol i think I just explained it’s not how I meant and your assumption of it being hostile. 

"So that’s how you get your footage" was just a friendly dig? Perhaps a smiley would have helped 😉

40 minutes ago, Robbie Robertson said:

Lol i think I just explained it’s not how I meant and your assumption of it being hostile. 

The owner of a video has every right to determine how that video will be distributed.

If the lone nutters are focusing on you, it's because they feel guilt that they screwed up. 

When they don't like the message, they go after the messenger.

That's what they do.

I agree with Robbie. He is the creator of the content, he should have the right to build the brand by getting clicks. I assumed his comment was a sarcastic joke. It probably did look like his changing was due to DVP, but that's just probably when he realized it wasn't directing to his site. I think we should assume good intentions. And like he said, just ask him what he meant - he cleared it up.

4 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

The owner of a video has every right to determine how that video will be distributed.

If the lone nutters are focusing on you, it's because they feel guilt that they screwed up. 

When they don't like the message, they go after the messenger.

That's what they do.

DVP did absolutely nothing wrong, so the tone of RR's response remains somewhat of a mystery (at least to me).

6 minutes ago, Derek Thibeault said:

I agree with Robbie. He is the creator of the content, he should have the right to build the brand by getting clicks. I assumed his comment was a sarcastic joke. It probably did look like his changing was due to DVP, but that's just probably when he realized it wasn't directing to his site. I think we should assume good intentions. And like he said, just ask him what he meant - he cleared it up.

If RR is averse to free publicity, it's his privilege to refuse it, of course.

Its good to test analytics from time to time. It might be that Robbie tests the idea of not allowing embedding but finds it makes no difference with regard to clicks and then goes back to allowing embedding again. Personally when i watch a video on DVPs site i dont watch the video on his site itself but click through to watch it on youtube and usually save it to my youtube playlist to finish watching later on. I'd imagine that would register in the analytics of the youtube channel of the content creator and count as a click. DVP is providing a good resource by providing a collection of videos on any given topic in the JFK case in the one place for JFKs researchers to study, and i'd imagine this benefit gets transferred in most cases to the youtube channel when someone clicks through. 

I'm not positive, but I would think that embedding individual videos would very much help and aid a channel's overall viewership and analytics. Plus, YouTube does, indeed, provide a handy link at the top of every embedded video that takes you directly to that channel's main (Home) page. And when you mouse-over the channel icon in the upper left (the portrait of JFK in my example below), the full name of the channel pops up. So, YouTube has done a nice job of providing the dual functionality (within the same embedded player) of having the ability to embed individual videos while also being able to access the channel's home page in one easy click. Plus, the option is also provided (twice) to watch the embedded video on the YouTube site too. It's a win-win-win situation if you ask me. Which is why I always allow my videos to be embedded into other websites:

Edited by David Von Pein

31 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

I'm not positive, but I would think that embedding individual videos would very much help and aid a channel's overall viewership and analytics. Plus, YouTube does, indeed, provide a handy link at the top of every embedded video that takes you directly to that channel's main (Home) page. And when you mouse-over the channel icon in the upper left (the portrait of JFK in my example below), the full name of the channel pops up. So, YouTube has done a nice job of providing the dual functionality (within the same embedded player) of having the ability to embed individual videos while also being able to access the channel's home page in one easy click. Plus, the option is also provided (twice) to watch the embedded video on the YouTube site too. It's a win-win-win situation if you ask me. Which is why I always allow my videos to be embedded into other websites:

Embedded a video like that and you didn’t put a description as to where it is or how to find the channel and it can be watched from your site without going to YouTube is the problem. My watermark and title is the only thing it shows instead of the channel. The analytics for a video has 6% for website sources which means others have my work embedded in their profile and it can be viewed with no description so I removed the embedded and it’s just a link. If I’m the creator of the video yet it can be watched for free on a persons site without permission or description and it doesn’t supply to views or other related content is something I don’t like regardless of the person so it’s not a personal conflict.